BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

ROVERS v Sheff Wed

4 hours ago, blueboy3333 said:

Sharpe's predicted Rovers team:-

Rovers: David Raya, Ryan Nyambe, Paul Downing, Charlie Mulgrew, Amari’i Bell, Harrison Reed, Elliott Bennett, Craig Conway, Joe Rothwell, Bradley Dack, Danny Graham 

https://www.lancashiretelegraph.co.uk/sport/17267613.rovers-v-sheffield-wednesday-everything-you-need-to-know/?ref=mac

That's a fairly grim defence. Dropping Smallwood and Evans would be brave (unless they are out suspended or injured?) 

Conway's legs have gone but he's the only 1 in the squad who is a genuinely good crosser of a ball. Again, further proof of Mowbray's failure in the summer transfer window.

At first glance that looks an exceptionally dull line up dreamt up with a view to not conceding as opposed to striking fear into the opposition. It might work if Bennett was moved into central midfield, otherwise we've seen time and time and time again that lining up with him and Conway on either flank simply doesn't work.

Massive pressure on Dack and Rothwell to produce a flash of inspiration in that set up. Smacks slightly of desperation to me in that TM is falling back on his three old favourites Graham, Conway and Bennett and doesn't know what else to do.

Could be worse I suppose. Could be Bennett Smallwood Evans and Conway in midfield at which point I'd be tempted to turn the car round.

It's only Rich Sharpe's prediction. He got the PNE line-up wrong iirc. He's only just started doing this 'predict the line-up' thing in the last few matches. We'll see if he's been tipped off but I think he'll be very wrong with that line-up. If Downing starts then we've no chance. He really is awful, but then Rodwell is a liability too.

3 hours ago, RevidgeBlue said:

At first glance that looks an exceptionally dull line up dreamt up with a view to not conceding

You don't go in to a game with that defence expecting not to concede. Downing and Bell are poor and Mulgrew, without having Lenihan next to him, is a different player and not in a good way. 

Edited by blueboy3333

Going off Sharpes tweets and articles, he doesn't have an inside track.  I would give his prediction about the same chance of happening as a clued in poster on here. 

To be honest, I actually like the team he picked. I think Conway gets an unfairly hard time. He is a very good footballer, one of the best deliveries in the squad. We struggle with getting good deliveries in. For 60 min, I don't think he would disgrace himself 

I would say the defence is a bit worrying, but not many options there. We need that sorted in January as a matter of urgency 

Edited by Bigdoggsteel

• Backroom

The defence is less of a worry if the midfield is choc full of ‘harriers’ like Bennett, Reed, Rothwell, and Conway.

That’s also the midfield I’d pick. Not necessarily as ‘our best’ but for this game to get a reaction.

Also play Brereton up front alongside Graham (preferably Armstrong) just to give us enough mobility and options when passing forward. This way, any lumps forward would be for Armstrong to run on to, instead of just at Graham’s head.

• Like 1

When weren’t playing well and picking up points players get better in his absence. Conway ain’t the answer, he’s been great for this club but his legs have gone and his crossing is actually pretty poor these days. The last few times before Wigan he’d been played either as a 10 or as a centre mid. He wasn’t good enough for us in league 1, he’s certainly not good enough for us now. We’ve got better options

9 minutes ago, blueboy3333 said:

I'm going to finishing watching a film on my phone during the 1st half. Then when we start playing in the 2nd half I'll turn round to face the pitch.

Sod the film BB get ta bar ...we re going Contactless at Ewood today ..I mean at the bar not on the pitch !! could get messy !!???

• Like 1

Not going today after the Wigan debacle - not shelling out over £100 for tickets to watch dross.

If Sharpe's predicted team is anything like right then I think it merely confirms how abysmal our recruitment has been.

Doesn't seem our big summer signing, Brereton, will start today and this is now beyond a joke given recent results.  I think there has to be something seriously amiss with that signing.

Having said all that, I expect a response and we are playing a team lower than us in the league on our own turf and for those reasons, I've lumped on a Rovers' win at slightly better than evens.  I think it will be a horrible, horrible game but we will sneak it by the odd goal in 3 and, for my 'fun' bet, have stuck a tenner on 2-1 at almost 9/1.

Edited by Mercer

1 hour ago, Tyrone Shoelaces said:

Looking at that prospective line up is depressing. What happened to our recruitment in the close season ?

who knows what the team will be. 

not sure Sharpe knows the team. 

I think we can say Raya, Reed, Mulgrew, Bennett will be in the team. the other 7 is wide open imo. 

I expect Rothwell to play