BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

That *was* the January Window

Why would a potential snag (which has proven not to be material) in the Wharton deal lead to us panicking and cancelling MID-FLIGHT? Meaning it is now totally unsalvagable? It's like worrying your bus might be late so cancelling the event you were planning to attend, only for the bus to turn up and find you have nowhere to go. A lazy metaphor but it's just gross incompetence. There surely has to be more at play than that?

• Like 4

4 minutes ago, J*B said:

I don’t believe the local media reports for a second. They stink of reporting the Rovers PR line.

Think about it - why do you inform people at midnight that a transfer isn’t happening, for a flight that lands at 8AM if there’s a potential hiccup in the Wharton deal? You don’t! You wait until the morning when you get clarification on the Wharton situation because the player is on a plane regardless. The plane isn’t turning around, there’s no need to inform anyone the deal isn’t happening until the player is at Brockhall with a pen in his hand. 

Exactly.

India have said no to paying a fee for a player.

• Like 3

18 minutes ago, RoverDom said:

Rumours are we were looking to sell the canteen chairs as well but JDT blocked it cos we might need to use one to play centre mid at the weekend. 

Yes, we need a CM to sit in front of the defence. Better yet if it's some fresh legs.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, Lancaster Rover said:

The mid flight thing doesn't really add up, considering it's usually pretty difficult to contact people mid flight.

We contacted Orlando to say we couldn't go ahead with the deal 

McGuire was mid flight 

So the rumours look like they've potentially been exaggerated. It looked like the Wharton deal may be off last night and that's why we pulled the plug on cash signings. Wharton deal back on though.

Edited by rovers11

1 hour ago, Browjd said:

LET not even up and running with a Deadline Day feed. Chaos with all things Rovers at the moment...

Thry probably "don't want to comment on speculation or something already in the public domain". (Almost) as useless as Venkys. Part of the problem, the local media, not part of any solution.

2 minutes ago, rovers11 said:

So the rumours look like they've potentially been exaggerated. It looked like the Wharton deal may be off last night and that's why we pulled the plug on cash signings. Wharton deal back on though.

So, as expected, we sell Wharton and make an excuse as to not make any signings. 

• Like 8

The American sources wont be abrest of the Wharton situation. They wouldnt have known about a potential snag that has since been ironed out, so if that had fallen through, then that could in theory explain why we may have no longer been able to spend fees.

But as others have touched on. Why would be specifically say deal off mid flight and be so definitive? That suggests maybe its not as simple as a snag that has been ironed out.

3 minutes ago, rovers11 said:

I wouldn't say exaggerated. It is exactly what happened

Wharton deal could have collapsed so the Owners said no to McGuire very early

Suhail probably couldn't wait to feed the news back to Orlando

Let's be real, any normal club would have waited until the bloke landed. He had hours in the air left. Palace are always going to sign Wharton - he's had his medical, they have money. I don't really go into JHRover's line of conspiracy at the club, but this fucking stinks. If we don't sign McGuire it will not be because the Club had "difficulties", it will be because they did their best to show they "tried"

• Like 4

5 minutes ago, roversfan99 said:

The American sources wont be abrest of the Wharton situation. They wouldnt have known about a potential snag that has since been ironed out, so if that had fallen through, then that could in theory explain why we may have no longer been able to spend fees.

But as others have touched on. Why would be specifically say deal off mid flight and be so definitive? That suggests maybe its not as simple as a snag that has been ironed out.

Or India have turned round and said irrespective of the Wharton deal we won't be paying transfer fees out 

I wouldn't put it past us having an agreement with palace to announce the Wharton deal as late as possible 

• Like 1

Gregg: Fuck, the Wharton deal might not go through - and the Yank is flying over as we speak!
Swag: Well that aint happening is it, tell them to make a U-turn.
Gregg: Steve it's a flight not a taxi... plus, we've got 8 hours till he lands - why don't we just hold off and see what happens? They obviously can't turn ar...
Swag: Gregg, don't make me ask again. *bites a pie* Tell them it's off now, and to make a U-turn.

(Swag waddles off)

Gregg (head in hands): Fuck sake. Stacey, get me on the blower to Orlando please!

Edited by TheRevAshton
  • Like 6

16 minutes ago, J*B said:

I don’t believe the local media reports for a second. They stink of reporting the Rovers PR line.

Think about it - why do you inform people at midnight that a transfer isn’t happening, for a flight that lands at 8AM if there’s a potential hiccup in the Wharton deal? You don’t! You wait until the morning when you get clarification on the Wharton situation because the player is on a plane regardless. The plane isn’t turning around, there’s no need to inform anyone the deal isn’t happening until the player is at Brockhall with a pen in his hand. 

I'm not sure I believe it either, but there is a reason that I can see.

Orlando is 5 hours behind, so he's landing in the middle of the night local time for them. That means that it would be difficult for us to give them any update between about midnight and noon (when likely our admin are fully signing off for the day and when there's might be starting their day if people are paying extra attention given deadline day here).

It would actually be honourable to communicate a potential snag before he lands, but it still doesn't make some of the other information line up.  

• Like 3