BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

[Archived] Ian Wright- Get This Man Off Our Tv Screens

Got the tram home tonight to South Manchester. Spent a lovely 15 minutes with Stone Island clad skin headed idiots. Makes you proud to be English. Tuned in tonight. Ian Wright defends cheating. Gerard does it twice. Have decided to cheer on Hungary just to annoy Stone Island toughies and Ian Wright.

• Replies 214
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I was made up to see the penalty saved - Gerrard went down in the box like Diouf against Rovers. Imagine how Ian Wright-Wright-Wright will react if some evil Johnny Foreigner does the same to Our Brave Lads in the World Cup. Muppet.

Got the tram home tonight to South Manchester. Spent a lovely 15 minutes with Stone Island clad skin headed idiots. Makes you proud to be English. Tuned in tonight. Ian Wright defends cheating. Gerard does it twice. Have decided to cheer on Hungary just to annoy Stone Island toughies and Ian Wright.

But they wont be annoyed?

So it all seems incredibly pointless.

Ian Wright was absolutely spot on with what he said! Every team in the world will try to do that against us. Should we be the only ones that don't? Hell no!

Wright was also very much spot on with his "boring" analysis of the game and I agreed fully that Carrick should have played at least some kind of role. What the hell was Carragher doing in defensive midfield?

gerrard should have been off for 2 bookings. if a hungary player had done it the lines about the "cheating foreigners" would have come out. but it was glazed over. disgraceful.

Sorry, but no. England certainly had the worse of the officials tonight. How England managed to have two players booked and Hungary had none, despite bad tackles, handballs and the lot I'll never know. Let's not attack our own team here.

There was a nauseatingly sycophantic BBC interview after tonight's match in which Garth Crooks basically told Steven Gerrard that he was wonderful, that England were excellent and that everything tonight was hunky-dory.

Why didn't Mr Crooks at least ask Gerrard if there was any contact between himself and the Hungarian player for the penalty - and if not why did he go down so easily?

It seems that nobody from within the Beeb dares to ask the players any difficult questions which might upset the cosy relationship they want to keep with them.

I hope that in the World Cup we won't have any English players complaining about foreigners cheating and diving when they do exactly the same thing themselves.

Joe Cole has a habit of going down too easily and Wayne Rooney, who may or may not be fit to play in the World Cup, is a cheat who blatantly dived for a penalty against Arsenal in the game which ended Arsenal's 49-match unbeaten record in 2004/05.

Ian Wright defends cheating.

Ian Wright is a repugnant individual who while playing for Arsenal once abused a disabled linesman, calling him an 'effing cripple.

Also while at Highbury, he was fined £1,500 by the FA in 1992 for spitting at spectators. He also has a criminal record, having served a jail term prior to becoming a professional footballer. I was appalled when the BBC decided to employ this vile creature as a pundit, when he's clearly a dreadful role model for youngsters.

I was disgusted that Wright was awarded an MBE a few years ago. Obviously you can now spit at others, abuse disabled people, have a criminal record and still benefit from the British honours system....

IPB Image

Dare I suggest a possible reason why he might be employed by the BBC?

Now I hope this doesn't anger Mr McGarry too much, but would such a person, with Wright's record, have been employed by the BBC if they had been white? Perhaps they would have done. Perhaps not.

But in the same way as the British police force has introduced a policy of "positive discrimination" to increase the number of black and Asian police officers, Greg Dyke, the former BBC director-general, previously stated that there were not enough black and Asian people on the BBC and set a target of 10% non-white staff by 2003 - a number of BBC news trainee places were set aside especially for people from the ethnic minorities.

What I do know, is that irrespective of whether Ian Wright is white, black or yellow, he's a disgrace to football and shouldn't be on my television screen.

Wow, a new topic for you. I love Ian Wright, find him funny, knows his stuff and offers a different style. His obvious bias can be annoying at times, but it is also part of his charm and he is always able to talk highly of opposition and is never blinded by who he likes or does not like. Wright deserves his MBE as much as any sportsman does and I'm glad he has his BBC job, I even enjoy the other shows he has done on the BBC.

As for English players diving, of course they do, everyone does. However, it is still not as common amongst English players or players in English leagues as it is in Europe or South America.

I like Ian Wright too,passionate about England when he was playing,still passionate now,makes him a great pundit IMO,a bit excitable,takes away from the stuffiness of some of the others.

I was a bit uncomfortable with what he said tonight I must admit but I don't think he was saying he liked cheating just that other teams do it so why shouldn't we.

As for the penalty there was no contact, he dived out of the way of a bad

challenge.

And despite Wright's comments I'm still rooting for England.

Edited by bb3

I hate cheating, but almost every player, in every team, in every country does it. Why do people get so angry when we do it ourselves? I always say that we should take these opportunities to win penalties because it will probably happen to us a few games later.

I hate cheating, but almost every player, in every team, in every country does it. Why do people get so angry when we do it ourselves? I always say that we should take these opportunities to win penalties because it will probably happen to us a few games later.

Because it's always tended to be frowned upon by the British,and rightly so.

But your spot on with the point you make,because if it costs us dearly in the WC finals we'll all be mightily pi$$ed off.

Ian Wright was absolutely spot on with what he said! Every team in the world will try to do that against us. Should we be the only ones that don't? Hell no!

Wright was also very much spot on with his "boring" analysis of the game and I agreed fully that Carrick should have played at least some kind of role. What the hell was Carragher doing in defensive midfield?

Apparently Carragher has done quite well in defensive midfield in the past for the U-21 squad.

Last night was mostly depressing!!!

In the first half England were sodding awful, and Gerard resorted to a blatant dive in an attempt to win an unjustified penalty, shame on those who applauded it, now you can't bitch when some one else does the same against us...Oh and by the way it would have been a sending off for the defender in the WC!

We were unadventurous, and boring the 1st half, the second was not much better save the goals but then we sat back and tried to soak up the pressure, a tactic that will fail us in the better standards we can expect in Germany. Also IMO Robinson was injured!!! Look at his clearance just before their goal, he makes a half-arsed clearance with his left arm tucked in to his body, and looking really uncomfortable, then their goal and his left arm hardly gets away from his body! I think he over extended his elbow when diving for their only shot (went wide) in the 1st half. I know Swen wanted to put only his plan B starting XI, but injured players should give way to those not!

Edited by Rovers Air Force

Oh dear ASEF. What evidence do you for that kind of nonsense? Johny Vaughan has a criminal record and has been well paid by the beeb over the years. I'm sure there are scores of others. Maybe because he's a cockney eh?

Wright is employed because he's an ex pro who's basically a fan and who beahves like someone who has the intellectual age of the Stone Island lads I had the pleasure to spend time with last night.

Wright is employed because he's an ex pro who's basically a fan and who beahves like someone who has the intellectual age of the Stone Island lads I had the pleasure to spend time with last night.

don't you think thats a bit harsh, not all people who wear stone island clothes are like that, it's the person or people your talking about, not the label of the clothes they wear.

haven't you heard of don't judge a book by it's cover?

as for ian wright i can't stand him, he's like a monkey in the studio swinging around the place and flapping about, one of the worst pundits ever. the bbc need to get him out.

Re: stone island.

I can't say I understand exactly who wears these overpriced clothes, but all the lads who were behaving like idiots last night had the stuff on. All I could conclude that that to wear the brand is to say "I'm a football thug just like you."

When I was a kid walking round the town centre we all wore Dunlop Green Flash trainers and carried Hawkwind albums under our arms. Come on you must know the signals this gear and those chequed caps give out. It's a footie hooli uniform. I think Hackett, Lacoste and other brands are part of it too. Not sure how many are made in Englans though.

Edited by Paul McGarry

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.