SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

[Archived] Wigan Athletic (0-3) Rovers

cn174

• Replies 281
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Travelling to Wigan we didn't really expect to get anything from this game. Wigan are having a great season and after losing five, not unexpected, on the bounce seemed to have got themselves back on song. We thought we were in for a very tough afternoon.

On yesterday's evidence it's hard to understand why Wigan have done so well so far. I thought Rovers played very, very well as a team, not one outfield player could be criticised, yet we were not brilliant. So why have Wigan done so well when they didn't come anywhere close to matching Rovers?

Given Wigan's record I'd rank this as our best result of the season to date, ahead of the Old Trafford win. In theory we could have lost this quite easily but the team went out determined to do a job and got a very just reward for their efforts. We really need to keep this attitude going through to January 11th and then who knows?

Am I the only one a bit concerned by Brad? I thought he was below par yesterday. If Gray hadn't cleared one off the line, when Friedel should have come for the original ball, it might have been a different story.

Enjoyed the Wigan Walk. First out was with about 12 minutes to go. Makes the Riverside look a bit better biggrin.gif

Made a similar comment about Brad early in the first half where I thought he was guilty of not coming for crosses. However, he earned his corn later in the game with the super save on 80 mins one on one with Conolly. All in all a superb day out and a job well done by the Rovers.

Happy New Year to one and all biggrin.gif

rover.gif my ratings from yesterday

FRIEDAL 7 i just haven't got the same confidence in the guy,poor kicking and rooted to his line.

NEILL 8 back to his best

ADMIRAL 8 did not give roberts or camara a inch

ZURAB 7 so cool

GRAY 9 best rovers display,can even defend now

BENTLEY 7 delightful skill needs biulding up.

REID 8 WHAT A GOAL tongue.gif

LILY 8 tireless display,seems to have put all his energy into playing at the moment.

MGP 7 poor corners,wonderfull long throws and a brilliant goal

KUQI 6 if his brian and body co-ordinated he would be a world beater

DICKOV 6 missed a few but 100%

sub BELLARS 8 can he be benched every week tinykit.gif

Feel a bit sorry for MGP. Against Fulham he scores a screamer only for Tugay to hit that volley. Then yesterday another screamer only for Reidy to howitzer one in. Seriously, if that was an Arse, Man U, Chelsea or Liverpool player all the Van Basten comparisons would be out

Pedersen goal was brilliant, but Reid's was even better. Reid has the ability to shot like that and I'm glad that one finally found the net! I saw the highlights on football first and we played very well. Gray was excellent as was the whole defence. Pedersen was pretty quiet again, despite his goal and Bentley looked good in parts. We have to follow this result up with a win against Portsmouth.

For me Zurab was my MOTM so solid

370383[/snapback]

Thought he played well myself, News of the World gave him 3 out of 10 blink.gifblink.gif

What a fantastic strike that was from Reid, up there with Shearers strike against QPR for sheer power.

Happy New Year!

Going back to the Rovers 5,000 following, I am now convinced it was a major factor in our win yesterday,our players were determined not to let us down and I'm sure Hughes would have emphasised that point in the pre match build up.They looked eager to impress kicking towards our end second half and so it proved.

THEY CLEARLY REVELLED IN AND APPRECHIATED THAT LEVEL OF SUPPORT! rover.gif

Brilliant Christmas present, tickets for the game! Great afternoon, great win! Just reading through press comments etc mad.gif(but who cares)* whilst listening to the marvellous New Year Concert from Vienna.

*On reflection, it's rather funny. Can the media keep coming up with excuses for us winning? Might be fun to start collecting the headlines!

edit: the reports weren't all like that though

Good to see Jason 'Aren't I wonderful - oops sorry, didn't mean my elbow to touch you ha-ha' kept quiet.l Good refereeing by Clattenburg made such a difference too.

Great time to be a Rover smile.gif

Edited by roversmum

the media will never give rovers the accolade they deseve its all southern frency ran-we all love arse and chelski bandwagon,so when you do watch motd dont be surprised when we dont get mentioned or any good vibes tongue.gif

anyway its great when we are the underdogs at everything...roll on the MIGHTY rovers to the manure semis rover.gif

For some bizarre reason Im very confident of beating Wigan tomorow. I just think that they've been slightly fortunate with decisions etc this season (Fulham 100% pen got turned down if i remember) and if you get at them like Spurs did then they're not invincible at home. 2-0 for me and top half come the start of the year.

370017[/snapback]

I was only one goal out!! Good prediction though, I just had that feeling we'd beat them. What strikes from MGP and Stevie Reid! Get in!

Brilliant Christmas present, tickets for the game!  Great afternoon, great win!  Just reading through press comments etc  mad.gif(but who cares)* whilst listening to the marvellous New Year Concert from Vienna.

*On reflection, it's rather funny.  Can the media keep coming up with excuses for us winning?  Might be fun to start collecting the headlines!

edit: the reports weren't all like that though

Good to see Jason 'Aren't I wonderful - oops sorry, didn't mean my elbow to touch you ha-ha' kept quiet.l  Good refereeing by Clattenburg made such a difference too.

Great time to be a Rover  smile.gif

370413[/snapback]

im glad clattenburg was the ref and not styles at it said on the programme

Come on the Rovers. brilliant present just before the start of the New year. Great to see that there were 5200 fans supporting us, lets hope the gates will start to rise in the next up and coming games.

Before the game I said that this will be a test to prove how ambitious Hughes and Rovers are in getting to a decent position in the league and to get back into Europe. We couldn't have proved it more precisely yesterday against Wigan. A brilliant All round performance and gives us great hope for this season.

Did anyone else here Lawro on 6-0-6? When a Rovers fan mentioned the great following at yesterday's game his comment was "Not very far to go was it." What a tosser, why does he hate Rovers so much?

It looked from the highlights on Football First that we stuffed them completely but again the co-comentator was very grudging in his comments about us. Not sure who he was but he said after Reid's goal that it was the first bright spot of an otherwise dull game. Didn't sound dull on the radio or luck dull on the highlights so I'm not sure why he said that. Does anyone know who it was, a Scouser I think.

The score was a fair reflection of the game. They play crap football, a variation of Bolton's style (with two quick forwards rather than a big lump of a target man), which we seem to handle well. Once we rebuffed their 'attacks' their high tempo game began to wear down and we created chances. In the end it was indeed EASY, EASY, EASY biggrin.gif

As for Lawro, who knows, its a surprise that he's still employed in all fairness.

I haven't had the chance to follow Rovers closely in the last couple of months, but it really bring me great joy to see that the team is progressing very, very well. Wigan are no pushovers, so this was a great result. Hope we can keep it up rover.gif

An absolutely cracking day out.

I was very impressed by the car park and 'away bar' in the stand, although the car park took about 3 days to get out of.

The players were brilliant, the fans were brilliant. It was an away day I will remember for a long time.

I can still hear Reid's shot hit the back of the net. A wonderful sound. I honestly don't think I have seen anyone hit a ball as hard as that. Absolute hum dinger!!

Finally, a special mention has to go to Robbie Savage. He was excellent yesterday and must have ran about 87 miles. He is getting there.

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.