BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

[Archived] Poll - Falling Attendances.

Tris

What do you think is the biggest contributing factor in the alarming decrease in our crowds?  

254 members have voted

1. 1. What do you think is the biggest contributing factor in the alarming decrease in our crowds?

• Overprice tickets
    • Poor standard of entertainment
    • Lack of atmosphere these days
    • Petty stewards
    • No terracing
    • Unable to identify with players these days
    • Too much football on TV

This poll is closed to new votes

Ozzie Jones said....

I was merely saying I wish every away game following we had was like that of Huddersfields last night.

That`s easily solved.

Lower the prices & more people will be able to afford to attend away games! smile.gif

Rovers have the 'potential' following IF the prices are right.

I`d bet that if Wigan offered us £10 a ticket for the game at their gaff, we could easily sell 5000-8000.....or how many tickets they offer us.

....Infact, why doesn`t BRISA approach the club (& Wigan`s own supporters association) & ask them to offer Wigan a deal "Let`s both do a tenner a ticket & a pound for kids" for both games?

The 1st meeting (home) isn`t until 31st Dec, so there`s plenty of time for arranging any deal. The away game isn`t until 1st April.

It would be a great moral boost for the fans, teams, clubs & BRISA tinykit.gif to have a set of local derbies played infront of packed houses.

Imagine a 30,000 sell-out game at Ewood, which BRISA can boast, they had a big part in setting up!!?????

BRISA??? anybody listening???? unsure.gif

• Replies 1.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

IMO he is spot on, not sure it will ever be reality though..

The problem is that alot of players might move aboad to earn the big bucks, but I like the idea in general.

Not sure if I'm correct here, but doesnt most PL clubs use something like 70%-80% of their turnover to pay player wages?

Edited by krislu

The annoying factor too all this though, is why its taken any of them (bar the fans) to realise the problems.

Fans have been commenting on it for past few seasons in some format or other, and have finaly said enough is enough.

All the stuff coming out in the media and the official numpties is all token gesture in my book after the horse has bolted.

Alot of the stayaways in my book will probably not bother now, or not as much anyway and that is now the diffcult part.

The big mistake they are making is they are primarily blaming it on price, when in all respects its a combination of many things inc price v entertatinment (refs/rules/attitudes/salaries/atmosphere/sanitised football/over exposure etc.... add your own as you see fit)

All the stuff coming out in the media and the official numpties is all token gesture in my book after the horse has bolted.

348688[/snapback]

Agreed. I've been really incensed this week by how this has suddenly become the hot topic with all the media. Football fans have been telling anyone who would listen (in other words other fans) where the problems lay for at leats 2, if not 3 years.

Of course this is the problem as well - it's now a "hot topic". We will be treated to some window dressing and that will be it.

BTW - agree with the rest of the post CK.

£10 for Wigan and £1 for the kids. Absolutely, lets pack Ewood and really see out the old year in style. Have to admit I thought it was at their place on NYE sad.gif

Ozzie Jones said....

That`s easily solved.

Lower the prices & more people will be able to afford to attend away games!  smile.gif

Rovers have the 'potential' following IF the prices are right.

I`d bet that if Wigan offered us £10 a ticket for the game at their gaff, we could easily sell 5000-8000.....or how many tickets they offer us.

....Infact, why doesn`t BRISA approach the club (& Wigan`s own supporters association) & ask them to offer Wigan a deal "Let`s both do a tenner a ticket & a pound for kids" for both games?

The 1st meeting (home) isn`t until 31st Dec, so there`s plenty of time for arranging any deal. The away game isn`t until 1st April.

It would be a great moral boost for the fans, teams, clubs & BRISA tinykit.gif  to have a set of local derbies played infront of packed houses.

Imagine a 30,000 sell-out game at Ewood, which BRISA can boast, they had a big part in setting up!!?????

BRISA??? anybody listening????  unsure.gif

348675[/snapback]

No way on earth we'd take more than 5,000 to Wigan.

All kids should be free, full stop. They can start paying round about age 12-14 (or rather be paid for). I'd imagine after a few years of free tickets, the child is rather decided on whether or not the life in the blue and white cloth is for him.

TNR I'd go for the idea as well. I believe the children are our future, teach them well and let them lead the way.

Seriously though why not suggest it to the club?

I'm in agreeance of the importance of kids. Take the Spurs game; I went as usual with my family, all Rovers fans, as well as a mate of my Dad's and his kid. Whilst the kid liked playing football they didn't really follow a team, although the Dad sadly was a Spurs sympathiser. Within 20 minutes the kid was loving it and cheering on rovers, and really got behind the team, even though it was their first competative game they'd seen live. A few more games and I reckon they'll be a strong Rovers supporter. I think we tend to forget that there is still some magic in football and that kids can still be hooked. Get kids down there for a few games - like everything else in football youth seems to be the way forward. We could be getting lifetimes of support at the expense of a few cheap tickets. Definately worth looking into IMO.

I felt sorry for the Huddersfield fans last night. They turned up in there thousands and it was a shame there wasn't alot of Rovers fans there and it could have been a good atmosphere. Possibly there biggest game of the season and it's played out in front of 5 thousand home fans and 20 thousand empty seats.

Yeah.  You still in?

348680[/snapback]

I remember the question "What cause can BRISA as an organisation realistically 'champion'??" at one of the meetings.

I think the idea of 'doing a deal' with Wigan & Rovers to make football cheaper & pack out both stadiums is very achievable, newsworthy & would put BRISA on the map.

At the end of the day, the chairmen of both clubs have been quoted as saying "football is too expensive & something must be done"

Let`s see if they mean what they say by challenging them to do something about it!!

thumbs-up.giftinykit.gifthumbs-up.gif

At the end of the day the only real solution to the problem is to implement an american style system. By doing so the money would be more evenly distributed throughout the league, star players wouldn't be stolen away nearly so quickly, player power would be diminished and the league would be more competitive. Until probably all of those key points are met then we won't see any major changes to the trend of falling attendances. Why go and watch a football team when you can only expect your team to win 30% of their games (if that)? Why go and support a team when any developing hero or star player will be stolen away within a few months of becoming a real talent? Why bother paying so much when you can basically predict the result of the entire season before a single ball has been kicked? Those are the problems that need to be addressed, I'm afraid price restructuring and more attacking football simply won't do it.

Like it matters

Alldayer round Wigan and see new year in over there

Anyone up for it?

348716[/snapback]

There lies a reason why the clubs wont reduce prices.

Dont get me wrong I like a drink as much as the next person, but why would the clubs reduce prices if fans can afford to go on the booze all day.

Representatives from clubs and the police read sites like this, so with the knowledge that fans are going to be drunk, increased stewarding and security will have to be costed for. Wigan already pay excessive police costs, so why would they reduce ticket costs for a local derby where extra police is going to be needed.

I'm not having a go at you dan, but its one of the reasons that I and many more supporters have stopped going to away games. Why should we pay £30 a ticket and end up sitting next to a bunch of p##### up blokes who spoil the enjoyment of trying to watch a game of football.

I agree Alan.

Of all the column acres being written about falling attendances, this article hits the nail on the head. Football is about suspension of reality and being entertained in the process.

Both those franchises are being removed from the Premiership.

Here's to Rovers winning at Old Trafford and dreaming returning to our national game.

There lies a reason why the clubs wont reduce prices.

Dont get me wrong I like a drink as much as the next person, but why would the clubs reduce prices if fans can afford to go on the booze all day.

Representatives from clubs and the police read sites like this, so with the knowledge that fans are going to be drunk, increased stewarding and security will have to be costed for. Wigan already pay excessive police costs, so why would they reduce ticket costs for a local derby where extra police is going to be needed.

I'm not having a go at you dan, but its one of the reasons that I and many more supporters have stopped going to away games. Why should we pay £30 a ticket and end up sitting next to a bunch of p##### up blokes who spoil the enjoyment of trying to watch a game of football.

348814[/snapback]

But surely in the early years of the Premiership when cheaper prices were abundant people were just as able to drink all day then. To suggest clubs are kepping prices artificially high just to curb all-day drinkin is fanciful to say the least. Let's face it football is a far more family friendly day out than it was 10 years ago let alone 20.

But surely in the early years of the Premiership when cheaper prices were abundant people were just as able to drink all day then.  To suggest clubs are kepping prices artificially high just to curb all-day drinkin is fanciful to say the least.  Let's face it football is a far more family friendly day out than it was 10 years ago let alone 20.

348816[/snapback]

Im not setting an arguement that clubs are setting prices artificially high just to curb drinking. Clubs have driven prices high to accomodate the high wages demanded by players, and the overall running costs of the clubs.

What Im attempting to say is, that why would clubs reduce ticket costs when they can see that fans are already planning 3 months in advance a booze induced day out. By reading such comments on messageboards the clubs know they have the customer lined up, but they also have to inclue contingency costs for controlling a high attendance where a number of supporters are going to be intoxicated.

With regards to the earlier days of the premiership, most grounds were terraced and the sober supporter who wanted to watch the game could move away from the drunk. Now with seating, there is no choice. You have to put up with the loud mouth sat next to you.

At lease at home games, if you have a season ticket, you know who your sat next to for the season, whilst at away games your herded into the stadium and are forced to sit next to some spotty faced chav, who cant hold his drink or if your unlucky some bird, who screams everytime our Norwegian Beckham smiles in her direction.

Im not setting an arguement that clubs are setting prices artificially high just to curb drinking. Clubs have driven prices high to accomodate the high wages demanded by players, and the overall running costs of the clubs.

What Im attempting to say is, that why would clubs reduce ticket costs when they can see that fans are already planning 3 months in advance a booze induced day out. By reading such comments on messageboards the clubs know they have the customer lined up, but they also have to inclue contingency costs for controlling a high attendance where a number of supporters are going to be intoxicated.

With regards to the earlier days of the premiership, most grounds were terraced and the sober supporter who wanted to watch the game could move away from the drunk. Now with seating, there is no choice. You have to put up with the loud mouth sat next to you.

At lease at home games, if you have a season ticket, you know who your sat next to for the season, whilst at away games your herded into the stadium and are forced to sit next to some spotty faced chav, who cant hold his drink or if your unlucky some bird, who screams everytime our Norwegian Beckham smiles in her direction.

348821[/snapback]

You certainly seem to be suggesting that ticket prices are remaining high because of people who like a drink. When we suggest pubs that we are meeting in because we think it would be good to meet up we always thought we were being sociable. Instead it seems we are just keeping the prices high instead!

In fairness Alan I take your point about some of the scrotes that have taken to following the club of late but I think you are wrong to lump all those who like a day on the beer in with them. Many of the people on this board meet up and the vast majority are fine at the games after a few beers. The idiots are often the same beer or not and I think people should refrain from tarring all with the same brush.

We are still a lot better than most clubs for how friendly our fans are and I don't think we should lose sight of this because of a few muppets.

Edited by Manchester Blue

My apologies for "tarring all with the same brush", it was not intended that way.

Those that know me, would know that I enjoy a pint before and after a game. However as you stated, like the majority of supporters I dont drink to a point that I spoil the entertainment of those sat around me.

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.