BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

[Archived] Hughes Out

Flopsy

Thirded. I am bitterly disappointed with the result, as well as recent performances and the Wigan match will be burned in the dark side of my brain forever as a low point. But, Mark Hughes is certainly the best manager we could hope for.

The slump in form hurts but lets not forget the fact that we are a team punching well above our weight - thanks to the efforts of the management team.

Hopefully we can use the transfer window to make the changes that are required and turn it around.

Unfortunately, until we are taken over by a bored billionaire, our best hope of staying in the Premiership lies with talented managers like Hughes and players with the potential of Bentley.

• Replies 312
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Eddie just wants to be ahead of the curve so if it does go wrong he can say he told you so.

The only thing this recent run shows me is that we need a few (and only about 3) new faces this month.

Hughes doesnt become a bad manager overnight. Its a blip.

It says a lot that we can have a blip and still be ninth in the league with 6 points of top 6 position.

Id certainly be where we are now than Souness last season in charge, and id rather be 9th than where derby are.

i dont think there is much posters out there who want hughes out... when 1 post that they want hughes out 20 replies so it seems like alot of people are actually voting him out because many people just skip through the pages and assume..

for people who want hughes out... please think before post.

think of our:

finacial state

state before hughes took over

ninth in premier league

6 points of 4th place

half a season to go

very good squad of players

this happens to every team when everything just goes against them in several matches.... remember everton 2 seasons ago? 12 matches past and their 19th but they kept faith in moyes and look where they are now.

our situation isn't even half as bad as them and people are wanting hughes out?? think please! think!

I'm not advocating getting rid of him, just that I'm losing faith in hime. It is based more on performances, his own decisions and the inability to improve certain aspects of the team and remove basics errors. I'm not really judging him on the results themselves. How anyone can't be seriously concerned with the level of performances for the past two months or so really worries me. It's a tough pill to swallow, but he has to be held accountable for them and they have been well below par. Is there a single person on this board who would have accepted being out of the UEFA Cup, League Cup and FA cup whilst sitting 9th in the table at this point in the season? You can defend him all you want with the fact that he doesn't have as much money as some others, but he gets a lot of money to do his job and I think he has a core group of some very good players.
Exactly, he's paid a lot of money to manage a football team and for the last two months he's done a terrible job. He's failed to motivate his players and has been proven to be tactically naive by other managers.

I'm certainly not advocating his dismissal as he's been great here for three years, but he definately needs to be given a formal warning. Let him know that he has full rein on the football side of the business (i.e. he can buy, sell and hire whoever he wants), but remind him that he's not irreplaceable.

Why dont those who are calling for Mark Hughes to go......###### off to Turf moor you brainless shytes! :angry2:

I do agree that some of his tactical decisions are strange sometimes but he has worked wonders with little to no money.....why dont you direct your angst at the board and protest that NOW FINALLY is the time to back Hughes with coin.

I'm not advocating getting rid of him, just that I'm losing faith in hime. It is based more on performances, his own decisions and the inability to improve certain aspects of the team and remove basics errors. I'm not really judging him on the results themselves. How anyone can't be seriously concerned with the level of performances for the past two months or so really worries me. It's a tough pill to swallow, but he has to be held accountable for them and they have been well below par. Is there a single person on this board who would have accepted being out of the UEFA Cup, League Cup and FA cup whilst sitting 9th in the table at this point in the season? You can defend him all you want with the fact that he doesn't have as much money as some others, but he gets a lot of money to do his job and I think he has a core group of some very good players.

Eddie no-one is more disappointed than me with our performances in the cups and our recent form in the league.

However we have to be realistic without Hughes the cub would not be achieving Uefa football, or runs in cups it is nothing short of brilliant what he has done with this club given the pitiful backing he has received. Give me an example of any manager that has had to seel to buy for over seasons.

When fans were getting carried away at the start of the season, I held back because I expected us to plateau off given the quality of our squad and the decay in certain areas mainly central midfield and centre back. At any other club in the premiership this would be addressed to the best of their abilities but because of the limbo position the trust has put the club in the likes of savage, Roberts, henchoz, Mokenoo cannot be replaced

Yes we have some very good players- most bourght buy are excellent manager for peanuts, if i was him i would begin to question my own postion at the club give the relucatance to back him at a time when it impertive to do so

I expect the usual posters to disagree with my views, but unless we invest smartly in players we will see a sharpish decline in the league and perhaps the loss of our manager more quickly than expected. Whether people like it our not transfer kitty along with good training management dictates results it would be nave to believe otherwise perhaps as it was 15-20 years ago

Eddie just wants to be ahead of the curve so if it does go wrong he can say he told you so.

The only thing this recent run shows me is that we need a few (and only about 3) new faces this month.

I don't play told you so. I stuck by Souness until the very end, I was actually sad when he left, but I took a lesson from that. Manager's have shelf-lives, they lose teams, their game-plan is found out, I'm getting closer and closer to thinking that has happened to Hughes. I support the Chicago Bulls and after a couple of good seasons Skiles lost his team, they didn't put in the effort anymore, they weren't playing for him and he needed to go. The guy had done a good job, but it was his time. I'm happy to admit that I was wrong with Souness, I stuck by the cup-winning Souness, the 6th placed finishing, I don't want to do the same with Hughes. What's odd is that many of you accuse me of sticking by the Benni of last year, which perhaps I am and it is probably not right for me to set different standards for players and managers, but the majority of you who are most critical of me for sticking by Benni say that this is a new season and he hasn't produced the good this year, well this is a new season for Hughes and he hasn't produced the goods this year. I'm not going to give a manager carte blanche because he had one great season, one mediocre season and one heading towards poor season.

I don't play told you so. I stuck by Souness until the very end, I was actually sad when he left, but I took a lesson from that. Manager's have shelf-lives, they lose teams, their game-plan is found out, I'm getting closer and closer to thinking that has happened to Hughes. I support the Chicago Bulls and after a couple of good seasons Skiles lost his team, they didn't put in the effort anymore, they weren't playing for him and he needed to go. The guy had done a good job, but it was his time. I'm happy to admit that I was wrong with Souness, I stuck by the cup-winning Souness, the 6th placed finishing, I don't want to do the same with Hughes. What's odd is that many of you accuse me of sticking by the Benni of last year, which perhaps I am and it is probably not right for me to set different standards for players and managers, but the majority of you who are most critical of me for sticking by Benni say that this is a new season and he hasn't produced the good this year, well this is a new season for Hughes and he hasn't produced the goods this year. I'm not going to give a manager carte blanche because he had one great season, one mediocre season and one heading towards poor season.

Does Mark Hughes strop about the sidelines and stare starry eyed at Man Utd saying how great a time he had there? I have stuck by McCarthy more than some but if you are pointing out that Managers are treated differently than players then you should look in a mirror as that is what you are doing here. Why not give Hughes the same benefit that you give McCarthy as this is Hughes first big slump unlike the former.

Edited by rebelmswar

Though utterly dejected by yet another poor performance - can we really lay the blame at the managers door ?

Before the match I thought he had selected a side more than capable of beating Coventry - but also giving youth a chance (something people on this MB have criticised him for recently). But for hitting the post - rather than the back of the net - we may (even allowing for the poor performance) got something out of this match.

For me, and I don't think you can lay the blame totally on MH, key players seem to have had huge dips in their performance levels recently :-

Emerton - for me looks tired, possibly the lack of a proper break in the summer is catching up with him

Nelsen - could be home factors, but he has been poor over the last couple of months

Samba - again maybe home factors, again nowhere near the heights of earlier this season

MGP - actually starting to come into a bit of form at last, but has been poor up until christmas

McCarthy - the ultimate enigma, if he was repeating the performances of last season we would be in the top 4 !

Warnock - seemed to peak against Newcastle, and has been poor ever since

Also add to this injuries to players like Oiijer, Roberts, Derbyshire, Reid - who is available would probably have enabled MH to shake things up a bit (not forgetting the apparent fall out with Savage).

Start of the season - I thought we had the best defence since the championship season, probably the best forward line, and a midfield with a good combination of skill, hard work and goal threat - not forgetting the ever green Friedel. I don't think anyone could have foreseen the drop in form of key players.

One thing is certain - we do have the players - and we will now see how good a manager MH really is. I just hope that the board give him the money to prove (what I believe) that he is the best manager we have had since King Kenny (and possibly better given relative funds).

I was telling a Citeh fan last night in the pub that I thought Mark Hughes was the best manager we've had in all my years supporting the Rovers. I don't want him to go, but it is very worrying. The players aren't performing, whose job is it to make them perform? The Manager/Coaches. We all know we have some great players and some average-half decent ones, but they are playing like a bunch of chimps! I find it hard to think that it is just a 'blip' and all the players have struck bad form all at once. If Hughes has lost the dressing room, it's the beginning of the end for him.......

Tell ya what, bring back Brian Kidd is what I say to all you maoning gits. At the same time, make Bobby Saxton or Don Mackay his assistant.

Yes we all might be a little grassed off at the moment but to want rid of Hughes and Co ? You seriously must be joking right ?

We are 9th in the league and for once have no cup football to look forward to. We can get over it, I have even if I am a little embarrassed at todays scoreline.

Lets see what happens in the next few days.

We are joined today by fans of Bolton, Everton, Brum and Sunderland in exiting the Cup to lesser teams. i am sure that they all want their management teams out as well !!!!

GET A LIFE :brfcsmilie:

Hughes doesnt become a bad manager overnight. Its a blip.

It says a lot that we can have a blip and still be ninth in the league with 6 points of top 6 position.

Id certainly be where we are now than Souness last season in charge, and id rather be 9th than where derby are.

This is a two and half month old blip and growing we are nineth today but come the end of the season if this continues we'll finish twelth or thirteenth next season it become another relegation battle.

Action is required now!!!!!!

Why dont those who are calling for Mark Hughes to go......###### off to Turf moor you brainless shytes! :angry2:

I do agree that some of his tactical decisions are strange sometimes but he has worked wonders with little to no money.....why dont you direct your angst at the board and protest that NOW FINALLY is the time to back Hughes with coin.

absolutely right. Hughesy hasn't suddenly become a bad manager. Do we want to do a 'Newcastle' and sack a great coach (booby robson) and get an awful one (graham sounes).

I don't want to see Hughes go but I do feel he has lost his way in recent weeks.

I can't agree with the decision to sell Savage when the alternatives are a 37 year old and a guy who clearly isn't good enough.

I can't agree with the decision to sell Roberts when it seems plain that McCarthy's heart just isn't in it.

I can't agree with the retention of various fringe players who plainly aren't good enough and will never add anything to the first team.

Testing times ahead I fear.

The Board and Trustees may well soon get the results their continued lack of backing for the manager over the last few seasons deserves.

I for one would not advocate Hughes being dismissed. Football is a short term, fast paced, quick changing environment and not many stay fresh over the long course. For every Alex Ferguson there are 99 Brian Kidds who can wreck a club in a short period. Everthing should be open to analysis.

I agree with what has been said. Hughes' biggest success has been position quid pro quo spending. He has worked miracles. I think most people agree he has shipped out lesser players and brought in not just better ones, but good one's for little (and probably smaller wages too).

Critisism where it is due is fine and I think there are some points that Hughes needs to address. He has mishandled his squad this season. There is clearly now a huge crises of confidence, so many players underperforming. The pack has been shuffled too often. Even at PNE in preseason it was clear to see Hughes was unhapy with the midfield and had pencilled Bentley in to play at least three roles. Striker, wide right midfield banging in crosses, and a floating midfielder linking midfield and attack. Tinkering has also gone in in defence. We have not had a settled team despite Hughes having assembled our best squad in ages. Like the fans, you sense the players feel frustrated that out of form players are playing and those not playing, aren't getting a fair chance.

Rather than play like a confident team, we are playing like a bunch of misfits who don't believe in themselves or each other. The work rate has dropped alarmingly, the crisp give and go's dried up, the movement almost obsolete. It is like a cancer. Hughes failed to nip it in the bud back in Autumn, and it now appears to have spread to everyone. Players are slapping in transfer requests, showing open desent at being subbed, storming off down the tunnel and players on TV are not giving Hughes/the club 100% commitment. Lack of confidence is so endemic at the moment Hughes doen't even have any options in reserves now.

It is only my own observation, but I felt the away game in Larrisa against a poor side was hugely damaging. PLayers like Europe. Clubs may not but players do. Larrisa are poor. Hughes shuffled the pack again, playing a tactically naive formation. That was the game where doubts in players minds started for me. We then had four games that got away from us where we should have got the right result. Larrisa home, Portsmouth home, Fulham away where refeering decisions where bad and Aston Villa at home where we were magnificent for the 35minutes, until they scored against the run of play, and we eneded up losing 4-0.

Hughes seems to be similar to most managers and reminds me of Souness. He must hear some of the constructive points by reasonable fans, see the poor performances. However he has huge self belief (and cloth ears as my gran would say!). He seems to want to accentuate the positives after every game, but you wonder if he is ignoring areas where improvements can be made. My worry is players pretty much think the same as (reasonable) fans when you speak to them in private and you can see this accumalation of events that creates the lack of confidence that exists.

I think it's tin hats time. Hatches battened. Back to hard work and graft. Fancy dans out. Pack the problemaic midfield. Dunn one player who has played all season with as much passion as any other player should be one of the first names on the team sheet. The next bg decision is lack of leadership. I would rest Nelsen, clearly unfit from his previous injury and give Dunn the captaincy. A bit of local Blackburn pride, a willingness to bust a gut and lead by example is needed. Whilst not Ouijar's biggets fan, he needs to be given a run and told so, told to lead/capain as well.

Emerton needs to move into midfield to play the Savage role. Running chasing. He is one of our fittest players. Peds needs to rested. Bentley is an automatic and whilst a critique of Tugs, I would like to see him in a four man passing midfield with Emo. We need to have a midfield where players believe once again they can pass to a team mate AND have a chance of getting it back.

Set pieces have been poor. Again Dunn probably delivers the best set pieces/crosses/corners of the current crop.

THe one player I would keep in is Benni.

IN the end we have to start thinking about scrapping rather than playing.

Edited by graham_

I know that some of Hughes' selections and substitions have been baffling in recent weeks, however it would show incompetence on behalf of the board should they EVER sack Hughes without him being given funds during his tenure here. There's a table on one of these threads that shows us bottom, by some margin, with regards to transfers in and out, and unless we back the manager then we cannot say that he hasn't done a good enough job. The time to assess Hughes' situation would be after we've backed him in the transfer market - but lets be honest this isn't going to happen anytime soon.

Edited by Somerset Rover!

What's odd is that many of you accuse me of sticking by the Benni of last year, which perhaps I am and it is probably not right for me to set different standards for players and managers, but the majority of you who are most critical of me for sticking by Benni say that this is a new season and he hasn't produced the good this year, well this is a new season for Hughes and he hasn't produced the goods this year.

A quarter final appearance in a cup and being in the top half of the league...six points from the Champions League places....suggest that he has produced the goods this season. Maybe the problem is that you don't know what the "goods" are? What were you expecting when he has spent very little since his time here and took over a weakened, demoralised squad headed for the Championship?

Nobody is too happy at some of the results but, overall, Hughes continues to impress.

Now is the time for the club to back him in the transfer market and see what happens in the rest of the season. We won't go down and will probably be around the halfway mark...maybe even higher if we start pulling our socks up again. That sounds like a successful enough campaign in the bigger scheme of things.

I think it's tin hats time. Hatches battened. Back to hard work and graft. Fancy dans out.

THe one player I would keep in is Benni.

No offence Graham because I do agree with alot of what you say, but if you're wanting rid of 'fancy dans' and players who aren't giving 110% then Benni should be one of the first players out.

I can't agree with the decision to sell Savage when the alternatives are a 37 year old and a guy who clearly isn't good enough.

I can't agree with the decision to sell Roberts when it seems plain that McCarthy's heart just isn't in it.

We don't know what the alternatives are yet or who Hughes will be looking to bring in. At least we could see what he does in this transfer window before saying "I can't agree". We will all be in a better position to have a look at what Hughes is thinking in just under a month when we know what our squad is for the rest of the season.

Edited by FourLaneBlue

Critisism where it is due is fine and I think there are some points that Hughes needs to address. He has mishandled his squad this season. There is clearly a crises of confidence, so many players underperforming. The pack has been shuffled. Even at PNE in preseason it was clear to see Hughes was unhapy with the midfield and had pencilled Bentley in to play at least three roles. Striker, wide right midfield banging in crosses, and a floating midfielder linking midfield and attack. Tinkering has also gone in in defence. Like the fans, you sense the players feel frustrated that out of form players are playing and those playing aren't getting a chance.

Absolutely spot on graham,you get the feeling Hughes still is not sure what his best team is with the constant ongoing tinkering,with this being either a direct result of injuries or loss of form to players....we all know that somewhere within this set of players 'hides' a decent side.

So Frustrating.

Edited by SIMON GARNERS 194

Im sorry, but i hate when people say, we must always play our 'best' team. Different players suit different matches (i,e, what the likes of Ferguson does at United). We are 3 points of 6th place FFS, get a grip! We're on a bad run of form/confidence...it's called football!! Get over it! Happens to every team apart from the top 3. A win at Bolton and Hughes will be King again ay!?

And its amazing how before the game, people we're saying this was the game to give the likes of Traecey and Rigters a chance! Now Hughes has done that, he's an idiot. Wake up people!

Edited by greggyk

Alot of teams fall behind in a game of football but I don't see them concede as much as we do whilst they're attacking? Today was a perfect example, we fell behind, went forward to equalise and conceded 4 goals, same againts Villa. Everton went behind, they didn't concede 4, bolton went behind they didn't concede 4.

I think we are not defending as a TEAM!

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.