SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

[Archived] Uefa Cup

• Replies 1.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Bert has updated his site with the following comment:-

Apparently the computer draw is not completely random. Until now it is most often found that a team plays at home against a team from the next lower pot, and (as a consequence) plays away against a team from the next higher pot (using a cyclic connection between pot 1 and pot 5).

Which would mean that we would be away to pots 1 & 3 by my reckoning. Still think it could change but we'll find out soon enough.

Apparently the computer draw is not completely random. Until now it is most often found that a team plays at home against a team from the next lower pot, and (as a consequence) plays away against a team from the next higher pot (using a cyclic connection between pot 1 and pot 5).

Which would mean that we would be away to pots 1 & 3 by my reckoning. Still think it could change but we'll find out soon enough.

i'm pretty sure that the computer draw only actually takes into account the fixture conditions - ie no team from the arctic circle playing at home in december, and is structured to enable the top 2 seeded groups to have a home game as the last game. Resulting in as you say us playing somebody from pots 1 and 3

B)-->

QUOTE(Ste B @ Oct 1 2006, 15:44 ) 449322[/snapback]

i'm pretty sure that the computer draw only actually takes into account the fixture conditions - ie no team from the arctic circle playing at home in december, and is structured to enable the top 2 seeded groups to have a home game as the last game. Resulting in as you say us playing somebody from pots 1 and 3

In other words .... its fixed ;)

B)-->

QUOTE(Ste B @ Oct 2 2006, 15:44 ) 449322[/snapback]

I still think it could change though. If as it looks we are team D from the schedule it would mean teams C & D playing at home on Match Day 4. As Besiktas & Fenerbace are in C & D this can't happen I would have thought so surely there will be a bit of change.

i was speaking to Tom Finn yesterday, who mention rovers seemed to think they have a 1 in 7 chance of Rangers at home- apparently because of the way the draw works we can't get them away?

all too confusing for me, just give us somewher in holland/spain/italy etc and avoid a trip to turkey/israel etc and i will be a happy bunny.

:brfc:

I am at Solicitors tomoz at 11.I will be missing draw.I will not be switching my phone off though.

There are some good teams we can play.Hopefully I can get time off to go to the next away match.

Had a good time in Salzburg.

Wouldn't mind avoiding Turkey and Israel though.

As Besiktas & Fenerbace are in C & D this can't happen I would have thought so surely there will be a bit of change.

Indeed there will be, I wouldnt book anything until the fixtures are confirmed. Also its possible that games could be moved to the wednesday on match days 4 and 5 because there is no champions league and we may end up on TV.

2006/07 UEFA Cup group stage participants

Pot Club (country) Coefficient

1 Sevilla FC (ESP) 61.006

1 Newcastle United FC (ENG) 75.950

1 Panathinaikos FC (GRE) 66.587

1 Parma FC (ITA) 63.020

1 AFC Ajax (NED) 60.640

1 Bayer 04 Leverkusen (GER) 57.960

1 Feyenoord (NED) 54.640

1 AJ Auxerre (FRA) 53.757

2 Club Brugge KV (BEL) 49.981

2 FC Basel 1893 (SUI) 49.537

2 AZ Alkmaar (NED) 48.640

2 AC Sparta Praha (CZE) 44.796

2 Rangers FC (SCO) 43.023

2 RC Celta de Vigo (ESP) 43.006

2 Paris Saint-Germain FC (FRA) 41.757

2 RC Lens (FRA) 29.324

3 Beşiktaş JK (TUR) 38.634

3 US Città di Palermo (ITA) 36.020

3 RCD Espanyol (ESP) 33.006

3 SC Heerenveen (NED) 30.640

3 FK Partizan (SCG) 30.600

3 AFC Rapid Bucuresti (ROU) 30.381

3 Wisła Kraków (POL) 29.104

3 FC Slovan Liberec (CZE) 28.769

4 Fenerbahçe SK (TUR) 28.634

4 FK Austria Wien (AUT) 27.723

4 Hapoel Tel-Aviv FC (ISR) 26.108

4 CA Osasuna (ESP) 25.006

4 Blackburn Rovers FC (ENG) 23.950

4 Grasshopper-Club (SUI) 23.537

4 FC Dinamo 1948 Bucuresti (ROU) 22.381

4 AS Livorno Calcio (ITA) 22.020

5 Tottenham Hotspur FC (ENG) 20.950

5 Maccabi Haifa FC (ISR) 19.108

5 SC Braga (POR) 17.533

5 AS Nancy-Lorraine (FRA) 16.757

5 Eintracht Frankfurt (GER) 15.960

5 SV Zulte Waregem (BEL) 9.981

5 FK Mladá Boleslav (CZE) 8.769

5 Odense BK (DEN) 8.593

Emerton has a website regarding the UEFA cup draw????

Edited by Jordan

The rankings are based on country co-efficient plus the club's own performance over the past five seasons. So Rovers' non-winning pops in recent seasons have gained them enough points to be able to laugh at Spuds in pot 5 for whom Europe is a 21st century novelty.

For non-english clubs in the top three pots there is a minimum 25% chance of getting an EPL club out of the bottom two pots which is a bit of a nightmare proposition. At least there are no Italian or Spanish clubs lurking in pot 5 to bite Rovers in the derriere.

Still it means that Rovers are theoretically seeded to get knocked out and will need to produce something special to get through.

Four possible permutations to chew on for the draw:

"Thank the Gods- we've got a great chance to come top of this one":

Leverkusen, Brugge, Krakow, Rovers, Mlada

"Couldn't be much tougher and not box office either":

Sevilla, Alkmaar, Rapid, Rovers, Nancy

"Do they give us tin hats?"

Feyernoord, Rangers, Palermo, Rovers, Haifa

"Glamour ties"

Ajax, PSG, Espanyol, Rovers, Eintracht

Edited by philipl

There are some decent possibilities for us to progress if you go off this seasons form Parma are 17th at present only off the bottom thanks to the teams deducted points, Leverkusen, Feyenoord & Auxerre all are having poor starts. Celta Basel & PSG have all made poor starts in pot 2 and Rangers should not pose a great problem. From Pot 3 Avoid Besiktas, Palermo and maybe Liberec and we'll be happy. Mlada are actually top of their league so we'd do well to avoid them and Nancy are in good form but the rest should be no problem.

Bring it on.

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.