BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

[Archived] Boro Match Thread

den

Rovers were pretty impressive last night . The performance was built on 2 centre halves who dominated and bullied their frontline. Grant Hanley is developing into a real leader of men , an example to his teammates. He had the one slip which let in Jordon Rhodes , but other than that he was outstanding. I've always believed that a good team has a good spine .We won the premiership with Shearer , Sherwood , Hendry and Flowers as the spine of that team. Last night Graham led the line and put away his only chance , Lenihan should develop into a proper footballer , the centre halves as above and Steele made the saves when necessary .

Lambert is beginning to build a solid team and with the exception of the Hull game, the last 5 or 6 games have shown Rovers to be an indistinguishable team from the rag bag mediocre outfits that Gary Bowyer used to select. Small steps so far but we're making progress.

Credit also goes to the Rovers fans and Jordon Rhodes. I'm not a big fan of bulling up professional footballers , they are transitory and show little loyalty, if any at all. However the treatment of Rhodes last night was first class and his response was a credit to him. He clapped the 3 sides of the ground the Rovers fans were in and they responded in kind. After missing 3 chances , which ultimately cost his team a point or even all three , he could have skulked off without any acknowledgement of the home crowd.

A thoroughly decent bloke

• Replies 491
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Whilst I understand some of the criticism of Akpan I think people need to be a little more realistic of what they expect of him. The lad isn't great technically but I think playing with better technically gifted players like Gomez and Grimes we might start to see better from him. Decent goal return from him so far this season, could still get more and I thought his header was really well taken tonight. Let our young ones get amongst the old men in midfield at the weekend and we might get a decent result, just imagine what a win would do for the confidence of this team for next season if we manage to beat Burnley and Boro in the space of a week.

I like that he's a threat from set pieces and he isn't afraid to get forward. But he is developing a knack of being in and around goals we're conceding. He knows he's short on pace and as such he needs to get wise. Last night he should have cleaned out forshaw long before he reached our 18 yard box. Cynical yes, but it's what any midfielder with a brain would do. Imo of course.

There's a bit of quality in our side as well, for the first time in ages. Marshall, Watt, Gomez, Grimes and Graham do have creative ability. Unfortunately only one of them is our player. :)

Lenihan sounded commanding, tenacious, and not bad on the ball, either. Everything that Jason Lowe should be in that position.

We have real player in Lenihan, he will get better too. The lad gives it simple when needed but he always gets his head up to look and thread a forward pass, if there's one on. A proper midfielder.

Marshall, Spurr, Hanley, Duffy have all experienced dingle derbies so I really don't think there will be any problem impressing the importance of the game on loanees. Lambert was a Celtic hero so has more experience than most when it comes to tribalism and heated derbies. He will get them up for it I have absolutely no doubt. Hopefully it will be a game similar to the game in 2000/2001 (obviously without Branch trying to break Dunns neck), it was a proper derby, tackles everywhere and a cauldron atmosphere, plus we got a fantastic win.

It was Kevin Ball who up ended Dunny. Crazy tackle- he handed us the game in that moment.

Is that permission to break radio silence?

I think you have interpreted some aggressiveness in my original post that seems to have upset you. There was none whatsoever, please be assured of that. The basic written word doesn't always convey tone - it was akin to a toast e.g. "Drink up lad, lets just enjoy tonight, we'll worry about the Dingles later". No more, no less and if your post was indeed replying to someone else without including their quote its not surprising that I didn't pick up on that - it stood in isolation in the middle of a bunch of euphoric posts talking about a great and all-to-rare Ewood victory. Admittedly your initial reply did nark me a bit because it was OTT as well as misplaced. Followed up by your 'A Team' remark. As I said last night, you were a bit touchy in my opinion, but you obviuously read something into my post that wasn't there.

Probably best to leave it at that eh?

Long time since I've experienced a night like that at Ewood.

Great atmosphere, players giving it everything, manager on the touchline kicking every ball, a star in the making in Lenihan, complete centre forward performance by Graham.

Heady stuff. We just have to hope that Lambert is allowed some funds in the summer, as for me we finally have a manager after 5 long years.

They are professionals so they should be up for any game just like they were last night. Certainly the Brockhall Babysitting Service has been closed for business.

I doubt the possibility of moving into 12th place (unless there's a game on Friday) is going to keep them awake at night though. Unless anyone thinks a miraculous playoff charge is on the cards.

Perhaps not, but the comprehensive dismantling of one of their peers and main rivals for promotion, as well as the words of Karanka, will be giving them something to think about.

That may work against us in a strange sort of way, but I'd rather be going into the game showing some sort of form, than not.

Perhaps not, but the comprehensive dismantling of one of their peers and main rivals for promotion, as well as the words of Karanka, will be giving them something to think about.

That may work against us in a strange sort of way, but I'd rather be going into the game showing some sort of form, than not.

Dyche was at Ewood last night, I passed him on my way in.

A big ugly unit in the flesh, he's definitely managing the right team.

I like that he's a threat from set pieces and he isn't afraid to get forward. But he is developing a knack of being in and around goals we're conceding. He knows he's short on pace and as such he needs to get wise. Last night he should have cleaned out forshaw long before he reached our 18 yard box. Cynical yes, but it's what any midfielder with a brain would do. Imo of course.

I agree there. The only reason for a player not clattering him is if you're on a booking. When I playing nobody was supposed to get a free shot from in and around the " D ".

You may not grasp it but they will understand the importance of a derby day for fans and the increased pressure on the game.

Thankfully Graham and Gomez have both played and I think scored in the Tyne / Wear Derby so they have experience of derby day.

Whatever you think this is no ordinary game with a chance to go 12th, for most fans this is now the biggest game of the rest of the season.

What are we in the 1950's? Come up with something modern and contemporary. No got to admit I don't really "grasp it" would have thought you might want your son to have something more exciting to look forward to but to each his own.

Don't think I'm being too dramatic in saying that was probably the best performance of the season. Superb every last one of them! Only downside is it helps Burnley!!

Got to repay the compliment on Saturday.

• Backroom

What are we in the 1950's? Come up with something modern and contemporary. No got to admit I don't really "grasp it" would have thought you might want your son to have something more exciting to look forward to but to each his own.

I don't even know what this post means!

I'll politely ask you now not to spam the threads with how it's just another game etc, the amount of emotion involved in this game for a lot of Rovers fans is unmatched and doesn't need reason or justification.

Sure - but other teams are capable of keeping a clean sheet and winning 1-0. For us to win, we always have to score 2 goals.

I'd be more interested in a stat about how many clean sheets teams have kept - don't think we'd be in the top 5 (certainly not recently).

Not worried about clean sheets as long as we score more than the opposition.

I think you have interpreted some aggressiveness in my original post that seems to have upset you. There was none whatsoever, please be assured of that. The basic written word doesn't always convey tone - it was akin to a toast e.g. "Drink up lad, lets just enjoy tonight, we'll worry about the Dingles later". No more, no less and if your post was indeed replying to someone else without including their quote its not surprising that I didn't pick up on that - it stood in isolation in the middle of a bunch of euphoric posts talking about a great and all-to-rare Ewood victory. Admittedly your initial reply did nark me a bit because it was OTT as well as misplaced. Followed up by your 'A Team' remark. As I said last night, you were a bit touchy in my opinion, but you obviuously read something into my post that wasn't there.

Probably best to leave it at that eh?

I should have quoted but it was just after the game and it was late so mistakes will be made. About 500 people seem to have posted in the interim which took what I said out of context that's granted. But I just think people should chill out over what was, a basic reply and opinion relating to our our upcoming game, when we've just had a really good win. I wasn't on the wind up, or trying to wreck a thread, threatening anyone or any of the other myriad of offences that are done daily on here that do warrant a stronger response. I suppose at the time it got my goat more than anything because for me that's what spoils this site and puts people off posting on it. It happens all the time, not you personally, it just seems to be a way of life at times on here. The faux offence that people take at others just to stir some sh** and waste some time (again not saying you were doing that, it just appeared that way). If you hadn't started your response with "FFS" which suggested some aggression I'd have not bothered but it did seem a bit off after a good result when everyone was running around with their pants down celebrating (okay maybe that was just me).

My first comment on here at FT after all was "whoooohoooohooohoooohoohoohooohooohooo" or words to that effect. I suspect that was missed which made me look like a negative nancy but I don't think I can be any more euphoric than that in text form.

Marvellous. Best night for a while after the dross we have had for some time now. Well done lads.

There have been times the last few seasons when there has been no rhyme or reason.

Not tonight, especially in the first half. So many positives but mainly a good shape, a fluidity not seen for a long time and players who can keep the ball under pressure. Great stuff. Hanley and Duffy commanding but strange that Boro played into their hands with long ball stuff that they lapped up. Lenihan screened the back 4 really well, looked sharp, hungry and smart. It’s great to see that we can do some tippy/tappy –Marshall, Gomez, Grimes, Watt, Graham can all look after the ball well and give us some long needed 2 touch stuff instead of hoofball. But Graham (and Watt) also worked the channels intelligently too providing another option. Graham impressed and put in a magnificent shift. Grimes was great for half an hour, unflustered in receiving in tight situations just like Gomez and keeping head up to keep it simple. We also now deliver more crosses than for a long time –strange that when we used to play Conway and Marshall as wingers we could go a whole game with less than half a dozen crosses in a game. Not now.

Only one negative –churlish maybe on such a good night but it could have cost us. Lambert was too slow to change it and in that 10-15 minute spell in the second half they could have broken us. Gomez, Grimes, Watt clearly tiring and we were getting overrun in midfield. But he got it right in the end with the changes and bringing Akpan inside with Lenahan. And that is an issue going forward too. In that shape, I think we could get overrun/outmuscled in midfield. A quick opposition can get through that somewhat lightweight (although skilful) midfield and be running at or back 4 with only Lenihan to attempt to put out fires. Obviously it depends on the state of the game and who we are playing but I still think that we’d be better off with 2 screening -Lenihan + Akpan or Evans.

Anyway, cracking stuff. That’s more like it.

Give it up City boy, this is the oldest and most passionate deby in the world, being a johny come lately manc you will never understand it.

Crawl back under your Eastlands stone.

GIVE IT A BLOODY REST!

20TH MARCH IS YOUR BIG DAY

Give it up City boy, this is the oldest and most passionate deby in the world, being a johny come lately manc you will never understand it.

Crawl back under your Eastlands stone.

Its ok I'm sure wonderful fans like this will be there since he didn't get banned and it was conveniently ignored on here. Clearly not being captivated by the most unmarketable name in the whole Football League is worse than this.

http://www.lancashiretelegraph.co.uk/news/11121961.East_Lancs_teen_sparks_fury_after_vile_twitter_message_to_Burnley_player/

Anyway I will take Tom's suggestion on board...I didn't even say anything wrong anyway just stated the players were professional. Plus I was commenting on how the players might feel. After all some of them may well have played in more prestigious places such as Wembley for instance.

Not everyone was effective, but from each and every player the effort and desire was superb. Special mention to the two young lads, Matt Grimes and Darragh Lenihan. Grimes once again showing excellent technique on the ball and unreal composure, seemed to tire towards the end but if he keeps this up I wouldn't mind taking him on next season (Even if it's only another loan). Lenihan prospered in the anchor role once again, seemed to be first to every ball, dominant in the air, distribution much improved from previous games, didn't give as many fouls away either. Don't want to speak too soon but Lenihan has the qualities of a great leader, I certainly hope he can keep this up.

Graham had his best game in a long time and though it was just a glimmer, Tony Watt had his best game so far; never afraid to try something a little different, always willing to take players on and I think the fans really appreciate that.

Fans were great, bring on the scum.

Only one negative –churlish maybe on such a good night but it could have cost us. Lambert was too slow to change it and in that 10-15 minute spell in the second half they could have broken us. Gomez, Grimes, Watt clearly tiring and we were getting overrun in midfield. But he got it right in the end with the changes and bringing Akpan inside with Lenahan. And that is an issue going forward too. In that shape, I think we could get overrun/outmuscled in midfield. A quick opposition can get through that somewhat lightweight (although skilful) midfield and be running at or back 4 with only Lenihan to attempt to put out fires. Obviously it depends on the state of the game and who we are playing but I still think that we’d be better off with 2 screening -Lenihan + Akpan or Evans.

I noticed that too. I accept that after going 1 - 0 down , a top of the table side were bound to come hard at us , but our tiring midfield was dominated and overrun for a period. Like you said though, Lambert did change it. I've got to say that the players who were subbed looked exhausted, especially Watt and Grimes. Hopefully that's down to the work they put in rather than general fitness

Archived