SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

[Archived] Liverpool Match Review 2 - 2

Ste B

• Replies 240
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Just face it, we are going to LOSE this one! Last time we beat Liverpool in the Premier Leage was 03/11-1996 when we won 3-0 on Ewood Park.

Rovers 1

Liverpool 4

Att: 23 011

Btw, did you know that Rovers have won 5 out of the last 20 matches on Ewood Park?

In other words we win 1 out of every 4 games at home (25%), and when did we win last at home game?

Against Pompey, and after that we have played 3 home games without winning! ohmy.gif

WHAT AM I SAYING?

The home game against Liverpool is our fourth since we last won, which makes this easy equation: 4 x 25% = 1 which means there is a 100% chance of us beating Liverpool on saturday!

You cant argue with statistics, so the result will be:

Rovers 2

Liverpool 1

Place your bets folks!

rover.gif

Edited by krislu

Just face it, we are going to LOSE this one! Last time we beat Liverpool in the Premier Leage was 03/11-1996 when we won 3-0 on Ewood Park.

We looked like getting relegated that year as well, and it was beating Liverpool that kick-started our season... maybe the same will be true here?

Blackburn 1-0 Liverpool

Ferguson (54)

A far improved defensive performance to result in a 2-0 defeat.

Liverpool look awesome all over the pitch right now and I just do not know how we are going to keep them at bay or break them down.

The formation I would go for is...

Friedel

Neill / Short / Todd / Gray

Emerton / Ferguson / Reid / Djorkaeff

Stead / Bothroyd

I think we need to play narrowly to prevent Alonso and Hamaan dictating the game and that this formation will best achieve this.

There is no way in hell Dickov is going to get near the liverpool goal on his own against Carragher and hyppia and I think we need Bothroyds strength.

Edited by tcj_jones

Just face it, we are going to LOSE this one! Last time we beat Liverpool in the Premier League was 03/11-1996 when we won 3-0 on Ewood Park.

As I posted elsewhere - bottom of the league and a club in turmoil. Same time of year. There's a lot of similarities between our predicament now and back in 1996.

Match Report

Still get beat 3-1 though. What price on Lucas Neill completing the hat-trick of scouse sending off's?

Edited by Hasta

Just face it, we are going to LOSE this one! Last time we beat Liverpool in the Premier League was 03/11-1996 when we won 3-0 on Ewood Park.

As I posted elsewhere - bottom of the league and a club in turmoil. Same time of year. There's a lot of similarities between our predicament now and back in 1996.

Match Report

Still get beat 3-1 though. What price on Lucas Neill completing the hat-trick of scouse sending off's?

Fat chance of a repeat of '96 - it started with a pen!!!!

tinykit.gifcool.gif

DOOMED

I think we will lose this. However I wont mind losing if we

a) Show fight

cool.gif Show some Bottle

c) Score a goal

d) Look like we give a stuff about actually staying up

If we dont do this then im going to carry on being all doom and gloom because I think we're stuffed good and proper and Mark Hughes is not the answer (prove me wrong please)

but then again im just attention seeking

Stead will badly need to score to get his confidence back. he's trying too hard lately. Especially in front of the home fans.

I hope the formation will be like this:

_________Jansen______Stead

MGP_____Fergie______Thompson_______Emerton

_______________(Flitcroft, most likely)

Gray_____NEJ________Short___________Neil

______________Friedel

1-0 to the rovers, stead converting a penalty after jansen was brought down by carragher (with lady luck around). rolleyes.gif

I reckon if the players play their hearts out, could hope for at least a point. If they are still playing like they did in the last two games. Sorry man, sad.gif another thrashing is on the way.

Edited by emglch

Well, I wonder what the odds are for Rovers winning this game 1-0 from a Penalty? Might stick a few bob on this the odds are high. According to the Rovers website, it's now 50 games since we last had a penalty - corr blimey!

Like someone else said, it all depends on who we play, in what position and what formation. If we play 4-4-2 we all the players on their natural position, I think we have a chance. I also hope that Lucas "I'm not a bad boy" Neill doesn't get sent off again!

Ste

We are going to get hammered.

I think it's time we played with three centre backs (have we got three that are any good?)

Introducing the 3-6-1 formation

Todd, Short, Johannson at the back

Emerton and Gray down the flanks.

Tugay in front of the back four.

Ferguson in the middle with Djorkaeff just in front.

Gamst Pederson trying to make himself useful, and Boothroyd up front.

One of the last teams you want to be facing after two 4-0 drubbings is an in form Liverpool side. Hughes has got a huge job in trying to get the players fired up and installing a bit of confidence in the side.

I've thought long and hard about what the best 11 would be, and the options don't look great. The best I reckon we can hope for (assuming Tommo is out) is

Brad

Neill, Nissa, Short, Grey

Emerton Reid Ferguson Gresko

Jansen Boothroyd

At the back I've gone for Short and Nissa as IMO when Nissa's played he has done well (albeit he hasn't played often.) Also when Short and Todd play together, last season they had a nasty tendancy to back off too much (Portsmouth home Liverpool away). With Nissa being a bit more pacier and Short's experience hopefully the defence won't back off so much.

The full backs don't have much competition. Besides both, especially Grey can perform well, although their performance is often linked to how badly the centre backs are playing. Hopefully a more stable centre of the defence should see the full backs pick up their form a bit.

In midfield Ferguson and Emo, our best outfield players pick themselves. Needless to say Emo should be played on the right. I'd choose Reid as Barry's central mid partner as he can fulfil a more defensive roll and can get stuck in, whilst still having a bit of pace. Again my thinking for playing Gresko is similar in that it will give a bit more protection for tge back through another player who doesn't mind getting stuck in. I'd consider Djorkaeff (sp) and Pederson too lightweight for this kind of encounter.

Up front Matty and Boothroyd. Matty may only so glimpses of what he once was, but that's a lot more than what any other striker has shown recently. Jansen has a lot to play for is good in the air and again will work hard for the team. Boothroyd deserves his chance, I think he might have a bit of power and pace. Certainly a bit more physical presence up front would be welcome. Also he's scored in the Italian league, reputedly the hardest to score in and played as a lone striker (apparently.) This would indicate that he'd be best suited to feeding off the scraps our strikers are getting.

With the right game plan and attitude we're capable of a draw. But a lot will depend on how often we switch off in defence. I can see it being like Charlton where we switch off at vital moments despite a decent performance. If this is the case (which it's likely to be) a 2-0 defeat is on the cards.

Confidence kapput, supporters ditto; playing a team full of johnny foreigners. Sounds like last week , so I'm going for the same score : Rovers 0 Liverpool 4. (" well", says Barry Davies, " the last time a Premier League side lost 4-0 on three successive occasions was ... I'll corect that, this is the first occasion!")

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.