SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

Souness Out!

LeftWinger

• Replies 1.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Dave, for someone who feels this thread should be shut and is pointless you don’t half keep posting in it..... The thread will die a natural death very soon.... while its a hot topic leave it alone! Have your say and leave it at that stop dictating what the rest of us should and shouldn't post.

Opps I’m in trouble now.... criticising a regular. Tut.Tut.

Edited by OscarRaven

Newcastle usher in new manager

Source: Reuters Feb. 3rd 2006 (No really wink.gif )

Newcastle United have not wasted any time in announcing their new manager after the sacking of Graeme Souness. In a surprise move, Newcastle's controversial chairman Freddie Sheppard has recruited a complete unknown-South African Coco De Clown. Mr. De Clown had previously been manager of South African team Kaiser Chiefs, and had won 3 South African FA cups before resigning his post early this morning.

A delighted Freddie Sheppard siad of Mr. De Clown "He has a quality track record that speaks for itself. He will fit in at Newcastle, as he is a born entertainer, loves life and has a big red nose like Alex Ferguson. A big club like Newcastle needs an innovative coach to revive it's fortunes, and Coco is definately innovative."

user posted image

Coco De Clown: 'Innovative coach'

Indeed, it is Mr. De Clown's training methods that have caused much concern for the belegured Geordies. Whilst at Kaiser Chiefs, there were many stories that training sessions included gamboling in the penalty area, custard pie throwing and goalkeepers practicing their throwing with buckets of glitter. The stories had caused much controversy in South Africa, along with other similar tales such as the players having to wear oversized shoes, and the team coach being replaced by a mini in which the wheels and the bonnet can fall off at any given moment.

The appointment has already caused a stir with Newcastle's next opponents, Portsmouth. Harry Redknapp has let it be known that he "wasn't impressed" with the choice of manager, and labelled Freddie Sheppard a "collosal tw_t" for appointing an unknown foreigner before eating a live Barn Owl whole.

user posted image

Harry: 'Not Impressed'

Edited by Billy Castell

Very harsh but true article about Souness. Yes he did have some success with us and we are all grateful for that but his move to Newcastle has only proved even further that he has lost it. He signs crap players with the occassionally gem in as well e.g. Friedel for us, Owen for them. His lack of future planning has cost him dearly and it is obvious that him and Deano 'champagne' Saunders do not know how to hold a training session. Sparky pretty much said that when he joined Rovers.

Very good article on Souness. I honestly wish the bloke the best, whatever he does in the future, as long as he stays away from Ewood Park.

Edited by ihatethedingles

I feel so sorry for Derby County fans if they end up with him in charge. Derby will be going down if he joins. League One next season will have some fairly big stadiums in it, Pride Park, Galfarm, City Ground, the new Swansea stadium etc.

Is it true that Souness has said thats enough for him in football and retired. Its what i have been hearing off people at the sixth form i go to.

Just got to put my two cents worth in here.

I really can't understand the venom that has been directed a Souness on here.

He took over from Kidd when we were close to rock bottom and heading for the (what is now) the first division.

He got rid of the dead wood that Kidd had brought in - Peacock, Dailly, Davidson, Grayson - come on remember that lot of clowns?

The next season he got us promoted back to the Premiership.

Then he took us to Cardiff and won the League cup.

Then we finished sixth in the Prem.

Then of course it all went downhill, and he's repeated himself at Newcastle with strange team selections/substitutions and "Lady Luck" has been replaced with "injury crisis."

We've got a lot to thank him for.

I don't feel sorry for him because he's going to be trousering a few million from fat Freddy's coffers and will never need to work again, unlike the rest of us who will (with a few exceptions,) will have to toil away in the glue factory until we are able to retire.

As a completely separate issue, which of course it is, is the fate of NUFC.

Gray has been vital to our success, and although he can be defensively suspect sometimes he offers so much going forward.

TAKE HIM OFF THE LIST!

381355[/snapback]

Alright, I bow to public pressure! Gray is no longer a waster but I'm still not sure he's the long-term solution for the team but he's the best option we've got right now.

Just to respond to Colin, I don't see why Rovers fans have to be so partizan about Souness. There's no need to detest him or conversely, love him.

You're right, he did some good things for Blackburn. Just like Gerard Houllier did some good things for Liverpool (won stuff, bought some decent players). However, when you look at Souness' period in charge as a whole, I believe that you can only come to the conclusion that he is not a very good manager - not even a good manager. His stint at Newcastle has only reinforced that opinion I have of him.

Edited by rover6

There's is one thing we've got to be thankful to Souness for. Signing Mark Hughes. If he hadn't I doubt very much that we'd have Sparky at the helm right now. For that I'm grateful. Oh and 3 great days/nights at Deepdale, The Millenium Stadium and White Hart Lane.

Roeder is on SSN saying fans never falterd from 52,000 in 45 years

LOL LOL LOL LOL

Top 5 lowest averages for a season...

LOWEST AVERAGE

1    16,883 1990/91

2    17,350 1980/81

3    17,736 1981/82

4    20,926 1978/79

5    21,656 1987/88

NUFF SAID

381513[/snapback]

Hate to say it, but we'd be thrilled to have number 5 as our average this season...

Have to say, I find Jan's post disturbing, she genuinely seems to be unhinged on this topic. Surprising for someone on a 6 figure salary blah-de-blah.

Anyone wishing ill on Graeme obviously has a very distorted, warped outlook on life. Mind you, living in newcastle, that might be understandable.

Colin, it didn't take a managerial genius to turn Rovers around. Any supporter with a bit of football nous knew which deadwood had to be cleared out and Souness had the great fortune to inherit Jansen, Duff and Dunn as they were approaching their peak.

In Souness's favour, in addition to promotion and the League Cup triumph I'll never forget Rovers' performance at Celtic Park when we played some of the best football I have seen from the men in the famous blue and white shirts. However, the manner of his departure, and the state he left the club in, left a sour taste, hence the continuing opprobrium.

Souness was a controversial player and he caused strong feeling among supporters in his managerial career. I think he rather enjoyed it.

Hate to say it, but we'd be thrilled to have number 5 as our average this season...

381699[/snapback]

Didn't Newcastle only upgrade to 52000 in about 2001? At Euro 96 SJP was only around a 35k stadium.

Where do they get all their fans from? Newcastles actually a suprisingly small city I think, only about 270k, and in the NE generally there aren't that many people. But I suppose they only really have Newcastle, Sunderland and Boro to choose from...

As someone who was never in favour of the appointment, I take no pleasure in Souness's dismissal. I'm just pleased that many supporters have changed their minds about him. As for Souness, he's just been paid 18 months approx salary as a manager and a big pay off when he was probably within a couple of weeks of being sacked by us.

The biggest clown in the Newcastle situation is Shepherd who sacked Robson before getting his replacement ligned up ( Radio Lancs tonight argued that Bruce had been the number 1 choice).

I feel so sorry for Derby County fans if they end up with him in charge. Derby will be going down if he joins. League One next season will have some fairly big stadiums in it, Pride Park, Galfarm, City Ground, the new Swansea stadium etc.

Is it true that Souness has said thats enough for him in football and retired. Its what i have been hearing off people at the sixth form i go to.

381641[/snapback]

dry.gif why???

who took us up? cool.gifrover.gif

dry.gif why???

who took us up? cool.gif  rover.gif

381718[/snapback]

I don't think Saunders was there then. Or if he was he was just trying to get fit.

(Derby are looking at Saunders not Sourmess- they don't have the money to waste on Sourpuss)

rover.gif i hate newcastle with a vengence,and they deserved sourpuss but as a major critic off him in his last 18 months at ewood i still cannot dislike him.you have to remenber gs did a fantastic job at ewood till he got too big for the club.i blame rob coar and j.willams for not having the balls to stand up to him,we all know the story off how he sent williams away from brockhall for visiting!!!!!!!!!!

i can remenber in turkey when menbers off this board were playing fans off gencer and rovers first team were trianing on the next pitch,gs was running round the outskirts off the pitch whilst the team trained,he looked at all the camera crews and i could see him thinking to his self-why are all those crews watching fans and not one filming my team?the guy loves attention.

i fell out with him after the soton away game were he threatened the soton coach,to me it was a disgrace and bullying.i hated how he sold dunn and duff and wasted the money on rangers rejects,but he still had 3 good seasons at ewood and them are the ones i will remenber tinykit.gif

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.