BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

[Archived] Dyche

1 minute ago, Mercer said:

A manager who has won 12 major trophies including 3 consecutive Serie A titles and an English Premier League and FA Cup - some "loose cannon".

There will be football fans up and down the country mightily relieved that Chaddy is not sat in their club's boardroom!

Was certainly potted from City because he'd lost the plot, went rogue,  mates a season ticket holder, loves Mancini the man, but says he lost the plot big time towards the end and is probably the reason he's now working in some mickey mouse league in Russia.

Didn't we almost sign him once back in the day? 

• Replies 140
  • Created
  • Last Reply
1 hour ago, Gav said:

Was certainly potted from City because he'd lost the plot, went rogue,  mates a season ticket holder, loves Mancini the man, but says he lost the plot big time towards the end and is probably the reason he's now working in some mickey mouse league in Russia.

I think Mancini has been 'close' to joining Rovers on two occasions.

Firstly, when Sven almost joined Rovers it is understood Mancini was going to come as player/coach and secondly when Ince got fired; if you recall JW was supposedly torn between Ince and Laudrop and went for Ince and when Ince was fired within months, Big Sam was appointed but I understand Mancini was next in line.

1 hour ago, Gav said:

Top class player in his day.

3 hours ago, Mercer said:

A manager who has won 12 major trophies including 3 consecutive Serie A titles and an English Premier League and FA Cup - some "loose cannon".

There will be football fans up and down the country mightily relieved that Chaddy is not sat in their club's boardroom!

3 Serie A title without Juventus. Back then very easy league to win. 

Mancini lost the plot at City and why he was sacked. 

Hasnt Ancelotti and Mancini both said they arent interested in West Ham and Everton jobs. 

https://talksport.com/football/gianluca-vialli-rules-out-premier-league-return-carlo-ancelotti-and-roberto-mancini

1 hour ago, Mercer said:

Firstly, when Sven almost joined Rovers it is understood Mancini was going to come as player/coach and secondly when Ince got fired; if you recall JW was supposedly torn between Ince and Laudrop and went for Ince and when Ince was fired within months, Big Sam was appointed but I understand Mancini was next in line.

When Ince was fired wasnt the between Big Sam and Souness?

1 hour ago, Mercer said:

Almost makes me as sick as hearing that Lewandowski story that.

Could have got Laudrop or Mancini and ended up with Ince and Big Sam. @#/? sake.

32 minutes ago, chaddyrovers said:

3 Serie A title without Juventus. Back then very easy league to win. 

Mancini lost the plot at City and why he was sacked. 

Hasnt Ancelotti and Mancini both said they arent interested in West Ham and Everton jobs. 

https://talksport.com/football/gianluca-vialli-rules-out-premier-league-return-carlo-ancelotti-and-roberto-mancini

When Ince was fired wasnt the between Big Sam and Souness?

It was between Hughes and Big Sam.

5 minutes ago, Tyrone Shoelaces said:

Big Sam kept us up when I suspect neither Laudrup or Mancini would have done.

Spot on.

It was JW's appointment of Ince over Laudrop that was the disaster.  Think only Big Sam could have got us out of the hole Ince left us in - we were sinking fast.

Williams dropped a real clanger with Ince. I'd love to know why he thought ince would be a success when, unlike Hughes, it was obvious that Ince never had the intellectual capacity to be a good manager. It's remarkable that there were some on the Ewood board even at that stage who were against the appointment of Allardyce. Luckily for us they were over-ruled. Neither Mancini and nor Laudrup would never have worked at Ewood in my opinion. 

Williams was following the mentality of 'we're a farm for young up and coming managers to come and develop before moving on to bigger and better things'. We did it with Kidd, again with Hughes and then again with Ince. For some reason it was seen as more sensible to try and replicate the Hughes success rather than just go out and appoint an exciting/proven manager of which there were an abundance.

A lack of ambition really for a club that had achieved what we had under Hughes. Not helped of course by a sell to buy policy and disinterested owners except when there was a player or two to sell for humongous profits (Bentley, Santa Cruz). 

There was a lot of negative press about the Allardyce appointment when Hughes left which probably swayed him towards Ince but beyond that there were numerous options clearly more suitable than promoting someone straight from the 4th tier to the 1st. 

Has that ever happened before/since in the Premier League? For a club to go out and appoint a manager from the 4th division? Barmy really.

On 23/10/2017 at 20:28, AJW said:

To be honest he would be mad not to pick Everton over Leicester and Burnley should the opportunity arise , Everton have some wonderful players and an owner who isn't shy in getting the chequebook out . Leaving our obvious feeling aside for Burnley , what Dyche has achieved there has been remarkable , he really has polished a turd . I was convinced that this year they would really struggle having lost Gray Keane and the Heaton to injury but there they are sat in the top 10 , the top 5-6 clubs are out of bounds to British managers these days so Everton is about the best club Dyche could get

I can see your logic but the home of " The school of science " may see our Sean as a little too primative for their liking.... polish a turd, indeed !!

6 hours ago, roverandout said:

Nearly as bad as the zidane/dugarry story. Hendry confirmed they were actually at the training ground when jack pulled the plug on the deals

Mm, when you win competitions is the time to strengthen the squad. Everybody wants to sign for you. We didn't and we stood still when nearly every other team moved forward. You should always replace your two weakest players each season. 

I wasn't  massively impressed with Dugarry but Zidane was something else.

12 hours ago, Tyrone Shoelaces said:

Big Sam kept us up when I suspect neither Laudrup or Mancini would have done.

Probably a fair assessment on Laudrup but I think he did a fairly reasonable job at Swansea with what he had at his disposal.

I think Mancini would have brought with him an excitement and I definitely think he'd have kept us up and achieved far greater than what we did at that time. I also think he would have the "attraction value" and we might have attracted better players and, ultimately, a better replacement.

Then again this is ignoring what followed on from Big Sam. In an ideal, con man free world that I sometimes dream we were back in. Oh for the days when we could aspire.

Also this is no slight on Big Sam. He did a commendable job here and I am happy he was our manager for a time. 

40 minutes ago, Tyrone Shoelaces said:

That's why I'd be surprised if he leaves the Dingles. He's seen as a poor man's Sam Allardyce in the top echelons.

I too would be surprised. He has pretty much a free reign over there with the supporter expectation being survival each year. He has overseen two promotions and the building of a new training centre ad built a solid infrastructure to last for years. Personally I think he would be crazy to leave but you just never know.

Look at it from the POV of Leicester/Everton. Neither are short of a few quid. Both can have their pick of quality proven managers. Leicester have been linked with Mancini/Pellegrini so that is the department they are shopping in.

Regardless of how well Dyche has done, he just isn't an attractive appointment for these clubs. He isn't even on the same level as Eddie Howe who at least has a reputation for delivering decent easy on the eye football. Dyche has a way of working and it has worked very well at Burnley.

Leicester are now being heavily linked with Claude Puel formerly of Southampton. On the surface quite an odd appointment, but look beyond his season at Southampton and actually it arguably makes as much if not more sense than Dyche. Puel is more used to a European style coaching structure with a D of F and working with existing staff, whereas Dyche is used to running the show on his own and working with his own staff. Puel has contacts across Europe, particularly in France where he has managed for a long time successfully and will be able to tap into that knowledge and those contacts. What contacts does Dyche have? The furthest he goes for signings is Leeds and Hull. Whilst results have been good, nobody is telling me he has delivered good value on his transfer business when you look at some of the staggering fees he's shelled out on players in the last couple of windows. Granted Burnley have recouped a lot through sales and have survived so it makes it worthwhile, but man for man I don't think Dyche has spent too wisely.

People like Puel, Mancini etc. have managed in multiple countries at clubs with high expectations and won trophies. Dyche has managed at one club with low expectations where he has had free reign which a lot of clubs aren't willing to allow any more.

Shame yes, because the sooner he is out of Burnley the better, but in this day and age of head coaches and foreigners not many top clubs are going to throw their lot in with the Burnley manager who does things the old fashioned way. It just isn't attractive any more.

The best chance we had of him going was when they got relegated and the likes of Derby were looking for new managers.

Just now, JHRover said:

Look at it from the POV of Leicester/Everton. Neither are short of a few quid. Both can have their pick of quality proven managers. Leicester have been linked with Mancini/Pellegrini so that is the department they are shopping in.

Regardless of how well Dyche has done, he just isn't an attractive appointment for these clubs. He isn't even on the same level as Eddie Howe who at least has a reputation for delivering decent easy on the eye football. Dyche has a way of working and it has worked very well at Burnley.

Leicester are now being heavily linked with Claude Puel formerly of Southampton. On the surface quite an odd appointment, but look beyond his season at Southampton and actually it arguably makes as much if not more sense than Dyche. Puel is more used to a European style coaching structure with a D of F and working with existing staff, whereas Dyche is used to running the show on his own and working with his own staff. Puel has contacts across Europe, particularly in France where he has managed for a long time successfully and will be able to tap into that knowledge and those contacts. What contacts does Dyche have? The furthest he goes for signings is Leeds and Hull. Whilst results have been good, nobody is telling me he has delivered good value on his transfer business when you look at some of the staggering fees he's shelled out on players in the last couple of windows. Granted Burnley have recouped a lot through sales and have survived so it makes it worthwhile, but man for man I don't think Dyche has spent too wisely.

People like Puel, Mancini etc. have managed in multiple countries at clubs with high expectations and won trophies. Dyche has managed at one club with low expectations where he has had free reign which a lot of clubs aren't willing to allow any more.

Shame yes, because the sooner he is out of Burnley the better, but in this day and age of head coaches and foreigners not many top clubs are going to throw their lot in with the Burnley manager who does things the old fashioned way. It just isn't attractive any more.

The best chance we had of him going was when they got relegated and the likes of Derby were looking for new managers.

Or when he was going to Sunderland until Advocaat had a change of heart.

There is no doubting Sean Dyche is a good manager. He knows how to set a team up and has proven himself tactically astute. He saw the issues Burnley had away from home last season and went out to fix them this year. He has the hallmarks of a good, Premier League manager. Just like Tony Pulis.

It's no "lazy comparison" either. They are both straight to the point, no nonsense "I'm here not to lose" managers. They know their place in the game and are content with upsetting the status quo every now and again. Could I see Dyche ever managing a club with Champions League aspirations? Definitely not. Quite simply with all the money involved in football it is as much about winning with style as it is with winning. Quite simply, and there is no bias to this, Burnley very rarely win "with style". They win when, statistically, they shouldn't have. This is especially true last season.

This year is a little different. They've played a bit more expansive, brought in players with flair and they have guys like Defour to add that creativity. I hate giving them praise but you would have to be a fool to say they aren't one of the Premier League's surprise packages. Sean Dyche and Burnley seem like a perfect fit because neither expect more than what they get - if Burnley go down this year no body bats an eyelid. Dyche has done a commendable job, they are back as big fish in the Championship and the bank balance is in the black.

With this in mind Leicester would be a good fit for him. All raised expectations aside they are relegation fodder. This is the type of job guys like Dyche will revel in. On the other hand Everton are now here to challenge the big 6, not simply stop them from winning. 2 banks of 4 and a target man up top won't suffice for a club that has spent £150+ million. I like Dyche as a manager, I really do, but I fear there is a glass ceiling in this game for a manager of his ilk. He will join the boys' club of Pulis, Warnock, Big Sam et al. British, good managers, 'street wise' but wholly unattractive to the global elitists that we should be aiming to impress with tika-taka, 3 at the back, sweeper keeper, false 9 etc etc style football.

Just now, Waggy76 said:

Money talks in football , his stock is high ....It is not impossible for Burnley to go down this season with Dyche.....

If he gets offered Leicester , West Ham or more unlikely Everton he will be gone !

Agreed, but unfortunately I don't think he'll have any offers to consider!

Question is why would Leicester, Everton or West Ham want Dyche? He's done very well at Burnley but there are lots of other managers who have done good jobs at multiple clubs playing better football who would be bigger coups than Dyche.

Mancini, Pellegrini, Silva, Tuchel, Ancelotti, Nagelsmann, Sarri - these sort have been across Europe at massive clubs and have impressive CVs.

Clubs look at the likes of Pochettino at Spurs/Soton, Koeman at Soton, Silva at Hull/Watford, Wagner at Huddersfield, Benitez at Newcastle - they want to replicate that - appointing a defensive ex CB old school no-nonsense manager who has spent 5 years at Burnley and played for Watford and Chesterfield isn't exactly sending the same message out to their fans and rivals.

Archived