BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

Connor O'Riordan

We have triggered a £500,000 release clause in the contract of Crewe Alexandra defender Connor O'Riordan.

Rovers want to make the defender their first signing of the January transfer window and are favourites to do so. Six other clubs, including four from the Championship, are also tracking the 20-year-old.

The Lancashire Telegraph understands Rovers have followed the progress of O'Riordan for a while and made bids to sign him in the summer transfer window.

However, they have now placed a bid of half a million to secure his services, with personal terms to be agreed. They're described as favourites for his signature with the young defender impressed by the pathway available at Ewood Park.

Anyone seen him play? One for the current campaign or more preparation for waggot and co. Preparing for a potential drop to L1? 

49 minutes ago, Rogerb said:

We might have triggered the clause but have we the Dosh ? I'll believe this when he has actually signed and in the building.

Brierley almost ticked those boxes but he’s a regular on Brentford’s bench now. I believe we’ve signed a player when I see him running out in a game at Ewood Park.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, K-Hod said:

Rovers fans: ‘we desperately need some experience, we’re lacking a striker and some leadership, especially in the middle of the park’.

Rovers: ‘hold my beer’.

It's crazy. Have we been linked with this guy for a while ?! Surely just get us some steel in MF and a striker!!

• 2 weeks later...

Connor O'Riordan remains a player of interest but negotiations are still ongoing with Crewe Alexandra about the structure of the deal. The defender has a 500K release clause in his contract and Rovers are still the front runners for the deal.

However, it's understood the club are keen to spread that payment due to their financial restraints, whilst Crewe are short of money themselves and want as much as possible up front.

Ffs

On 29/12/2023 at 15:45, K-Hod said:

Rovers fans: ‘we desperately need some experience, we’re lacking a striker and some leadership, especially in the middle of the park’.

Rovers: ‘hold my beer’.

Would this be something to do with buying players and flogging them for a profit?

I think we'll stay up this year but go down next unless there's significant changes. This sort of strange signing doesn't help

26 minutes ago, Sparks Rover said:

Hill going back and no replacement sorted.  When you are trying to spread 500k for a lower leagues prize asset you are taking the.piss....clubs gone.

I bet we don't replace Hill in the end.

Completely agree with the first part.

Hill I think we will replace, but it will be another premier league kid with somewhere between 0-20 games to there name.

It sounds like he wasn't originally going to go back but unfortunately due to injuries he's being recalled. It's hard to criticise for not having a ready replacement instantly available to buy. 

I'm also pleased to see that we're trying to find a way to structure the 500k deal for a unproven player to ensure our finances aren't going to bite us in the backside in the future, especially when we're constantly having one eye on the FFP line. 

If we do look for another young Premier League player on loan then fortunately we've done well in the past when signing young Premier League kids with hardly any experience. Harwood-Bellis, Adarabioyo, Van Hecke, and now James Hill to add to the list of players who have learned a lot here and done well. 

Edited by Tim Southampton Rover

1 hour ago, Tim Southampton Rover said:

I'm also pleased to see that we're trying to find a way to structure the 500k deal for a unproven player to ensure our finances aren't going to bite us in the backside in the future, especially when we're constantly having one eye on the FFP line. 

Crewe won't have that, 10k here and there...how are they going to replace him or that basis.  Joke our club.  Crewe have taken young Lewis Leigh from the nobbers on loan, maybe he's the replacement.

Strikes me as low class trying to spread 500k

29 minutes ago, Sparks Rover said:

Crewe won't have that, 10k here and there...how are they going to replace him or that basis.  Joke our club.  Crewe have taken young Lewis Leigh from the nobbers on loan, maybe he's the replacement.

Signing a midfielder to replace a centre back would seem to be a slight misstep on Crewe's part 😉 

https://www.transfermarkt.co.uk/lewis-leigh/leistungsdatendetails/spieler/747367/plus/0?saison=2023&verein=&liga=&wettbewerb=&pos=&trainer_id=

Edited by KentExile

Crewe would be stupid to accept our structuring a deal right now. If they've done even rudimentary research on us, they'll know our finances are uncertain until things are sorted out in India. If they let us delay payments, they might never see them.

31 minutes ago, Sparks Rover said:

As low class as taking a first choice GK on a loan with a guaranteed future fee so you can defer his payment to the next financial window?

• Like 4

1 hour ago, KentExile said:

Signing a midfielder to replace a centre back would seem to be a slight misstep on Crewe's part 😉 

https://www.transfermarkt.co.uk/lewis-leigh/leistungsdatendetails/spieler/747367/plus/0?saison=2023&verein=&liga=&wettbewerb=&pos=&trainer_id=

In that they may already have someone there to replace oriordan.....freeeing up the wage bill to bring in young Lewis.

1 hour ago, Upside Down said:

Have we not learned from the last two windows about starting new player threads before they've been signed?

I'm going to go out on a limb and say this deal won't happen and he'll move on to a proper club in the summer.

Steady on, we're very much a proper club...just highly improperly ran.

• 2 weeks later...

Crewe fan here - release clause set too low by previous manager for a 6 ft 6 " quick centre half who is going places. In my view trying to pay in instalments doesn't genuinely trigger release - money up front or nothing. You're not the only club interested (though PNE rumoured to want to do instalments too.)

ShropshireAlex

• Like 2

• 1 month later...
On 08/01/2024 at 18:49, simongarnerisgod said:

it`s nailed on we`ll **** about trying to pay on the never never and the lad will end up elsewhere,welcome to blackburn rovers 2010-2023

What happened to them nails? They were certainly there for Dunc McGuire...

I suspect we only finalised this one when we more or less knew the Wharton money was coming in, but Dunc was a step too far financially.

• Like 1

On 29/02/2024 at 19:05, roversfan99 said:

He played in the under 21s. They lost 6-2.

Cheers 

On 29/02/2024 at 20:01, bluebruce said:

What happened to them nails? They were certainly there for Dunc McGuire...

I suspect we only finalised this one when we more or less knew the Wharton money was coming in, but Dunc was a step too far financially.

Hope he gets to have a game with the first team soon, squad is thin. A Wharton red or a hyam injury and we are a bit buggered 

1 hour ago, NeilInBristol said:

Cheers 

Hope he gets to have a game with the first team soon, squad is thin. A Wharton red or a hyam injury and we are a bit buggered 

He's had 2 games with the first team so far.

• Like 1