BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

[Archived] Lucas Neill

I'm not certain about Liverpool being his next destination. A certain Mr Neeskins, now employed at Barca, made a special trip to see this game.

That is obviously a massive move for Lucas, I would much rather see him go there instead of Liverpool.

Where would he play though? There is no room anywhere on the backline they currently have.

• Replies 1.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

That's probably his most valuable asset, Neekoy - since he can play in all positions in the back four - he would be a good squad player for them for £3m or so. He's a better footballer than e.g. Oleguer, and in my opinion not behind players like Belletti, van Bronckhorst or Silvinho in overall quality. Would rather see him sign for someone like them than Liverpool too..

You appear to be right Dave. Neeskins also said that "Rijkaard is watching him very closely".

Straight swap for Puyol or Marquez maybe? :D

That is not a bad shout, somerset...not a bad shout at all. if barca do show interest in lucas and make some kind of offer for him in january, then if i am the boss, then i would be inclined to say forget the transfer fee, give us marquez (for example) as a straight swap.

if he does go to barca, nobody can blame him at all. what a move it would be for the lad. playing in the nou camp every other week, a luxurious house on the east coast there and a salary that would have every chance of doubling. i am dissapointed though that he is making more noises publicly about being unhappy and wanting to leave....other than that, i say good luck to the lad.

People seem to be forgetting one key element if Barca are indeed interested...

Come January, Barcelona would be free to sign a pre-contract in January that would see him move to the Nou Camp for nothing in the summer. Barcelona get him for free, Lucas gets a bumper signing on fee (as happens with all Bosmans) and possibly a larger salary.

I can't see why we'd recieve a significant fee for him should Barcelona come in for him. We'd have a far better chance if Liverpool came in for him as you can only pre-negotiate Bosmans with teams from another country (I think anyway...maybe I'm thinking of a different rule).

If Neill were to go to Barca, he'd have to get past Puyol, Marquez, Olegeur, Zambrotta, Silvinho, Belleti, Thuram, Van Bronckhorst and maybe even Edmilson - good luck to him! An exchange for any of those players, with Silvinho being the most realistic would be a good deal.

looks like our neil has hit the big time clubs like milan, liverpool and the european champions barcelona, they dont get much bigger than that. im suprised united hant had a look at him for nevilles replacement. we could be in for big money here a bidding war or maybe some very good swap deals.

You appear to be right Dave. Neeskins also said that "Rijkaard is watching him very closely".

Straight swap for Puyol or Marquez maybe? :D

Pah, swap deal for Ronaldiniho.

For me Lucas should not play for the club again let alone be captin. Give it to someone who wants to play for the club, ie Savage. He has made it obvious that he does not want to play for Blackburn Rovers.

Whilst I don't begrudge Neill for having ambitions to play for a club that challenges for titles and so on, but his constant contact with the media is very annoying. All he is doing is making himself look a bit arrogant, and that he doesn't give a monkey's about his current club. I wish he said his bit at the beginning of the season, and left it at that.

Anyway, who'll replace him? Can anyone think of a decent young player in the lower leagues, or at Dymamo Turnip that can develop into a star? Can McEverley or Taylor make the step up?

Whilst I don't begrudge Neill for having ambitions to play for a club that challenges for titles and so on, but his constant contact with the media is very annoying. All he is doing is making himself look a bit arrogant, and that he doesn't give a monkey's about his current club. I wish he said his bit at the beginning of the season, and left it at that.

My thoughts exactly.

can;t really blame Neil, every week Blackburn are saying how much they will try to keep Neill, he has made it simple, he has had five years and wants to move on.

don't thik he's good enough for Barca or Milan, will probably have a bad month get sent off and make mistakes and get dropped for good

but he has served his time

Maybe all the past doubters will now recognise that Lucas is one of the best defenders around.

Why? Because Barcelona are interested?

Surely in that case by that logic you must rate Boumsong pretty highly too seeing as he has just moved to Juve?

Neill is a good defender: reliable, determined and seemingly impervious to injury...but not a great player by any stretch of the imagination.

Why? Because Barcelona are interested?

Surely in that case by that logic you must rate Boumsong pretty highly too seeing as he has just moved to Juve?

Neill is a good defender: reliable, determined and seemingly impervious to injury...but not a great player by any stretch of the imagination.

No, not because Barcelona are rumoured to be interested, nor did I even hint that he was great.

He has however, been slagged to death by some people on here. What I said was that he's one of the best defenders around. I'll stick to that. His performances have been excellent for a long time. -in my opinion, of course. We would struggle to find someone as good as Neill. Don't forget, he can play anywhere along the back four also.

I agree that he is a good defender and his utility along the back four is invaluable. However, if he leaves (and he is obviously is going to) then he can be replaced. However, with all this mention of Liverpool, Barca and Milan after him I do think he is starting to be overrated by some.

In his years at Rovers he had at least two average seasons. That was when Neill was mainly slagged off, other than that it seems to be because he can't stop telling reporters that he doesn't particularly want to be here.

If he leaves, we shouldn't find it too difficult to replace him.

Edited by FourLaneBlue

err how many times did you watch him playing for rangers?

he was so crap that he arrived on a free and left for £8.5m less than 6 months later.

A certain Mr 'Somewhat Suspicious Connections to Rangers' Souness might have had something to do with that though.

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.