SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

[Archived] Wigan Athletic (0-3) Rovers

cn174

• Replies 281
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

For some reason today felt a bit like the old days- the 90s, not the 70s or 80s. Tough, professional football, a great following and a real sense of good days ahead. I wasn't too pleased with some of the showboating late on when we could have gone on to score more goals.

No complaints though - the white burgundy is slipping down just fine.

Happy NEw Year.

Ps The small knott of Wigan youth to our left did their club no favours with their "Town full of Pakis" chant.

Pie scam was cruel, if he agreed in print to provide free pies and then went back on it I will be speaking to my solicitor who is of course a Rovers fan but more importantly a pie guru.

Apperantlley there was a tent with beer under the visitors stand (I did not see it) did anybody see it - does it exsist or was it shamefull bull from a wigan fan.

Great result - 50 pound looks safe based on thier rapidly declining attendances - Wigan fans - nice people but crap football fans.

Stewards particulary over the top yet again. Great goals, 2 x celebration straight in front of me so no doubt will make match of the day, shame im not gonna be in.

Well done 5200 rovers fans, great craic in crap conditions

'The Marquee' was a bar built into the North Stand in a similar fashion to the Blues Bar. Pretty big inside and nicely done, although the beer was a bit pricey.

Rather confusing. I was expecting a big beer tent in the car park or something.

Best New Year's present.

Brilliant performance. We ran them ragged and we started like a house on fire and didnt let them have a sniff for about 15 minutes.

Overall was really impressed with the defence, which looked a good closed unit. Gray particularly looked good going forward and has cemented his place. In midfield Savage really worked hard and Bentley had one of his better games for us. MGP faded in and out but with the goal he scored, we can cut him some slack. His record of winning every match during which he has scored continues.

Up front, great work from both lads, and Bellamy has a touch of class about him. But he has yet to score a meaningful goal for us if Im not mistaken, other than the goal against Chelsea, all of his goals have come when the result was already in hand.

Great work. Now another win against a rejuvanated Pompey on Monday and it wouldve been a perfect end to the Xmas period.

Sky spoke to him before the match at Old Trafford a couple of weeks ago. Said that he supported Blackburn. Well if he does perhaps he could bail the club out of the sorry situation we find ourselves in.

370169[/snapback]

MODS, make this pillock go away

Anyone else find this matchreport strangely negative, despite a by al accounts impressive performance from us? Wigan fan in disbelief that Rovers (Who knows nothing but fouls and red cards) could ever play football and beat his beloved top half side? The fact that we won obviously couldn't be down to the fact that we are a good team, but is all due to the fact that we had a bit more rest...

http://www.premierleague.com/fapl.rac?comm...port&id=2529518

Just listened to Lawro on MOTD, complementing our team through gritted teeth.

Love to know how fast that ball left Reid's boot.

370342[/snapback]

I thought that goal was good when I saw it this afternoon from behind the goal but it looked even better on MOTD.

Reid's goal - after seeing it on MOTD, was I the only one reminded of Shearer's vs QPR all those years ago, how the camera followed it but found it already in the net? It was better if you were there though!

Agree with most of Rev's earlier post too. Savage wasn't especially outstanding but the way he is all over the shop is remarkable. Reid similar. And a mention to Gray as well : not his biggest fan, but thought he was excellent today, maybe our Man of the Match.

Just IMHO but I don't think I have ever seen a player kick a ball so hard and so fast in all my life as Reid did today.

It was a fantastic strike. Plus he did it with a Wigan player bearing down on him at top speed.

Just like after the Fulham match we seem to have "two goals of the season" in a single game, because MGP's was an equal of the one he scored against Fulham.

Just IMHO but I don't think I have ever seen a player kick a ball so hard and so fast in all my life as Reid did today.

It was a fantastic strike. Plus he did it with a Wigan player bearing down on him at top speed.

Just like after the Fulham match we seem to have "two goals of the season" in a single game, because MGP's was an equal of the one he scored against Fulham.

370358[/snapback]

That's his one trick though - can't chip/loft, curl, cross or place the ball, but he can thump it. You've gotta love him, he's limited, but tries his heart out.

Anyone else find this matchreport strangely negative, despite a by al accounts impressive performance from us? Wigan fan in disbelief that Rovers (Who knows nothing but fouls and red cards) could ever play football and beat his beloved top half side? The fact that we won obviously couldn't be down to the fact that we are a good team, but is all due to the fact that we had a bit more rest...

http://www.premierleague.com/fapl.rac?comm...port&id=2529518

370340[/snapback]

Several reports I have read/heard have put the whole thing down to our not having to play Sunderland. Funny it did not do much for Bolton, Boro or the Geordies. Don't believe I heard any mention of It benefiting Charlton.

They just can't seem to give us any credit, the media, can they.

What a win! smile.gif

Best result so far along with the win at Old trafford, and against Charlton. Wigan were on a real run having beaten a number of upper half teams.

Then again, we only won due to Sven Goran Eriksson ! biggrin.gif

Perhaps England manager Sven-Goran Eriksson does have something to answer for as a buoyant, bubbly Blackburn won 3-0 against a weary Wigan at the JJB Stadium.

http://soccernet.espn.go.com/report?id=185201&cc=4716

Several reports I have read/heard have put the whole thing down to our not having to play Sunderland.  Funny it did not do much for Bolton, Boro or the Geordies.  Don't believe I heard any mention of It benefiting Charlton.

They just can't seem to give us any credit, the media, can they.

370371[/snapback]

Didn't help sunderland much either.

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.