BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

[Archived] Match review: Rovers 4 Man City 2

rover6

World Cup

Group: Moderators

Member No.: 350

QUOTE(Rover The Moon @ Sep 17 2006, 18:57 )

2 because im disabled...

Other people manage to get to the games with disabilities

HELL GRABBI USED TO GET A GAME

Edited by ABBEY

• Replies 277
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Well, after watching the first half sat right in the middle of mancs/scousers and a couple of city fans I felt ashamed that we were level - and I told them to. I cant remember a game where two halves were so different. I sat through most of the first half with my mouth wide open thinking I was watching a Sunday league game - they couldnt string two passes together - no movement - NOT ONE PLAYER LOOKING BOTHERED. Second half started and I was upset at Tuggs being took off (not that he had done anything in the first half anyway) and I was also upset about the axe coming on - because I dont like him and thats just me - I think. Anyway, what the hell was said at half time :blink: The 'new' side that came out could pass - moved - and looked like they wanted to win (you will notice the flip around from the first half) I had not seen him play before but Nonda impressed me - if thats how the guy plays then he should start all the time - even when he didnt have the ball his movment was excellent.

The second half was good enough to make up for the first and I think we deserved it however, I think the city fans are being too hard on themselves. Richards really impressed me (even though his defence conceeded 4 :P )

The main talking point and I dont think that anyone can change my mind on this is that Ooijer is out of his league. He looks like a frightened rabbit in the headlights. He obviously looks like he wants to do well and he is trying but he just cant help being out of it. He needs dropping as soon as.

If anyone cares what I think (and I am sure they/you dont) here are my marks out of 10:-

Friedel - 7 - made some important saves - wansnt at fault for the goals

Ooijer - 4 - awful - but I dont think he can help it

Khizanishvili - 7 - solid - would do better though if Nelson was next to him and not the clown

Neill - 6 - ok but would play better if he took his head out of his arse and kissed the rose like he meant it

Emerton - 7 - Hated him last season however, fair play for changing my mind - well done Bert

Bentley - 6 - I cant make my mind up with him - looks good at times - @#/? others

Savage - 7 - Reminds me of Flitty - you could mark him the same score each game because he will always give you the same

Tugay - 5 - Sort it out Tuggs

Pedersen - 6 - Apart from the goals (which were lucky) we really didnt get anything out of him - again

McCarthy - 6- nowt great but he wasnt really given anything

Jeffers - 5 - Its like trying to make yourself like a cd that you hate - I dont like him and cant help it :ph34r:

Axe - 6 - did ok when he came on

Nonda - 8 - Never seen him play before - I did today and I liked it

Gally - 6 - did what he was paid to do - cheers dude

Right, got the beer muchines so (as you will be glad to hear) rant over

Edited by Cocker

I know I get pillared for talking about crowds Rev but like you I hope to god the club does realise whats going on and except they have made a big mistake with the pricing,only some 15,000 Rovers fans today......can we realistically carry on at that level?

Fulham at home along with Reading,Charlton......sub 15,000 crowds?

I will have a guess that we dont even break-even on 18,000.

**sigh** :(

You don't get "pillared" for talking about crowds because people think the situation is fine, or because you're cutting close to the bone with your comments. It's becuase you say the same thing over and over and over again...

FFS!!

Other people manage to get to the games with disabilities

Yes but they dont live on the other side of the country and have major walking problems... I try to see the local games. Although i wll admit its been a while...

!Pedersen - 6 - Apart from the goals (which were lucky) we really didnt get anything out of him - again" He scored 2, near enough and set up a third, what else do you want from the fella!

Edited by Rover The Moon

To be honest, on the crowd thing, I think that pricing would have made little difference. The public of Blackburn are simply not going to go to the games it's been a downhill slide for several years now and it will continue until we can no longer keep attracting and paying decent and the club will decline. We've punched above our weight for a long time, eventually water will find it's own level.

Bentley - 6 - I cant make my mind up with him - looks good at times - @#/? others

Right, got the beer muchines so (as you will be glad to hear) rant over

I think even at this early stage of the season, everyone can see Bentley has improved a lot from last season and he will continue to do so I expect. I think he is just as good as Reid and could become some way better than him in the next couple of seasons.

From a neutrals point of view it must have been one hell of an entertaining game, i'm sure it was for Rovers fans alike but god was I drained. Anger, delight, annoyance, delight, dumfounded, delight....it was a rollercoaster today but all in all we have the three points so i've ended up ecstatic.

The first half we were terrible beyond words. There was no fluency, some slack passing, no movement and we just looked tired from midweek. Gamst saved us with his 2 goals and his assist this afternoon but to be honest in the first 20 minutes he looked lost.

I've yet to see their first and second goals properly. Their first was a ball over the top and someone (who, I don't know) just didn't follow Barton who had a good 4 lightyears to pick his spot. Their second I was looking at the linesman and didn't see anything at all, so i'll be viewing MOTD with intent tonight.

I'm glad McCarthy got on the scoresheet again lets hope we see it on a regular basis from now onwards. And I am so happy for Gallagher, some fantastic work from Emerton, who looks reborn down that side and he had another good game today.

Mokoena won it today for us I thought, we looked solid when he came on, he got the ball used it wisely and hardly put a foot wrong. He cleaned up any mess and covered the backline when it was needed superbly. Nonda has also impressed me, very unlucky not to score today and he made some intelligent runs, he looked strong and created space for other players.

I'm still uncertain whether gamst deserved the MOTM award however.

Onwards and upwards from here! :brfc:

That was a great and much needed win today. It sounds like the first half was only grime, but the lads got a roasting from Hughes at half time and came out in the second and played well. The defence sounds like it is an absolute shambles and I find it hard to believe that Hughes hasn't bought Todd back into the fold. Then again, after spending £2 million of a defender, you are going to play him. I'm glad that Benni scored again, that will give him more confidence, even if it was a tap in. Nonda sounds like he had a good game and could have scored. I'd like to see him and Benni paired together in the next match. Hopefully Hughes will give up on the Francis Jeffers experiment and use him as a sub at most from now on. I'm pleased for Gallagher as well, scoring a goal will increase his chances of first team football and the chance to see if he is able to really cut it in the league.

Yes but they dont live on the other side of the country and have major walking problems... I try to see the local games. Although i wll admit its been a while...

!Pedersen - 6 - Apart from the goals (which were lucky) we really didnt get anything out of him - again" He scored 2, near enough and set up a third, what else do you want from the fella!

one of them I know has serious cerebal palsy - which means he's completly wheelchair bound.

Im not having a go, just pointing out that Rovers do make every effort to allow disabled people to see the game.

Me I have no excuse not to go to games other than laziness and skintness

Pedersen - 6 - Apart from the goals (which were lucky) we really didnt get anything out of him - again

1 Goal, 1 Assist, 1 Goal/Assist.

What more does he have to do?

His general play was much better today, particularly in the second half and he actually got stuck in a bit.

1 Goal, 1 Assist, 1 Goal/Assist.

What more does he have to do?

His general play was much better today, particularly in the second half and he actually got stuck in a bit.

Obviously I am over the moon that he bagged and assisted (which I know is the main thing) But he vanished for the most part of the match - or so i thought anyway <_<

one of them I know has serious cerebal palsy - which means he's completly wheelchair bound.

Im not having a go, just pointing out that Rovers do make every effort to allow disabled people to see the game.

Me I have no excuse not to go to games other than laziness and skintness

I have muscular atrophy which means i tire easily and my balance is poor.

I would love to see Rovers play at Ewood one day as i have only seen them play twice, once at the Dell (the saints old ground - we lost 2 nil) and once in the old first division at Loftus Rd against QPR, think we won 4-1.

Unfortunately the trip through London would be too much for me so... :tu:

Obviously I am over the moon that he bagged and assisted (which I know is the main thing) But he vanished for the most part of the match - or so i thought anyway <_<

Players like Owen & Shevenchko do the same but they're still quality players.

Edited by grizfoot

Perhaps a slightly misguided view after a monstrous week in the life of being a Rovers supporter.

Rovers were obviously always going to have a hangover from European football, its well documented that EVERY team that plays in Europe suffers.

My day started badly as soon as I reached the turnstyle. My season ticket was rejected as some muppet trainee had cancelled my season ticket. Irate is not a word that I would have used and having had a bollocking by the local old bill I eventually managed to enter the JW Upper 5 minutes after the kick off.

I was NOT impressed.

Initially Rovers looked lethargic, a little probing and some stupid defensive errors made me think that defeat was inevitable. That changed as we got some luck and went 1-0 up. It was quickly changed when from nowhere the defence opened up wider than the local dyke as Barton was allowed to equalise.

At that point there was only one winner and it wasn't Rovers.

Once again, a Manchester team suffered at the hands of an MGP free kick, 2-1 just before half time. Planning on a cuppa and a bite to eat I made my way to the exit just in time to see Rovers commit hari Kari and score again, this time in their own net, 2-2 was not the way I expected half time and at that I had totally lost any appetite for a pint and a pie.

As the team emerged for the second half, I was amazed to see no Tugay and even more amazed to see Mokoena at the heart of the midfield. Someone somehwere had reckoned he was what Rovers needed and by christ just how right was that person.

Aaron and Nonda transformed the Rovers formation.

At last the centre of defence was sealed and we had a bit of steel to cope with Barton's rampaging through the middle.

As the game progressed I had the feeling of Salzburg,a late goal or something similar to really ruin my weekend.

But, alas, my fears were unfounded as firstly Benni slotted home after a quick throw it and then to round it off Gally fired in a classic finish to condemn a very poor city outfit to yet another travelling defeat.

4-2 was not the score I expected but it was however, gratefully received.

My take on the game is rather simple. At times Rovers were poor, were sluggish and didnt have the appetite for a fight. We allowed to many balls to be given away and were non existant in the attacking mode.

Without Brad, just where would Rovers be ?

Lucas, Zurab, Andre and Emerton as a back four doesnt worjk for me. Lucas is great, Emerton is more than adequate. Its the two central pairing that worries me.

In midfield, Tugay continues to baffle. He CAN pass the ball and he DOES give too many balls away. Savage was great, his normal self, Bentley did oaky but he again flatters to deceive. MGP is the original enigma. Please change your name back to Pederson.

Up front, Jeffers was way off the mark and Benni was short of support in the first half.

A change in the second saw Nonda enter the fray coupled with Mokoena coming on for Tugay. What a difference !

I think that Nonda has shown he has appetite, he can run, he is comfortable and will work well with Benni. We have also seen that Mokoena has the skill to play a part in this Rovers team. We have also seen that basic footballing principles that Rovers have shown in the past 12 months need honing.

4-2 does not hide the fact that we were fortunate to get 3 points. We now have 3 games that will form our season. Boro away followed by Wigan and Bolton at home.

9 points from that little lot PLUS a European win will see Rovers take a massive stride forward.

Play Up Rovers as the hard games are looming.

Not really sure where to post this as it is about today's game but equally so it's about ticketing as well!

Could not decided whether to go or not today as I am skint but had to go up North for my dads 60th Birthday Party! I decided that as i was up and wasnt likely to get to a game until Fulham, I should make the most of it and thought I would try out the cheap seats! I got a ticket for £24 in the Jack Walker Lower - it was a crap seat and i wasnt even in line with the pitch! But anyway it soon became apparent I was surrounded by several Man City fans. When they equalised 3 jumped up and cheered. Obviously the Rovers fans were annoyed and tried to get them chucked out - rather than chuck them out they were moved stand. Then at half time another 10 fans at least must have gone to the stewards and asked to move stands. The stewards let them for safety reason I guess but I was annoyed because they only paid £24 to get into the game and were moved into the Darwen end which I think was £34 - so they made a saving of 10 quid - not exactly sending out the right message! THey wouldnt have moved me into the Blackburn end though would they!

It is very clear as an away fan how to get discounted ticket!

(Sorry if someone has already posted this but it has jst taken me 4 hours to get back down the M6 as all the Man Utd and Arsenal fans were also coming back down the M6 :angry: :ph34r: :ph34r: )

I thought the centre backs had much more protection in the 2nd half when Aaron was superb-maybe MH will have to play him there more regularly.

As far as Barton's goal is comcerned, it struck me that no-one was picking him up from midfield,which has been a problem for many years, especially when we don't have a defensive midfielder. The interesting thing on MOTD2 was that if Emerton had been in tune with the rest of the defence, Barton would have been off side as he was 10 yards behind the rest of the defence.

I thought Nonda made a very impressive debut, despite being a long way from match fitness. He looked like an out and out striker and he looked as though he really does have a lot of potential. Looked much better than Jeffers.

The interesting rumour I heard at Ewood, emanating from Brockhall and involving a media source rather than a paid employee, concerned Todd and Gray. Allegedely, it will have to be dire circumstances before either plays for the 1st team again. Todd was supposed to have had a major row with MH about Oojer going straight into the team, despite not having trained with them. Gray's problem was not confronting Rooney, but rather being paralytic.

I thought the centre backs had much more protection in the 2nd half when Aaron was superb-maybe MH will have to play him there more regularly.

As far as Barton's goal is comcerned, it struck me that no-one was picking him up from midfield,which has been a problem for many years, especially when we don't have a defensive midfielder. The interesting thing on MOTD2 was that if Emerton had been in tune with the rest of the defence, Barton would have been off side as he was 10 yards behind the rest of the defence.

I thought Nonda made a very impressive debut, despite being a long way from match fitness. He looked like an out and out striker and he looked as though he really does have a lot of potential. Looked much better than Jeffers.

The interesting rumour I heard at Ewood, emanating from Brockhall and involving a media source rather than a paid employee, concerned Todd and Gray. Allegedely, it will have to be dire circumstances before either plays for the 1st team again. Todd was supposed to have had a major row with MH about Oojer going straight into the team, despite not having trained with them. Gray's problem was not confronting Rooney, but rather being paralytic.

Both stories are of course allegedly true.

Pleased with 3 points, impressed with Nonda - feel he and Benni could form a really useful partnership. The Axe was a revelation today - shored up the leaky defence admirably.

As an aside was surprised how quiet Dickov was - far from being the irritating and moaning player he is normally; he was really subdued. Good to see the applause as he left the pitch.

I managed to miss the first half on Sky's highlights and had to watch MOTD to catch any of it. I think I was spared a stress related ulcer having all that condensed into a few minutes. Not since we got beaten in the UEFA Cup by the Turksih club a few years ago have I seen a Rovers defence look so utterly inept. I dread to think what would have happened to us without those those two delightfully jammy goals.

The second half showed a lot of promise though and Hughes deserves immense credit for turning it around. The Axe did exactly the job we had been needing in the first 45 and Nonda looked pretty sharp - that turn he made near the end was exquisite. Props as well to Morten for being alert enough to move so quickly for the throw-in that led to the third goal.

Hopefully finally getting a bit of luck will spur the boys on. We've proved we can score goals, I just hope the defence can get its collective act together sharpish.

After sleeping on the result and performance I still feel the same - good win, much needed three points but a worringly awful performance. The first half was dire, from both sides, and if the PL is the best league in the world this game should be reported to trading standards. Rovers couldn't do anything right and City are just plain bad, I don't believe we are a poor team but so far we have haven't shown we are a good one.

Truth be told a better team than City could have been 5-0 up before we got a sniff at goal. I think I counted nine City chances in the first half, it was only thanks to Thatcher and Pedersen that we went in level at half-time. Defensively we were very poor and the rest of the side was struggling to put two passes together. I don't think anyone was especially bad, just the team wasn't working as a unit. Note we didn't create anything!

That Sparky made two changes at half-time, said it all. The guy next to me said to his five year-old visiting Rovers for the first time "Our manager is very, very angry with some of the players" :) Well I hope he was. Those changes made a big difference, I've always been more confident than most in Mokoena and thought he played well today. Nonda looks like a very good signing, give him the ball and he goes for goal, he doesn't try to bring in the rest of the team, he wants to score. His quick thinking at the thrown-in made the third goal simplicity itself for MGP and Benni.

If this is true, and we appear to have major defensive problems, it's difficult to know how to respond. I would support Hughes, I can't moan about footballers who don't give a monkeys and then do anything other than support the manager when he disciplines them. A pity because I like Gray and we need Todd, who is behaving very childishly.

For me the defensive problems revolve around communication, neither Ouijer nor Zurab seem to be talkative players. Ouijer was all over the place yesterday, didn't seem to know where he should be in relation to the rest of the team. I imagine either Nelsen or Todd alongside him would have sorted this. This raises a question about Neill's captaincy, on pitch he should sorting it out, if he can't see the problem of two centre backs not communicating he should not be captain. I happily ranted at Ouijer yesterday when he scored, in fact I'd have driven him home to Holland but we must give him a chance if Todd and Gray are finished. What about McEveley, Neill, Zurab/Ouijer, Emerton?

After Hughes made the half-time changes our midfield looked strange. Who would create the chances? The Axe and Savage wouldn't, generally MGP doesn't create much, leaving us with Bentley. Better sies would have quickly spotted this and closed us down. I'm wondering if McCarthy could play deeper, even in midfield?

After a 4-2 home win I should feel much encouraged. I'm relieved we have three points and sit 12th this morning but still worried. There were glimpses of Blackburn Rovers yesterday but only glimpses. Don't underestimate how awful City were. This was a very poor game of football between one very bad team and another that is struggling to get going this season. Sparky knows this wasn't the great result it appears to be, I hope he can tighten things up befre we go to Boro.

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.