BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

[Archived] Liverpool Match Review 2 - 2

Ste B

although I would love to be more optimistic, I still feel that, any team, even the worse in the history of the premier will have games when they play well,yeah it was a good performance but only 1 single point and we are possibly going to be 20th again tonight with the worse goal difference in the league. So i'm not going to punish myself with optimism and we have seen it before and been let down.

My main hope is that Reid may be able to play CM and cover the possiblity that Tugay is going to be extremely inconsistent again. And obviously Thompson's return would be helpful.

I think that if we have a good midfield and defence, and if there is any chance that De Pedro still has his old abilites as Hughes I think is hopeful of with his workrate in recent weeks, then Stead could still have a good season, because I always see moments of class that tell me he is going to be a class player one day, and his time has to come sooner or latter for our sake and to get supporters back to Ewood.

• Replies 240
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I can never be bothered posting when i get home after the games cause by the time i get back its time for match of the day, then on sundays everyone has said what i wanna say. However, id just like to say...

NISSA...i wanna shake your hand. I couldnt believe my eyes. Ive been slating him on here for a few weeks now because he doesnt look confident and seems nervous. But yesterday, if he can perform like that he can have that starting spot all season. I expected short to run the defensive team and carry nissa, but nissa was totally in control and seemed to want to be the boss. Brilliant! Im so pleased.

Special mention also to bothroyd who took his chance and how good can he hold up the ball!? Emerton has been excellent since hughes came in and was class yesterday. Reid was good. The whole team played well although Tugay is worrying me. Didnt like the way lucas got caught for the first goal, i saw that happen 20 seconds before it did. And of course jays free kick but that happens.

Excellent ROVERS!! PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE keep it up.

One thing that left a sour taste in my mouth was the constant play acting by Lpool. Ok poor old Cisse had obvious justification for staying down after the incident but can I make the point here that he never moved an inch! No one wriggles about with a serious injury but particularly in the second half too many Reds were giving it the dying swan in order to get Rovers players carded. Sure Styles to his credit was in general having none of it but I bet its a tactic that Benitez has instilled and will prob work far better at Anfield.

Credit to the Rovers for playing fair........ at one point Johanssen actually did the opposite by getting up and hobbling around whilst clearly in some pain. I guess that maybe down to the attitudes of both Souness and Hughes.

Blowing my own trumpet here but I posted this on the portsmouth thread...

Gotta say I was mighty impressed with what I saw of Bothroyd. It wasn't much granted, but he certainly looks good, and his presence may allow Stead a little time in the reserves / on the bench to regain his confidence which it appears that he needs.

Well I am even more impressed with his ability now. Dickovs fine but he needs a big man alongside, depending on Stead and Jansen to find some semblence of form would see us relegated, whilst Djorkaef is a provider. I hope this doesn't prove to be the kiss of death but Bothroyd whether he has a suspect temperament or not appears to have most of the attributes required by a good cf. He is fast, mobile, strong, good in the air, appears genuinly two footed and has good control and first touch. I know that he is only on loan but if he can buckle down, and he as at a stage in his career where he must do, then he could be the find of the season (albeit by GS ohmy.gif ) and hopefully provide the cutting edge that could keep us up. Time inevitably will tell but his performance yesterday validated my first impression and gave me much cause for optimism.

Well played to the Rovers in a very good result vs l'pool, in a game in which we could have easily snatch the 3 points. The crowd were excellent during the game and only the 5.15 (stupid time), stopped it being a full house.

Emerton was amazing, i'll have whatever he is on (as long as it legal)! As for Bothroyd, i thought he looked good when i went to Charlton and he sure has bags of potential. i hope he can use it further in the coming months.

Well done Rovers, with special mentions to Emerton (who is at last looking like the player we bought) and Ferguson, although it's unfair to single out individuals as I thought the general TEAM attitude was excellent today- they were up for it and showed no lack of skill. Some of the possession football was great, especially first half. And it was creative in the last third too!

PS All the best to Cisse- hope he comes back the same player.

One thing that left a sour taste in my mouth was the constant play acting by Lpool. Ok poor old Cisse had obvious justification for staying down after the incident but can I make the point here that he never moved an inch! No one wriggles about with a serious injury but particularly in the second half too many Reds were giving it the dying swan in order to get Rovers players carded.

Well said.

I was un-impressed by several players from the Liverpool side who continuously dived, play acted.

Several Liverpool players dived etc in the early moments of the game, when Cisse went down, everyone thought he was as well, me included.

This is what has happened to the game. At the time of the incident when it happens, the first impression I get is that he's dived, not a horrific injury.

Also Baros went in dirtyily on Friedel in-front of the Darwen End.

The diving will be in our game for a long time, whether or not foreigners play in the English game because young kids seem to think because they do it, we can.

I think most things have already been said on here, we showed fight and spirit even going down 1-0, we didnt fold and put up a fight to get back into the game, just a pity we gave them a easy second goal, we can be more confident going into our next two away games, against teams we should be beating.

Was anyone at one the BBE bars during first half when one of the lads working behind the bar threw his cap to the floor and walked out of the bar.

Most people will agree that Bothroyd did well. However we were a little concerned at times with his positioning-either not in a striker's position or didn't have enough speed/stamina to get into position.

Seemed to have "run out of puff" by the end so we weren't surprised he was taken off. On Radio Rovers, he said he had been having trouble with his groin during the week so he was taken off as a precaution.

Interesting read that den. One point I would take exception to is the comment "make no mistake, Blackburn are a poor side."

I don't know what the people at the ground felt but on TV it looked like Rovers were as classy (or not as the case maybe) as Liverpool. Certainly there was a gulf between this performance and the Rovers at Chelsea and an even bigger gap between Rovers v Liverpool and Leeds v Wigan.

The fact that we looked comfortably the equals of if not better than a Champions League team for 85% of the game is I am sure the reason why this MB is so much more perky since Saturday evening. But for McEveley's moment of idiocy, I doubt Liverpool would have fashioned a draw from that game.

I don't think Brad, Jay Mac (although apparently poor for the reserves), Short (although becoming a trundler), Nissa (despite poor form/ confidence when he's played before), Emerton (ditto), Ferguson (no rider there), Reid (despite taking a long time to find his feet), Tugay (now losing it), Dickov or Boothroyd are poor players.

The problem is that the side does have potential. But there are way too many qualifiers in the above. There's a number of players who simply have to be replaced by close season: Tugay and Short (and that's just from the team that started), then some players need to maintain the improvement shown against Liverpool (no comments about who this is), additionally Jonny Stead needs his confidence rebuilding.

In summary, for me at least, it's clear that the squad has some dreadful players in it (mainly defenders), some good players in the twilight of their careers, some pretty good players and some enigmas (Jansen/ Emerton). What we're painfully lacking is players proven at the highest level, and this needs to be remedied ASAP.

McEveley, Nissa, Reid , Tugay, Dickov and Bothroyd are capable of good performances, what they haven't proven yet, is that they can do it consistently.

That is the real BIG test of this management - can they get performances out of those players every week?

It's a pretty big "if".

It's so frustrating ... and typical Rovers.

If that performance level can be coaxed out of the players 75% of the time we'll be OK. We should be OK. But can they now put it out regularly? And will it be enough in a crowded lower half of the division.

Rovers ... bad for your health! dry.gif

On Radio Lancs it said that Matteo missed the game because of injury and he would most likely be in contention for next week's match.

In the LET it said that Jay was deputising for Matteo-this suggests that Nissa will be playing again next week. Hughes said,"I thought Nissa Johansson took to his task well."

On Radio Lancs it said that Matteo missed the game because of injury and he would most likely be in contention for next week's match.

In the LET it said that Jay was deputising for Matteo-this suggests that Nissa will be playing again next week. Hughes said,"I thought Nissa Johansson took to his task well."

did a very good job of letting the ball bounce in the area one time i recall

its no wonder we are bottom with morons like him playing

Im sorry I just do not feel that letting the ball bounce in the area is on, regardless of lack of match practice or not.

Tugay can also pack his bags, for pulling out the challenge other night when Short and Nissa took Garcia down.

Im sorry but we need everyone fighting right now

What i meant was, you said "its no wonder we are bottom with morons like him [Nissa] playing". And he hasn't been playing, so he's hardly to blame. I still don't rate him him, and the mistake you're talking about was ridiculous and almost costly.

Let's just hope that we have reached the crest of the slump and that we saw the green shoots of recovery peeping out from amongst the wreckage of the Souness era on Saturday.

Positives: Emerton, Bothroyd, and Reid were excellent. Emerton in particular has now shown he can perform on either flank if he wants, so there really is no excuse for him only putting in the two or three good performances we saw last year.

Short and NEJ looked 100% more reliable than Hulk Hogan and Matteo. Ferguson played well again and Tugay bounced back commendably from the sending off. The goal apart McEveley performed admirably after a long absence from first team action. Why on earth was he shamefully overlooked last season by Souness?

Negatives:

Neill was the weakest link in an underperforming side last season and has continued in similar fashion this season. Time to get some value out of the 4 year contract we gave Douglas in the close season and give him his chance.

I may be in the minority on this but after a bright start to the season I think Dickov has looked poor and out of his depth in the last few games. He hasn't scored in eight matches (which is pretty much in keeping with his career record) and I can't see that ratio improving. Would like to see Stead starting alongside Bothroyd, whose display on Saturday came as somewhat of a revelation as he displayed signs of real quality.

Why on earth was he shamefully overlooked last season by Souness?

Call me picky, but it might have had to do with a little injury he sustained. He did give him his break, after all, and in a match where he was starting a newly loaned left back out of position to be able to play Jay.

Neill is past it, sorry never had it, but I don't know about Douglas for right back. There and central mid are completely different positions, could he adapt, do a reverse Super Atko?

As for Dickov, he should be dropped; toil, hard work, and effort doesn't add up to goals. Yes, he is a complete pain for defenders but if he can't score it's pointless having him. City and Leicester didn't do that well with him. He is a good player but I would have Stead and Bothroyd up there, both tall but different players, Bothroyd can dribble and Stead can do the donkey work. If it's not working bring on Dickov for 20 minutes to run around and annoy defenders. Bothroyd has a chequered past but he has genuine quality, he needs special treatment and if Hughes manages to bring out his good side, we are going to have a good striker.

Intersting to see that Souness is after Huth and Dawson, two players talked about regularly on here. Both would be good for us, but we are left with Matteo the lump. I like Amoruso, maybe with a pacy player next to him he'd do better.

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.