adz4d2

JANUARY TRANSFER WINDOW

1 hour ago, Kamy100 said:

No deals imminent and Mowbray would like Loans with the option to make permanent type deals:

Loans Deals Key

Its not the rock an roll approach everyone wants, but loan to buy does make sense if you can get a selling club to agree

• Like 2

Just now, AllRoverAsia said:

We are doing fine, see we beat West Brom.

We are doing fine, tbf.

The squad is roughly where it should be and with better game management/actual management, whatever you want to call it, we could easily be top 10. I see no reason why top 10 isn't still a realistic target either, which is progress.

If Mowbray decides to stick with certain players and this rotation tactic to try find our best formation and who is and isn't up to the job ahead of a summer rebuild then I'm all for it, January has never been a month for wholesale squad changes.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Kamy100 said:

No deals imminent and Mowbray would like Loans with the option to make permanent type deals:

Loans Deals Key

Quite different to a loan with a perm deal set in stone.   He either didn't OK the BB deal or he's trying to give the impression he didn't. 

• Like 4

4 minutes ago, Mellor Rover said:

We are doing fine, tbf.

The squad is roughly where it should be and with better game management/actual management, whatever you want to call it, we could easily be top 10. I see no reason why top 10 isn't still a realistic target either, which is progress.

If Mowbray decides to stick with certain players and this rotation tactic to try find our best formation and who is and isn't up to the job ahead of a summer rebuild then I'm all for it, January has never been a month for wholesale squad changes.

So when we talk about giving a manager 2, 3 or 4 windows we actually mean 2, 3 or 4 summer windows?

Mowbray is on record as saying you cannot build a successful Club using loans.

However I do believe that astute use of the loan market, especially in the January window, can make a big diffetence say in finishing midtable or actually making a play off push.

Mowbray said yesterday that Rovers, to hold on to Dack, have to show PL ambition which a midtable finish will not, imo, achieve. Mind you this was in an article basically bigging Dack up as PL oven ready now.

• Like 1

Just now, AllRoverAsia said:

So when we talk about giving a manager 2, 3 or 4 windows we actually mean 2, 3 or 4 summer windows?

Mowbray is on record as saying you cannot build a successful Club using loans.

However I do believe that astute use of the loan market, especially in the January window, can make a big diffetence say in finishing midtable or actually making a play off push.

Mowbray said yesterday that Rovers, to hold on to Dack, have to show PL ambition which a midtable finish will not, imo, achieve. Mind you this was in an article basically bigging Dack up as PL oven ready now.

Personally, I don't believe one summer and a January window is enough to turn us from a top league one team to a top championship team, no.

I'll properly judge September 1st this year, we need a better summer window than the one just gone. I agree with loans too but as you say they can make a difference, especially if you can snaffle them permanently afterwards.

Finishing lets say 12th in our first season back in the Championship should show anyone we're on the right track to be fair.

I believe Dack's quotes, he seems happy here. Mowbray seems happy with him here. But make no mistake about it, if there's a concrete offer for Dack from the Premier League it won't matter where we are when it comes in and personally I'll be amazed if he's still here come the end of the Summer window. Although he would benefit from another full season in this league before making the step up which eventually he will do.

• Like 3

Just now, Mellor Rover said:

Personally, I don't believe one summer and a January window is enough to turn us from a top league one team to a top championship team, no.

Warnock did it. 

• Like 4

2 minutes ago, blueboy3333 said:

Warnock did it. 

Warnock's a better manager than Mowbray.

I'm sure Bruce could've done it too, but we don't have him either. 

15 minutes ago, Mellor Rover said:

I'll properly judge September 1st this year, we need a better summer window than the one just gone. I agree with loans too but as you say they can make a difference, especially if you can snaffle them permanently afterwards.

Finishing lets say 12th in our first season back in the Championship should show anyone we're on the right track to be fair.

I believe Dack's quotes, he seems happy here. Mowbray seems happy with him here. But make no mistake about it, if there's a concrete offer for Dack from the Premier League it won't matter where we are when it comes in and personally I'll be amazed if he's still here come the end of the Summer window. Although he would benefit from another full season in this league before making the step up which eventually he will do.

A fair view, don't disagree. I hope TM's overall planning is based on life after Dack and I hope he's still with us come the end of this window.

• Like 1

May prove to be trivial, but Reed being given permission to play the the cup should be a sign they won’t be recalling him in January. Small win.

• Like 4

Frustratingly, I don’t think our club currently values the January window as much as some of our competition. We don’t need an overhaul but I’m sure teams around us will go out and actively improve their starting 11 in a position or two, allowing them to likely better their league position as well as building an improved platform for starting next season. This makes the ‘let’s save any decent signings til summer as they won’t hit the ground running’ tagline very frustrating as we could be bettering ourselves in the here and now promoting a stronger base window by window.  

Deals for players currently starting in the Championship might be too difficult however there will be very good opportunities in both cherry picking the better players from the leagues below (see Preston yesterday) or going for players not getting a look in in the Prem. As an example from the top of my head look at Joe Lolley last January - he was making the bench at best for Huddersfield in the Prem, Forest needed a winger and took him for a low fee. He was a starter from then onwards and made a solid impact. This season he's been on fire and is regarded as one of the best players in the league, a great January investment for around 500k. I understand the heavy competition for players and the fact that example isn’t one that you can pluck out every day with ease however it would be nice to see the ambition of signing players within our budget that truly improve the side.

I don't think it's unrealistic or simplistic to ask - If we’ve insinuated money is available, why not attempt to spend it now on the players we need in order to not lose momentum and keep on moving forward?

• Like 2

1 hour ago, blueboy3333 said:

Quite different to a loan with a perm deal set in stone.   He either didn't OK the BB deal or he's trying to give the impression he didn't. 

I thought exactly that reading the report.  No more panic buys!

1 hour ago, AllRoverAsia said:

A fair view, don't disagree. I hope TM's overall planning is based on life after Dack and I hope he's still with us come the end of this window.

Absolutely no point planning on Dack being here next year.  Selling him and reinvesting (some) seems the plan. 

Simply put we should sign one very good striker and a good quality winger. Everything else we have decent enough players we can persist with.

Doubt Mowbray has the cash though.

7 minutes ago, Wing Wizard Windy Miller said:

Absolutely no point planning on Dack being here next year.  Selling him and reinvesting (some) seems the plan. 

Main hope we have of keeping him is if his poor from from the last month or so (WBA excepted) continues for another few months putting the prem teams off him. But then do we want players who have long poor spells?

I'd say he's a gonna in the summer as we are not getting promoted. We have a succession plan of sorts in Rothwell I think. I can see him developing into that number 10 role and being decent (though obviously not as good as Dack).

• Like 1

Jordon Mutch is available on a free. Could be a good experienced option on a deal til the summer, then see what happens. Has played left mid a fair bit. 

https://www.transfermarkt.com/jordon-mutch/profil/spieler/57207 

I think he has had his injuries, but I thought he looked decent from what I have seen. 

Efe Ambrose(the one who got away from Coyle) is leaving Hibs on a free also. Apparently to Cardiff. 

Edited by Bigdoggsteel

Anyone notice that Preston moved very quickly to bring in two players. We seem to be behind the curve a little bit. Seem a little bit reactive must mean we are looking at players from Leagues above us rather than from below us like North End

6 minutes ago, Kamy100 said:

TM tried to sign Ambrose in 2017 on loan, so this is one to watch if he doesn't go to Cardiff as speculated above by Bigdoggsteel:

That was Coyle, wasn't it?

• Like 3

PNE have done 3 bits of business already. I really hope we won't be leaving it all until the last dance on the 31st. As blabby pointed out, loans with a view are great in principle but let's make sure they are exactly that rather than this Brereton mess that we've got ourselves in.

Edited by Gavlar Somerset Rover!

3 hours ago, blueboy3333 said:

https://www.rovers.co.uk/news/2018/august/rovers-complete-brereton-coup/ Rovers worded the initial Brereton deal as an option to be fair, so could be slip of the tongue.