BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

[Archived] Southampton 3 - 2 Rovers

• Replies 393
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Stuwilky, some of us don't have sky and are forced to listen to the match on the radio and it was Mark Bright who claimed he was offside, hence I put the word in inverted commas.

yet another reason people who know nothing about football shouldnt be allowed to commentate.

its a typical Rovers perormance ie the same as the past 3 yrs

more possession

more chances

limited play by the "home" team

what happens

silly mistake costs us a goal.

he was never offside in a million years

NEJ and Short are to blame for the goal, its got nothing to do with Emerton. Both Ch's went for the same ball and missed it completely.

Will someone please try and explain what positions Flitty and Matteo are actually playing !

Both are misplaced and giving too much openness in the middle. There is NO movement for Tugays passing, Yorke seems up for it but is too casual, on 3 seperate occasions his willingness to hold it rather than off load it has cost us a decent chance of going forward.

Stead needs some help and the supply line is non existant.

Gray is playing well.

Cannot take anything else in a positiv emanner unless some fo the above q's are answered. blink.gif

What on earth was Brett "where am I playing again boss" Emerton doing. If your playing in defence, bloody defend. Dont just stand there.

Emerton already had a man to mark. It was one of the centre-halves fault. The worst thing you can do in that situation is have both centre-halves go for the same ball.

Shame as we'd done ok up till then but after that we lost it completely. Main concern is the number of aimless high balls coming from the back, why play so many central midfielders and then by-pass them.

Not many positives so far. We look quite lost when defending, and we just hoof long balls to Stead and Yorke. I really don't like the narrow formation.

So what I'd do at half-time:

Neill on for Flitcroft, De Pedro on for Johansson. Move Matteo to defense, Emerton to midfield and play a 4-4-2.

For the first 30 min we played well, Stead almost scored a great goal and we had more possession, but didn't use it. Than in the last 15 min our defence were crap again - Phillips goal could have easily been prevented if Emerton had actually covered him instead of doing nothing. Johansson made some bad mistakes as well. Gray and Yorke are playing well, but again Yorke is getting alot of bad offside calls against him.

We must get the goals in the 2nd half. Get Shearer on. biggrin.gif

Edited by Blue and White

Im not in the anti souness brigade (yet) but there has to be changes now! Get nissa off and put matteo there and bring on gresko for the left. Get flitcroft off for neill and put emerton on the right. Tugay and ferguson in themiddle. We need width, we werent too bad for first 30 mins but were creating nothing because we have no width, were giving stead and dwight nothing to work with.

Also why play an injured friedel when we have a perfectly good premiership keeper on the bench? If he cant take goal kicks then hes not fit to play, what if he was to make a clearance and hurts his muscle again? Substitution wasted!!!

The thing that annoys me the most actually is that this is going to be fuel to the anti-souness bunch, even though by the sounds of it we've been the better team.

C'mon Rovers, just keep it up and I think we could still win this game, plenty of time left.

Ah but the thing is, we're not the better team. We've conceded the midfield to Southampton. It's completely ineffective and Stead and Yorke are left with a lot of working to do to try to create something. Apparently we've got Flitcroft on the pitch somewhere, problem is I haven't seen him. At least Matteo has been near the ball a few times....

I expect Souness to do something drastic for the second half because if we just "keep it up" we've not got a chance in hell to get anything from this game.

Oh and I knew Emerton couldn't attack but after West Brom I thought he could defend a bit. How wrong I was. He's completely useless.

Not looking good lads and lassies. Poor defending two of our tallest defenders don't even jump, someone needs to give Friedel lessons in how to spread his massive frame to cover the goal, he went to the ball with one hand, poor if you ask me. Basic basic goalkeeping.

When was Ferguson taken off, I don't think I saw him for the last 15 mins of the first half. Totally dominated the first 30 mins but did nothing decisive to show our superiority.

Can someone explain to Emerton that crosses go in to the feet or head not weak little balls to the midriff. It's going to be a long long season. With the games coming up we are going to be in quite a hole by the end of Semprember. Well back to the second half, reluctantly.

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.