BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

[Archived] Charlton V Blackburn R

Guest Vinjay

The Manchester City FA Cup match in 1969 ?

Frightening to see the crowd swaying back and forth on the Riverside and at the Blackburn End. The barriers must have been under tremendous strain (not to mention spectators' bodies).

For 56,000 to be in Ewood they must have been sitting on the roof of the stands.

• Replies 218
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Frightening to see the crowd swaying back and forth on the Riverside and at the Blackburn End. The barriers must have been under tremendous strain (not to mention spectators' bodies).

For 56,000 to be in Ewood they must have been sitting on the roof of the stands.

364525[/snapback]

That's the one.

At the time, I always thought Ewood was a big ground. I suppose it was - compared to a lot of others.The truth is that today's Ewood is twice the size, so trying to imagine 56000 or even the record 62000 crammed into such a small place is mind boggling.

364525[/snapback]

I hate to be a killjoy but I think your mistaken with the 56,000 for the City game.If its the one that was postponed around 6 times then was'nt the attendance 38,000 ? they beat us 4-1, Jim Fryatt scoring for the Rovers.

The official crowd for that Burnley relay according to East lancs derbies by Dean Hayes was a coupla hundred short of a massive 54,000.

Anway, back to the charlton game. Went with a non Rovers supporting mate and he was very impressed by our comeback, thought it was something quite amazing as did i. Thought that the support was pretty good also, cosidering it was south-east London on a wed night in the carling cup (c 1000 there). Superb goal from thommo, but i dont know whether he'd be better suited to central midfield or right midfield.

Finally, it was good to hear all the Rovers fans with London accents, must have been about 1/2 the allocation from the voices i heard. Good to see Blackburners who have moved down to London it times of unemployment in the past getting their sons/daughters and grandsons/granddaughters to support the Rovers. It means we will always have a decent support at London away games!

the 1960 replay was an amazing experience with 53, 000+ in the ground. I recall that Burnley fans had the Darwen end. We were sat pitchside on the wooden benches round the edge of the pitch and I remember children being passed down from the back of the terraces over peoples heads!

As for another comeback from 2 down; we were losing 2-0 at halftime (I think it was Portsmouth)and ended up winning 4-2 with Garner scoring so I guess in the 80`s? Can anyone confirm?

I was too young to be at the 1960 games but I can certainly confirm the game at Pompey. In fact we had been one down at Ewood (neil Webb scoring) and came back to win 2-1.

Then at Pompey in one of my all time favourite games, we went 2-0 down (Neil Webb scored both of them) and stormed back to win 4-2 with a Garner hattrick- the last scored when he was flat on his back and still managed to hook the ball in. Garner's second included a mesmerising piece of wing work by Brotherston who I am sure beat his full back three times before crossing to Garner who had made space for himself on the edge of the area and volleyed it home.

Delirium on the open end!

on the comeback theme, the one i remember with the most affection was Derby in the playoffs, 2 -0 down at halftime then Sir david Speedie notching twice to win 4-2. The Blackburn end went absolutely mental.

biggrin.gif

Sat in a pub in Prague. Preston Blue texted 1-0 sad.gif , then 2-0 sad.gifsad.gif At which the good lady told me to switch off the phone. Wandering across the Charles Bridge we switched it on again to get a flood of texts from preston blue and the kids at home......... biggrin.gif Fantastic end to my night out

Can't imagine what Ewood was like with 56000 in. 40000 is the most I've experienced and you couldn't move at that.

364516[/snapback]

The crush just to get into the back of the riverside was frightening enough. My dad had to fight to keep me from going under. I hardly saw any of the game except when the ball was in the air, but what a night!

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.