BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

[Archived] Rovers 2 Newcastle 2

Here's an interesting one, Jemal Johnson has been given squad number 28 ahead of the game.

Oooooo

Now theres some interesting news Lee.

Has he been named in the squad yet, or do we not do that kind of thing anymore - I havnt seen it for a while?

• Replies 212
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

From PA Sport

Newcastle boss Graeme Souness heads for familiar territory today knowing his reception might be just as frosty from the away end as from the home stands.

The man who brought the Lancashire club a League Cup success during his time in charge knows the points will not be surrendered without a fight.

“Blackburn is going to be a very big day for me,” he said. “I had four very good years there. I enjoyed it there and worked with some great people from the chairman down.

“It is a big game for both clubs. Both clubs are desperate for a win, both clubs are maybe not playing with the kind of confidence they would want at this time, so it is a real pressure game.

“It is stand up and be counted and let’s see what we are all made of.”

2-1 to Rovers, Bellamy first and then Emerton / Dickov, Bramble red carded for kicking Dickov - let's hope for a bumper crowd, good reception for Souness and a late Christmas surprise for him - no points to take from East Lancs.

Then bring on Horwich Wanderers - hopefully they will have been stuffed by the scum and their losing streak is maintained agaisnt us .smile.gif

Dear Santa,

all I want for Christmas is a Rovers win. (If that's asking too much a night with a Swedish air-hostess will suffice)

I've been a good boy all year so you owe me this one!

3-2 to Rovers

I think the first is slightly more likely

Im going for a 1-1 draw.

Bob Flemming to hug random stranger in delight as Dickov equalises

"Okay, so we didn't have Damien Duff's flair or Dunny's but we'd added some seasoned professionals in Paul Dickov and Dominic Matteo in the summer and I felt I left a group of players that were better equipped than at any time I was at the club. ''

Amazingly naive comment! ohmy.gif

but i was drunk AT THE TIME unsure.gif

Who would have imagined when the fixtures where released what a crucial game the Boxing Day fixture would be. The main attraction at the time was a home fixture, but as usual events in football come up with strange coincidences.

During his reign as Rovers manager, Souness had been linked with every managerial vacancy going, but surprisingly no one saw the sudden departure to Newcastle.

Over the years, there have been a number of player transfers between Rovers and Newcastle, Jones, Given, Gallagher, but the most upsetting for Rovers supporters was the sale of Alan Shearer to Newcastle.

Over the years those wounds have started to heal and it would have been appropriate if Rovers could have given Shearer a farewell cheer in his last season, before retiring.

Since leaving Rovers Big Al, has had the habit of scoring on his visits to Ewood, however he will miss this game due to injury, but hopefully he will grace the ground to allow the fans to give him one last cheer of appreciation for all he did during his period at Rovers.

I don't however believe for one minute that Souness will get a cheer of appreciation from the fans. Football supporters are very fickle and they wont remember all that he did for Rovers in his first three years at Ewood, i.e. Promotion back to the Premier, Worthington Cup, finishing 6th and qualifying for Europe on two occasions. What the fans on Boxing Day will remember will be the last 12 months of unattractive football, the falling out with star players, the sale of Dunn, Duff and Cole and some very poor transfer deals.

In front of a near capacity crowd the result of this game could have a major impact on both managers. Whilst Rovers are desperate for points to climb out of the danger zone, Mark Hughes will be given time by the fans to resurrect the fortunes of Rovers, however, there are already rumblings of discontent from the Toon Army with Souness the target for most of their anger.

With the vast array of talent available to Souness, Newcastle should have the fire power to score, however I believe that there is a better team spirit at Ewood than St James's Park these days and I don't believe Rovers players will need firing up for this fixture as they attempt to put one over their old boss. I suspect, more than one of the current first team, having fallen out with Souness at some time, will be determined to pick up maximum points, which could result in an exciting afternoons entertainment, especially in the technical area, should Rovers be awarded a disputed free kick, or a penalty.

Something in my bones predicts a home win to Rovers, from a disputed penalty and Andy Todd getting the vital touch to spoil Souness's Christmas.

What is certain a defeat for Newcastle and both sets of supporters will be in Toon and singing from the same hymn sheet regarding a manager, who lady luck has deserted.

Rovers 2 Barcodes 0

Dickov (pen)

Todd (deflection off his hand, after Emerton corner to back post. ok Im being silly with the last bit)

MERRY CHRISTMAS

The gave will not be called off because of the pitch.

There are only two possible reasons.......

1) John Newsham and the safety team at the ground deem it to be unsafe in the stands and concourses (probably only the Riverside)

2) The police decide its to dangerous for the best part of 30,000 to descend of a snow bound Blackburn, given that the gritters have been out in force today I doubt this will be the case.

But I have been wrong before.

Anyone remember the last game that was called off cos of snow.

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.