BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

v Cambridge Utd (h) - 06/01/24 FA Cup R3

4 hours ago, martonrover said:

Re - Szmodics, I think you need to scroll back a bit on this thread.

I had heard previously that Broughton had little to do with his arrival. 

I understand the situation with the finances full well, thank you, and we all know that Venkys are the root cause of all the problems.

When you’re skint, it’s even more important to have an experienced, skilled operator in a key, strategic role.

As for the match, I posted yesterday that I enjoyed it and glad I made the effort.

100%

With money tight the recruitment HAS to be absolutely spot on.

Little or no sign that GB is the man for that job - one big success which we're now hearing may or may not have been his choice anyway and the rest of his recruitment ranging from ordinary to downright abysmal.

• Like 2

5 minutes ago, bluebruce said:

Fair enough, thought he was quoting gate receipts. I thought the prize money at this round was much pezzier than that. I might be thinking of the League Cup.

The league cup prize money is absolute bobbins!

By the way, do you realise you put Oxford in your initial post??

11 minutes ago, chaddyrovers said:

True cos they make the career choices and move to big clubs far too early. He would far better staying here and develop here long term

Sometimes that can be the reason but sometimes they just don’t progress as anticipated.

I agree he’d better off staying I’m not confident he will though.

7 minutes ago, wilsdenrover said:

The league cup prize money is absolute bobbins!

By the way, do you realise you put Oxford in your initial post??

Hah, no I didn't. I kept swapping the two in my head all weekend too. Just interchangeable poncey poshboy unis after all...

• Like 1

41 minutes ago, RevidgeBlue said:

Bit of a stretch to call Hyam "a very good signing" - we paid a substantial fee for him, he had a good start to last season but I thought he was fairly poor in the second half of last season when the team as a whole tanked and this season he seems to be getting worse and worse and turning into something of a defensive liability.

Last year's player of the season.

I though the substantial fee was £1.5- 2 million. Not that substantial. 

• Like 1

59 minutes ago, chaddyrovers said:

I never said Telalovic was like Vardy but given a prime example of Vardy playing Non league till 25/26 before moving to Championship and then scoring goals at Premier League, Championship and international level

Replies to a post about Telalovic by citing Jamie Vardy then denies saying Telalovic could have a career like Jamie Vardy

Thanks for the info about Jamie Vardy by the way. Despite following football closely all my life I never knew any of that stuff. What a revelation

1 hour ago, RevidgeBlue said:

Bit of a stretch to call Hyam "a very good signing" - we paid a substantial fee for him, he had a good start to last season but I thought he was fairly poor in the second half of last season when the team as a whole tanked and this season he seems to be getting worse and worse and turning into something of a defensive liability.

Does your seat face the pitch Rev? This post is bizarre. 

He won fans player of the year and players player of the year, was called up to the Scotland squad and was our most consistent performer last season. 

He's been an excellent buy.

Edited by Gav
  • Like 8

9 minutes ago, jim mk2 said:

Replies to a post about Telalovic by citing Jamie Vardy then denies saying Telalovic could have a career like Jamie Vardy

Thanks for the info about Jamie Vardy by the way. Despite following football closely all my life I never knew any of that stuff. What a revelation

I gave a rime example of a footballer who was late at develop and moving up the footballing ladder. 

2 minutes ago, Gav said:

Does your seat face the pitch Rev? 

He won fans player of the year and players player of the year, was called up to the Scotland and was our most consistent performer last season. 

He's been an excellent buy.

exactly Gav. Hyam is an excellent buy for us and he was rightly named player of the year by the fans and players. 

5 hours ago, Gav said:

I’m only answering your post marton, it’s how this messageboard stuff works

Patronising.

You clearly hadn’t understood the context of my post.

You are entitled to your opinion, but mine remains that Broughton is another chancer, typical of Venkys reign. 

3 minutes ago, martonrover said:

Patronising.

You are entitled to your opinion, but mine remains that Broughton is another chancer, typical of Venkys reign. 

I'll not bother in future, good evening. 

5 hours ago, islander200 said:

Who are these experienced DOFs that would come here with the budget that Broughton has?

Similarly who are these players performing and scoring goals at championship level that cost similar to Telalovic and Ennis?

At the end of the day Szmodic put pen to paper under Broughtons watch.

The core of our side all signed under his watch ,Hyam, Tronstad and Szmodic

There are hardly any goalscoring centre forwards in the championship right now, a look through the top scorer list there is only a couple in the top 10

The blame for our current predicament (away from the brief, enjoyable  escapism of a cup win against lower league opponents) clearly lies with the owners, and I agree that they are hardly a draw for a competent, experienced DOF.

It doesn’t really matter what structure they install, because they have demonstrated time and again they are never going to run the club properly.

Broughton is only our DOF because of the above,

• Like 1

34 minutes ago, martonrover said:

Patronising.

Given the constantly moving goalposts he's having to work within, I'd say your opinion is wrong (imo of course).

Now if you want to talk about Waggott..

44 minutes ago, martonrover said:

Broughton is another chancer

how and why? 

care to explained please? 

You have said he only has a background in youth football but has I have shown that many Director of football do like the 3 examples I have given you. 

His transfer record has had hits and misses as any others does. Do you think you could do a better job? 

22 minutes ago, chaddyrovers said:

how and why? 

care to explained please? 

You have said he only has a background in youth football but has I have shown that many Director of football do like the 3 examples I have given you. 

His transfer record has had hits and misses as any others does. Do you think you could do a better job? 

We are 17th in the league, and falling.

Certainly not all his fault, and he didn’t appoint himself.

The perception was that he was the man behind a very strong Glimt youth team, with many of those players forming the backbone of a golden age for their first team.

A Norwegian journalist enlightened us that his time at the club came after that.

In the bigger picture, any failings are obviously down to the owners.

Oh, and I don’t work in professional football, and neither do you.

1 hour ago, chaddyrovers said:

I gave a rime example of a footballer who was late at develop and moving up the footballing ladder. 

And I gave reasons why Telalovic hasn’t got what it takes 

37 minutes ago, martonrover said:

We are 17th in the league, and falling.

Certainly not all his fault, and he didn’t appoint himself.

The perception was that he was the man behind a very strong Glimt youth team, with many of those players forming the backbone of a golden age for their first team.

A Norwegian journalist enlightened us that his time at the club came after that.

In the bigger picture, any failings are obviously down to the owners.

Oh, and I don’t work in professional football, and neither do you.

yes we been on bad run but when we won 6 games in 8 games you weren't posting this sort of us. 

So you couldn't do a better job then in these circumstances? 

8 hours ago, tomphil said:

We do know though that several of the players signed with the AA money were long term targets there was never any secret in that. They only actually dropped a bit later but we had long time registered serious interest that's why we got in front of any queue.

The timeline tells us they weren't Broughton sourced signings because they happened as he walked through the door.  No doubt he was involved and got them over the line so he'll have played his part after being tasked to go and get them done.

No doubt Waggot covers his own arse as well but non of it should excuse GB for bringing in shite because he's no other option or he oversaw a couple of good signings. Although i'm sure he probably identified a few other decent ones but was kyboshed by the string pullers.

His name is now over the football dept though so he'll be judged largely responsible for it from here on in and rightly so. Time will tell whether moving some out and replacing with 19/20 year old loans etc is a masterstroke or the final nails in the coffin.

The problem is though, he's tried to bring in experience before and the "disinterested" owners put a stop to it.

I strongly suspect that's what happened last January. With the Egg being a company man he took the blame.

The notion that the owners don't have any interest in what happens here is bollocks. The reason we're in this league is entirely because of their very deliberate actions.

• Like 1

I don't know why Broughton and Waggott are being labelled the same 

Broughton strikes me as an intelligent enough guy and ambitious.Worked with Norwich at an underage level and in a recruitment role, went abroad to Glint , did all his badges and then onto here. 

We are Waggotts retirement fund, it does no favours for Broughton bringing poor players here and having buttons to spend , unless his sole ambition is to be Dof of a Venky owned Rovers for the rest of his career 

• Like 5

Over on the FA Cup thread there’s a discussion about rules that are rarely enforced…well, did anyone else notice how far out of the area the Cambridge keeper was when he released the ball from his hands? There was one in the second half when he was practically out of his D before releasing it!!! I sit pretty much level with the 18 yard line so I often notice this but yesterday was an extreme case. Pepe Reina used to push the boundaries…it’s years since I’ve seen a keeper pulled up for it. Maybe when we get a microchip in the ball then this might become a thing 

14 hours ago, chaddyrovers said:

yes we been on bad run but when we won 6 games in 8 games you weren't posting this sort of us. 

So you couldn't do a better job than in these circumstances? 

I’m a train driver and occasional social care worker.

If it was a requirement to be employed in football to post an opinion on here, it would be pretty quiet.

Like you, I want the best for Rovers.