BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

[Archived] Mk Dons @ Stadium Mk, Saturday October 17Th 15:00 Ko

Sadly Howard's passing and reading some of the stuff from then highlights the change in attitude of the "fan" these days.

What got me was the reminder of us stood on the Blackburn End singing Picka Picka Pickering, even though he had just got us relegated. Howards start that almost mirrors Bowyers this season and Bergs and Appletons. Fans stood by Mr Kendal, can you imagine that now? Not a chance.

To be fair, Bowyer has had little to no grief at games in all his time here, remember this is his third season, not his first. The fanbase has been extremely patient.

• Replies 430
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Spot on sambo. It was just shocking defending. An appalling read of the situation. I really want Henley to come good and fair play to him for being selected for the Wales squad. At times he looks a decent player. At other times he looks a liability.

Be interesting to see if Dyche targets Henley again as the weak link in our side. I remember from our defeat on Ewood 2 seasons ago Burnley deliberately targeted Henley. Their right back Trippier kept hitting long cross field balls over Henley's head, as oppose to the usual outlet down the line.

Well trippiers gone, they now have darikwa and he's shyte. We can target him.. :)

To be fair, Bowyer has had little to no grief at games in all his time here, remember this is his third season, not his first. The fanbase has been extremely patient.

Bowyer has had plenty of time now, I don't think he'll come good sadly. He's lacking somewhere mentally I think, ala Nigel Clough..

RE the foul: Just imagine it was the MK Dons player who'd done the same to Rhodes and it wasn't given. Or if it had been given and only a yellow. Had we then failed to win, Bowyer would have been up in arms berating the ref in his post-match presser. He'd have whinged how we should have had a man advantage and bla bla we know the rest.

He said in the LT they were contemplating appealing the red. Baloney. He knows they won't appeal it, he'd just rather have something to whinge about and a convenient excuse as to why we were tonked. I can think of very few occasions where Bowyer has come out and admitted the performance wasn't up to scratch and I can't think of one occasion where he's even implied he got it wrong tactically, despite him being at fault plenty. The man will always look to blame someone else, even if there is no one else to blame. Failing that we get the usual 'ever so well' and 'right good go' platitudes that litter the man's pressers.

was listening to BBC Radio Lancs tonight and both Ian Bryson and Ian Battersby both said it was very harsh sending off for Henley and doubted how much contact they were.

Did Ian Battersby have anything interesting to say Chaddy? Did they get on to the subject of owners and running the club etc?

Your posts are an insult to everyone who laboured to build this club into a bigger and better one. If it were down to people like you, we never would've had the glory years because 'things can always be worse'. It's the sort of small-time mentality that pervades the current regime, and when it starts rubbing off on the terraces, we've already lost.

Fans are fed up of supporting Rovers FULL STOP. They can't enjoy wins because there's no light at the end of the tunnel. It's not like each win is a step towards a bigger goal, other than the bare minimum of league survival. The key difference between now and forty years ago is that we didn't have astronomical debts, a transfer embargo, absentee owners, and the three stooges running the show.

If you had any comprehension of the history of this club - from 1875 not just 1991 - I must take you more seriously. But you don't so that really is the end of the conversation.

Sadly Howard's passing and reading some of the stuff from then highlights the change in attitude of the "fan" these days.

What got me was the reminder of us stood on the Blackburn End singing Picka Picka Pickering, even though he had just got us relegated. Howards start that almost mirrors Bowyers this season and Bergs and Appletons. Fans stood by Mr Kendal, can you imagine that now? Not a chance.

Exactly right USABlue. If this board had been around then you would have had the usual suspects demanding a poll on sacking Kendall when slipped towards the relegation zone in Division Three. How times have changed.

Exactly right USABlue. If this board had been around then you would have had the usual suspects demanding a poll on sacking Kendall when slipped towards the relegation zone in Division Three. How times have changed.

You are being disingenuous here Parson, as I said on the last page, this is Bowyer's third season with no progress, not his first. No issue with you being behind the bloke, but don't distort the facts.

You called me an attention seeker for posting about protest, which was fine, you don't really know me. But rest assured if I do something I do it properly and risked a ban/ fine and possible loss of my job last time I took direct action, so I'm one of the few that can claim to have talked the talk and walked the walk, sadly **** got ushered away down the tunnel or we'd have had words :D

So I hope that explains my position and thanks for the reasoned reply :tu:

Is that something I said to you recently Gav (last six months) and was it definitely aimed at you? I don't tend to post in anger and the only time I remember writing something like that was actually in response to Glen when I felt he was just stirring things up and then purposefully doing a disappearing act.

If you had any comprehension of the history of this club - from 1875 not just 1991 - I must take you more seriously. But you don't so that really is the end of the conversation.

You cannot seriously claim that, in the recent past, supporters got behind their manager whatever the circumstances until he was sacked? That is indeed a distortion.

In any case, whatever part of the past you refer to there was NEVER a time when we were done over by people who never had the best interests of the club either in mind or heart. You are ignoring the context of events. In the blink an eye we have gone from being a secure Premier League team to one struggling to remain in the second tier. We have gone from being arguably the best run club in the country, (one which other clubs aspired to emulate) to being a laughing stock.

To try to rationalise this as you have, that this is all part of a continuum and we are simply in a normal phase of a recurring cycle that we've seen before is worse than distortion.

Completely agree Gav. If you can't enjoy wins there is no point in going to matches. I think you make a very telling point about having seen tough times before. Let's be honest there was a time when we could only dream of being where we actually are today so I suppose everything is relative. Of course, it was better in the Premier League, just as it was better being in the First Division in the early sixties rather than in the Third Division in the early seventies. I think most supporters of town clubs would feel the same. I'm sure that Burnley fans who watched that wonderful Championship side of 59-60 enjoyed that far more than the years spent in the Fourth Division! One thing you can't deny about tough times, it makes you appreciate the good times even more.

Cue the Hovis Advert!

You cannot seriously claim that, in the recent past, supporters got behind their manager whatever the circumstances until he was sacked? That is indeed a distortion.

In any case, whatever part of the past you refer to there was NEVER a time when we were done over by people who never had the best interests of the club either in mind or heart. You are ignoring the context of events. In the blink an eye we have gone from being a secure Premier League team to one struggling to remain in the second tier. We have gone from being arguably the best run club in the country, (one which other clubs aspired to emulate) to being a laughing stock.

To try to rationalise this as you have, that this is all part of a continuum and we are simply in a normal phase of a recurring cycle that we've seen before is worse than distortion.

Cue the Hovis Advert!

Correct, fans didn't have polls so they let their voices do the talking on match day. Probably partly a reason why there isn't much protest on match days around the country these days. People are on their mobiles venting their spleens on the internet etc, bound to take the edge off it.

I remember plenty hostility towards Saxton and the board on the terraces and outside the officials entrance after people had enough. All things considered he'd done a better job than these lot hands down and it's daft to keep harking back as a lot of fans weren't even born in the 60/70s so it's not their fault. Times change and a point here is the fact back then yes we were run by locals who loved the club but they didn't have a fleet of Bentleys between them. These lot are multi multi millionares at the least and have allowed this regime to continue to run with an unsustainable wage bill despite a few cuts.

About time there was some bang being delivered for their buck.

Your posts are an insult to everyone who laboured to build this club into a bigger and better one. If it were down to people like you, we never would've had the glory years because 'things can always be worse'. It's the sort of small-time mentality that pervades the current regime, and when it starts rubbing off on the terraces, we've already lost.

Fans are fed up of supporting Rovers FULL STOP. They can't enjoy wins because there's no light at the end of the tunnel. It's not like each win is a step towards a bigger goal, other than the bare minimum of league survival. The key difference between now and forty years ago is that we didn't have astronomical debts, a transfer embargo, absentee owners, and the three stooges running the show.

So much tosh, so little time to respond.

We had the glory years because of one man who was astronomically rich, not because of an energised, sky's the limit fanbase. The fans, before he got spending, had no thought whatsoever of ever having any glory years again. Scraping up via the playoffs and coming straight down would've been greeted like the Second Coming. Still, you had to be there I suppose to know that.

I'd like to know how you know from Hampshire that all fans are fed up and none of them enjoy wins. Unlike you, I made it to a game this season and found the atmosphere upbeat with a 2-0 win being greeted very positively, the team being clapped off.

Cue the Hovis Advert!

Clubs have ups and downs for a variety of reasons - owners being one of them. Town clubs are particularly vulnerable to the winds of fortune. John Williams always said that if the Rovers were relegated it would be extremely difficult to get back and so it is proving. Boardroom decisions have cost the club in the past when you look at it's history - like the chairman who said he wouldn't put another penny into the club and that everyone was for sale at the right price. Bad management at Boardroom level is not something new to this club. In the recent past we have been fortunate in the men who have occupied those positions - Bill Bancroft, Bill Fox, John Williams etc. - although let's not forget that Fox was given a tough time when he stuck with Bob Saxton through a couple of bad seasons.

Boardroom and ownership problems are STILL a factor when nailing your flag to the "in or out" mast.

Ignoring it, and even going as far as calling those that consider it "apologists" is incredibly ridiculous.

As Gav rightly points out, why is the middle ground so intangible?

Whilst Mustard points out many truths- it is still obvious to me that more wholesale changes are necessary to improve chances of promotion. Notably a chairman who doesn't deflect blame and a communication director who actually tries to reinvigorate the fan base.

Someone said we are a manage change away from top six. It's worth remembering that we where a prem team who changed ownership to this lot. Their decisions have put us here, and it's a whole lot more likely that they will make more poor ones!

That's not apologising for GB or burying the head in the sand- quite opposite.

Seeing the situation as cut and dry/black or white/yes or no/in or out is the very definition of burying ones head in the dirt!

• Backroom

As others have said, the whole lot need binning if we're going to get anywhere. Shaw is at the top of the list, but Myers and Bowyer are right behind him. Can't see it happening any time soon though, as the lack of communication from the owners (they never saw Bowyer in the summer, did they?) suggests they've basically lost interest and are just writing us off as a relatively small loss-making entity for the foreseeable future.

The Q & A discussion mainly put GB over as how I've seen him at least, intent in the right direction. He wants us to succeed and comes across as the type who would put a lot in to achieve it. Quality or not.

I don't have that view of the others. I see them as self serving. Whilst the lot might be promoted beyond their stations, I trust GB more in his role than either other.

If it came to another chosen in the way the previous - handled with more "advisors" or "it was my first day"ers' then I shudder at the outcome.

Find us an advisor that the fan base trust wholeheartedly and ask Venkys to open up dialogue. It's one of the only ways I see things improving.

Point already made..

Pragmatists v reactionists!

That's what this thread, as with the majority of threads, end up as on here these days. A sad indicment of an instant gratification junkie monkey society/mentality.

I'd like to come on here and discuss how the referee scuppered us from the 9th minute and then steadfastly refused to make another significant decision in the game, because he knew he'd blown the first one. The linesmen weren't any better either. A collective fail me thinks!

i'd like to chat about how the remaining 10 rovers on the pitch found their feet after the sending off and yes i'm going to say it, prepare yourselves y'alll... THEY HAD A REET GOOD GO! They played for each other, they played for the manager and the coaching staff and they played for the 1K+travelling fans. I honestly don't see how people can't see this!!!

I'd like to chat about how Marshall was man of the match in the first half, from full back. Doing defensive duties, but driving forward at every opportunity. He got the bit between his teeth and tried to affect the game, as did each and every player on the pitch. How after half time Marshall was targetted by the opposition as being a player trying to do a job out of position and as he and the rest of the players did, tired after putting in the effort to get something out of the game.

Instead, i come on here, like some kind of week in week out masochist (more fool me eh) and have to read comments like "well i heard Marshall had a stinker". Well, i'm glad you heard something, the positives are, at least it shows your brain is still functioning at some sort of cognotive level at least. And you can type too. Yay...

Or, and i kid you not, have a look back, it's on here somewhere, something to the effect of; "how come when every other side gets reduced to ten men they rally and make a fight of it, yet when rovers go down to ten they get turned over easy"... REALLY.! In the persons defence i think they're referring to the ten man syndrome effect, which is valid for sure, but was something we showed for 60+ minutes before the inevitable happened. In reality, the syndrome referred to, usually occurs when a team is reduced to ten men at some stage past the half hour mark of a game, whilst they still have something to hold on to in respect of scoreline...

Or another thread, something about the match against Derby being moved to a Wednesday is "another example of Rovers rolling over"! What the deuce! How long has that person's head been stuck in a cupboard with a tin of peaches that should have been donated to a Harvest Festival back in 1982...

Henley sent off after 9 minutes,well that's obviously the managers fault isn't it. GET RID! BOWYER OUT! BOOO! Just behave will you! Stop trying to turn every kick/miskick to serve some pathetic agenda of "why aren't we winning every game of footer we play", Iet's blame someone...

Here's a thought, why not realise we are trying to re-build after several years of mis-management. Yes, there are parasites still within the club granted, but Gary Bowyer and the players are not in this category and a mass agenda of idiots will not sway my mind on this. I will remain a supporter of each and everyone of them whilst they show they are willing to play and fight to better themselves and the club. I believe they are trying to do this as a TEAM and we the supporters SHOULD be as much a part of this TEAM as them, whilst they are still trying...

I read comments about "why aren't we bringing youth players through". The majority of the players at the moment are youth players, some have been here years, Henley, Lowe, Hanley and how are they received by a lot of people these days? Comparitive example for you, Stevie G, life long pool player, still a legend with the pool fans, despite losing them the oh so elusive title for them with one slip. Do you really think he didn't have any shocking games for them aged 19, 20, 21, 22 etc. Course he did! Is he a legend for staying with the club all this time whilst learning his trade? Yes he is and rightly so...

I could go on and on, i could quote 101 comments on here since the game and the absurbity with each and everyone, but it's be like bashing my head against a wall, so i'm going to try and ignore (although it's being made pretty difficult recently) and enjoy the football that the team are trying to play at the moment. i'm going to enjoy the effort they are obviously making ,to try and elevate us to the top 6. It may not come instantly, but if they keep doing it i believe it will come together...

A little caveat for you though, if y'all doom mongers keep berating and sniping away at them constantly, progress will be lost and you will have fulfilled your desired prophecy of failure for the club/Bowyer/the players. United we stand, divided, we will fall...

So much tosh, so little time to respond.

We had the glory years because of one man who was astronomically rich, not because of an energised, sky's the limit fanbase. The fans, before he got spending, had no thought whatsoever of ever having any glory years again. Scraping up via the playoffs and coming straight down would've been greeted like the Second Coming. Still, you had to be there I suppose to know that.

I'd like to know how you know from Hampshire that all fans are fed up and none of them enjoy wins. Unlike you, I made it to a game this season and found the atmosphere upbeat with a 2-0 win being greeted very positively, the team being clapped off.

Just because I live down south doesn't mean I can't make rational judgements about the state of the club. In fact, I'm probably in a better position to do so because I'm not as emotionally involved as the happy-clappers.

If you and Parson want to go back to the dark ages, be my guest, but don't try to drag the rest of us down to your level.

Just because I live down south doesn't mean I can't make rational judgements about the state of the club. In fact, I'm probably in a better position to do so because I'm not as emotionally involved as the happy-clappers.

If you and Parson want to go back to the dark ages, be my guest, but don't try to drag the rest of us down to your level.

Top man- you will NEVER be in a "better" position to discuss the goings on at the club than people who make the effort to go. The fact you are "less emotionally involved" says it all.

An armchair fan with 90s expectations, a serious case of the "I love to WUM" and a problem with anyone who may not quite go along with the moaning... If we had more fans and posters "on your level" we would be below 5k supporters and this website would be dust.

Don't kid yourself that your views are "reality" because it's an opinion just like those you belittle. The only difference is, who do you listen to? The man with his eyes and heart in the ground, or the man miles away with his head up his arse?

Archived