BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

v Harrogate (a) - 31/8/23 - Carabao Cup

3 minutes ago, matt83 said:

Has any team previously had 7 different scorers in the same game. And have 3 substitutes ever scored for the same team in a game.

I wouldn't have thought, being allowed 3 or more subs has not been in the rules for long.

• Like 1

Good scoreline from a Rovers point of view but it amounted to little more than a training game and Harrogate were pitiful and their manager insulted the competition and embarrassed the club's fans by fielding such a weak team. It's about time clubs were sanctioned for doing it

3 hours ago, Sweaty Gussets said:

His was my favourite goal of the night, great team play and a cool finish. 

Good save with his feet, sign of a good keeper that. 

It's been the same in every game. It's only worked when the ball has found it's way to Wharton on the edge of the box and he can play those little through balls into the box (like the one Szmodics scored from at Rotherham)

The move ties up defenders who are there to defend players like SW leaving players free to move the ball, its a common tactic

12 minutes ago, jim mk2 said:

Good scoreline from a Rovers point of view but it amounted to little more than a training game and Harrogate were pitiful and their manager insulted the competition and embarrassed the club's fans by fielding such a weak team. It's about time clubs were sanctioned for doing it

It's difficult to sanction though - if they got sanctioned we'd also be on the hook as we made 10 changes. 

Pretty much every side does it in the cup, and any sanctions would be difficult to enact as the quality of the players replacing the 'first teamers' is extremely subjective. 

18 minutes ago, jim mk2 said:

It's upto the manager to pick the team he wants.

• Like 1

33 minutes ago, 47er said:

That manager should be apologising to Harrogate fans for his decision to make 9 changes because they "have an important game on Saturday." Biggest team they've ever played and he puts out a League 2 reserve team! He blew it.

They were pitifully bad, we practically walked through their defence.

Delighted for the young lads but really, have we ever played a worse side?

The manager should be safe though. His father owns the club.

28 minutes ago, jim mk2 said:

You're asking for the ones who financially engineer the important competitions to then regulate it. Don't waste your time.

If a manager wants to throw away a cup run, let them. The manager will have enough grief in his hands without external interference.

Furthermore, you could very easily argue that we have played weakened sides in this competition under Tomasson. Do we get punished under your ideals, too?

39 minutes ago, matt83 said:

Has any team previously had 7 different scorers in the same game. And have 3 substitutes ever scored for the same team in a game.

Liverpool had 8 different scorers when they beat Palace 9-0 in 1989, and 15 years earlier actually had 9 different scorers in an 11-0 European win against Strosmgodset. No idea about the subs question but I heavily doubt it.

13 minutes ago, goozburger said:

You're asking for the ones who financially engineer the important competitions to then regulate it. Don't waste your time.

If a manager wants to throw away a cup run, let them. The manager will have enough grief in his hands without external interference.

Furthermore, you could very easily argue that we have played weakened sides in this competition under Tomasson. Do we get punished under your ideals, too?

Not sure how you define weak though when we are knocking out much changed also Prem sides and reaching quarter finals.

A league 2 side resting the majority of its first team even against a Championship second string is always asking for trouble. Fielding your strongest side against a Championship very young second string gives you the best chance you'll have of progress and a money spinner next.

I'm not complaining but it's very naive management by them.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, the original david brent said:

My lad & I had a very enjoyable evening in the hospitality. I booked it the moment the draw was made as not part of 1875, and wanted to tick this ground off. It was only a small room, sold out very quickly and we had good company on a table of Rovers fans. 

Their manager did a pre match Q & A and surprised everyone when he said he had made 9 changes as the league match on Saturday is very important. Their fans weren’t happy about that as the match went on.

Excellent performance. The future is bright with some of these kids coming through. If you are standing out against League 2 opposition on your debut or 2nd appearance, like all of ours did, you have a bright future in the professional game.

As an aside, I thought our fans were unusually very quiet. I don’t recall their being one song. Indeed I thought the 20 or so Rovers fans in the home end hospitality seats were more animated, and the pre match itinerary included a directive not to display visual or audio support for the away team! At 7 nil down, the home fans were still singing. I just thought a record away win deserved a bit more atmosphere from those lucky enough to be there.

Must admit that you are spot on with your observation. I really enjoyed the evening as did all the Rovers fans present but it felt like a friendly atmosphere, just polite applause rather than vocal support, a bit surreal.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, Penwortham Blue said:

Must admit that you are spot on with your observation. I really enjoyed the evening as did all the Rovers fans present but it felt like a friendly atmosphere, just polite applause rather than vocal support, a bit surreal.

Standing next to a couple of scousers, turned out to be Edmondson’s Dad & Grandad, nice to see their reaction and pride when he slotted home the eighth goal. Looked a good prospect, as did most of the young lads, all motivated, enthusiastic and wearing the iconic blue and white with pride.

• Backroom
1 hour ago, jim mk2 said:

Only bit I disagree with because surely all players registered to the club should be eligible to play. It’s a squad game and nobody but the manager/head coach should get to decide who plays.

Edited by Mike E

8 hours ago, 47er said:

That manager should be apologising to Harrogate fans for his decision to make 9 changes because they "have an important game on Saturday." Biggest team they've ever played and he puts out a League 2 reserve team! He blew it.

Willington.

I watched the Rovers TV recording of the game in full and what an absolute pleasure and delight. Only our corner routines not working marred the spectacle.

We were relentless from start to finish.

Every player won individual battles and there was enough positional sense and awareness to get two players around virtually any threat before they developed.

Receiving on the half turn, turning with the ball and passing accuracy was superb throughout.

Buckley masterclass in central midfield. Markanday really intelligent play on the right.

In summary flawless JDT ball with the ball moving crisply all the time. Really liked how players were close or behind recipients so we didn't lose possession cheaply. All players knew where to move to so even blind passes found their man. 

All this AND

+ 5 players including keeper Leo making debuts

+ Moran first start

+ Gilsenan second appearance

+ Tronstad fifth appearance

+ Markanday seventh appearance (spread over 18 months)

+ Garrett I haven't counted but if he has as much as 800 first team minutes behind him, I would be amazed 

+ Scott Wharton, Buckley and even Gally short on recent game time.

To have a second eleven set up to play like a well oiled machine which can take a professional Football League team apart in those circumstances is little short of miraculous!

All the goals were class and had their keeper guessed low and chip in a different order when facing one on ones at the end it would have been 10.

I don't get the impression the magnitude of this achievement is registering with our fans.

Edited by philipl

Think you are getting a little carried away. We all enjoyed it, who wouldn’t? The development of these young lads is terrific, JDT’s approach to cup football is terrific.

But saying this one result against a fourth division second XI now means JDT’s now our best manager since Kenny, that it’s ‘miraculous’, that the ‘magnitude isn’t registering’ with these uniquely miserable east Lancastrians is just a *tad* hyperbolic.

As an example of your hyperbole, a side just seven places higher in the table than their opposition went there and won 7-0 a couple of years back, now that looks a far bigger achievement than giving Harrogate’s reserves a tonking. 

Edited by Mattyblue

23 hours ago, 47er said:

Reminds me of king rat dropping players for the Quarter final at Cardiff in 2011, we were 1 game from Wembley, 😤

https://www.lancashiretelegraph.co.uk/sport/9391782.full-time-cardiff-city-2-blackburn-rovers-0/

• Like 1

3 hours ago, philipl said:

I watched the Rovers TV recording of the game in full and what an absolute pleasure and delight. Only our corner routines not working marred the spectacle.

We were relentless from start to finish.

Every player won individual battles and there was enough positional sense and awareness to get two players around virtually any threat before they developed.

Receiving on the half turn, turning with the ball and passing accuracy was superb throughout.

Buckley masterclass in central midfield. Markanday really intelligent play on the right.

In summary flawless JDT ball with the ball moving crisply all the time. Really liked how players were close or behind recipients so we didn't lose possession cheaply. All players knew where to move to so even blind passes found their man. 

All this AND

+ 5 players including keeper Leo making debuts

+ Moran first start

+ Gilsenan second appearance

+ Tronstad fifth appearance

+ Markanday seventh appearance (spread over 18 months)

+ Garrett I haven't counted but if he has as much as 800 first team minutes behind him, I would be amazed 

+ Scott Wharton, Buckley and even Gally short on recent game time.

To have a second eleven set up to play like a well oiled machine which can take a professional Football League team apart in those circumstances is little short of miraculous!

All the goals were class and had their keeper guessed low and chip in a different order when facing one on ones at the end it would have been 10.

I don't get the impression the magnitude of this achievement is registering with our fans.

I'm impressed that Rovers reserves hammered a 4th Division team's reserves.

It registered, a bit like shooting ducks with a shotgun.