BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

v Harrogate (a) - 31/8/23 - Carabao Cup

30 minutes ago, Miller11 said:

I’d go with that. Potentially some very interesting options on the bench. I’d expect Bloxham to get some minutes. 

Hilton, Hyam, Davies, Montgomery, Travis, Dolan, Bloxham, Nsangou, Leonard.

Presuming there is something occurring with Buckley .

Scott Wharton to start? Hyam can't play every game surely?

I'd say there would be 11 changes but we have some issues in defence. Scott Wharton surely will start and there might be a call up for an academy player, assume it would be Pat Gamble. Fullback is another issue as last I read, Batty was injured, which means we'll probably have to start both Pickering and Brittain/JRC.

Elsewhere, you'd imagine starts for Garrett, Markanday, Buckley & Tronstad.

Interesting to see if he gives Gallagher a start and then replaced by Leonard at some point.

2 minutes ago, Sweaty Gussets said:

Wahlstadt

Brittain  Gamble.  Wharton.  Batty

Tronstad.   Garrett

Markanday.     Bloxham    Dolan

Leonard

Team I think he'll pick. Probably wrong!

Buckley will start for sure. Can see Moran starting as well to start integrating him into the team. And probs more 433 that 4231. Reckon it will be

Wahlstadt

Brittain  Gamble.  Wharton.  Batty

Buckley    Tronstad.   Garrett

Markanday.   Leonard.  Moran   

• Like 1

• Herbie6590 changed the title to v Harrogate (a) - 31/8/23 - Carabao Cup

Apparently Pickering got a one match ban.

Hoping Gilsenan is back but apparently touch and go for him to be ready.

If all goes well, hopefully an opportunity for creative use of subs and one or two to get their first team debuts.

I cannot see JDT changing his match formation for this- expecting 4-2-3-1 and Rovers to press and play possession football.

Harrogate Town were certainly given a chunk of help by Morecambe in getting their 2-0 home win at the week=end. Message for Rovers is not to give them the chance to recover or recycle possession in advanced positions.

Edited by philipl

1 hour ago, islander200 said:

Iv not seen anything but surely Gilsenen is injured?In the squad for West Brom, man of the match v Walsall and then not seen in the squad again.

If he is fit then surely he would have been on the bench on Sunday?

I thought I was a picture of him in the BCD game against Carlisle last week. In fairness the pictures were on the Carlisle website and were predominantly their own players with ours in the background usually.

• Like 1

As I still haven't been able to get to a match this season, I'm reluctant to offer a team selection. Gutted to have to miss this one; when are we ever likely to play Harrogate again?

I just hope that Wahlstedt - finally - makes his debut and cements his place in the team. Sorry & all that to Pears, but that's the way of things.

Hope the team don't take things easy - don't think JDT will let them - and that we come home with our name still in the hat.🤞

I would shove dolan full back as a trial. Hes woeful going forward. But he might just solve us a full back crisis. He has the attributes, hes got some pace, hes fit enough to get up and down, and he does fill in well tracking back. he did on sunday when brittain was out of position. Its not the hardest position in the world to play. Might also free up having to get another full back in. 

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, ruggles1995 said:

I would shove dolan full back as a trial. Hes woeful going forward. But he might just solve us a full back crisis. He has the attributes, hes got some pace, hes fit enough to get up and down, and he does fill in well tracking back. he did on sunday when brittain was out of position. Its not the hardest position in the world to play. Might also free up having to get another full back in. 

Is that you Tony?

• Like 5

Anybody that can be rested simply has to be rested. We are struggling for bodies and its only August. 

The academy is being tested to the limit and beyond. 

Hence if we want a small squad to stay within FFP rules we need some players brought in  that are fit.

Id say Buckley has to start(or be loaned out). Id also be inclined to start Dolan again,particularly if he hasnt signed a new contract.

22 minutes ago, ruggles1995 said:

I disagree that Dolan has pace. Also every position is hard to play well. Also you don't say in which full-back position you would try him. Isn't Dolan right footed, I know he doesn't seem to be able to cross with his left.

I doubt JDT will want to risk playing Carter, Wharton & Hyam all together for the full 90, so maybe he'll give Patrick Gamble an opportunity at CB.

My predicted team:

Wahlstedt

Carter    Gamble     Wharton     Brittain

Tronstad     Buckley     Garrett

Markanday     Gallagher    Gilsenan

33 minutes ago, ruggles1995 said:

I wouldn't entertain any trialling of players in a competitive game. Last season we had a great run in this competition and brought some money in. To risk that by purposely playing players out of position is complete folly in my book and disrespectful to fans who are going.

• Like 2

8 minutes ago, arbitro said:

I wouldn't entertain any trialling of players in a competitive game. Last season we had a great run in this competition and brought some money in. To risk that by purposely playing players out of position is complete folly in my book and disrespectful to fans who are going.

hes a professional football player. We aren't asking a chef to play football. Wing and full back are not the hardest positions to adjust to if the player in question works hard off the ball which dolan can do. Its not like your playing a keeper outfield. Dolan would literally be playing in the same area of the pitch. he will just be more in his own half than usual. Likes of ashley young, james milner have both done it. Look at matt cash at villa, hes gone from right back to right wing on the weekend. players that can play in the wide areas can adjust to playing wing or full back if they have the right attributes. We literally barely have any full backs and we have no money, and dolans been awful on the wing. Imo it would be worth a look, it wont do any harm, hes got more experience than a kid with no experience in there, and if he plays well might be able to save some money\loan\signing on a full back and it might help refresh his rovers career. 

29 minutes ago, rigger said:

I disagree that Dolan has pace. Also every position is hard to play well. Also you don't say in which full-back position you would try him. Isn't Dolan right footed, I know he doesn't seem to be able to cross with his left.

If you can play full back you can play either left or right, same as a winger. Obviously its easier to play on the side your stronger foot is. But hes full back, only needs to pass the ball 5\10 yards, not asking him to do anything spectacular. I wouldn't worry too much about his crossing from full back as we aren't the type of team that put umpteen crosses in the box a game. A defenders job ultimately is to defend, hes not the worst player off the ball, if you gave him a task to defend and mark a winger, and lets say he played left back, how many wingers cut in these days? lots, him being right footed on the left will be easier for him to defend as they will becoming onto his right foot. 

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, ruggles1995 said:

If you can play full back you can play either left or right, same as a winger. Obviously its easier to play on the side your stronger foot is. But hes full back, only needs to pass the ball 5\10 yards, not asking him to do anything spectacular. I wouldn't worry too much about his crossing from full back as we aren't the type of team that put umpteen crosses in the box a game. A defenders job ultimately is to defend, hes not the worst player off the ball, if you gave him a task to defend and mark a winger, and lets say he played left back, how many wingers cut in these days? lots, him being right footed on the left will be easier for him to defend as they will becoming onto his right foot. 

My point about Dolans crossing ability was to point out that he is not happy using his left foot. Any decent winger will work this out quickly and use it to their advantage. He will be beaten in the air as he hasn't got the physical presence. Dolan is nowhere near as good as Batty as a left-back, left- wingback, or left winger. I know it is an oldfashioned idea, but I like to play players in their favoured positions. For me Dolans favoured position is on the bench. 

18 minutes ago, ruggles1995 said:

I disagree with the highlighted statement. Only really good players do that to any effect.