BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

That *was* the January Window

1 minute ago, davulsukur said:

The risk is that he plays, isn't up to it and we end up back at square one, with no experience in the back line, surely?

Low risk financially but we are in a relegation battle. 

That's always a risk with any player. His legs going at some point is a risk with nearly any experienced signing too. Being nearly 37 increases that risk, but if his legs haven't gone yet, we only need them to hold out for a few more months. If they've already gone then it's a fucked signing of course.

To be clear, I'm not particularly in favour of this one. I'd have wanted someone more in the 26-31 bracket on a permanent for a few years, but this signing might turn out fine for the short term. Personally I'm thinking that (aside from the usual cheap pockets rationale) this one is about not 'blocking pathways' and all that. Since we have Carter out and O'Riordan and Atcheson we'll be looking to develop. Given the gaffer wanted a CB before the window, then we lost Hill and had Carter injured, we're still not really where he wanted us to be though.

I suspect we plan to go three at the back since apparently McFadzean is better in that role. A back 3 may also mitigate the risk of reduced pace.

7 minutes ago, B16Rover said:

One thing to be said for the new retiree is he looks like he can fit a new kitchen which is more can be said for anyone else at the club 

Wins the internet for today does this 👏

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, rog of the rovers said:

I was kinda hoping that for probably the last time in my life Rovers had signed someone older than me. Checks Wikipedia and I'm three days older than McFadzean 😪

Officially older than all the players now! 

We want strikers, experience, and a signing that makes us feel younger. I have the answer. 

Screenshot_20240131-172632.png

• Like 4

I find myself wondering if signing Ethan Brierley like we were supposed to would have set us up with a Wharton replacement (albeit probably not as good yet) in the medium term at least. Has only played one cup game for Brentford, but obviously they're a Prem team. Heard he was on their bench at least once. Ah well, we couldn't spell his agent's name and forgot to mention he was white or some shit, so fuck it.

• Like 3

12 minutes ago, bluebruce said:

There's a lot in here so I may have missed it, but we're accepting 1.5 mill for Dolan?? I've seen that Luton are interested but that's all.

That's the figure iv'e seen banded about but it should be double that for a lad of his age with experience he has now.

• Like 1

17 minutes ago, islander200 said:

McFadzean till end of the season isn't the worst signing , it's a bonus himself and Hyam will be familiar with eachother 

It does still show how badly the club is run and how shit our owners are that we can't spend a significant fee on a defender when we are bringing in a club record fee by selling our top prospect 

I wonder if the plan (if they have one) is to be competitive until the summer then use the Wharton money to improve the squad in a window which is easier to get players I.e good frees but offer increased wages etc

3 minutes ago, bluebruce said:

I find myself wondering if signing Ethan Brierley like we were supposed to would have set us up with a Wharton replacement (albeit probably not as good yet) in the medium term at least. Has only played one cup game for Brentford, but obviously they're a Prem team. Heard he was on their bench at least once. Ah well, we couldn't spell his agent's name and forgot to mention he was white or some shit, so fuck it.

Young Rory Finneran excuse the spelling will be the next player to be bedded in. Maybe this time next year we will see more of him. Looks a real talent and has that passing ability 

• Like 2

1 minute ago, Judge21 said:

I wonder if the plan (if they have one) is to be competitive until the summer then use the Wharton money to improve the squad in a window which is easier to get players I.e good frees but offer increased wages etc

Well, yes, that is exactly what Gregg will be telling us on Friday, but we've been there before (a few times) and the money has disappeared.

• Like 2

1 minute ago, Judge21 said:

I think the plan is to stay afloat and hope like hell that there are always 3 worse teams than us in the championship 

• Like 6

6 minutes ago, Judge21 said:

No doubt GB and JDT will be led to believe that there will be money to spend in the summer but when the time comes there will be some other excuse as to why they can only bring in frees and loans without selling anyone else 

1 minute ago, martonrover said:

Well, yes, that is exactly what Gregg will be telling us on Friday, but we've been there before (a few times) and the money has disappeared.

Not had that kind of money coming in since Gregg came in so let’s hope something changes to give us all hope.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, tomphil said:

That's the figure iv'e seen banded about but it should be double that for a lad of his age with experience he has now.

I agree, I'd be wanting at least double that for him (more like 5 mill for me, but I rate him more than others do), with a hefty sell-on attached. Especially from a Premiership club, and especially whilst we're three important team members down already from when the Jan window started (Travis, Hill, Wharton). That's a lot of disruption and money in already to be accepting bargain basement bids. 1.5 mill would really piss me off, though I'm sure the same people who thought we sold Raya for good money would be happy with it.

One thing that might change that dynamic of course is if Dolan has already indicated he won't sign an extension, meaning it's sell now or sell in the summer really. Though due to his age we're still protected by tribunal as long as we offer him a deal on equal or better terms in summer 25.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, Judge21 said:

Looks like philli has nailed it very concisely on the Venkys HMRC thread.

Assuming he is correct of course. 

6 minutes ago, Rover8T4 said:

Young Rory Finneran excuse the spelling will be the next player to be bedded in. Maybe this time next year we will see more of him. Looks a real talent and has that passing ability 

We still need to persuade Finneran to sign a deal when he turns 16. Then another I think when he turns 17, as you can't sign full pro terms until then if I'm remembering it rightly. Even then, he's probably not going to make more than a few cameos next season. He's super talented but super young, can't see him breaking in as a regular until two seasons from now at best.

• Like 3

2 minutes ago, Judge21 said:

Not had that kind of money coming in since Gregg came in so let’s hope something changes to give us all hope.

Yes, we can but hope, but Gregg is merely an employee, like all those who have gone before him over the last thirteen years.

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, bluebruce said:

I agree, I'd be wanting at least double that for him (more like 5 mill for me, but I rate him more than others do), with a hefty sell-on attached. Especially from a Premiership club, and especially whilst we're three important team members down already from when the Jan window started (Travis, Hill, Wharton). That's a lot of disruption and money in already to be accepting bargain basement bids. 1.5 mill would really piss me off, though I'm sure the same people who thought we sold Raya for good money would be happy with it.

One thing that might change that dynamic of course is if Dolan has already indicated he won't sign an extension, meaning it's sell now or sell in the summer really. Though due to his age we're still protected by tribunal as long as we offer him a deal on equal or better terms in summer 25.

Knowing us we’d miss the deadline for this.

6 minutes ago, bluebruce said:

We still need to persuade Finneran to sign a deal when he turns 16. Then another I think when he turns 17, as you can't sign full pro terms until then if I'm remembering it rightly. Even then, he's probably not going to make more than a few cameos next season. He's super talented but super young, can't see him breaking in as a regular until two seasons from now at best.

Scholarship at 16

Pro contract at 17 (but only allowed to sign for a max of 3 years)

Long term contract when he turns 18

• Like 1