BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

Loan Window

7 minutes ago, FGS5635 said:

We talk about this signing more than any other. We know nothing about him really, nothing about most of our signings these days

Why is it this one gets everyone excited when we know nothing about him really.

Its becasue of the fee and he is a striker. It naturally excites people

If he was 300k nobody would mention his stats. Nobody would mention shearer in the same post.

This is what happens when you spend big money. This is why there is different pressure to perform if he signs

Understand completely. But I think there needs to be a little leeway due to his age.

If you buy a fantastic plot of land to build your house on you don’t get pissed off if it’s not doubled in value overnight.

If he was 30 for this money then yeah I’d be expecting some immediate goal return,, but it looks like he can hack this league already and would improve our front line anyway - over time I think this is a less risky, more shrewd and strategic way of spending whatever money we’ve been “graciously” refunded from the V.

Looks like the guys that watch him week in week out thinks we’re having their pants down for this fee so that’ll do for me.

And can you tell I get excited about strikers!?

11 minutes ago, Oldgregg86 said:

Wouldn't Shearer's goals be a division higher just to be pedantic ☺️

Spoilsport!

Anyway, I’ve said me bit for now on Brereton and if you hear nothing more of it I’ll see you in the “mistakes” thread in two or three years.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, S8 & Blue said:

Are we watching the same clips??!!

Lad is 18 in most of the footage and has absolutely everything in his locker!?

Really?

There is nothing in those clips that make me think the kid has 'absolutely everything'.  He doesn't seem to have  blistering  pace, Dack like technique/skill, defenders bouncing off him,   not much evidence playing  with back to goal or winning headers, nor clinical finishing. 

Vilanueva  had a better show reel?

Granted that is s limited view of the lad though - and having read a lot of Forest fan's opinions,  as I stated, they clearly rate him.  Always better to see what they are like in the flesh.

I take it you've seen him live a few times? What are his strengths?

Edit: just read your post further down, think that covered it ?.

Edited by Wing Wizard Windy Miller

37 minutes ago, S8 & Blue said:

Well... he looks strong, a good height, tricky, can pop the ball off or hold it up intelligently and can skin a man or two - he looks pretty bloody rapid with very good technique.

The ability is there I reckon. The QPR/Reading goal is obscene. Goals will come.

Only seen a couple of games, but I was also referring to that and other YouTube clips.

Games about opinions I suppose!

Dont hold the lad to unfair metrics either - Villaneuva’s showreel would make Messi look crap!

• Like 1

23 minutes ago, S8 & Blue said:

Only seen a couple of games, but I was also referring to that and other YouTube clips.

Games about opinions I suppose!

Dont hold the lad to unfair metrics either - Villaneuva’s showreel would make Messi look crap!

Ha ha!

I think he will be an exciting addition.  If he is Armstrong quick and direct then he should fit right in.  Still not convinced we have a striker capable of doing the 'Graham' role though.  Need one for next season.

I don’t think the fee is a huge matter at this time. The main thing is to improve the group. We have achieved this by tying our best players to long contracts, not selling any of our assets and making some great signings. I genuinely don’t think that TM and the team are counting on Brereton getting 15-20 goals this season. The idea that because we’ve spent good money on you you need to instantly gratify us is unnecessary and outdated. It’s being able to fit into the team and make an impact that is most important. Winning and success becomes a biproduct. TM has proven himself quite frugal in his approach to transfers so that fact he’s sanctioned £5-7m spend on this guy shows what he thinks is possible.

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, HowieFive0 said:

Wouldn't get one Dack for 7M now !

Mark Hughes said their were no more hidden gems about 10 years ago. Yet amazingly players have continued to be developed.

The next Bradley Dack is out there.

It will be interesting to see who is the bigger success at the end of the season. Rothwell or Brereton.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, K-Hod said:

Some of the comments being bandied about are a bit silly.

We’re spending the most money we’ve spent on any player for ages on an as yet, largely inexperienced 19 year old. He’s got a lot of potential and I really want him to fulfil that with us. People are still allowed to be cautious about this and it doesn’t make them negative. 

Like any other fan, I want Brereton to be a success here, like any other signing. I really want to be happy with Rovers and I want the club to compete at as high a level as possible, why on earth wouldn’t I or anyone else want the same? Suggesting otherwise only serves to wind people up and derails threads, as we’ve mentioned before. I still think we are a touch light in wide areas in case of injures and whilst I trust TM, I have concerns about what happens if we pick up injuries, as we have already. 

I understand you trying to keep this a relaxed affair and tbf to you your posts are generally balanced.

However, there’s little doubt where you actually sit in terms of personal preference. You are very quick to jump on anyone who shows any displeasure at the incessant whining and down trodden attitudes which also cause friction. But you seem reticent to step in when the shoe is on the other foot. A few of these have been highlighted and still ignored. Chaddy is always positive and gets a lot of direct and indirect abuse on here. None of which is punished. Appreciate the job you do but a bit of consistency would be great, thanks. 

4 minutes ago, Stuart said:

Which was the argument to NOT sign Rodwell.

How so? The manager obviously thinks he can get a tune out of Rodwell. IF he does then a Rodwell at 80% of his best would arguably be our best player. So once again, the only thing that matters is what the player can bring to the group...

15 minutes ago, Paul Mani said:

I understand you trying to keep this a relaxed affair and tbf to you your posts are generally balanced.

However, there’s little doubt where you actually sit in terms of personal preference. You are very quick to jump on anyone who shows any displeasure at the incessant whining and down trodden attitudes which also cause friction. But you seem reticent to step in when the shoe is on the other foot. A few of these have been highlighted and still ignored. Chaddy is always positive and gets a lot of direct and indirect abuse on here. None of which is punished. Appreciate the job you do but a bit of consistency would be great, thanks. 

Chaddy gets pulled up by some on here because he changes his tune every 5 mins in order to be able to stay positive. Its rarely personal but even I have had to challenge some of his posts when he posts an opinion as though its fact and is rude to anyone who begs to differ 

• Like 4

Just now, gumboots said:

Chaddy gets pulled up by some on here because he changes his tune every 5 mins in order to be able to stay positive. Its rarely personal but even I have had to challenge some of his posts when he posts an opinion as though its fact and is rude to anyone who begs to differ 

He’s not without blame at times. But I can recall one particular instance early in the window when he said he thought we might spend ‘£3-5m’ and he was ridiculed by the usual suspects on here. It was over the top and never pulled up. Consistency.

To be fair, after he said the last thing he wanted was to spend big money on one player (as he never thought we would), to WE MUST buy a 19 year old for millions, (because he now thought we would) and if you don’t agree you’re negative - is exactly why he winds the board up !

• Like 2

Just now, Mattyblue said:

To be fair, after he said the last thing he wanted was to spend big money on one player (as he never thought we would), to WE MUST buy a 19 year old for millions, (because he now thought we would) and if you don’t agree you’re negative - is exactly why he winds the board up !

I’m not saying he doesn’t wind people up, but no more so than those who seek to drain every last ounce of life out of the board. Consistency.

• Like 1

41 minutes ago, Paul Mani said:

Nope. Not having that. K-Hod is a very well respected poster on here and does a good job balancing his own opinion with being a fair mod. For zero credit or thanks. Pipe down and stick to the topics at hand.

• Like 3

By far the worst thing about this board is the endless picking apart of what Chaddy says. What other anonymous people think about what one anonymous person thinks is about as boring as life can get.

Anyway, let’s hope this lad can force his way into the team, as he won’t get handed a shirt just because of the fee,

Edited by Exiled in Toronto
  • Like 7