BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

[Archived] Rovers 0-1 Liverpool

• Replies 327
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The femoral artery was under severe pressure at that point!!

Seriously, to all those who wished me well before, I made it!! and I was there.

I guess we all feel like Newcastle did after the "hand of MGP" incident, or perhaps (but less so), Paul Jewell, we have had our fair share of luck this season and let's face it, had we done the business away at West Brom, home and away to Everton and more recently against Wigan games where we would have expected to ratchet up the points, the Liverpool game wouldn't have mattered.

We've had a fantastic season given the last two, and the fat lady still has to clear her throat - reports say Sparky has alll but admitted CL is out the window, I hope that this is just media hype, our remaining games are ALL winnable, including Chelsea, the Spuds could still blow it.

Come on you Blues!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! laugh.gif

If that was Pedersens' best game in weeks, which it might as well have been, then he really should be dropped.

I'd rather we played Peter or Emerton down the left, or indeed Bentley with Emerton or Reid on the right.

I'd rather we got Wilcox back from Blackpool the way MGP is playing.

399727[/snapback]

¨

I guess we'll have to agree to disagree then smile.gif

I do find it strange though, because I have been critical towards MGP for months, and this is the first game I actually found myself thinking; Gamst has performed well and created a lot of opportunities today.

rover.gif we have bent over backwards to help liverpoo fc with this fixture,moved it from 3pm to 5.15pm,to the next day then the officials gave them 3pts.

is it that utd,s title challenge faded on friday,the race for 2nd place takes presedent,sky has ruined football there will never be a ipswich,forrest,or a rovers title winning season again,every little club is canon fodder for big clubs no wonder gates are dropping.

dickov -gray-mgp-savage can all leave for me,6million for pedersen,i will carry him to whl.savage can't pass to a blue and white shirt,swap him back to the big club for sutton and dunny tinykit.gif

¨

I guess we'll have to agree to disagree then smile.gif

I do find it strange though, because I have been critical towards MGP for months, and this is the first game I actually found myself thinking; Gamst has performed well and created a lot of opportunities today.

399744[/snapback]

To be fair I'm sure you watch MGP much more closely on a match to match basis then me, as I just see him as another player, and I appreciate your afinity to him will be much stronger than mine.

Perhaps I am being too critical. Perhaps you are being too optimistic, or maybe the common ground is yesterday was his best performance out of a bad bunch.

Either way, he can do sod all this season and bang in another four goals, and ifhe does I will be happy.

However, four great performances and a couple of assists will go down much better in my eyes.

Remember Emertons' first season?

He did sod all, but got 15 assists. MGP has four this season. That's 13 goals he's been involved in, whereas Emerton was involved in 15, yet got slated.

Just goes to show how his goals, IMO, have shadowed inept performances.

One other thing that struck me was, considering we were commemorating Hillsborough, was the Scousers standing up throughout the game.

399614[/snapback]

Liverpool FC didnt consider the fixture inappropriate, all those fans dont think standing is inappropriate. Infact the only people who harp on about Hillsborough as the scallies who have yet to sort out their compensation claims...

On the MGP thing, I thought he had one of his better all round games. He did whip in some fantastic crosses.

Is that two or three games now we have not had a free kick within site of goal.

Edited by USABlue

There are many varying views of the performance.

For me, there is no way the goal should have been allowed - one of the worst descions I've seen. As said on TV if we miss out on the CL by two points that decision has cost us millions.

From our point of view I think first half we were poor, started OK but faded out very quickly.

Second half a little bit better, certainly plenty of possesion but we did little with it. A lot of huff and puff but seriously lacking creativity and quality in the final third.

Its a real worry for me that without Tugay in the side we lack any sort of creativity in midfield. Reid and Savage work hard and give 110% but for me you cant play both in the centre of midfield, its one or the other and based upon recent performances I'd go for Reid with Tugay (When he's fit. I know MH is unlikeley to leave Savage out but thats my view).

We also seem to lack any drive down the flanks, MGP has had little to offer in recent months and I'm afraid we can't counter this argument with his goalscoring contribution 'cos this has also gone, for me he doesn't currently warrant his place in the side. On the other side Bentley doesn't look like a winger to me, he looks lost out there and I would be really tempted to give him a decent run up front with Bellamy. Also would like to see Emerton back in the side - at least he can run with the bloody ball and gives us a more physical presence.

To sum things up, and thoughts for the summer transfers:

(1). We desperatley need a new left back. Gray does a job there and no more. We really lack options in this position as well.

(2). A central midfielder with creativity would be very useful addition and must be towards the top of the list. Problem is there aren't any around that would fall within our budget. Come on MH work a miracle !

(3). The last three games have highlighted that we MUST bring in a quality striker to partner Bellamy next season. We look very light weight up front and Dickov and Kuqi are simply out of their depth at the level we are trying to compete at.

I can't stress enough the importance of this, think long term this will be a factor in how long we hold onto Bellers - he needs a quality strike partner.

Hopefully we can finish the season on high and look forward to a UEFA place next season. Whilst I would love to see us in the Champions League personally I think it is too soon for us and would do us more harm than good long term (obviously not financially).

There are many varying views of the performance.

For me, there is no way the goal should have been allowed - one of the worst descions I've seen. As said on TV if we miss out on the CL by two points that decision has cost us millions.

399804[/snapback]

Not really, it's been more of an accumalitive effect.

Easter Sunday is supposed to be a day for reawakening and rejuvenation - but this drab lacklustre match yesterday left me feeling completely deflated.

according to the following stats, we had more shots on target than Liverpool.

The stats show we had 3 shots on target compared with 2 for Liverpool - which is hardly a demonstration of dominance.

I'm afraid I can't agree with the praise that Revidge Blue (and a few others) have given to the Rovers players. I thought both teams were uninspired and insipid.

Liverpool's style of play bores me to tears. Señor Benitez seems to be instructing his team to defend deep away from home, place nine men behind the ball and try to nick goals on the counter-attack by thumping long high balls up to the strikers. You could argue that it's effective because they won the European Cup last season, but it's a one-dimensional and unattractive style to watch.

As much as I loathe Man United as a football club, their fluent style of play (and Arsenal's too) with flair players and wingers in the side who like to attack, is a good deal more aesthically pleasing to the eye.

I thought when the French buffoon Monsieur Houllier left Anfield in 2004 we might see a return to the days when Liverpool attacked teams from the start, but Benitez often has a tendency to be over-cautious away from home - although to be fair they did thrash Big Club 7-0 at St Andrews.

But when a team defends deep, as Liverpool did at Ewood yesterday, it's up to the home team to find a way of getting round the back - but we failed to do that. The number of good quality crosses from wide positions was severely limited and I have to agree with those who've said that MGP is offering very little at the moment.

When your wide players are failing in their duty to get past the full-back and provide a quality cross, then your chances on goal are going to be limited. Hence just 3 shots on target from us yesterday which isn't good enough for a home team with aspirations of Europe.

One of our few good chances yesterday was a shot that went off-target. Robbie Savage should have done better with a chance in the second half, but his left foot shot in front of the Blackburn End was carelessly struck wide.

This was Robbie's 50th game for Rovers yesterday and he's failed to score a single goal. I know he's not an attacking midfielder by trade, but he should still have a few goals under his belt by now. Even for a defensive midfielder (who as John Toshack says, sometimes resembles a headless chicken) , Savage should be doing better in front of goal with the few chances that come to him. Paul Dickov doesn't come up with enough goals and we rely too heavily on Bellamy.

Liverpool's goal shouldn't have stood of course - and perhaps a 0-0 scoreline would have been appropriate for this dreary humdrum match. At the time of the Hillsborough tragedy in 1989, I remember the Liverpool team under Kenny Dalglish at the time - and with attack-minded players like Beardsley, Barnes and Houghton, they were an attractive side to watch.

A year earlier in 1988 there was one particularly memorable performance when Liverpool thrashed Nottingham Forest 5-0 at Anfield. It could (and perhaps should) have been about 9-0 to Liverpool; and Tom Finney, who was watching at Anfield that day, described it as "the finest display of attacking football I've seen in 60 years of watching the game."

The Liverpool team who turned up yesterday (minus Steven Gerrard) couldn't have been more different in terms of how they approached the game. Unfortunately their dull safety-first brand of football was able to win them the match. But it was unadulterated tedium to watch. The beautiful game? Not at Ewood yesterday....

Edited by Anti Euro Smiths Fan

Terrible, terrible decision. A point lost through awful officiating. Yet again.

399815[/snapback]

I'm really trying not to get too upset about it, when you consider we've had our share of luck against Wigan (twice) and Newcastle when it comes to dodgy goals. I guess the gate does swing both ways.

I feel quite pragmatic re: yesterdays defeat. Lets face it we won at ncastle with a blatant handball and also the equaliser against wigan was dubious to say the least and wigan had a perfect goal ruled out when roberts was inactive. Can't remember renia being called into action.

On yesterdays performance we got what we deserved nowt. We have been sussed remove threat of bellamy by defending on the edge of the box and then we struggle no creative player in midfield to unlock the defence and forwards in the form of dickov and kugi are as must use as tits on a fish. Need a top class forward to compliment bellamy how many times does he berate kugi in a game due to his lack of ability ?

Still if we all forget about champs lg and live in the real world of a uefa finish that is definetly achievable probably 2 wins out of 4 will guarantee uefa qualification esp as west ham getting beat need bolton to continue their slide against wba tnight.

Another moan the commentators on the worldwide feed are sh1te think it was gary stevens what a banker first started off intimating that we had left the pitch with ruts on purpose and just continued to talk a load of ######. He was surprised by the atomsphere at ewood god he drove me mad.

And another thing how many times did reina run out of the box with the ball in hands before releasing a quick counterattack twice I counted. I noticed filan do this also is it just me ? we should have free kicks on the edge of the box

be it krama or what, a lost is still a lost. its totally depressing to read all the post games comments. this match, like any horribe ex girlfriend experience is best forgotten and not mentioned again.

here's to looking forward to wed's match.

c'mon rovers! lets secure that 6th place spot tinykit.gif

Edited by asianRover

I feel quite pragmatic re: yesterdays defeat. Lets face it we won at ncastle with a blatant handball and also the equaliser against wigan was dubious to say the least and wigan had a perfect goal ruled out when roberts was inactive. Can't remember renia being called into action.

On yesterdays performance we got what we deserved nowt. We have been sussed remove threat of bellamy by defending on the edge of the box and then we struggle no creative player in midfield to unlock the defence and forwards in the form of dickov and kugi are as must use as tits on a fish. Need a top class forward to compliment bellamy how many times does he berate kugi in a game due to his lack of ability ?

Still if we all forget about champs lg and live in the real world of a uefa finish that is definetly achievable probably 2 wins out of 4 will guarantee uefa qualification esp as west ham getting beat need bolton to continue their slide against wba tnight.

Another moan the commentators on the worldwide feed are sh1te think it was gary stevens what a banker first started off intimating that we had left the pitch with ruts on purpose and just continued to talk a load of ######. He was surprised by the atomsphere at ewood god he drove me mad.

And another thing how many times did reina run out of the box with the ball in hands before releasing a quick counterattack twice I counted. I noticed filan do this also is it just me ? we should have free kicks on the edge of the box

399830[/snapback]

Where have newcastle come from ? just seen the league table they are in the mix now

Not really, it's been more of an accumalitive effect.

399814[/snapback]

Fully agree with you there USA, we have not performed on too many occasions recently when we have needed to. We got what we deserved yesterday - nothing. Still it is really annoying though when a game is decided by a horrendous decision and nothing else.

Pureley in black and white terms though should we miss out on the CL by two points that decision technically could have cost us 4th place. However, realistically the chances of us winning yesterday (based upon the performance) were pretty much none existent anyway. In all honesty I think we could have played until next easter and not scored !

Being at Ewood for the first time sitting in the Jack Walker Upper, I had a very good veiw of the game, and this it what I make of it:

1. We got many quality crosses into the box, but when no-one attacks the ball and we dont have players arriving in the box from midfield then they are of no use.

2. Best attack on the day was the hughe chance which Savage sent wide with a weak shot.

3. No need to say anything about the Liverpool goal mad.gif

4. The drummer really is annoying, sounds like they kill any chance of a chant lasting longer than 10-20 seconds

5. We need to stop playing one-touch sloppy passes between the back four. On another day it could have cost us dearly.

I dont think any of our players had a very bad game, even though Dickov was cleary not at his best. Best player for me was Nelsen, followed by Reid and Savage. I also thought Bentley looked decent in the second half...

Btw, at the Blackburn train station after the game some Liverpool supports idiots came singing "blue and white trash..." Then a rather ###### off Blackburn supporter "lost it" while repating load and aggressively "shut your mouth you fat @#/?, no-one likes you, fat basted. Shut your f**** mouth fat @#/?.. Just wondering, was it any of you? ohmy.gif

Two things

first of all it is clear to most fans where the team needs to be more popwerful. I think that this will happen in the close season, if we need more funding to do this, I would sell mgp, as we need a player who will play well in most of the games, and not just in some of them and a club might well pay good money for him.

second, I think most poeple would of been more then happy to have the season that we have had to date, and as such it is not all gloom and darkness, now if MH and CB were to leave in the close season then that is a different story.

Two things

first of all it is clear to most fans where the team needs to be more popwerful.  I think that this will happen in the close season, if we need more funding to do this, I would sell mgp, as we need a player who will play well in most of the games, and not just in some of them and a club might well pay good money for him.

second, I think most poeple would of been more then happy to have the season that we have had to date, and as such it is not all gloom and darkness, now if MH and CB were to leave in the close season then that is a different story.

399843[/snapback]

If Spuds are still willing to pay £6-7m I'd snap their hands off.

Two things

first of all it is clear to most fans where the team needs to be more popwerful.  I think that this will happen in the close season, if we need more funding to do this, I would sell mgp, as we need a player who will play well in most of the games, and not just in some of them and a club might well pay good money for him.

399843[/snapback]

yes saw on ssn that hughes heads newcastle wanted list. whats the lowdown on this story have rovers rebuffed this story. It will be a disaster if he leaves.

The difference between the newcastle goal we scored and liverpool's goal is that nobody even knew Pedersen had touched it, even Kuqi ran away celebrating whereas an offside decision as blatant as the one yesterday just shouldn't be missed!

I think the music at the start of the match needs to be sorted out, you could hardly hear it and it does nothing to help the atmosphere, why not have O fortuna or the Final Countdown!

yes saw on ssn that hughes heads newcastle wanted list. whats the lowdown on this story have rovers rebuffed this story. It will be a disaster if he leaves.

399847[/snapback]

The LET says the Rovers have rubbishes the story in the National Press.

Pureley in black and white terms though should we miss out on the CL by two points that decision technically could have cost us 4th place.

399838[/snapback]

A thought that had crossed my mind too - pretty costly. Thought it a bit ironic that in the same week that the decision went against us in the Dahlin case on appeal, this cost us a bob or two when we couldn't go to appeal. So that's two games against Lpool this season, and two 1-0 defeats that have owed a hell of a lot to diabolical decisions from the men in black - the conspiracy theories are growing...........

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.