Neal

Summer Transfer Window 2019

1 hour ago, DeeCee said:

You fishing?

Are you just going to ask silly questions or do you have a point to make? 

Edited by blueboy3333

54 minutes ago, Paul Mani said:

WOW! This sounds amazing! He’s come back from Pune absolutely buzzing and ready to deliver on his plan. Fans have to be made up with this...right?

I don't often laugh on here. Cheers. 

8 hours ago, AllRoverAsia said:

I'd take a punt on him, he can do miracles on a good day.

and he'd improve the catering!

5 hours ago, Exiled_Rover said:

I always wonder what happened to Hughes.

He had all the makings of a superstar manager with his work at Wales and then with us. He's turned into a journeyman manager who outstays his welcome after a couple of years. 

He seemed to lose his magic touch in the transfer market after he left us. 

He signed decent players at City (Kompany, Zabaleta), and he got Shakiri to sign for stoke which was something close to incredible. He signed Arnautovich there as well.

To be honest he had a great time at rovers, a decent but unspectacular one at City, did well at Fulham and Stoke (until his last season). He had 2 disasters - QPR and Southampton. 

He'll come good for someone I'm sure, should his heart still be in it. One thing he does have is a massive ego so whether he wants to step down a division to get a job is the question. After Southampton I can't see a prem side going for him.

1 hour ago, Paul Mani said:

There’s a fine balance, but I’m positive we will recruit well.

“We will sign some young ones that will bubble under and burst through and become first-team players.

“We have to sign some experienced players to get the job done” - Mowbray.

TM has just told Myers that Dack isn’t going either....

WOW! This sounds amazing! He’s come back from Pune absolutely buzzing and ready to deliver on his plan. Fans have to be made up with this...right?

Love a positive fan, let’s hope for a few decent signings.

3 hours ago, Butty said:

Made up with what? Words means fuck all until we actually get some players through the door.. I’m looking forward too seeing who we bring in but come on now Paul stop trying too piss people off. 

Just trying to keep things balanced in here pal. No point just picking all the negatives out of everything. Ying and yang! (😞 vs 😁)

Edited by Paul Mani

4 hours ago, Paul Mani said:

Just trying to keep things balanced in here pal. No point just picking all the negatives out of everything. Ying and yang! (😞 vs 😁)

"balanced"!!!!!   :o

7 hours ago, joey_big_nose said:

He signed decent players at City (Kompany, Zabaleta), and he got Shakiri to sign for stoke which was something close to incredible. He signed Arnautovich there as well.

To be honest he had a great time at rovers, a decent but unspectacular one at City, did well at Fulham and Stoke (until his last season). He had 2 disasters - QPR and Southampton. 

He'll come good for someone I'm sure, should his heart still be in it. One thing he does have is a massive ego so whether he wants to step down a division to get a job is the question. After Southampton I can't see a prem side going for him.

Hughes' right hand man Mark Bowen is rumoured to be becoming Reading's director of football. Unless I'm mistaken that will be the first time he's not worked with Hughes since Hughes entered management. That tells me that perhaps Hughes isn't planning on managing again for a while.

Standard stuff from Mowbray really. As ever the proof will be in the pudding and I'll try to reserve judgement and not pay too much attention to the publicity. 

I do get sick and fed up of Sky, Radio Lancashire and Telegraph scuttling along to the Eid in the park event and trying to get a story out of him regarding Dack. Maybe to be expected from Sky in their Premier League obsessed world but it is disappointing to see from the local media. Gives them something to do I suppose but I don't think it is being done in Rovers interests and appears to be completely baseless at this point. 

Just now, JHRover said:

Standard stuff from Mowbray really. As ever the proof will be in the pudding and I'll try to reserve judgement and not pay too much attention to the publicity. 

I think if we keep the better ones, and add a few young players and spend a few million like last summer, I’d be happy enough with the progress.

9 hours ago, joey_big_nose said:

Kompany and Zabaleta were both signed for £6m (ish) within weeks of Hughes leaving Rovers for City.

They were Hughes' top targets for us that summer and the wheels were in motion on both. Hence why it was such a quick double signing at City.

Imagine if City had waited a few more weeks and we signed both of them in 2008 instead of Grella, Andrews and Simpson.

They can join the fantasy 11 players we almost had along with Keane, Zidane, Dugarry and Lewandowski.

1 hour ago, Biz said:

I think if we keep the better ones, and add a few young players and spend a few million like last summer, I’d be happy enough with the progress.

I hope we don't spend a few million like last summer.

Just now, Angry_Pirate said:

Kompany and Zabaleta were both signed for £6m (ish) within weeks of Hughes leaving Rovers for City.

They were Hughes' top targets for us that summer and the wheels were in motion on both. Hence why it was such a quick double signing at City.

Imagine if City had waited a few more weeks and we signed both of them in 2008 instead of Grella, Andrews and Simpson.

They can join the fantasy 11 players we almost had along with Keane, Zidane, Dugarry and Lewandowski.

Thinking the Trust would've sanctioned either of those signings.

AdmiredClutteredEgret-small.gif

37 minutes ago, Angry_Pirate said:

Before your time I suppose but you can put Colin Bell in that list.

7 minutes ago, Tyrone Shoelaces said:

Before your time I suppose but you can put Colin Bell in that list.

Really!!!

58 minutes ago, Angry_Pirate said:

Don't know why I'm actually putting myself through this, but I wonder what said XI would actually look like. Just the ones you mention are half way to being a world class side.

47 minutes ago, Amo said:

Thinking the Trust would've sanctioned either of those signings.

AdmiredClutteredEgret-small.gif

To be fair, not that outlandish that we could've signed one or both if we had different priorities of spending the Bentley & Friedel money. Money paid for Robinson, Grella, Andrews & the money we found for Diouf would've been comfortably more than £6million

1 hour ago, Angry_Pirate said:

Part of the reason Hughes left was that he couldn't get the financial backing to secure players like DIarra, Kompany and Zabaleta. 

With investment (£20m ish) we could have made the Champion League I think under Mark Hughes. But without the cash Hughes, quite understandably, thought he had done everything he could and moved on. I can't really blame John Williams as he didn't have the cash to fund those sorts of signings, and he was trying to keep the club sustainable.

For Hughes I think he genuinely thought it was only a matter of time before he managed the likes of United or Chelsea. Didn't really work out like that though, the top clubs were only going for very well established talent who won trophies.

Hughes walking out on Fulham was real hubris.

Edited by joey_big_nose

I thought the straw that broke the camel's back was the Board's failure to allow Hughes to replace Savage when he broke his leg?

They should've stumped up for Diara that was a real boo boo and Hughes deserved that level of backing.

However deep behind the scenes the intention was to off load the club not build it that's why we ended up like we are -- totally hamstrung.