BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

Now the season is over and almost over everywhere else, the euros Is approaching.  What's everyone think overall.  For me the three teams I fancy are England France or Germany.  I'd take Adam Wharton ahead of Henderson.  I think him rice and Bellingham would be the perfect midfield balance 

I think England are naturally up there because we have got some brilliant players in Kane, Bellingham and Foden, although Kane had a back issue against Real Madrid and Bellingham had to take painkilling injections in his knee. But we do have a poor manager and also 3 major areas of concern, we have no one of a top level to play next to Rice to provide balance, we dont have a left back and we also have a worry next to Stones who himself has barely played recently, if its Maguire (injured at the moment) then he is a major weakness too.

France are the natural favourites, they have such a balanced squad and crucially a manager with a proven track record in tournaments. Portugal are also an obvious danger and again have quality in basically all areas. Germany being at home could be a big threat too, theyve got an overall nice blend of experience. (Gundogan, Kroos, Kimmich, Neuer) and youth (Wirtz, Musiala, Pavlovic) Holland and Spain perhaps lack the same firepower of those 4 but do have real quality in other areas.

Picking a dark horse is a bit harder but maybe Ukraine can be. Mudryk is hitting form and they also have a couple of attackers at Girona who have had an unbelievable season.

I do enjoy international tournaments aside from just looking down the media angle of solely focusing on England. Extending them though so youve got 3rd place teams qualifying really does hinder the potential jeopardy and entertainment of the group stages.

• Like 2

35 minutes ago, roverandout said:

Sad attitude 

We'll see who's sad when England inevitably exit the competition as soon as they come up against any real opposition.

Personally I don't subscribe to the notions of nationality as I believe it to be a load of bollocks designed only to subjugate society.

• Like 1
  • Downvote 1

1 hour ago, Upside Down said:

We'll see who's sad when England inevitably exit the competition as soon as they come up against any real opposition.

Personally I don't subscribe to the notions of nationality as I believe it to be a load of bollocks designed only to subjugate society.

So why do you enjoy watching England lose if you don't subscribe to the notions of nationality?

• Like 1

To be fair, we smashed the Deutsch in the last major tourney, in the knockout stage - off the top of my head.

If he takes the likes of Henderson over players like Wharton/Mainoo I think that tells us everything about Southgate's ambition.

We won't win it unless we get a large slice of luck, but anywhere after the quarter finals is par for England and I'll be alright with it.

Our big chance was being 1-0 up against Italy in the final of the last Euros, being on top and bottling it.

• Like 2

Even with the likes of Wharton and Mainoo, they are clearly talented but they cannot be considered on par with the very best in Europe.

I think Holland have a good squad. They have a brilliant set of centre backs, probably the best in the tournament with Van Dijk, De Ligt, Ake, De Vrij and Van De Ven, Maatsen and Frimpong as wing backs who have had really good seasons and some really good central midfielders. Their issue might be in attack, players like Depay, Simons, Gakpo and Malen give them lots of pace but they arent at the same level as the attacks of England, France etc.

• Like 1

On 15/05/2024 at 22:48, Gordon Gekko said:

Surely this is going to be our year… if we don’t win it this time, will we ever win another major trophy? After that final day magic from Super Sammie, I’m feeling optimistic and reckon it’s time!

no chance of winning it with negative wokie in charge

9 hours ago, Ewood Ace said:

Only two things can stop England from winning it they are France and Gareth Southgate.

We've got a good team but football is football...... Portugal, Germany, Spain, Belgium, Netherlands all have a lot of quality as well as France. I think it's naïve to think any one of those could not beat England or France on a given day. International football is not like club football where a dominant highly tuned team like Man City or 2010 Barcelona can steam roller everyone. Its more unpredictable.  

For example the France team that was obviously the best in the world at the time (won the WC in 2018, final in 2022) went out to Switzerland in the quarter of Euro 2020....

Just got to enjoy the ride.

• Like 2

I think Southgate will take Henderson and some will be sorely disappointed. I don't think he has actually played much for Ajax but still, he's a leader of that England team and obviously someone Southgate trusts

Had I been manager, I would have perhaps asked him if he'd come along in the non-playing staff, if only to offer support to Wharton and Mainoo who I would be taking, with a view to playing Wharton alongside Rice and Bellingham. Call it bias if you will, but Wharton has not looked out of place in any of the games I have watched, especially against Chelsea and Liverpool

We have some crap kick off times this year. 8pm on a Sunday night for the first game is not what the doctor ordered

• Like 1

Of course England can win it, but it never happens. 

It is looking like this tournament is it for Southgate. Can he pull it out? 

The squad debate is on the other England thread. @superniko posted his guess that I agree with;

Pickford, Ramsdale, GK3

Walker, Trent, Shaw, Trippier, Maguire, Stones, CB1, CB2

Rice, Mainoo, Bellingham, Maddison, CM1*

Kane, Saka, Foden, Rashford FW1, FW2, FW3

*I doubt Wharton will get that spot, as much as he is beloved on here

What doesn't help at all is that 3 of Southgate's preferred back 4 aren't currently playing. Maguire (there is no point debating whether he should be in the squad or not - he will be playing if fit) and Shaw are injured. Stones is currently on the outs with Guardiola. 

As for other issues Rashford is mad at Ten Hag and has downed tools. Grealish is another who's dealing with the ruthlessness of Guardiola and is a sub getting 10 minutes at best. Then you have Reece James who has been injured all season, only to come back and get sent off this week. 

Trent will be an interesting one. He is playing well for Liverpool. He won't play right back as Walker has that spot nailed down, so Southgate my play him in midfield.

Rashford shouldnt be anywhere near the squad and if he is it would be as much of an issue as Henderson, who at least is in a position of weakness. Same for Grealish.

Out wide we have Saka, Foden if he plays there, Gordon, Bowen, Palmer should go and can play there. Maddison is another who would be very lucky to be included.

• Like 1

• Moderation Lead

Maddison started the season really well, pre injury. Fair enough, he’s not been great since returning. As we know, Southgate has his favourites, so nobody should be surprised to see his out of form favourites (Rashford, Phillips, Henderson) on the plane….

Posted (edited)

I have very little interested in the Euro's apart from watching England. I expect my interest will get more when they get closer. 

On England squad, my 26 man squad would be

Keeper - Pickford, Ramsdale, Henderson

Defenders - Walker, Stones, Maguire, Shaw, Tripper, Tomori, Guehi, James

Midfielders - Rice, Bellingham, Alexander-Arnold, Mainoo, Maddison, Gallagher

Strikers - Kane, Foden, Saka, Grealish, Palmer, Bowen, Gordon, Watkins, Wilson

Edited by chaddyrovers
  • Like 1