BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

That *was* the January Window

6 minutes ago, Torgeir said:

At least McFadzean and Hyam have formed a solid pairing prior, but wow....underwhelming signing. Turns 37 in less than a month.

It looks like Tom Atcheson is the next cab off the rank. He's 17 so I'm sure we'd rather not play him at CB if possible. 

1 hour ago, Torgeir said:

McKnob

Only reason he's half decent is because there's no VAR in the Champ.

He is not even half decent in the Championship any more

https://www.transfermarkt.co.uk/kyle-mcfadzean/leistungsdatendetails/spieler/32526/wettbewerb/GB2/saison/2023

Look at Coventry's results since he was dropped (along with Ayari who we also signed)

• Like 1

17 minutes ago, roversfan99 said:

You genuinely think that money or some of it will be waiting in the summer?

We do need leadership and experience. But that doesnt mean anyone with those qualities would suffice otherwise we would just re sign Colin Hendry.

Coventrys form has massively picked up since dropping him.

Do I think some of the Wharton money will be spent in the summer? Yes, absolutely. 

8 minutes ago, Polky said:

JDT said this week that he’s wanted to play a back three but the injuries have prevented him from doing so.

Coventry fans have stated that when they moved to a back four, McFadzean was dropped, with the system not suiting him

So we could be moving to a regular back three? Or if we’re holding onto a lead, he’s chucked on with 10/15 mins left to see the game out?

We've moved to a back 3 because we were getting monstered at set pieces. He simply wants another person that can win a header in the side - we don't really have enough players that can play WB to play the system. 

6 minutes ago, rog of the rovers said:

McFadzean also used to playing in a 3.

I'd imagine we're switching to a 3-5-2

Pears

Hyam - McFadzean - Scott/O'Riordan

Rankin-Costello - Tronstad

Dolan - Szmodics - Sigurdsson

Gallagher

A team thats hopefully good enough to get the 18+ points needed to not be relegated.

We struggle to win with 11 nevermind 9

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, rovers11 said:

Do I think some of the Wharton money will be spent in the summer? Yes, absolutely. 

I look forward to a spending spree totally inconsistent with any sale done in recent Venkys history.

After half a season in which we have one competent central midfielder.

• Like 2

1 minute ago, Exiled_Rover said:

We've moved to a back 3 because we were getting monstered at set pieces. He simply wants another person that can win a header in the side - we don't really have enough players that can play WB to play the system. 

Yet still every time we face a corner our players look around at each other completely confused.

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, Lancaster Rover said:

We’ve been crying out for a bit of a nasty bastard both on the pitch and around the training ground for ages. MacFazdean adds this, more than anything he might give a few a chasing and a kicking in training. His aggression from set pieces in training alone would do this group the world of good. 

As long as we're zonal marking he can bark and do whatever he likes and we won't improve on set pieces against. 

• Like 2

20 minutes ago, Darwen Rover 007 said:

I think we need a few players in yes 100%... 

But..

Just a  thought on not going mad today / tomorrow and becoming desperate because:

1.  We have some players coming back.

2.  We get a stop gap (the old guy).

3.  Unless we go really pete tongue it's unlikely we are going to get relegated or push for play offs.

We may as well take a sensible approach (I know) and recruit properly in the summer.  We all know January desperation moves often don't work out.

Just a thought..  

💯 

If we were pushing for promotion like last year then it would have been mad not to give it a proper go in Jan. Sadly our season is dead and buried. 

• Like 1

Just now, roversfan99 said:

I look forward to a spending spree totally inconsistent with any sale done in recent Venkys history.

They will figure out something creative to blame the lack of transfer funds on from now and until the summer.

1 minute ago, roversfan99 said:

Diaz, Rhodes, Gally, Hyam, Szmodics, Armstrong...none of them were cheap. 

1 minute ago, rovers11 said:

💯

If we were pushing for promotion like last year then it would have been mad not to give it a proper go in Jan. Sadly our season is dead and buried. 

With a win we're eight points behind Coventry with 51 points still to be played for. Can't rule out anything both ways, but going all out now doesn't make sense, I agree. 

Selling Adam on the final day doesn't make sense either, don't understand why we're rushing the deal with him being on a long contract and with the money not going to be spent now anyway.

• Like 2

5 minutes ago, rovers11 said:

I'm sure it will all be spent.

HMRC

Player wages

Waggott wages

Suhail Wages

Rent payments on what used to be our own training ground.

Other creditors

• Like 6

33 minutes ago, tomphil said:

The Coventry guy until the end of the season makes decent sense we are crying out for some experience and able back up in this squad.

Do you really believe that?

The bottom of barrels are being scraped here. Ditto McGuire.

We've £20m in the savings account now (allegedly). These freebies only indicate to me that they never had any decent long term signings lined up and don't intend to spend our newfound riches on players

Ignoring the incredible naivety about saving the pot of money for the summer, because it will be there and we will need time to plan replacements because this sale of Wharton at some stage was so unpredictable.

We came into this window needing to strengthen the squad.

We are going to replace Carter and Hill with a young lad from League 2 and a soon to be 37 year old. So weve lost not only quality but a bit of flexibility in terms of covering RB. Add in our regular LB injured replaced with a kid on loan.

We are replacing our best talent and also our captain with a loanee number 10 and theyll probably try and add Buckley to that, who even putting aside his inability to get into a botton 3 side, is injured for another few weeks. In reality, it will be down to Garrett to suddenly play week in week out, hes not ready for that.

Admittedly add a potential additional striker. But unless we get a couple of buys on top of McGuire and McFadzean, its bloody desperate and Im amazed anyone is deluded enough to claim otherwise.

• Like 9

3 minutes ago, Torgeir said:

With a win we're eight points behind Coventry with 51 points still to be played for. Can't rule out anything both ways, but going all out now doesn't make sense, I agree. 

I admire your optimism. I'll settle for staying up. 

• Like 3

Not sure why there is too much negativity on McFadzean signing. Adds experience to the backline that we are crying out for with Carter out for a few months and played with Hyam previously. Looked decent every time I've seen him play for Coventry.

• Like 7

4 minutes ago, rovers11 said:

Diaz, Rhodes, Gally, Hyam, Szmodics, Armstrong...none of them were cheap. 

The point is the reinvestment of sales. We didnt with Armstrong, Gestede, Cairney, Rhodes, we dont do that. Brereton and Rothwell, Venkys chose not even to get any money in for those.

Szmodics was our only 2m signing in 5 years, Hyam was 1.5m.

But none of these signings were funded by prior sales. This is why this model nonsense is exactly that.

3 minutes ago, Torgeir said:

Selling Adam on the final day doesn't make sense either, don't understand why we're rushing the deal with him being on a long contract and with the money not going to be spent now anyway.

Agree with all of the above.

I think the answer re selling Adam now making no sense has to be to do with the fact the hearing in India hasn't happened...

This might be the only way to guarantee the club doesn't end up with cashflow issues. Which is worrying because it means there might be no funds left to reinvest come summer

• Like 2

1 minute ago, roversfan99 said:

Ignoring the incredible naivety about saving the pot of money for the summer, because it will be there and we will need time to plan replacements because this sale of Wharton at some stage was so unpredictable.

We came into this window needing to strengthen the squad.

We are going to replace Carter and Hill with a young lad from League 2 and a soon to be 37 year old. So weve lost not only quality but a bit of flexibility in terms of covering RB. Add in our regular LB injured replaced with a kid on loan.

We are replacing our best talent and also our captain with a loanee number 10 and theyll probably try and add Buckley to that, who even putting aside his inability to get into a botton 3 side, is injured for another few weeks. In reality, it will be down to Garrett to suddenly play week in week out, hes not ready for that.

Admittedly add a potential additional striker. But unless we get a couple of buys on top of McGuire and McFadzean, its bloody desperate and Im amazed anyone is deluded enough to claim otherwise.

Summed up perfectly. JDT probably has his spreadsheet setup similarly to this. I disagree on Garrett not being ready, but we're looking as stretched as ever.

I actually don't mind us keeping most of our powder dry - assuming that there is any powder.

There are a couple areas of the squad that desperately need to be addressed, but good deals are rarely done in January. I'd like us to get some key pieces in to keep things from falling apart and to plan to really shape the squad this summer. 

• Like 1