BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

v Harrogate (a) - 31/8/23 - Carabao Cup

16 minutes ago, Miller11 said:

Gilsenan - there was no doubt in my mind that freekick was hitting the back of the net the second he picked the ball up, you could see the confidence and you could just tell. He wanted the penalty too! Had a bit of a quiet spell before the end but that was down to all the changes and us becoming a bit less structured. Must be getting close to a league debut.

He was taking part in a shooting drill in the warm-up before the Accrington friendlies (the one where you play a one-two with someone on the edge of the box and then shoot from the D). He was bending most of them in the top corner every time. Looked a very confident striker of the ball.

10 minutes ago, philipl said:

The Cardiff game has been entered by Rovers in my calendar for Tuesday 26th.

All games get put in that date as a placeholder until someone works out what is going on TV and the fixtures around it etc.

Another thing to factor in is Leicester have drawn Liverpool. Liverpool have to play on the Sunday as they are in the Europa league on the Thursday previous.

So either Liverpool or Leicester get 2 games in 3 days that week too.

All points to our game with Cardiff being on the Wednesday and the Leicester being moved to Saturday 8pm.

Edited by MarkBRFC

26 minutes ago, Miller11 said:

One bugbear - Corners! Scott Wharton went up for every single one. Every single one went short. The second pass always went back to a defender in the half way line. They were rubbish! (I needed a Wharton goal for a bet where I’d have won £500, so surely a single cross wasn’t too much to ask!)

Really appreciate the update, thanks mate. On set pieces, did I dream this, or did we not appoint a set piece coach in the close season?! Yet to see any fruits, that's for sure.

9 minutes ago, Sweaty Gussets said:

IIRC there was a stat from last season too - don't think we won a single FA Cup tie under Mowbray. 

We did, but they were in round 1 and 2 back in the league one season.

We never got past the 3rd round under Mowbray.

I always hope fjr a big draw which is funny cause we could never escape them in the cups when we was up there how we never draw them but I suppose Cardiff at home very winnable, they won’t fancy the king journey north for this abd will be here for the taking. Tough games round that time too coming thick and fast so would like to see a half youth/fringe half 1st team lineup for that game hopefully make it easy and like last night switch you to save energy in the legs before a big encounter with Leicester 

51 minutes ago, Miller11 said:

Edmondson - seems to have quite an old head on young shoulders. Very sensible. Nice to see him get a goal and he’ll be among our youngest ever scorers. Like Bloxham it’s incredibly difficult to judge with the game being almost farcical by the time they got on.

His was my favourite goal of the night, great team play and a cool finish. 

52 minutes ago, Miller11 said:

Wahlstedt - had so little to do, but made one smart save. Distribution looks good. Seems a bit of a character and enjoyed the “Leo Leo” chants at the end.

Good save with his feet, sign of a good keeper that. 

53 minutes ago, Miller11 said:

One bugbear - Corners! Scott Wharton went up for every single one. Every single one went short. The second pass always went back to a defender in the half way line. They were rubbish! (I needed a Wharton goal for a bet where I’d have won £500, so surely a single cross wasn’t too much to ask!)

It's been the same in every game. It's only worked when the ball has found it's way to Wharton on the edge of the box and he can play those little through balls into the box (like the one Szmodics scored from at Rotherham)

30 minutes ago, Tugayisgod said:

Quite a telling stat this ....

Screenshot_20230831-091357.png

It is very obvious that the youngsters have taken to JDT's coaching like a duck to water. Their style is exactly what he wants and they fit in when they play like they've been there for months.

He's the best we've had since we were in the Premier League and if he walks away because the owners haven't supported him with transfers, I think the club will be in serious trouble.

JDT and Mowbray are like chalk and cheese yet they allowed us to stagnate under Mowbray for 5 years!

• Like 6

Believe in the process. Young men growing by the game and gaining vital experience. Proved that they can hold there own. What they are showing on the pitch is the Moto,These Lads are the rebuild of Blackburn Rovers. Will take time but we have some real talent and will move us forward financially and Take the next step

• Like 1

Mowbray was just one of any number of managers who just treat the early cup games as an opportunity to rest a few regulars and give a few bench players a run out whilst maybe blooding the odd kid.

Nothing unusual in what he did it's just old school stuff and how they tend to view these games. Similar to the the fans you only get the real hardcore turning out even though it's cheap and it's just a bit of a distraction from the pressure cooker of the league.

JDT has a whole new modern continental approach to it though but it wouldn't be possible without having an amazing and not cheap academy.  Something that many clubs similar to us don't have and at the moment it seems it is peaking from hard work started years ago in terms of lads ready to have a go.

It's the one thing, almost the only thing the ownership has got right here but i can't wait for these cup games to come around now.

• Like 3

12 minutes ago, tomphil said:

Mowbray was just one of any number of managers who just treat the early cup games as an opportunity to rest a few regulars and give a few bench players a run out whilst maybe blooding the odd kid.

Nothing unusual in what he did it's just old school stuff and how they tend to view these games. Similar to the the fans you only get the real hardcore turning out even though it's cheap and it's just a bit of a distraction from the pressure cooker of the league.

JDT has a whole new modern continental approach to it though but it wouldn't be possible without having an amazing and not cheap academy.  Something that many clubs similar to us don't have and at the moment it seems it is peaking from hard work started years ago in terms of lads ready to have a go.

It's the one thing, almost the only thing the ownership has got right here but i can't wait for these cup games to come around now.

I'm sure I read that last season Tomasson won more cup games than Mowbray did in five years.

• Like 1

Sunderland v Cardiff is on the Sunday because England women are playing at the Stadium of Light on the Friday night.

Something of a fixture crisis developing here. The logical solution is to tell Sky to pick a different game for their Friday night slot but doubt that will happen.

Don't think Cardiff will be keen on playing Tuesday night if they've been up to Sunderland on the Sunday afternoon. I'd be furious if Rovers agree to play Wednesday v Cardiff then Friday v Leicester.

2 hours ago, Rover_in_the_South said:

That manager should be apologising to Harrogate fans for his decision to make 9 changes because they "have an important game on Saturday." Biggest team they've ever played and he puts out a League 2 reserve team! He blew it.

They were pitifully bad, we practically walked through their defence.

Delighted for the young lads but really, have we ever played a worse side?

• Like 1