BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

v Cambridge Utd (h) - 06/01/24 FA Cup R3

3 minutes ago, Mashed Potatoes said:

You mean clubs like us .

You said that. As far as I'm aware we're not making fire sales yet

We have a young squad that desperately needs good, experienced reinforcements and the free transfer market is an obvious place to look when finances are tight

I'm surprised this needs pointing out to one so knowledgeable

16 minutes ago, jim mk2 said:

You said that. As far as I'm aware we're not making fire sales yet

We have a young squad that desperately needs good, experienced reinforcements and the free transfer market is an obvious place to look when finances are tight

I'm surprised this needs pointing out to one so knowledgeable

We're making fire loans !

Which free transfers have you identified ?

4 hours ago, BankEnd Rover said:

I can comment too much on Telalovic yesterday as I didn’t go, but looking at his movement and first time ball to Carter, to setup the first goal, looks promising…Creates an option for Garrett who looked like he was struggling for options.

Still very raw but there’s a players to work with there - I prefer him to Ennis. 

I totally agree there. Telalovic played well and if he had played the second half I think he would have scored

3 hours ago, jim mk2 said:

He’s 24, in his prime years. He’s not going to get much better so what you see now is probably as good as it gets. Like Vale he looks like a non-league striker to me

Normally footballers prime years are between 27 to 31. Jamie Vardy of Leicester City were playing for Halifax town when he was 24 years old then helped Fleetwood to promotion to the football league before Leicester sign him and he went to score goals in the premier league and international football. 

1 hour ago, jim mk2 said:

Plenty of experienced players available on free transfers

in this window? any names? 

5 hours ago, dingles staying down 4ever said:

or trying to get a highly sought after youngster that he has an instant first team route at the club so please...please sign a contract before he goes somewhere else

Can’t sign a professional contract until he’s turned 17.

A little over a year to go…

4 hours ago, Tim Southampton Rover said:

I think it's a mixture of things. 1) He's highly regarded. 2) It shows him and others that there is a progression from youth to first team. 3) Playing in the first team helps with any future compensation issue if a big team comes in. 4) It is a message to the board that we are desperate for players. 

Regarding number 3 - no it doesn’t. 

6 hours ago, martonrover said:

I think Broughton has been appointed to a position that is beyond his skill set.

Yes, we are skint, which doesn’t help, but that’s all the more reason to appoint someone who has more experience at senior level.

Broughton’s experience is at youth level.

Many more Ennis and Telalovics and we’re knackered.

who are these more experience DoF? 

also alot of Director of football have a background at youth level. I will give you a few example Manchester United director of Football John Murtough, Newcastle United Director of football Dan Ashworth, former Norwich Director of football Stuart Webber. 

Both low cost signings and it would be very interesting who you would have sign on the budget we had? 

5 hours ago, matt83 said:

I’ll wager one of two things will happen. Either he turns out to be shit and folk will look back and wonder who the hell he was or if he’s the real deal we’ll let him walk away for gratis to another club. That’s just how we roll.

If he is that Shit then why is part of Rovers first team training on most days under JDT this season? JDT and the Rovers coaching staff clearly have identified we have a top talent here similar to Adam Wharton

2 hours ago, martonrover said:

Re - Szmodics, I think you need to scroll back a bit on this thread.

I had heard previously that Broughton had little to do with his arrival. 

I understand the situation with the finances full well, thank you, and we all know that Venkys are the root cause of all the problems.

When you’re skint, it’s even more important to have an experienced, skilled operator in a key, strategic role.

As for the match, I posted yesterday that I enjoyed it and glad I made the effort.

We had scouted Brittain, Szmodics and Hyam the previous season which to be honest I would expect the recruitment department to have done that given their performances that season, That's their job. Would Rovers had sign them if Mowbray had stay here? We don't know. 

The fact remained GB and JDT decided to sign them and that's all that matters tbh

• Like 1

1 hour ago, chaddyrovers said:

Normally footballers prime years are between 27 to 31. Jamie Vardy of Leicester City were playing for Halifax town when he was 24 years old then helped Fleetwood to promotion to the football league before Leicester sign him and he went to score goals in the premier league and international football. 

I wouldn't normally reply to you because it's liking arguing with a brick wall but Telalovic is not another Jamie Vardy. 

22 minutes ago, jim mk2 said:

That's not my job matey. Are you related to Chaddy? 

oh right but you could suggest different potential signings/players you would like to see? 

20 minutes ago, jim mk2 said:

I wouldn't normally reply to you because it's liking arguing with a brick wall but Telalovic is not another Jamie Vardy. 

I never said Telalovic was like Vardy but given a prime example of Vardy playing Non league till 25/26 before moving to Championship and then scoring goals at Premier League, Championship and international level. 

Telalovic is work in progress signing and he is improving alot

You don't reply cos we will never agree on anything. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, chaddyrovers said:

If he is that Shit then why is part of Rovers first team training on most days under JDT this season? JDT and the Rovers coaching staff clearly have identified we have a top talent here similar to Adam Wharton

Because for every Adam Wharton there’s about 10 who are dog shit who they initially rate. I hope he goes on to be the finest player rovers have ever seen but statistically at least the odds are against him. 

18 hours ago, glen9mullan said:

Had no reason to put it on table , so yes , he talked in detail on Sammy,  as some sort of personal triumph of how we were operating better prior to a DOF in the transfer market .

I'm sure Mark Fish who was in the meeting will confirm this too

18 hours ago, glen9mullan said:

The point waggott made throughout a 2 hour meeting 

The fact he spent 2 hours saying we would be better without GB, and making out things initiated from before his time are personal triumphs certainly sounds like an agenda to me. I also don't trust very much that Swag says, so I'll be taking his claims with a truck of salt.

Logic tells me what's happening here is Swag feels threatened by the DOF model and is hoping to undermine it by spreading discontent towards GB. Wouldn't be surprised if he was happy about the O'Brien debacle that was in part caused by his attending a game instead of negotiations.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Rogerb said:

£105,000 in the pot from yesterday's win. Every little helps.

Is that before or after Cambridge get their half, player match bonuses are paid, matchday staff are paid and we are taxed? These earliest rounds of the cup don't really spin income for clubs like us unless we get an away tie at an OT or somewhere.

Edited by bluebruce

1 minute ago, bluebruce said:

Is that before or after Oxford get their half, player match bonuses are paid, matchday staff are paid and we are taxed? These earliest rounds of the cup don't really spin income for clubs like us unless we get an away tie at an OT or somewhere.

It’s the prize money for winning so Cambridge  don’t get any of it.

Edited by wilsdenrover

7 hours ago, Paul Mellelieu said:

In what kind of organisation does a CEO undermine the position of one of its directors in a meeting which he must know will be made public?  What kind of CEO discusses the details of the company's private business with customers in this way?

The one we've got.

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, matt83 said:

Because for every Adam Wharton there’s about 10 who are dog shit who they initially rate. I hope he goes on to be the finest player rovers have ever seen but statistically at least the odds are against him. 

Adam Wharton is expectational talent and so is Rory Finneran

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Gav said:

Thanks for that tomphil.

We are a basket case of a club, so anything is possible, but are we believing the new regime are buying the old regimes targets? I’m not convinced, but its only my opinion.

Either way 2 very good signings. 

Bit of a stretch to call Hyam "a very good signing" - we paid a substantial fee for him, he had a good start to last season but I thought he was fairly poor in the second half of last season when the team as a whole tanked and this season he seems to be getting worse and worse and turning into something of a defensive liability.

7 minutes ago, wilsdenrover said:

It’s the prize money for winning so Cambridge  don’t get any of it.

Fair enough, thought he was quoting gate receipts. I thought the prize money at this round was much pezzier than that. I might be thinking of the League Cup.

2 minutes ago, wilsdenrover said:

The history of the game is littered with players who were exceptional at 15 and ended up having unremarkable professional careers.

True cos they make the career choices and move to big clubs far too early. He would far better staying here and develop here long term

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, RevidgeBlue said:

Bit of a stretch to call Hyam "a very good signing" - we paid a substantial fee for him, he had a good start to last season but I thought he was fairly poor in the second half of last season when the team as a whole tanked and this season he seems to be getting worse and worse and turning into something of a defensive liability.

For the second time, I'll remind you he won Player of the Season.

• Like 6

22 minutes ago, bluebruce said:

The fact he spent 2 hours saying we would be better without GB, and making out things initiated from before his time are personal triumphs certainly sounds like an agenda to me. I also don't trust very much that Swag says, so I'll be taking his claims with a truck of salt.

Logic tells me what's happening here is Swag feels threatened by the DOF model and is hoping to undermine it by spreading discontent towards GB. Wouldn't be surprised if he was happy about the O'Brien debacle that was in part caused by his attending a game instead of negotiations.

TBH, I don't think I have much interest meeting again. He wanted another meeting this month, but right now if any of them said it was sunny outside , I'd grab my umbrella and rain coat.

Its very much a pointless exercise, I.got the answers which I asked, recorded them on here (all meetings to date). What people take from the answers is up to them.

I will always be transparent.

I think the lot of them should go, all the way to the owners, they are holding the club back and right now I can't forsee a change in the pattern.

I'm currently working with an investigative journalist in India who is trying to get more insight into the sorry mess out there.  Hopefully this may get an article written in their backyard, but who knows 

Edited by glen9mullan
  • Like 6