BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

[Archived] New signings

Which position should be first priority for January signings?  

177 members have voted

1. 1. Which position should be first priority for January signings?

• Right back
    • Left back
    • Centre half
    • Defensive midfield
    • Attacking midfield
    • Striker

This poll is closed to new votes

1. Centre Half.

2. Defensive Midfielder.

--------------------------------

3. Striker.

As the stories go, it seems as though Hughsie has a rumoured £5million to spend on transfers in the New Year. If this is true then i would like the to see the addition of anyoen out of the following 3 sections: -

1. S.Henchoz//D.Purse/O.Umit/E.Van Meir

2. R.Savage/D.Murphy/T.Simons/E.Petit

3. L.Saha (loan)/L.Ferdinand/D.Bergkamp/P.Lovenkrands

To resolve our defensive crisis, i would drop Lucas Neill from the team and give Gavin Peers a promotion from the reserves and give him a stab at right-back.

• Replies 116
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

i would like the to see the addition of anyoen out of the following 3 sections: -

1. S.Henchoz//D.Purse/O.Umit/E.Van Meir

2. R.Savage/D.Murphy/T.Simons/E.Petit

3. L.Saha (loan)/L.Ferdinand/D.Bergkamp/P.Lovenkrands

Eh.. is there another L Ferdinand around or are you talking about Les, am praying for your sanity that there is one that I have not heard about.

We need to STOP buying has beens and trust me Sir Les is definately over the hill and would not solve anything.

Exactly what I was saying in the chat room after the game, I can only reiterate the point that den and I have made that we need a centre forward who will score goals. Dickov's a great little player, but we need a goalscorer alongside him to feed off his workrate and movement. Nathan Ellington anyone?

What rivals would these players teams walk into... those staring at relegation too?  Well thats why they are there.  Or are you talking about Burnley?

Seriously what Premier teams would be delighted to have Dickov, Short, Reid or Todd walk into there starting 11s, I am not trying to take anything away from the effort some of these players have put in nor am I reacting to recent games but lets face facts

Short and Dickov are getting on, they are hardly the most skillful players and they don't exactly make up for this in pace.

Todd and Reid are not even guaranteed regular first team spaces

And the loss of Berg, Duff and Cole is not even close to being made up for by the presence of Fergusson and Dickov.

Have you seen the league table lately, or have you been reading it upside down?

My central point is that we have easily as good a squad of players as everton, charlton, bolton. The difference is how effectively we use them. We do need a good striker and a good partner for Ferguson but there is no defence in saying we have poor players. The simple truth is while none of them are world beaters they are of a similar standard to those available to around 10 of the other Prem teams.

I personally feel chucking five or six first teamers out and having a massive reshuffle over January would do far more harm than good.

Edited by joey_big_nose

I personally feel chucking five or six first teamers out and having a massive reshuffle over January would do far more harm than good.

not neccessarily. i think heavy changes are needed to turn us into a good, consistent side. i don't want to jump on the morten g-p bandwagon but i am really eager to see him given a proper run in the side, at least then it will finally shut up a few people around here on either side of the argument one way or another. priority lies at centre-back.

short- old reliable but the 'old' stands out more than the 'reliable'.

todd- strong and sturdy but not the greatest centre back to don the blue-and-white halved shirt.

nissa- simply frustrating. one minute he looks so promising and solid and then below-standard in the next. one thing is for sure, he should only be a full-back in tough games away from home. at ewood we need a full-back who can get up and down the flank and support the attack sufficiently.

matteo- doesn't fill me with any hope when i've seen him this season. there is a reason leeds got relegated and that was 'cos of their appauling defence. apparantly he had a good game at full back today but the jury is still out.

amoruso- can take free kicks, has passion and works hard but i'm afraid the italian stallion lacks pace desperately and is prone to mistakes. also he has a troubling injury and i see his rovers career not lasting much longer.

hopefully these trialists can impress and add some much needed energy to the defence.

also, I was wondering if anyone could tell me if the reason gray has been dropped is just down to footballing reasons...?

Edited by oblivion

matteo- doesn't fill me with any hope when i've seen him this season. there is a reason leeds got relegated and that was 'cos of their appauling defence. apparantly he had a good game at full back today but the jury is still out.

Ugh he's just crap!!!!!!!

So is your contribution to this bored.

I personally do not think we need another striker, just the right combination. The combinations we play just do not work well together. Stead and Gallagher for me.

Edited by tcj_jones

not neccessarily. i think heavy changes are needed to turn us into a good, consistent side. i don't want to jump on the morten g-p bandwagon but i am really eager to see him given a proper run in the side, at least then it will finally shut up a few people around here on either side of the argument one way or another. priority lies at centre-back.

short- old reliable but the 'old' stands out more than the 'reliable'.

todd- strong and sturdy but not the greatest centre back to don the blue-and-white halved shirt.

nissa- simply frustrating. one minute he looks so promising and solid and then below-standard in the next. one thing is for sure, he should only be a full-back in tough games away from home. at ewood we need a full-back who can get up and down the flank and support the attack sufficiently.

amoruso- can take free kicks, has passion and works hard but i'm afraid the italian stallion lacks pace desperately and is prone to mistakes. also he has a troubling injury and i see his rovers career not lasting much longer.

hopefully these trialists can impress and add some much needed energy to the defence.

also, I was wondering if anyone could tell me if the reason gray has been dropped is just down to footballing reasons...?

Roverdrake, I mean Ewood Dream, I mean Oblivion, how can you make these judgements when you admit that you never watch Rovers play?

BTW, good try typing in lower case and following up with a post from one of your other alias', but you're not kidding anybody.

Edited by tcj_jones

You don't win games without scoring goals and our strikers are not doing that right now. Hence a stiker is a must - another centre back would be nice but has to be second behind a new striker.

Dickov is not premiership material, Stead lacks confidence big time, Bothroyd is talented but not reliable, Gallagher is not and never will be a 15 goals a season striker and Jansen doesn't look like ever returning to his best. The loss of Andy Cole was the writing on the wall.

You don't win games without scoring goals and our strikers are not doing that right now. Hence a stiker is a must - another centre back would be nice but has to be second behind a new striker.

Dickov is not premiership material, Stead lacks confidence big time, Bothroyd is talented but not reliable, Gallagher is not and never will be a 15 goals a season striker and Jansen doesn't look like ever returning to his best. The loss of Andy Cole was the writing on the wall.

Dickov IS material but agree with the other comments.

And , dickov cant guarantee you goals.

Dickov reminds me of the ankle biters that I've seen some sides have staking out the defensive mid position. They just harrass the stuffing out of the attack but aren't expected to have the delivery ability to be the skilled disributor for the counter.

Top priority is a striker I reckon. If we don't find someone who can score regularly we will be struggle to get away from the bottom. I would stick with Dickov but we need a goal poacher to play with him (Apologies for mentioning playing with and Dickov in the same sentance).

We probably need all the other positions as well but I would say centre-back is the 2nd prioirty. Midfield is OK and the full backs are poor but we can probably get by with them but we need a real leader at the back.

Who are we going to get though as we presumably haven't got much money?

As it is a striker has to be top priority. I know we've loads of half decent ones, and certainly Gally and Stead may be stars of the future but the here and now isn't so good.

We aren't finishing off teams there's no class up front plain and simple. Man City away, down to 10 men - Rovers fail to finish them off.

Crystal Palace - Rovers dominate and fail to gain all three points.

Liverpool - last minute chance falls to Dickov - another draw.

That's 6 extra points which a top class centre forward could/would have gained us off the top of my head. We need some quality up front as quite simply we aren't putting teams away, which is the reason that we are where we are. We need wins but we've no one to convert the chances we're making.

As for all the other positions I'd like new players in all of them but none have the pressing need that the striking position has. At centre back, Short's return has seen an improvement, and Todd and Nissa are both decent players. Whilst a cb would be my next choice, with Hughes working with and improving these three players the position isn't as terrible as it once was. Granted there's a lack of quality, but hey, the whole squad lacks quality. But Todd, Short and Nissa can do the job for us.

The midfield at last looks somewhat cohesive. Another central midfielder would be nice but with Emerton, Reid and Ferguson playing fairly well together and getting a few goals I think its a case of its not broke so don't fix it and isn't a priority. Hopefully if MGP and Flitty get a bit of form together then the midfield is looking fairly strong.

Also a left back if Grey and Gresko aren't considered up to it. An attacking left back would be quite nice to compliment our attacks down the left, which I don't think Matteo or Nissa really offer. Hopefully Gresko can sort out this position and get back to his best but if not a lb is also needed. At right back I think Neill's improving and so again this position is not a big worry.

Looking at it with a striker, centre back and a defensive centre mid we should have a decent team again. Whether Hughes will be able to sort out these positions is another matter.

Looking at it with a striker, centre back and a defensive centre mid we should have a decent team again. Whether Hughes will be able to sort out these positions is another matter.

I admit to a mix of bias and hope, but I do believe that Nelsen will solve the center back problem.

And a thought about what some have been saying about Friedel (I agree, by the way...I suspect he's lost his number 1 US national job). I once heard a manager talking about his very effective keeper. Something about how the keeper could take the chances to get off his line because he knew that he had great defenders to cover for him. Do we suppose that Brad keeps close because he doesn't have that knowledge?

just seen on www.thisislancashire.co.uk - that hughesy is launching a bid of £2m for sobbie ravage in january.

###### hell...what the (Please don't use that word again) is going on?? don't get me wrong, i reckon he will battle more than anyone, but we are getting too many players that are of the same mentality. too many batlers, when we could do with somebody who has a touch of class.

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.