BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

Battle Of 4th, 5th, 6th Position

Modi

I wouldn't mind intertoto to be honest with you and part of the reason I feel so happy about things at the moment is because I feel that no matter what we will be seeing UEFA cup football next year. If we miss out on in it in the league, which I don't think we will (I have us down for 6th), then we'll do the business in the summer.

• Replies 1.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Have a look at dillo dillo's post in the other 4th, 5th ,6th thread.

If we win the next 5 games, we will move into 4th place- it is entirely in our own hands. If Hughes sets us up to avoid any dropped points in those games, all of which should be regulation wins, the dream of Champs League football is very much on!

The thing we have to consider is that the end of season is always more complicated then it looks on paper. Who knows where teams are going to pick up points or drop points. Teams tend to pick up fewer points than you expect so whoever puts that run together will probably get the 4th spot, 4 or 5 teams are in it.

Come on guys, we were never going to get 4th.

However, I have Spurs down as finishing 6th and to have beaten them could have secured us European football.  I still think we will finish 7th, but will be a fair way off European qualification.

I think people need to prepare themselves for the intertoto and some disapointment.

388581[/snapback]

In reality 7th is likely to result in UEFA qualification..

Hers hoping for the current top 6 to do well, for more reasons that one!

lets not lose sight of the fact that we have over-achieved and are punching above our weight... in terms of some of our players.

I'm most worried about the Pompey and Sunderland matches, as they are the type we always seem to drop points on.

388640[/snapback]

that's my fear (west brom and everton scenarios), 4th would be great (nevermind the games, think of the cash) and is still poss.

i'dve taken top 10 if you'dve offered it after the bolton and newcastle games in early season.

what a turnaround.

lets not lose sight of the fact that we have over-achieved and are punching above our weight... in terms of some of our players.

388649[/snapback]

Which players are they? Most teams have players who are punching above their weight and probably wouldnt get in other similar placed teams sides. An example would be most of Boltons squad biggrin.gif

In light of Hughes' comments there is an added dimension to where we finish. If we don't get European football I would be very wary of losing Hughes. And if Hughes goes I think we would be in trouble.

Today result was a real kick in the teeth bu we are still well in line for sixth. We need to win our next two games.

Dont know why people are saying this rights off our champs league hopes. Still some 30 points left and we have the easiest run in. Furthermore, we are the only team not to have to play any of the teams around us bar City, so we can sit back and watch the others take points of each other.

It was very bad timing to get such bad luck with the game against Spurs but unfortunately I can't see us finishing above them now. Now Arsenal look to have found some of their former style, and with Bolton having two games in hand, I think a top four finish is out of our reach. I'll be happy with 6th!

Written before yesterday's game but Square Football on why we should come 4th.

At the turn of the year I suggested that we were well capable of reaching 60 points so I've lifted this from the "60 is the new 40" thread to see how we are doing two months into the new year.

At that time, there were ten home games to go which includes the top three and Arsenal so not quite the benefit of numeric home advantage it looks on paper.- I'd guess four points out of twelve from those games. Six points out of six so ahead of target here- I actually had Chelsea as our win- they will already be Champions when we play them.

The other home games include three more derbies- Bolton, Wigan, Man City- given the unpredictable nature of these sorts of games, say five points out of nine. One point out of three; win one draw one against Wigan and City and we're OK

Then three games against strugglers- Villa, Boro and Sunderland- should yield seven points out of nine given the way Hughes has made us more ruthless than Souness did.

Away trips to all the relegation-haunted clubs could be tough on the physio room- Sunderland, Pompey, Brum, West Brom should see us unbeaten on those vists, eight points out of twelve. Zero out of three so far. The three games at the relegation placed clubs are going to decide our season.

That leaves visits to Everton, Charlton, Newcastle and Spurs- win two, lose two for six points out of twelve. Three points out of nine so far.

So at that time another 30 points giving a grand total of 60 seemed to be very possible without making any wildly optimistic assumptions. We've manage 10 out of 21 available so far. Get 15 out of the next 15 and Champions League beckons.

Edited by philipl

Cant see 5 wins in a row. Too many potential banana skins in those games.

I hope Im wrong.

That would be the difference between a team gunning for European football and another one yo-yoing in upper to mid-table region lacking only the element of consistency to catapult it onto the next level.

Just noticed as well that Spuds play Chelsea and Arsenal play Liverpool this weekend.

Perhaps all bets should be put on hold for seven days?

Although it would be typical Rovers for Chelsea to beat Spuds and we then fail to beat Villa in the 5.15 game. rolleyes.gif

Cant see 5 wins in a row. Too many potential banana skins in those games.

I hope Im wrong.

That would be the difference between a team gunning for European football and another one yo-yoing in upper to mid-table region lacking only the element of consistency to catapult it onto the next level.

388888[/snapback]

If we win five out of five I am Donald Duck.

Three out of five and a draw would be excellent.

Four wins and a draw since Souness went has catapulted Newcastle into the mystery team placing on dillo dillo's chart and a decent shot at European qualification (shame they drew Chelsea away in the FA Cup ha ha).

A similar run for Rovers now....

The other sides have got quite a few more heavy fixtures like the ones Revidge has just spotted.

Bolton have two games in hand which would take them to 48pts providing they win both. Don't know who there games in hand are against. Not all over yet by a longshot. Should be very tight. I will be happy with a UEFA slot. If we end up fourth typical Rovers is to do a Everton and end up out of Europe before end of August !!

I just worked out some stuff on paper, which I think is roughly accurate:

Champions league: Seven wins out of ten or six wind and three draws.

Uefa Cup (Presuming 7th is not good enough): Five wins and two draws, or four wins and five draws, or six wins

Pretty much that simple, although it is possible that one of the other teams goes on an incredible run.

I can's see us winning all but three games. Five wins and a couple of draws is do-able so hopefully sixth will happen.

I really don't like Man U but hahahahahaha!! If Wigan had have won this game it could have got them going again after the cup final, but this defeat may take it out of them (hopefully) and that'll be one less team in the battle for Europe.

Bolton has a horrendous run coming up: United home, Pool away, Chelsea home. 3 defeats are a real possibility in those games, but the same could be said about our games against two of those teams.

Im sure there will be many twists and turns coming up for 4th - 6th positions.