BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

[Archived] Top 7 Of All Time Cup Worst Defeats

After todays debacle, I wondered where the defeat fared in the all-time worst cup defeats;

19th March 1962 Away to Rochale. League Cup Semi-Final. Lost 3-1

15th February 1964 Away to Oxford United. F A Cup 5th Round. Lost 3-1

22nd October 1964 Home to Workington.League cup 3rd replay. Lost 5-1

24th September 1985. Away to Wimbledon.League Cup 2nd Round, 1st Leg. Lost 5-0

18th February 1989. Home to Brentford. F A Cup 5th Round. Lost 2-0

13th September 1994. Home to Trelleborgs. UEFA Cup 1st Round 1st Leg. Lost 1-0

5th January 2008. Home to Coventry City. F A Cup 3rd Round. Lost 4-1

I think the 1-0 home defeat to Stockport County takes some beating. I remember standing in the FS hurling abuse at the manager - Harford or Hodgson? Surprised I wasn't thrown out.

18th February 1989. Home to Brentford. F A Cup 5th Round. Lost 2-0

That was an awful day. our best run in the cup for a long while and the quarter finals were there waiting for us,

If I recall correctly Brentford however than met Liverpool at Anfield so we wouldn't have gone too much further anyway.

I was going to school in Rochdale in 1962, we'd moved from Blackburn a few years earlier. You can imagine the stick I got at school, the worst thing was it was a terrible performance and we were hanging on at 0-2 down , got a breakaway to make it 1-2 right at the death and then promptly let them get the third !

"Wait till we get you back to Ewood" I told my mates, well we won 2-1 on a shocking mudbath of a pitch but it wasn't enough. The 'dale played mighty Norwich in the final rounds, losing 3-0 at home and , I think, 1-0 away. Another Cup that we just threw away.

I think the 1-0 home defeat to Stockport County takes some beating. I remember standing in the FS hurling abuse at the manager - Harford or Hodgson? Surprised I wasn't thrown out.

If I don't remember wrongly, that was the final nail in the coffin for Harford as Rovers manager.

If I don't remember wrongly, that was the final nail in the coffin for Harford as Rovers manager.

You are quite correct. We lost 1-0 to Stockport County at home in the 3rd round of the League Cup on 22nd October 1996. Ray Harford resigned the next day and Tony Parkes took over as caretaker manager.At the time we were bottom of the Premier League, not having won a game out of the first ten.

You are quite correct. We lost 1-0 to Stockport County at home in the 3rd round of the League Cup on 22nd October 1996. Ray Harford resigned the next day and Tony Parkes took over as caretaker manager.At the time we were bottom of the Premier League, not having won a game out of the first ten.

then we stuffed liverpool the following weekend, correct?

No competition here.

22nd October 1964 Home to Workington.League cup 3rd replay. Lost 5-1.

For anyone who was around at that time, - that was a wonderful rovers team. Workington were the pits, Kit Napier and all.

The ones i have witnessed have pretty much been covered here.

Although one that comes to mind, losing to Charlton 1-0 at Ewood in a FA Cup replay in 1994? Not as bad as some that have been mentioned though.

Not the worst but losing to Sunderland in the season they went down with a ludicrously low points total (may've been a record low). I can't remember which cup but I believe it went to a replay and I have vague memories that Jon Douglas played right back and was torn to shreds by Julio Arca. Someone fill in the gaps please!

Not the worst but losing to Sunderland in the season they went down with a ludicrously low points total (may've been a record low). I can't remember which cup but I believe it went to a replay and I have vague memories that Jon Douglas played right back and was torn to shreds by Julio Arca. Someone fill in the gaps please!

As I remember, drew at Ewood (0-0 I think), replay at the SoL. A rather chilly evening (par for a Sunderland game I suppose?), 2-2 aet with Flitty scoring right at the death (of normal time I think). Woeful with the pens - think we missed all three - I remember Cole missing - while Sund scored all theirs. Wasn't THAT bad, at least it went to pens and the game was fairly even, unlike Sat.

Trelleborg was the worst for me.

I was working as a field service engineer at the time. I live near Oxford but was given a job in Oldham that day. I arranged to see the game and stay at my uncles`s in Darwen that night knowing I had to be in Weymouth the following morning for another job.

I remember phoning everyone and anyone telling them I was about to attend Rover`s 1st ever European game. None of them cared but I was proud to be there.

Oh God. The rest is history. That was a long drive to the south and I`m not sure if my enthusiasm ever fully recovered that day.

I was going to school in Rochdale in 1962, we'd moved from Blackburn a few years earlier. You can imagine the stick I got at school, the worst thing was it was a terrible performance and we were hanging on at 0-2 down , got a breakaway to make it 1-2 right at the death and then promptly let them get the third !

"Wait till we get you back to Ewood" I told my mates, well we won 2-1 on a shocking mudbath of a pitch but it wasn't enough. The 'dale played mighty Norwich in the final rounds, losing 3-0 at home and , I think, 1-0 away. Another Cup that we just threw away.

Don't remember that one but the shock around the town after the Cup defeat by lowly Oxford United two years later sticks in the memory.

Don't remember that one but the shock around the town after the Cup defeat by lowly Oxford United two years later sticks in the memory.

I was only 6 at the time and even I can remember that one. It was certainly the only thing talked about in Darwen for about a week afterwards.

As I remember, drew at Ewood (0-0 I think), replay at the SoL. A rather chilly evening (par for a Sunderland game I suppose?), 2-2 aet with Flitty scoring right at the death (of normal time I think). Woeful with the pens - think we missed all three - I remember Cole missing - while Sund scored all theirs. Wasn't THAT bad, at least it went to pens and the game was fairly even, unlike Sat.

If I remember rightly we drew 3-3! I think we where 3-1 down with 10 mins to go and either Yorke or Cole get the equaliser in injury time.

Archived