BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

[Archived] Rovers 0 Chelsea 1

I watched the game last night and I thought that we were unlucky not to get a draw. We more than matched Chelsea, limited to only two meaningful chances, one being the goal, which Brad should have saved. We got stuck into them, which we needed to, if we were to get anything from the match. But there were times, when some of the players went over the top.

We had a great chance to draw level, but Cech made a brilliant save. Our defence looked solid enough, although Neill and Matteo did have their moments. I thought that Mokoena and Savage had good games in the midfield. Pedersen started well, but vanished in the second half and I'm surprised that Hughes didn't bring Johnson on. Dickov played okay, but there was one point that he could have easily played Steven Reid in for a one-on-one, but shot instead.

We must have another performance like this, if we are to get anything from our next match.

• Replies 355
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I thought it was good performance which we should be proud of, we made chelsea look very average and have proved that maybe they are not the force they think they are, as for the team we did well as a unit working hard in midfield savage made lampard and makelele look ordinary and when robben went off i thought that could have been a blessing in disguise but unfortunately not to be! Matteo has to go! he shouuld be the left back going out on loan not gray! the only critisism i had last night was the fact that hughes didn't make more changes later on in the game when we had nothing to lose. Nelsen was quality he look strong and steady as for steady he needs a run in the team and get him a goal sooner rather than later, else it could be bye bye to him in the summer!

There was a target man on the bench but he wasn't used.

AMORUSO

If he had come on up front for the last 10 to 15 minutes I reckon we may have got something out of the game.

Andy Townsend commentating here was also saying that. I'll admit it would have been interesting, he would have given Terry a scare.

Overall, unlucky, but who expected a win? It's the old complaint, we don't expect much then when we get beat it's a travesty. In this case though I think it's justified, we were hard done by and maybe on another day Makelele would have gone and we'd have had a last minute pen.

I'd agree with most comments regarding player ratings.

Friedel was definitely at fault. I too think he's lost something. He used to be invicible, maybe someone put some Kryptonite in his glove bag.

Neill wasn't that bad last night. He's improved immensely since Hughes came but will never be an Ashley Cole, he is good at tackling and heading; good qualities for a defender, but nothing else.

Todd and Nelsen were great, I think we've found our partnership.

Matteo: what can be said? Last night was one of his better performances. His banana booted ability to constantly leather it out of play instead of down the line and his severe lack of pace give hope to aged pub leaguers everywhere. A Souness classic. What is he earning again?

Savage and Mokoena look the business also, we will do well with a "spine" of these two and the central defenders, especially if we add a goalscorer in the summer.

Thompson was nothing short of pants. I'm surprised he came out for the second half. His touch, passing and tackling were way off.

MGP and Emerton did well. Our system doesn't let them play like Duff and Robben so you won't get the dribbling, but they will do well.

Dickov is a pain in the arse for us and them. He causes problems but can't shoot straight and gives away too many free kicks trying to push people twice his size.

cool.gif Enjoyed reading these post match comments. Interesting to see how we disagree, as if we have watched a different match. In the pub after then game a group of us all seemed to agree on:

Savage had a massive game

GMP had a massive first half

We love Dickov but as a striker he is useless (they are supposed to score goals not just wind up the centre backs)

Matteo yet again showed what total sh.... he is - there must be a slower more useless full back somewhere but we struggled to think of one

Emerton!!!!!!!!! After another brief period early this season when he showed he could play a bit' he is now back to being a total joke - he was so crap it was difficult to see why he was still on the pitch

Brad should have saved the goal

The Kiwi looks like Terminator

We didn't understand why Hughes didn't go for it in the last 15 minutes, he seemed happy with the 1-0 loss

Thommo is trying too hard and making silly mistakes, he needs to calm down a bit

Matteo: what can be said? Last night was one of his better performances. His banana booted ability to constantly leather it out of play instead of down the line and his severe lack of pace give hope to aged pub leaguers everywhere. A Souness classic. What is he earning again?

Classic! laugh.gif

Loved that one - cheers!

I agree with realbluesman's match analysis. Rovers could have played all night and still not scored. That said, 'twas still sth of a mystery the way Hughes seemed to be satisfied with 0-1 and no points rather than just going for it with 20 minutes to go. It must be part of his psychological preparation for the Burnley game (or sth).

And it has to be said that any Mirror reading Rovers fans simply HAVE to stop being one or the other. "Pack of mad dogs...savage assaults...90 minutes of ugliness...last night's savagery", etbloodycetera. Ollie Holt is clearly a corrupt tosser, who has taken the Abramovich shilling, but above and beyond that, his "report" was about a footy match, not genocide in Darfur. In a profession that should, as a rule, be ashamed of itself, Ollie puts the whole damn lo ot them to shame. Scum.

Savage looked more of a threat in the first half than Ferguson did in 18 months. Thompson wasn't good but then he was never going to get the space he thrives on in a 5 man midfield. Not sure what Mokoena's best position is?

It'll be interesting to see who Hughes opts for in centre midfield against Boro. Savage likes getting forward, so I wonder if playing him alongside Tommo would be too attack minded.

BTW: The commentators on the radio were saying that Tommo stormed down the tunnel on being subbed - did that really happen?

He took his time getting off the pitch and did disappear, not convinced he stormed but maybe Manchester Blue could see better from his perch....

He knew he had played badly.

He just spat his dummy but he didn't go down the tunnel. Clearly wasn't happy and it was all reminiscent of McAteer to me. A player who thinks he's much better than he really is and can't see any faults. If he would just do the simple thing at times it would be great but instead he always tries silly things that rarely come off and end up with us losing the ball. A very frustrating player at the moment.

Dickov played okay, but there was one point that he could have easily played Steven Reid in for a one-on-one, but shot instead.

I also noticed that one. Reid would have been one on one against Cech if Dickov would have passed it but he probably just decided to try and shoot it as hard as he can and hope that Cech is going spit it out to Reidy. Or then he just didn't see Steves movement...

Anyways I think that Dickov had a great game all in all and I doubt that any other of the strikers could have made such impact. Savage and Nelsen were the others that really stood out. I didn't notice whether Savage was a captain but he surely played like he would have been. A huge difference to a certain Glaswegian! One of the most telling moment was when he took Mokoena out of that argument that he was trying to have with Rennie. Less nagging and more football it is..

I also think that this formation can become a winner against the other top sides. It really wasn't that far that something would have happened. It is just that Thompson and Emerton should have provided more in to it. If Thompson would have had one of his better days I could have seen us scoring a few. And unless Thompson isn't going to find a bit of consistency in his game I'd like to see Reid or even Jansen tried at his position. I think that Jansen's strength in passing and creativity could be just what is needed to fill that position.

But yeah in the end, I enjoyed the game and hope to see more of the team. There's some certain class in there and I'm sure they're just gonna get better if Hughes stays at helm.

Saw the game on TV last night and i must say I felt a little "robbed" after the game. Not "The Bolton Diver"-robbed, but I feel it was a game we should have had at least a point from.

Rovers were on par with Chelsea, if not better at times. This may be because they never really looked that much of a threat gongi forward after Robben went of. They had their chances but not the fast paced counter attacks that Robben provided.

I do think that Friedel is to blame for the goal, he should have gotten it. The defeat comes from us not being able to convert a penalty, and the geneal "can't score thingy"

Friedel:

To blame for the goal, but not the defeat. Had a cople of good saves, and looked pretty solid after the goal. Not the Superman of two seasons ago, but still adept.

Neill

Willing to go forward, and defensly improving. He had a good game. Not really excelling, but noe major mistakes either.

Todd

Solid as ever! Got outrun by Robben for the goal, but who wouldn't be? I am extremly pleased that he has signed a new contract, and hope he doesn't get injured or looses his form this season. Got to be the fist name on the teamsheet. What did Souness think when he wanted to ship him out....

Nelsen

One word: IMMENSE! Todd and Nelsen have got to play together next game too. Looked solid the entire game, and never looked like putting a foot wrong. To illustrate how Husghes has improved our defence, just look at Nelsens performance against Chelsea and compare it to any Amo-game....

Matteo

Why? Why?!? Why does he play? I mean, anybody has to be better than this oaf. His distribution is not good, and can only be described with one word; Hoofing. He has no pace, and that means NO pace. He would be out run by a dead snail.

Emerton

Is a good player, with skills. But this game he showed none. He seemed scared to take players on, and just stopped when he met a Chelsea player. His rossing was poor too. i'm sure he will find his form again, but this game was poor.

Savage

Good game, got us a penalty and had a couple of dangerous shots on goal. A true battler, disrupting the opposition build up. Did just what he was brouth to Rovers to do; Be the midfield hard man.

Mokoena

Ugly tacke on Robben, disappeared sometimes but had an overall good game. Together wtih Savage he provided defensive stability to the midfield. Looks a good buy, I think he will improve.

Tommo

Put in lot of effort, but didnæt have a good game. Gave away many silly balls, poor passing. A lot of running about, but not much to show for it, should have been taken of at half-time

MGP

Great frist half, created about 90% of our offensive plays that half. Became more anonymous in the second. He was clearly not comfortable on the right wing whan swappin with Emerton. Is the "nod the ball out of the keepers hands" even allowed? That said Makelele should have been booked for the shove.

Dickov

A pest as usual, ticking the Chelsea defence of a lot! He shoul have put the penalty away. No matter who's in goal, PENALTY = GOAL. He holds the ball up very well, but he can't finish. Dickov as a lone striker is not an option I would like to see again. Several times he took a shot when he could have passed to a team mate, most notalby to Reid. An OK game, he needs a striking partner.

Savage looked more of a threat in the first half than Ferguson did in 18 months. Thompson wasn't good but then he was never going to get the space he thrives on in a 5 man midfield. Not sure what Mokoena's best position is?

It'll be interesting to see who Hughes opts for in centre midfield against Boro. Savage likes getting forward, so I wonder if playing him alongside Tommo would be too attack minded.

BTW: The commentators on the radio were saying that Tommo stormed down the tunnel on being subbed - did that really happen?

He took his time getting off the pitch and did disappear, not convinced he stormed but maybe Manchester Blue could see better from his perch....

He knew he had played badly.

He just spat his dummy but he didn't go down the tunnel. Clearly wasn't happy and it was all reminiscent of McAteer to me. A player who thinks he's much better than he really is and can't see any faults. If he would just do the simple thing at times it would be great but instead he always tries silly things that rarely come off and end up with us losing the ball. A very frustrating player at the moment.

I think that if Thommo was angry it was probably with himself. He had a poor game and I think he knew it. He probably wanted to stay on to try to rectify the situation. There's no harm in a bit of passion.

I didn't expect to get anything at all from the game last night. Thank God the team didn't have the same feeling as I did.

Chelsea are a class team on their day, there's no doubt about it.

Their goal proves it, we lost possession and it only took them three passes if that to get it to Robeen who scored a good goal. People are blaming Friedel, I'd like to see it again before commenting on it.

The penalty incident. I haven't had chance to see any of the highlights so I don't know whether it was or it wasn't. However I was appealing for it when the incident occured.

Dickov rushed his penalty I thought, he could have been a little more composed perhaps. Great save for Cech.

That was the turning point in the game, from then on I knew we weren't going to get anything.

Lucas Neill, I do really wonder at times how he became a professional footballer never mind getting a place in the team every week. He's just been awful this season.

Even though we lost, I came away from the game having belief in the team that there's players now in the side who are willing to give everything to for the club.

Blackburn 0-1 Chelsea

Rubbish, what you mean is you can not admit you were wrong.  Great players don't suddenly become crap over a couple of months (Injuries excepted).  He's been lacking fundamentals forever, getting by with spectacular reflex saves.  Now those are going, and have been for some time, he does not have much left to offer since his basics are dodgy.

I mentioned this over and over starting early last season but you would not have it would you, well if it makes you feel better we can all pretend it's only been recent, after all "what can a yank know about footy" (even though I am not)  Enjoy your pie, you know, the humble one.

Good grief - what a pathetic post. Still, no surprise.

Friedel's fundamentals (whatever they are) have been fine throughout his time at the club. He's had bad patches of form over the last two years, but he's also had many more games when he's been outstanding.

He's currently in another bad patch. If that means he's been crap for ages in your opinion then that's up to you. I don't agree.

Oh, and what does being a "Yank" have to do with it? You've got more chips on your shoulders than McCain's.

Every time you do this. Would you act differnetly if I cahnged my user name to BangladeshBlue. What does being a yank have to do with it you ask? check some of your old posts and you will know. Every difference of opinion I have to you is met with hostility and some form of insult or attempted degradation.

I don't agree with you either or your idiotic earlier post that I responded to. However I would not start my response in the completely immature way you did, ever. We both know the truth don't we Scotty.

It was also interesting to see that Hughes didn't have Stead, Bothroyd or Gallagher on the bench. They haven't been performing and didn't deserve a place on the bench and this must have been Hughes thoughts. I do agree with this, but it did cut down other possible attacking options.

rover.gif i went to last nights match to enjoy it whatever the outcome,was pleasently surprised how well we did.

hughes has set about his task at rovers well,making us hard to score against with a strong defensive unit.i reckon the attacking bit will have to wait till next season,dickov tries his best but is not a lone target man/prolific goalscorer.

i was very surprised with our tactics last night,but we are getting a name as a very hard team.the tactics were right as we knocked the chelski out off there stride,savage tried to decapitate duffer once or twice but it worked,he went into his shell as he did from time to time at ewood.

the celebration's at the end by chelski shows how much it meant to them,they won a tough game and matched us for effort and team spirit-worthy champions tinykit.gif

Am I the only one who thinks that if Lucas was the one who let Robben make him look silly, Brad wouldn't be getting all of the blame for the goal like he is?

It was Todd, and I agree somewhat, but he still should have saved it. It wasn't as bad as Dudek's gaff on Rooney's goal, but it went straight under his arm, and is one he know's he should have stopped.

I think it's time we accept that Brad's stellar play of 3 years ago (league and World Cup), may have set the bar a bit high in terms of our expectations.

Classic! laugh.gif

Loved that one - cheers!

The Scottish Stig Inge Bjornebye...?

Let's leave the theatre of the absurd and return to something closer to reality. biggrin.gif

A couple of weeks ago, I suggested Chelsea's routine 2-1 win at OT was the iconic passing of an old era and the start of the new.

Reading this report, perhaps I picked the wrong match as the icon! What with The Times waxing lyrical about nudity as a sign of strength (a propos Chelsea returning bare chested to the Ewood dressing room), and the more appropriate parallels being drawn between Ewood two nights ago and Goodison in April '95, maybe Wednesday night's game is the one for the myths and history books?

I hope you are wrong Philip. Gotta say I've just read a few posts on a Chelsea mb and they are piggin unreal. They know absolutely sweet FA about football. I swear most of em sound like their interest was only kindled when the Russian gangster turned up. Much as I hate the 'snivelling best mates of the playground bully at school' stereotype Mancs, I have to say that at least they have some 'history' and football knowledge. This lot all sound like clones of Charles Haughtry and Kenneth Williams. They are so false that if Abromovich had put his money in the Royal Ballet they'd all be going there.

Puffs to the North and Puffs to the South I'm afraid. sad.gif

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.