BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

Premier League 23-24

17 minutes ago, Mike E said:

Why would something that’s not happened (and already announced as happening previously) be on the news? Unless there’s been an injury to Chloe Kelly or something?

Never heard of previews? The build-up to big games??

News from the WWC England camp was on all the main networks, except the BBC, which chose to have a piece on ManU v Wolves

The news editor needs a good bollocking

• Backroom
11 minutes ago, jim mk2 said:

Never heard of previews? The build-up to big games??

News from the WWC England camp was on all the main networks, except the BBC, which chose to have a piece on ManU v Wolves

The news editor needs a good bollocking

Ofc I’ve heard of previews, and when on the news they’re irritating and not informative in the slightest.

Literally no reason for the game to be on the news today.

Tomorrow, ‘before the big game’ etc is good. Today? What’s the point? And I wish it was this way with the men’s internationals too, they’re irrelevant to the news.

The final, maybe. Winning it abso-fucking-lately.

45 minutes ago, Mike E said:

Ofc I’ve heard of previews, and when on the news they’re irritating and not informative in the slightest.

Literally no reason for the game to be on the news today.

Tomorrow, ‘before the big game’ etc is good. Today? What’s the point? And I wish it was this way with the men’s internationals too, they’re irrelevant to the news.

The final, maybe. Winning it abso-fucking-lately.

Nationals have been full of England stories right through the WWC and particularly since the quarters - great reading

Decent piece on the BBC 10pm news tonight but the BBC were out of order last night. There is no news value in ManU v Wolves.

Goods news editors are like good footballers - worth paying for. You're sacked

4 minutes ago, jim mk2 said:

Nationals have been full of England stories right through the WWC and particularly since the quarters - great reading

Decent piece on the BBC 10pm news tonight but the BBC were out of order last night. There is no news value in ManU v Wolves.

In comparison to mens football where would you place the women players at the world cup. I would put them at schoolboy level.

• Like 1

• Backroom
33 minutes ago, jim mk2 said:

I’m not a news editor, I’m someone who watches the news. And I didn’t care that the women’s match wasn’t on the news, nor did my wife (who plays locally and has had me watching as much of the WC as I had her watching the men’s).

We watch BBC for news because it covers what’s important, not what’s popular, that’s why it’s worth watching.

That it covered the WC tonight just proves it knew what it was doing, and maybe has it’s finger on the pulse better than you do.

22 hours ago, arbitro said:

Tell me one that is worse.

Let's go Premier League exclusively?

Numerous times where the lines have been messed up for offside decisions (West Brom 21/22 I think?) or the entire phase of play hasn't been factored in (Arsenal vs Brentford last season). Those are black-and-white instances where the technology has been incorrectly used. That's just a factual error. No debate. Clearly worse.

Rodri's handball against Chelsea a couple of seasons ago? The goal that wasn't given when the ball crossed the line in the Sheffield United vs Villa game (I think it was)? 

Those are literally off the top of my head and just focusing on the Premier League. If I took a bit longer and looked back through examples I think I'd find dozens that were clearly worse.

But recency bias always comes into things when these debates take place.

Wrong decision? Sure. Worst ever? Give me a break.  

1 hour ago, Eddie said:

Some of your examples are a fail in technology, or a secondary factor not being accounted for.

Monday nights was one of the worst ones I have seen where the VAR official has looked at a single incident and decided it is (or isn't) a foul judged on the laws of the game.

• Backroom

I'm not sure it matters where it ranks in all-time greatest VAR mistakes, but it's such an obvious foul and penalty that it's genuinely mystifying how it couldn't be given. I really don't know what explanation you could give as the VAR official that would make any sense. I know the officials involved have now been axed for this weekend, but it doesn't help Wolves at all, and still begs the question of how a group of officials could be so incompetent as to miss such an obvious foul. 

There is absolutely no point in having VAR if it isn't catching such clear and obvious errors in a referee's call. That is literally what it's supposed to be for. 

• Like 6

2 hours ago, DE. said:

I'm not sure it matters where it ranks in all-time greatest VAR mistakes, but it's such an obvious foul and penalty that it's genuinely mystifying how it couldn't be given. I really don't know what explanation you could give as the VAR official that would make any sense. I know the officials involved have now been axed for this weekend, but it doesn't help Wolves at all, and still begs the question of how a group of officials could be so incompetent as to miss such an obvious foul. 

There is absolutely no point in having VAR if it isn't catching such clear and obvious errors in a referee's call. That is literally what it's supposed to be for. 

For me VAR is not the problem; It is the people employed to interpret it. They seem to be trying to make contentious decissions, rather than correct ones.

• Like 2

4 hours ago, Eddie said:

Numerous times where the lines have been messed up for offside decisions (West Brom 21/22 I think?) or the entire phase of play hasn't been factored in (Arsenal vs Brentford last season). Those are black-and-white instances where the technology has been incorrectly used. That's just a factual error. No debate. Clearly worse.

Rodri's handball against Chelsea a couple of seasons ago? The goal that wasn't given when the ball crossed the line in the Sheffield United vs Villa game (I think it was)? 

Those are literally off the top of my head and just focusing on the Premier League. If I took a bit longer and looked back through examples I think I'd find dozens that were clearly worse.

But recency bias always comes into things when these debates take place.

Frank Lampards "goal" - Goal Line technology?

• Backroom
1 hour ago, rigger said:

For me VAR is not the problem; It is the people employed to interpret it. They seem to be trying to make contentious decissions, rather than correct ones.

I'm not sure if there's terminology to separate the officials from the system, but yes, it's the people in charge of it that are at fault. The system will have given them everything they needed to make the right decision, but they somewhat inexplicably didn't make the correct call.

• Like 2

20 minutes ago, DE. said:

I'm not sure if there's terminology to separate the officials from the system, but yes, it's the people in charge of it that are at fault. The system will have given them everything they needed to make the right decision, but they somewhat inexplicably didn't make the correct call.

I have always said that you don't need to be an active or recently retired referee to be a VAR. The laws of the game can be learned in a few days which obviously is a prerequisite and then knowledge of the game and you have the credentials. Sadly I don't think it will ever happen but for me it's a way forward.

11 minutes ago, arbitro said:

I have always said that you don't need to be an active or recently retired referee to be a VAR. The laws of the game can be learned in a few days which obviously is a prerequisite and then knowledge of the game and you have the credentials. Sadly I don't think it will ever happen but for me it's a way forward.

Jobs for the boys.

1 hour ago, arbitro said:

I've always said that an ex-pros should be in there too to offer their take. They know the tricks.  

• Like 2

those two officials (the ref and the var user)from the utd/wolves game should never officiate ever again.it was such a poor decision to me it smelled a bit of corruption,there probably was`nt but it does make you wonder how you can come to such a shocking piece of incompetence when you get to have an unlimited look at it on a monitor

• Like 1

Just now, speeeeeeedie said:

I've always said that an ex-pros should be in there too to offer their take. They know the tricks.  

I think all the officials involved should discuss the situation and come to a reasoned decission. It works at rugby. 

• Like 1

On 15/08/2023 at 08:03, K-Hod said:

Wolves still can’t score goals and they’ve no money to remedy that problem. I think they’re going to be in for a very long season indeed.

I think Wolves will finish around 13th this season, They were excellent at Old Trafford and created plenty of good chances. 

On 15/08/2023 at 11:59, benhben said:

How are Chelsea still within FFP restrictions? I know they will have a big income via commercial deals, TV money etc but no champions league and they must have spent nearly £1billion over the last couple of years and are still bidding on every player going. Thought they wanted the squad to downsize. 

Their wage bill will be eye watering. 

cos they are spending the cost over a number of years and players are signing 8 years contract. 

The squad is massive for me and look like they will be signing another keeper and striker 

• Backroom
4 hours ago, arbitro said:

I can understand some VAR calls being controversial - even with the benefit of ten different replays from ten different angles, some decisions are still going to be contentious. Sometimes it's really difficult to make a judgement, VAR as a system helps but there's still an element of human consideration involved. That's quite okay.

Wolves non-penalty is truly baffling though. I can't think of a single reason not to give it. You only needed one replay to see it was obviously a foul, and would have instantly been given anywhere else on the pitch. I'm generally not one for conspiracies but it's either incompetency on a staggering scale from numerous people who should know better, or something weird was going on.

• Like 1

Judging by their latest statement it appears United are set to reinstate Mason Greenwood into their squad.

I'm stunned because its just plain wrong. It's an endorsement of domestic violence. Violence towards women, and rape. 

Purely from a PR perspective I can't believe United are contemplating this. The evidence in the public domain is clear as day. It's not just that they will have Greenwood playing for them, it's the fact the club have endorsed it. As a fan, how do you continue to support that? I can also see a lot of sponsors cutting ties with the club. I'm not sure United have fully understood the shit storm which is about to come their way.

Note for anyone who thinks Greenwood has been found not guilty. That's not true. The victim has withdrawn the complaint so the charges were dropped. Something which is very common in domestic violence cases.

One final point. There have been many reasons to say this over the years. But after this. Fuck Man United!

Feel free to remove if necessary mods, as I recognise its a sensitive topic.

• Like 6

8 minutes ago, ben_the_beast said:

Judging by their latest statement it appears United are set to reinstate Mason Greenwood into their squad.

I'm stunned because its just plain wrong. It's an endorsement of domestic violence. Violence towards women, and rape. 

Purely from a PR perspective I can't believe United are contemplating this. The evidence in the public domain is clear as day. It's not just that they will have Greenwood playing for them, it's the fact the club have endorsed it. As a fan, how do you continue to support that? I can also see a lot of sponsors cutting ties with the club. I'm not sure United have fully understood the shit storm which is about to come their way.

Note for anyone who thinks Greenwood has been found not guilty. That's not true. The victim has withdrawn the complaint so the charges were dropped. Something which is very common in domestic violence cases.

One final point. There have been many reasons to say this over the years. But after this. Fuck Man United!

Feel free to remove if necessary mods, as I recognise its a sensitive topic.

The only people I see actively wanting him back are from 3rd world back waters with next to no female rights laws. So I agree with you, I also cannot fathom how 3 men raised with western values, including ETH from one of the most liberal nations in the world, can basically say ‘yes that’s okay’. ETH does have previous, given his defence of Overmars being a pest & Quincy Promes stabbing someone.

A part of me wants him to play, so that he can be ripped apart mentally from the stands & physically from the opposition, make him suffer like he made her suffer.

• Like 1