SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

Yorke And The Fans

chris

• Replies 638
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

This is desperately sad and unfair on Blackburn Rovers. We have a good reputation for the behaviour of our fans, but this is now tarnished forever because of one ###### up fool and a media machine desperately short of other things to discuss.

A couple of seasons ago when Rovers played at St Andrews, a significant part of the Birmingham crowd taunted Dwight Yorke with some of the most unpleasant chanting I have ever heard at a football match. It wasn't racist, but in my opinion if anything it was worse, as it referred specifically to his blind child.

Something along the lines of "Your son will never see you" - not one or two fans, it was a proper chant.

As the media takes us to bits because of the actions of ONE individual I can't help thinking that we are very, very unfortunate that our reputation has been tarnished like this.

And with the pending police investigations and maybe even a trial to follow, this isn't just going to drop off the agenda. It's going to keep coming back into the limelight and will thus ensure that the entire nation puts Blackburn Rovers fans and racism in the same box.

It's a very unfortunate set of circumstances, and I for one feel totally gutted about it.

The issue of racism is a very serious issue. However I have been shocked by watching various tv channels today. It has been made out as if a large group were being racist. This does stem from Steve Bruce going a bit over the top with the comments he made after the game and all the stuff that took place in Madrid last week. I just find it ridiculous that this was the main story on Sky News for most of the day and obviously on SSN. Live at Ewood Park every hour waiting for any information to come out. I realise these news channels have a duty but I really think the story has been blown up far too much.

Racist abuse has no place in society but it was just some ned who looked completely out of it and maybe one or two others who have joined in.

A couple of seasons ago when Rovers played at St Andrews, a significant part of the Birmingham crowd taunted Dwight Yorke with some of the most unpleasant chanting I have ever heard at a football match. It wasn't racist, but in my opinion if anything it was worse, as it referred specifically to his blind child.

Something along the lines of "Your son will never see you" - not one or two fans, it was a proper chant.

And with the pending police investigations and maybe even a trial to follow, this isn't just going to drop off the agenda. It's going to keep coming back into the limelight and will thus ensure that the entire nation puts Blackburn Rovers fans and racism in the same box.

Which simply illustrates the daft imbalance in justice compared to other crimes in which racism is held. This type of silly racism / colour predjudice should really be held somewhere between sticks and stones and bullying at school. This isn't real racist violence / Ku Klux Klannishness / extortion etc etc is it? Sure its unpleasant but ffs Dwight Yorke has suffered no harm at all other than having a nasty taste left in his mouth regarding his opinion of Blackburn fans. Which imo is most definitely mutual.

Hold on a mo Glenn I didnt suggest that we do it on here ! FFS I know how much damage that would do !!!

I simply meant for the offender to go to the club himself. rolleyes.gif

I guessed that, but I was just making things clear for the hard of thinking out there smile.gif

From what I understand it was a very small majority of 3 or 4 people. In a week where racism has been front page news the media wanted to blow the story up mainly due to the madrid racism schenanigans. The madrid racism was made by many, many fans while this was a much smaller affair.

This isn't real racist violence / Ku Klux Klannishness / extortion etc etc is it? Sure its unpleasant but ffs Dwight Yorke has suffered no harm at all other than having a nasty taste left in his mouth regarding his opinion of Blackburn fans. Which imo is most definitely mutual.

So we accept then because no real harm was done? Sorry but it's that kind of attitude that leads to far worse things. This story has gone way over the top but not because it was nothing. More because it should not be allowed to tarnish our club. However anyone who seriously believes this issue is trivial needs to have a word with themselves. If I had done something like that I would be an outcast amongst my friends and family and the sad thing is this scrote is probably a hero amongst his peers.

One pillock, at least, spoils yesterday's game with his ignorant behavour, which seems to me having seen the TV footage to be a monkey taunt.  And after a dozen pages of reasonable discusssion here waggy and blue phil hit the gutter. 

"The fact of the matter is that nothing of any note happened at Ewood yesterday." 

I'm afraid it did Blue Phil if the footage is to be believed.  It seems certain that Yorke was racially abused yesterday.

"i will not apoligise for what went on yesterday,as most people living in blackburn knows it goes on-why do you think we only get .0000001 % off the asian population coming to ewood,they get abused,black players get abused."

Well Waggy that makes it OK doesn't it?   Racism happens, so there's no point anyone complaining then is what you're saying.

With fans like these........

Kin ell you dont improve with age do you Paul Mac? "Waggy and Phil hit the gutter!" What a sanctimonious pain in the arse you are.

I know how we'll make it up to the lazy arsed useless fraud Yorky, we'll all wear sackcloth and ashes and publically flagellate ourselves daily with branches from thorn trees everyday between now and this time next year, all in full view of Sky cameras before tearing down Ewood Park one brick at a time until BRFC will be no more! Then we'll use the bits to erect a mosque where the centre circle once was then they wont feel left out and a bronze statue of Dwight next to that nice fountain next to the shop where JW used to stand, and every 'injured' party will be happy. Except us, the supporters, but then thats not important to the likes of you is it?

There all cos of one pissd up kid! Not a few thousand in brown shirts giving nazi salutes every home game. No! Just one drunken moron with no future, no manners, no sense of shame and responsibility etc etc and probably cos this stupid liberal society forbade such behaviour to be knocked out of him at school. Happy now Paul?

Dunno why but I have it in mind that your Father in Law is an Irish Celtic fan is that right? If so please distinguish for me the difference between racism and sectarianism of the Glaswegian Catholic / Proddy variety. As far as I can see both are simply deep hatred of one tribe v another. But of course it is not half as 'bad' and doesn't attract the same attention even though it happens daily and incessantly in that city because both 'tribes' are white. But determined action against that by the footballing authorities?.......Nah. No way.

Keep a sense of perspective will you?

Edited by thenodrog

What a ferkin sorry state of affairs. It really is I am ashmed of my own homeland. Because ONE or TWO, yes one or two individuals in a crowd of over 20,000 make some noises? no, because of the "racism" thing? no. I'll tell you why because the fact ONE or TWO people can do that and it takes up 15 pages on here, it covers all the newpapers, it has totally out performed what I thought was a most enjoyable game.

The will always be morons, of ALL SKIN COLOURS. I can't beleive it is even an issue I really can't. A bloody drunk(I'm assuming) makes a noise like a monkey and posts with KKK come up, you IDIOTS you really are bloody stupid IDIOTS. How many of you know what the Klan is about, let me tell you it goes far beyond monkey noises. Please if you are going to throw names around know what you are talking about. You know if I had a nickle for every black guy that has racially insulted me I would be bankrolling our club.

It is so insignificant in the big scheme of life, it's such a total waste of energy.

Every week our fans sing Burnley fan's peel bananas with their feet, is that OK? Sounds sort of racist to me.

I apologize because 15 pages is just too much to read for me before posting, so I have not read whats preceded.

I think the attention this incident has received is ridiculous. One man in a crowd, obviously drunk or just a plain idiot, makes a few racist gestures and our club is plastered all over the papers. It's just another pathetic reflection of the ridiculous over sensitivity on racism. Absolutely pathetic. Sure I do not condone it, but jesus, this happens all the time and the situation was dealt with efficiently. There isn't a racism crisis in the game, but the stupid amount of attention the issue is given is making it all the more offensive and all the more easy to offend. People need to be less sensitive and realise that racism has, and always will occur, it's just the way it is.

As for Yorke, he is in his right to be angry and offended but he hasn't helped his former club by making such a massive deal of it. It's really unfortunate that at the time the crowd was also boo'ing because many think the entire crowd were boo'ing out of racism and not the fact that he's a lazy... He could easily have warmed up at the other end of the pitch.

I was also very pleasently surprised by Birmingham's chairman who really played down the incident and looked at it realistically. I've since stopped watching SSN because the exposure this incident is receiving is ridiculous.

This type of silly racism / colour predjudice should really be held somewhere between sticks and stones and bullying at school.  This isn't real racist violence / Ku Klux Klannishness / extortion etc etc is it?  Sure its unpleasant but ffs Dwight Yorke has suffered no harm at all other than having a nasty taste left in his mouth regarding his opinion of Blackburn fans.  Which imo is most definitely mutual.

The hard line against racism has been one of the few glowing achievments of recent times. There is no way to defend racism, at least not on a modern rational basis, and as such should be irradicated.

Why undermine it? Why try to drag the carpet from under the feet of something to be proud of? If Dwight was not subject to racial abuse then there is a case to lay blame at his feet or diminish it as over sensitivity. However if he was subject to such abuse do not belittle it. The obvious slippery slope argument aside it just shows we do not believe in those libeties and rights that we hold close to our hearts.

It should never be just part of our culture.

Edited by joey_big_nose

Like Tris I'm desperately sad that this has happened. Our name has been tarnished now throughout the country - and it's completely unjustified.

Today at work a colleague of mine (a Liverpool fan) "joked" as I approach him: "Watch out - here's the racist!". He meant no harm, it was supposed to be a laugh, he knows I'm not racist, but that's what stupid people who don't know me are going to think now.

On a sidenote, another sad consequence of all this is that I have to read the pathetic ramblings of Thenodrog and Blue Phil et al on this board. Normally their mis-guided, yet frequently repeated, views are kept to the ICBINF board where I just tend to ignore them.

The hard line against racism has been one of the few glowing achievments of recent times. There is no way to defend racism, at least not on a modern rational basis, and as such should be irradicated.

I agree, but what happens when it is "reverse" racism. No one bats an eye. I simply can not understand how Two indiviuals can become national news for some remarks and or gestures. It's just gone too far, I mean I have it on good authority one can not even ask for a Black coffe at Ewood. Give me a break, it's all crackers, oops sorry did not mean to offend any white people.

Today at work a colleague of mine (a Liverpool fan) "joked" as I approach him: "Watch out - here's the racist!". He meant no harm, it was supposed to be a laugh, he knows I'm not racist, but that's what stupid people who don't know me are going to think now.

Ever considered a sense of humour transplant Scotty? You should.

btw You're not 'Marvin the Paranoid Android' are you?

Today at work a colleague of mine (a Liverpool fan) "joked" as I approach him:  "Watch out - here's the racist!".  He meant no harm, it was supposed to be a laugh, he knows I'm not racist, but that's what stupid people who don't know me are going to think now.

Ever considered a sense of humour transplant Scotty? You should.

btw You're not 'Marvin the Paranoid Android' are you?

If only I could be as funny as you Theno.

This piece seems to bethe best balanced this morning.

JW calling in the Chief Super was an excellent PR exercise all round. Revidge, if you heard the Brady interview, she did not call for a criminal investigation, she observed that if it were a racial incident, it fell within the parameters of the criminal law.

The Sun apart, (and the BBC website which is STILL leading is sports section and home page with the same story) the fact that the matter is now sub judice and therefore cannot be reported upon easily hopefully will now starve the issue of newsworthy publicity although Brum are scrapping among themselves following David Sullivan's reasonable statement yesterday (never thought I would write that).

I know this is a bit of a cop out but I hope the youth whose features adorn page 9 of The Sun is not from Blackburn. It would deflect some of the bad smell away from the club and town.

The last thing we want is The Sun scooping they found him but perhaps I am being too cynical when I suggest the kid is already in receipt of a Murdoch backhander and is with a Sun-paid for lawyer. Would they have pulled the stunt jim has told us about if there were risk a Mirror reader would hand him in tomorrow?

As for the scarf, I think Dukla Prague no longer exist. If it is Sparta Prague, they are notorious for their racism (no strangers to UEFA disciplinary action for it) and this moron wearing a scarf like that raises all kinds of questions about his links and motives.

Edited by philipl

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.