BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

v Cambridge Utd (h) - 06/01/24 FA Cup R3

3 hours ago, Rover8T4 said:

A league one team with a terrible away record. There first goal was nice to be fair, The second, no one commanded the area well enough abit of pinball and we conceded. As the game went on we defended well. Hyam popping up underneath his own crossbar a few times to clear. Something Ayala was really good at. Still no faith in our no 1 at the moment. Looks shaken, Needs that one game where he dominates his box. Be braver, we all know keepers are well protected. Looks scared to get hurt for the cause

Leo looks like a schoolboy in the headlights and his confidence is shaken to the bone but to me he's looked like that since he arrived.

He's a complete novice in this league i don't care how many games he's had in a pub league of the one International cap he's nowhere near it at this level yet.  In an ideal world he needs a loan a league or two down so he is dealing with the high balls, crosses and rough stuff game in game out.

Just no presence to the lad whatsoever and opponents smell that fear a mile away.

• Like 2

Getting into the hat for the next round is the only thing that matters in the cup.  It was an entertaining game, particularly in the second-half.  However, on the downside, it was disappointing to see how easy our defence was ripped open  in the first half.  We simply can't keep giving away these easy goals.  This is something JDT has to sort out sooner rather than later.  Don't mind if it's a change of personnel or system, but something needs to change to make us more solid at the back.

Pleased that Leonard scored as it will boost his confidence.  The lad does get into good positions in the box and hopefully will start to convert a higher percentage of the chances he gets.

Once again, today showed just how much we rely on Szmodics.  I can't believe that there aren't clubs looking at him in this window.

• Like 5

4 minutes ago, glen9mullan said:

Waggott said in the meeting I had last month GB was totally against bringing is Sammy. He had been monitored for 12 months prior to GB and when all other avenues closed , GB caved in.

He needs the boot before he loads us with anymore unmovable rubbish then as i thought his saving grace was signings like Sammie.

We already know the club had Brittain and Hyam already on their lists so it's hard to credit him with those.

• Like 4

4 minutes ago, wilsdenrover said:

Do you believe him?

Had no reason to put it on table , so yes , he talked in detail on Sammy,  as some sort of personal triumph of how we were operating better prior to a DOF in the transfer market .

I'm sure Mark Fish who was in the meeting will confirm this too

Edited by glen9mullan
  • Like 1

1 minute ago, tomphil said:

He needs the boot before he loads us with anymore unmovable rubbish then as i thought his saving grace was signings like Sammie.

We already know the club had Brittain and Hyam already on their lists so it's hard to credit him with those.

The point waggott made throughout a 2 hour meeting 

• Like 2

Had no reason to put it on table , so yes , he talked in detail on Sammy,  as some sort of personal triumph of how we were operating better prior to a DOF in the transfer market .

I'm sure Mark Fish who was in the meeting will confirm this too

Thanks

Could the personal triumph thing not have been the reason to put it on the table though?

• Like 4

The point waggott made throughout a 2 hour meeting 

Which is the point he made, that GB has to go or that the players had been scouted before GB's arrival?

1 minute ago, wilsdenrover said:

Thanks

Could the personal triumph thing not have been the reason to put it on the table though?

If the DOF is failing then the responsibility still lies with the CEO as he is the boss, in theory at least. 

There's no reason to believe a word that comes out of the mouth of maggot though so I'll take it with a pinch of salt.

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, tomphil said:

Judging by what we've seen so far and his previous experience it looks like Broughton should just be tasked with bringing in players for the U21s and academy.

Rather expensive U-21 scout wouldn't you say?

Just now, Upside Down said:

If the DOF is failing then the responsibility still lies with the CEO as he is the boss, in theory at least. 

There's no reason to believe a word that comes out of the mouth of maggot though so I'll take it with a pinch of salt.

I know that and you know that but does SW see it like that?

4 minutes ago, Blow-in said:

Rather expensive U-21 scout wouldn't you say?

Yep but the players he's filling the first team squad with don't belong in it yet....or at all.

Edited by tomphil

• Backroom
11 minutes ago, Parsonblue said:

Once again, today showed just how much we rely on Szmodics.  I can't believe that there aren't clubs looking at him in this window.

I'm guessing his age factors in somewhat. If he was a couple of years younger I'd assume he'd have a lot more attention. Clubs may see this as a one off/fluke season for him, at this level at least, based on him spending most of his career in League 1. Not how I see it, as I think he's extremely hard working with solid ability, but one imagines most clubs at this level and below will be looking for a younger prospect to drop significant cash on. 

But then again, maybe someone should offer to loan him. We can then get a cheap youngster in to strengthen the almighty model. 

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, Blow-in said:

Which is the point he made, that GB has to go or that the players had been scouted before GB's arrival?

That recruitment has been a shambles and at times "embarrassing" (referring to last January). His words not mine.

Hyam, Sammy, Brittain our long standing relationship with Brighton is the old regime, way of doing things and 12/18 months of solid scouting/data provided by the departing old guard.

The model had always been making a profit and it was acknowledged the likes of Armstrong etc were bought with that in mind.

Now through circumstances of time,  finance and change, its just not worked for one reason or another and its those coming though our ranks now seen as the next cheque rather than smart recruitment which was in place for the previous 5 years.

I don't believe there is some sort of power struggle, I do believe we are taking more risk than we've ever done, hence more misses than hits to date (which in fairness is dictated somewhat by being potless)

Sadly football is run "live" daily , time is one thing that no one gets.

GB has no money to work with, which makes it difficult to be critical.

Fault lies at the door of the owners and board 

Edited by glen9mullan
  • Like 8

5 minutes ago, glen9mullan said:

That recruitment has been a shambles and at times "embarrassing" (referring to last January). His words not mine.

Hyam, Sammy, Brittain our long standing relationship with Brighton is the old regime, way of doing things and 12/18 months of solid scouting/data provided by the departing old guard.

The model had always been making a profit and it was acknowledged the likes of Armstrong etc were bought with that in mind.

Now through circumstances of time,  finance and change, its just not worked for one reason or another and its those coming though our ranks now seen as the next cheque rather than smart recruitment which was in place for the previous 5 years.

I don't believe there is some sort of power struggle, I do believe we are taking more risk than we've ever done, hence more misses than hits to date (which in fairness is dictated somewhat by being potless)

Sadly football is run "live" daily , time is one thing that no one gets.

GB has no money to work with, which makes it difficult to be critical.

Fault lies at the door of the owners and board 

Do you know/did you ask who decided to change to the DoF model?

(Sorry for all the questions!)

14 minutes ago, Devon Rover said:

Firstly, good result today. Another defensive horror show.

Secondly, have I missed something? Waggott is explicitly dissing his DoF "colleague" to members of the public, now?!?!

I think its more of what you ask, how you ask it, and how you line the dominoes up.

I've made it perfectly clear from day dot to him, I don't do secret hand shakes or come for a balloon or picture. My time is precious and I will report exactly what's said.

We ain't playing games here, it's our football club and he might not like the questions,  but he is gonna get them anyway and be probed , probed again until he gives a tangible answer.

If I was rating him against the others who came before , I'd put him behind Shaw in terms of progress. I strongly believe he is holding the club back and I've seen zero evidence in the meetings to date that we can improve without a wholesale board change.

He has this strategy that he wants to be everyone's friend. It's a terrible recipe for change as the reality is, he holds all the strings and the more he keeps people quiet the longer progress won't be forthcoming 

• Like 7