BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

The Summer Transfer Window (Press Submit)

2 minutes ago, Danny O.Brien said:

Szmodics signed a new deal in November too, as well as the other players mentioned. It just gives the club better leverage although not much since they can just hang a year and sign for nothing.

This is in a lot of ways, where Broughton earned his corn. Extending the contract for Szmodics was good business for the club, as it means we will get a good fee for him, should the expected suitors come along.

The downside is of course that is in highly unlikely that the fee will achieve much as transfer funds are probably going to be needed to fund the running of the club.

• Like 1

11 hours ago, roversfan99 said:

I dont doubt that Wharton as an individual had many teams wanting him. But Nixon does that with every player, hes started doing the same with Szmodics. Then when the player moves to one of those clubs at whichever point, which in all probability he will as hes hedged his bets, then he will then as the narcissist that he is pat himself on the back and his merry band of followers will all tell everyone how knowledgable he is.

why wouldn't teams be interested in someone like Szmodics given his goal return and a number of teams would have scouted him last few months like Brentford or Luton or Sheff Utd given they will have money to spend. Nicko will reported that interested . 

Nicko has a great number of contacts and if you look at the last few weeks he has spot on when the LT and Jackson only reported it after it happens. Nicko has the Silvester story and Baker being his replacement plus GB story over a week before the club had it. Jackson had a week before it happened. 

Look at Wayne Veysey from Football insider website who reported a transfer story and 2 days later Joe Sbarra signed Doncaster. Do he get the wrong Rovers team? 

11 hours ago, martonrover said:

What his role is supposed to involve and what it will actually involve are two different things.

From Day One, he will have Waggott briefing against him.

Never going to work.

We will have to wait and see who the appointment and how he will work with Waggott and Eustace plus who is behind is his appointment whether it's Venkys appointment through a football consultancy company or Waggott/Pasha are going to appoint him

5 hours ago, lraC said:

The club had a one year option in their favour and decided to take it up. Had they not done, then both would now be free agents and able to leave with no fee to Rovers. Now that they are under contract for a year, if anyone wants to sign them, we will get a fee. 
It may well be that both stay and leave on a free next summer. Time will tell.?

I am fully aware of all that. I expected both will sign new contracts in the coming weeks,

1 hour ago, 47er said:

Is Travis returning? Anybody know?

Yes, he is still under contract and as far as we know Ipswich haven't look to sign him

29 minutes ago, superniko said:

It’s not a brilliant 11 but also not a complete laughing stock. Albeit I only really rate 4 or 5 as legitimate starters.

HOWEVER, the issue comes with injuries (as it has in recent years). The bench you’d name after that 11 would be academy lads / non-league level players. 

Yeah, it's an okay first XI keeper and striker aside for me. But out of those XI I think every single one has had an extended multi month layoff in the last 12 months with the exception of Tronstad.

So i would say we should probably expect everyone except Tronstad to play max 60-70% of games. Some like JRC and Hedges 50% might be a more prudent number.

Based on those ratios we need 5 more we see as genuine starters before we even get into having tactical options and youngsters etc.

I can't think of one....

I like Travis and think he would do much better in this Eustace side then he ever did under jdt. He wasn't exactly pulling up trees at Ipswich and now they've gone up surely they'll aim higher. If they put a decent bid in though it should be considered, as long as it's a big increase on those insults Millwall bid last summer.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, roversfan99 said:

so we had no choice but to cling on because he is considerably better than our only other striker.

Again, disagree.

Gallagher rounded the season off with no goals from the last fourteen games so it wouldn't have mattered who you played there during that period, they couldn't have done any worse.

• Like 1

Posted (edited)
1 hour ago, roversfan99 said:

Because of the difference in money. Brereton would have raised £8m which is a big amount for us. A normal club takes that over keeping him for a solitary year and reinvests a good chunk to replace him.

Gallagher also had an extra 6 months on his deal but crucially, it came at a point where the owners pocketed a club record sale and still wouldnt authorise spending a couple of million on a striker. Therefore its fair to assume that any comparatively tiny Gallagher proceeds would have gone the same way. Ideally I would have sold Gallagher and brought in 2 strikers, not happening under these owners, so we had no choice but to cling on because he is considerably better than our only other striker.

After Revidge Blue I’m possibly Gally’s biggest critic but we couldn’t sell him in January, much as I would have liked to. We literally had nobody else capable of playing that role unless you count Telly, which nobody at the club seems to.

I’d be delighted to sell him/give him away now though.

Edited by Tyrone Shoelaces

43 minutes ago, superniko said:

It’s not a brilliant 11 but also not a complete laughing stock. Albeit I only really rate 4 or 5 as legitimate starters.

HOWEVER, the issue comes with injuries (as it has in recent years). The bench you’d name after that 11 would be academy lads / non-league level players. 

Minus Szmodics that's an abysmal X1 imo.

Likely to be struggling against relegation at best, and at worst we'll be next year's Rotherham.

We could desperately do with Leonard stepping up and catching fire next season. How realistic that is is anyone's guess.

Posted (edited)
51 minutes ago, superniko said:

Agreed. The issue last season was that when we were 6th we got injuries to key players and within a couple of months the season completely unravelled. The first XI was competetive but some games around Xmas we literally had a bench full of kids. Obviously JDT falling out with some players didn’t help.  

Eustace has shown he can go away from home and set a team up to defend really well. What he hasn’t shown yet, besides the odd counter attack led by Szmodics, is how to attack teams and create chances. 

next season we start with a clean slate. Judging by his signings at Brum he looks like he plays with quick wingers so hopefully we’re a bit more potent next season. Obviously Szmodics will be a big miss but I’m hoping we can sign some quality attackers this summer. 

I’m not too downbeat about next season just yet. maybe I’m just deluded! 

Edited by Forever Blue

3 minutes ago, Forever Blue said:

Eustace has shown he can go away from home and set a team up to defend really well. What he hasn’t shown yet, besides the odd counter attack led by Szmodics, is how to attack teams and create chances.

This is key. Obviously Eustace's only remit in the remaining part of last season was to keep us up and in that respect I think he did quite well given the rate at which we were conceding goals by the time JDT left.

Over the course of an entire season though I don't think grinding out points here and there in that fashion  is sustainable.and the key question is whether he cab add some flair to the grittier determination we showed in a few of the games.

11 minutes ago, Forever Blue said:

He knows we didn't have the attacking players to attack teams and score goals whilst keeping the backdoor shut. Outside of Gallagher, Szmodics, Dolan and Hedges he had very little faith in our other attacking players

5 minutes ago, chaddyrovers said:

He knows we didn't have the attacking players to attack teams and score goals whilst keeping the backdoor shut. Outside of Gallagher, Szmodics, Dolan and Hedges he had very little faith in our other attacking players

That was certainly the narrative coming out of the club, and it does have merit. We’ll see next season. Hopefully he gets the attacking players we desperately need. 

12 minutes ago, Forever Blue said:

That was certainly the narrative coming out of the club, and it does have merit. We’ll see next season. Hopefully he gets the attacking players we desperately need. 

I think it didn't take Eustace to work who he could trust and reliable on and not. He clearly didn't fancy Telalovic or Moran much. I think Markanday will leave, Sigurdsson aswell. Think he will use Leonard tho this coming season

23 minutes ago, Forever Blue said:

Oh to see a real winger again!

• Like 2

Posted (edited)
1 hour ago, lraC said:

This is in a lot of ways, where Broughton earned his corn. Extending the contract for Szmodics was good business for the club, as it means we will get a good fee for him, should the expected suitors come along.

The downside is of course that is in highly unlikely that the fee will achieve much as transfer funds are probably going to be needed to fund the running of the club.

This is a good point on Broughton. 

The opposite example is why didn't we offer Brereton a new contract early on in the 21/22 season when he was on a good run or at the back end of the previous season when he'd made progress. The joys of having Waggott back in charge of contract renewals.

Edited by BlackburnEnd75
  • Like 2

13 hours ago, chaddyrovers said:

Did Venkys sack him themselves or did Waggott and Pasha recommend his removal? 

The reason Wharton was linked with so many teams was his quality. Ashworth personally came to games to scout him..

Did we ever look at him? Or did Football insider get the wrong Rovers team in the article 

Gregg was removed as a cost cutting exercise. Budgets have apparently been reduced by 25% across the board for the coming season.

I would expect several other backroom coaches, data analysts, recruitment etc to be announced as leaving soon.

• Like 8

Posted (edited)
11 minutes ago, phili said:

Gregg was removed as a cost cutting exercise. Budgets have apparently been reduced by 25% across the board for the coming season.

I would expect several other backroom coaches, data analysts, recruitment etc to be announced as leaving soon.

Another 25%, are they actively trying to get us relegated? 
If things are that bad they need to sell up fast and go!! 
It doesn’t sound like “funding will not be affected “ rings true. SW lying again, shock, horror, hold the front page. 

Edited by roversinmyblood
  • Like 3

14 minutes ago, phili said:

So why is Gregg Broughton being replace then? 

how can you continue to cut budgets and expect the club to move forward. 

Some recruitment like our of head of European scouting Luke Griffin announce he was leaving before end of the season

2 hours ago, Trinidad Rover said:

He will come back and the club will herald the new signing, like some sort of returning Mascherano. Imagine Travis won’t be too pleased to come back….

He should be, done nothing on loan and fresh start under a new manager. He won't find a better opportunity on the money he's on elsewhere I imagine. 

7 minutes ago, chaddyrovers said:

Some recruitment like our of head of European scouting Luke Griffin announce he was leaving before end of the season

Have you been paying attention to the last 14 years?

There is no desire by anyone at this club to move it forward, well apart from the two blokes who have recently left maybe.

• Like 2

1 minute ago, MarkBRFC said:

Have you been paying attention to the last 14 years?

There is no desire by anyone at this club to move it forward, well apart from the two blokes who have recently left maybe.

so you don't think Eustace wants to more us on and improve the club position and get promote in a couple of seasons? 

5 minutes ago, chaddyrovers said:

so you don't think Eustace wants to more us on and improve the club position and get promote in a couple of seasons? 

Not really.

I imagine he's quite happy to have a year or two here working with and developing players and keeping his face in the management game, with very little pressure to achieve anything apart from staying in the league.

• Like 2

17 minutes ago, chaddyrovers said:

Who has said he is being replaced?

Up until their money troubles have been sorted, the sole target is staying in the division and that is all the ambition is.

• Like 1