BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

Football League Suspended

1 hour ago, Parsonblue said:

Agree with all of the above.  Personally, I don't think football with fans will happen again until next year but if this virus is still around - which is almost certain - then I too would be very reluctant to venture into a football ground.  It's at times like this that football and its importance is put into perspective.

Quite a few on here have been saying that football as we have known it in 'modern' times will never be the same again. The ridiculous wages, Sky's total command of the game,  agents and a plethora of other things will be streamlined and hopefully the game is given back to the fans in respect of a sensible pricing structure across anything football related and maybe board representation. 

The great shame is that it will take this horrible virus to give the powers that be the kick up the backside they desperately needed.

• Like 5

24 minutes ago, rigger said:

And what if they get run over crossing the road. There are many risks in life. Worrying about them just causes stress and lowers your standard of living.

That's a poor example - it's completely unnecessary risk. You passing on a virus will certainly lower other people's standard of living for sure.

• Like 1

There's many risks be taken just going around in everyday life. Sitting at a football match isn't usually associated with them but now it might be a risk in itself.

Not the time to playing the hard man this one doesn't come at you square on.

1 hour ago, arbitro said:

Quite a few on here have been saying that football as we have known it in 'modern' times will never be the same again. The ridiculous wages, Sky's total command of the game,  agents and a plethora of other things will be streamlined and hopefully the game is given back to the fans in respect of a sensible pricing structure across anything football related and maybe board representation. 

The great shame is that it will take this horrible virus to give the powers that be the kick up the backside they desperately needed.

The cynic in me says how long before the snakes take back control and it’s business as usual and all this is quickly forgotten 

• Like 2

7 minutes ago, Oldgregg86 said:

The cynic in me says how long before the snakes take back control and it’s business as usual and all this is quickly forgotten 

That would be a worry but I really don't think there will be the same money swishing about in the game. I honestly think the wider fear is that football's Golden Goose (Sky) isn't going to come out of this too well and the knock on effect will have huge ramifications for professional football.

1 hour ago, Oldgregg86 said:

They'll be cooking up already the best way to exploit what's left. They'll have suffered as well, some might even have to try and earn an honest wage now.

2 hours ago, arbitro said:

That's a poor example - it's completely unnecessary risk. You passing on a virus will certainly lower other people's standard of living for sure.

By the time football is played in front of supporters, I would think that shops, pubs, public transport, and places of work etc, will be  back to relative normal.Will you not be going to them either?

I’m really struggling with the idea that in order to live we have to avoid living.

It can’t go on indefinitely. Diseases and infections have been the enemy of humankind since our species began.

We need to protect the vulnerable but we need to get back to life. At some point. Soon.

There will be a lot more pain and suffering in a huge economic crash. It’s already going to be bad enough.

Yes, football as a spectator sport is luxury but without spectators it is utterly meaningless.

• Like 4

3 minutes ago, rigger said:

By the time football is played in front of supporters, I would think that shops, pubs, public transport, and places of work etc, will be  back to relative normal.Will you not be going to them either?

Social distancing is here for a good while yet and the examples you give are far more important than football where it's virtually impossible to stay a safe distance. I will go when it's deemed safe and I feel confident enough to.

• Like 2

10 hours ago, arbitro said:

Social distancing is here for a good while yet and the examples you give are far more important than football where it's virtually impossible to stay a safe distance. I will go when it's deemed safe and I feel confident enough to.

But what you stated earlier is that if Someone attends a game they might unknowingly infect someone else. That could happen in any aspect of life. If you are not going to attend the Rovers when it is deemed safe, that is your prerogative. I will be going.

We of course have an advantage in having a 32000 seater stadium and only 10000 home fans. Leave every other seat vacant and fill the ground.

Probably applies to many Championship grounds and others could reduce actual capacity to do it. Lots of people will just not take the risk and skip the rest of the season anyway. I guess that will depend on the individual's risk factor to themselves and family members.

No away fans is better than behind closed doors ?

How would it feel watching with an empty seat either side ?

• Moderation Lead
12 minutes ago, OldEwoodBlue said:

We of course have an advantage in having a 32000 seater stadium and only 10000 home fans. Leave every other seat vacant and fill the ground.

Probably applies to many Championship grounds and others could reduce actual capacity to do it. Lots of people will just not take the risk and skip the rest of the season anyway. I guess that will depend on the individual's risk factor to themselves and family members.

Pretty much the same as every other week tbh.

• Like 2

5 minutes ago, OldEwoodBlue said:

What about going in and coming out of the ground, travelling, queuing to buy tickets etc, emergency evacuation and other things. I just don't believe it's practical to safely open any sports ground or any mass gatherings whilst there is a threat of this horrible virus is still around. 

• Like 2

Every other seat being vacant is hardly social distancing anyway, how do you get to your seat if it's in the middle of the block?

It's all nonesense, I wouldn't expect fans in stadiums until next year at the earliest.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, arbitro said:

What about going in and coming out of the ground, travelling, queuing to buy tickets etc, emergency evacuation and other things. I just don't believe it's practical to safely open any sports ground or any mass gatherings whilst there is a threat of this horrible virus is still around. 

Couldn't agree more.  I was reading this week that Germany are not likely to allow supporters into stadiums until some time in 2021.  It seems likely that the start of the 2021-22 season would be a possible start date if a vaccine has been developed.  Personally, I really don't see how or when the 2020-21 season will be allowed to start with spectators and I'm not convinced Sky will pay for a full season of behind closed doors football.   

8 minutes ago, Parsonblue said:

Couldn't agree more.  I was reading this week that Germany are not likely to allow supporters into stadiums until some time in 2021.  It seems likely that the start of the 2021-22 season would be a possible start date if a vaccine has been developed.  Personally, I really don't see how or when the 2020-21 season will be allowed to start with spectators and I'm not convinced Sky will pay for a full season of behind closed doors football.   

With regard to Sky I believe they will lose their stranglehold over football due to the many cancelled subscriptions they will get in the near future. One of their main sources of income is from overseas broadcasting with pubs and clubs also contributing a large amount. With pubs being closed and many unlikely to open Sky are desperately worried. I have spoken to friends and family and they have all said they will cancel their subscriptions rather than watch live football in empty stadiums. The Sky deal lasts until the end of next season and contractually I don't know if they can wriggle out of it or at the very least dilute it. The landscape of football is about I believe to change and hopefully for the better. Perhaps the real issues like silly kick off times and expecting fans to travel inordinate distances unnecessarily in midweek will be reviewed if the Sky bubble bursts.

• Like 2

The Football League has promised all Fixtures will be live one way or other. So they are going to need Sky to provide coverage of these fans. How other can they do it? Will Ifollow be able to cope with internet traffic? I doubt it. So Sky and Quest tv are going to be needed. 

Don't understand why people would cancel their sky subscription when the majority of sporting coverage will be on there if fans arent allow like Football, Cricket, golf, F1. Basketball set to come back live from USA shortly. 

33 minutes ago, chaddyrovers said:

The Football League has promised all Fixtures will be live one way or other. So they are going to need Sky to provide coverage of these fans. How other can they do it? Will Ifollow be able to cope with internet traffic? I doubt it. So Sky and Quest tv are going to be needed. 

Don't understand why people would cancel their sky subscription when the majority of sporting coverage will be on there if fans arent allow like Football, Cricket, golf, F1. Basketball set to come back live from USA shortly. 

You are making the mistake of thinking everybody is interested in the sports you mention. I pay for Sky essentially for football and rugby league. I have never watched golf, F1 or basketball and have no desire to do so. And I will not be watching televised football in empty stadiums.

3 minutes ago, arbitro said:

You are making the mistake of thinking everybody is interested in the sports you mention. I pay for Sky essentially for football and rugby league. I have never watched golf, F1 or basketball and have no desire to do so. And I will not be watching televised football in empty stadiums.

Plenty of people interested in watching cricket, football, etc. 

Why wont you been watching football in empty stadiums? 

1 minute ago, chaddyrovers said:

Plenty of people interested in watching cricket, football, etc. 

Why wont you been watching football in empty stadiums? 

When I watch football I want there to be some atmosphere and background noise. The notion of hearing players voices echoing around an empty stadium just doesn't appeal to me at all. I recently spoke to a couple of ex professionals who said the lack of motivation that empty stadiums would engender would effect the intensity and overall quality of the football. I completely agree with him too having refereed games behind closed doors.

• Like 1

• Moderation Lead
53 minutes ago, chaddyrovers said:

Seems pretty obvious to me why people would want to cancel their Sky Sports subscription, when there’s no sport on, to be fair!

People might find that they don’t miss it and let’s not forget that people will struggle financially and Sky TV is a luxury that would be the first to go in many households if they are counting the pennies more closely. 
I wouldn’t want to watch football without crowds either tbh. 
It’s a real shame that they are prioritising football without crowds when fans are the life blood of the game. 

• Like 1