BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

v Cambridge Utd (h) - 06/01/24 FA Cup R3

Entertaining game.

Keeper looks mentally week every ball in box he was mixing from

and defense was sh1t again

All soft.

Needs sorting asap or we will need to score 3 everyweek to get anything from games 

Thought garnett looked really good. Popping up everywhere and wanting to be involved.

Sammie had a weird 1st half . Scored 3 but constantly gave ball away . But goals cover all that and took the goals really well

Wharton passing was way off 

Though telalovic made some good movement around box . Some decent link up . But is another of the new breed of striker that don't get into the right positions. 

Leonard seems to be decent at this .even though probably has a miss of the season contender . Kept going and scored a good header.

Sigurdsson is just lacking that half a yard of pace. But that will be why he is with us. 

Worst part for me was being sat infront of some clown (must be related o travis) as all game he talked about how not only is our club captain our best midfielder but best player . Hard man . Amazing leader . 

Edited by Rochdale_rover

3 hours ago, martonrover said:

I think Broughton has been appointed to a position that is beyond his skill set.

Yes, we are skint, which doesn’t help, but that’s all the more reason to appoint someone who has more experience at senior level.

Broughton signed Sammie Szmodics, who given the circumstances the club now finds itself in, is probably the best pound for pound player we've had in over a decade. He also signed Dominic Hyam who is a very good player too. What you have to understand is all our targets were thrown in the bin in the summer when Venkys turned off the tap, yes he'll have had a plan B and Plan C, but you're shopping in the bargain basement at that stage and its a lottery.

On the game yesterday, what's not to like?

Sammie getting a hattrick, some great football from Rovers at times and a much deserved home win. As Matty said a few pages back, if you don't enjoy that yesterday why bother.....

• Like 7

5 minutes ago, Gav said:

Broughton signed Sammie Szmodics, who given the circumstances the club now finds itself in, is probably the best pound for pound player we've had in over a decade. He also signed Dominic Hyam who is a very good player too. What you have to understand is all our targets were thrown in the bin in the summer when Venkys turned off the tap, yes he'll have had a plan B and Plan C, but you're shopping in the bargain basement at that stage and its a lottery.

On the game yesterday, what's not to like?

Sammie getting a hattrick, some great football from Rovers at times and a much deserved home win. As Matty said a few pages back, if you don't enjoy that yesterday why bother.....

Re - Szmodics, I think you need to scroll back a bit on this thread.

I had heard previously that Broughton had little to do with his arrival. 

I understand the situation with the finances full well, thank you, and we all know that Venkys are the root cause of all the problems.

When you’re skint, it’s even more important to have an experienced, skilled operator in a key, strategic role.

As for the match, I posted yesterday that I enjoyed it and glad I made the effort.

• Like 1

13 hours ago, glen9mullan said:

Had no reason to put it on table , so yes , he talked in detail on Sammy,  as some sort of personal triumph of how we were operating better prior to a DOF in the transfer market .

I'm sure Mark Fish who was in the meeting will confirm this too

Sounds bizarre and completely unprofessional. Give me Broughton over Waggott any day of the week...

• Like 4

20 minutes ago, martonrover said:

I understand the situation with the finances full well, thank you, and we all know that Venkys are the root cause of all the problems.

When you’re skint, it’s even more important to have an experienced, skilled operator in a key, strategic role.

As for the match, I posted yesterday that I enjoyed it and glad I made the effort.

I’m only answering your post marton, it’s how this messageboard stuff works…..

As for Broughton on Sammie, I’ve not read the comments you refer to, but don’t tell me, Waggott is taking some of the credit and hammering Gregg in the process? 😂

• Like 2

6 minutes ago, Gav said:

I’m only answering your post marton, it’s how this messageboard stuff works…..

As for Broughton on Sammie, I’ve not read the comments you refer to, but don’t tell me, Waggott is taking some of the credit and hammering Gregg in the process? 😂

No he did neither he just explained that Szmodics wasn't one GB wanted and that Hyam and Brittain had already been put on the wanted list and enquired about by the previous regime.

Which was mentioned anyway at the time both were signed and we only got them once Barnsley went down and Coventry suddenly came back to Rovers offering him at less than they'd previously valued him at.

Long term targets they were.

Edited by tomphil
  • Like 3

30 minutes ago, martonrover said:

Who are these experienced DOFs that would come here with the budget that Broughton has?

Similarly who are these players performing and scoring goals at championship level that cost similar to Telalovic and Ennis?

At the end of the day Szmodic put pen to paper under Broughtons watch.

The core of our side all signed under his watch ,Hyam, Tronstad and Szmodic

There are hardly any goalscoring centre forwards in the championship right now, a look through the top scorer list there is only a couple in the top 10

• Like 2

5 minutes ago, tomphil said:

No he did neither he just explained that Szmodics wasn't one GB wanted and that Hyam and Brittain had already been put on the wanted list and enquired about by the previous regime.

They were still signed under his watch.

Just because they were on a list we don't know if the previous lot would have followed through with signing them.

He can count Brittain, Hyam, Szmodic and Tronstad as successes.Sigurrdsson getting there but another goalscoring threat that didn't cost us a transfer fee.

The black mark is the goalkeeper.

He had no budget for a striker .

His loan record hit n miss but that's like every single other championship club they all ravage the loan market, some work out and others don't 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, BankEnd Rover said:

It’s irrelevant what age a player is before they reach their best ability. 

He’s been in the country 5 months and hardly had any game time . I’m happy to give him more time. Ideally a loan out would be perfect for him in League 1z

With a small squad and apparently no money, we don’t have “time”, another development player who may or may not good. And from what I’ve seen, other than a willingness to run around a lot, there’s not much ability I’m afraid 

4 minutes ago, jim mk2 said:

With a small squad and apparently no money, we don’t have “time”, another development player who may or may not good. And from what I’ve seen, other than a willingness to run around a lot, there’s not much ability I’m afraid 

So you aknowledge we have a small budget.

Who are these experienced Championship players we can sign with our little budget?

When he had money to spend he signed off on Hyam,Brittain and Szmodic.

• Like 2

24 minutes ago, tomphil said:

Which was mentioned anyway at the time both were signed and we only got them once Barnsley went down and Coventry suddenly came back to Rovers offering him at less than they'd previously valued him at.

Long term targets they were.

Thanks for that tomphil.

We are a basket case of a club, so anything is possible, but are we believing the new regime are buying the old regimes targets? I’m not convinced, but its only my opinion.

Either way 2 very good signings. 

Edited by Gav

17 minutes ago, Mattyblue said:

If folk want to take Swag at face value that’s their prerogative but I’d take anything he says with a huge pinch of salt.

I take anything any of them say with a pinch of salt.

• Like 5

1 hour ago, ABBEY said:

Overall view from me....

Lethargic start and cocky attitude and pre preparation not done seriously. 

The defence is shit , goalie shit  and bar smod players wernt arsed. It was best time to score before halftime as there were going to be  boos and fireworks ( yes , I went there).  2nd half improvement and could of , no should of been 8 . Glad Leonard scored after one the all time misses at Ewood.  

When's the draw.

Please can you take Ian up on writing match views!

We do know though that several of the players signed with the AA money were long term targets there was never any secret in that. They only actually dropped a bit later but we had long time registered serious interest that's why we got in front of any queue.

The timeline tells us they weren't Broughton sourced signings because they happened as he walked through the door.  No doubt he was involved and got them over the line so he'll have played his part after being tasked to go and get them done.

No doubt Waggot covers his own arse as well but non of it should excuse GB for bringing in shite because he's no other option or he oversaw a couple of good signings. Although i'm sure he probably identified a few other decent ones but was kyboshed by the string pullers.

His name is now over the football dept though so he'll be judged largely responsible for it from here on in and rightly so. Time will tell whether moving some out and replacing with 19/20 year old loans etc is a masterstroke or the final nails in the coffin.

Edited by tomphil

1 hour ago, islander200 said:

So you aknowledge we have a small budget.

Who are these experienced Championship players we can sign with our little budget?

When he had money to spend he signed off on Hyam,Brittain and Szmodic.

Plenty of experienced players available on free transfers

17 minutes ago, jim mk2 said:

Plenty of experienced players available on free transfers

Like who?If they were any good they would have other clubs after them who in all probability could trump us on wages. 

Broughton has a tough job here and under the circumstances is doing a decent enough job.

As said previously Szmodic,Tronstad and Hyam all signed under his watch and 3 of our most important players, add Brittain and Sigurrdson that's 5 players he has added to the first 11 since his arrival 

• Like 2

• Backroom
13 minutes ago, Mashed Potatoes said:

If they are so good why are they available on free transfers ?

So you’re telling me Lenihan, Rothwell, Nyambe, Brereton weren’t any good at the point they left us?

• Like 4

• Backroom
10 minutes ago, islander200 said:

Like who?If they were any good they would have other clubs after them who in all probability could trump us on wages. 

Broughton has a tough job here and under the circumstances is doing a decent enough job.

As said previously Szmodic,Tronstad and Hyam all signed under his watch and 3 of our most important players, add Brittain and Sigurrdson that's 5 players he has added to the first 11 since his arrival 

Answered your own question.

10 minutes ago, Mashed Potatoes said:

If they are so good why are they available on free transfers ?

Hundreds of players available on free transfers.....including some of the best in the world. 

Do you know anything about football? 

1 minute ago, Mike E said:

So you’re telling me Lenihan, Rothwell, Nyambe, Brereton weren’t any good at the point they left us?

Those players were out of contract - which won't be the case in the January window - and no doubt other than Nyambe will have made sure that they received hefty signing on fees.

• Like 1

Just now, Mashed Potatoes said:

In January those on free transfers are the ones that their clubs are desperate to get rid of. 

Including cash strapped clubs making fire sales.

Next