BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

[Archived] Rovers 1-1Tottenham

One thing we can take from this match was the performance of Stephane Henchoz. I thought he was outstanding and I'd like to see him start alongside Oiijer for our next match.

Tugay did give away a penalty but should never have been sent off, while the Mido incident was questionable - I personally thought it struck close to his shoulder.

As for the elbowing, well the replays were pretty damning.

• Replies 280
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Well having looked at my DVD recording of the match and played the two penalty incidents over and over again, I am forced to conclude as a lot have aready done that technically (and that is all it was) Tugay did appear to catch the guy's foot as he was lying on the deck, Should that be a penalty? I would not have given it if I had been reffing, (discretion in interpretation of the rule) but then there is the question of the Spuds player making an absolute meal of it and rolling over about 2 or 3 times. An obvious case of simulation if ever there was one, and should have been treated as such by any fair minded official. For me taking all in all ... no penalty, and a serious talking to for the Spuds player; no need to consult the assistant at all.

As for the question of Mido's hand ball in the area, the replay shows he does move his arm towards the ball and make slight contact and it also shows the flight of the ball is changed as a result. That one is a stone-wall penalty because it MUST have been deliberate. Contrast that with the one given against us in the Villa game when the ball allegedly struck Ooijer high on the arm, but the replay shows it hitting him (with no movement on his part towards the ball) on the area high up on his chest but including part of his shoulder. And in that case the ball was driven at Ooijer so that he had no possibility of avoiding it. How could that one be a penalty, and the Mido one not be?

These are questions that Blackburn Rovers FC should be officially asking of the F.A. and insisting on a proper and open enquiry into ALL the penalty decisions that have caused controversy this season. Yes, including the ones where we know we were in the wrong i.e. McCarthy's dive at Sheffield Utd. And while we are at it I think this would be a time to invite ALL the clubs that feel aggrieved at penalty decisions this year to join forces and put THEIR grievances forward to the F.A. and let's get this refereeing question brought right to the top of the agenda. It NEEDS to be sorted out for everybodies sake, including the officials themselves.

Edited by Fife Rover

I think if this match has taught us anything, it is that when we play other teams, the opposition always get the benefit of the doubt when it comes to fouls on them which might or might not be freekicks, penalties or bookings/sendings off's. Granted Ghaly's elbow should have been a yellow card as should Tugay's foul if it was a penalty which i still think it isnt. However Mido should have been sent off earlier in the match for a horrible 2 footed lunge. Also it was a penalty and i think that if it isnt then the other penalties of the same sort which should have been given to us throughout the season should be looked at again.

It is starting to look like our season is going to get ruined by very poor refereeing... oh well :tu:

Also Zakora's going over injured when Peter was off down the pitch and the referee stopping play when it was obvious Zakora was acting injured on purpose was disgraceful. Anyone see the smile as his physio helped him off the pitch. What a CHEAT!!

Look at the Penalty given against OOyah the other week and Mido's "handball" and tell me if you were a ref which would YOU give as a penalty. This is the inconsistancy in the game. People throw their arms up at the "conspiracy theory" but there is something perhaps it's not intentional but something happens to these refs when we get 'em. For some reason they decide it is OK for every 50-50 decision should be given against us. Another good example, Bert and Mido wrestling a bit for the ball Bert starts to win Mido knows it so flops to the ground (he's way bigger and stronger) but Bert had positoin and won the right. What happens free kick Spurs. They score from the free kick, which thankully was disallowed but it is the smaller things like this that happen week in and week out that ticks me off.

Ref's are going to miss decisions but when there is a pattern in a game one has to question why.

It's almost like the ref's are thinking no one cares if I make a few decisions against lil ol Blackburn but if I upset one of the big dogs I'll get berated in the media.

I think if this match has taught us anything, it is that when we play other teams, the opposition always get the benefit of the doubt when it comes to fouls on them which might or might not be freekicks, penalties or bookings/sendings off's. Granted Ghaly's elbow should have been a yellow card as should Tugay's foul if it was a penalty which i still think it isnt. However Mido should have been sent off earlier in the match for a horrible 2 footed lunge. Also it was a penalty and i think that if it isnt then the other penalties of the same sort which should have been given to us throughout the season should be looked at again.

It is starting to look like our season is going to get ruined by very poor refereeing... oh well :tu:

Also Zakora's going over injured when Peter was off down the pitch and the referee stopping play when it was obvious Zakora was acting injured on purpose was disgraceful. Anyone see the smile as his physio helped him off the pitch. What a CHEAT!!

Look at the Penalty given against OOyah the other week and Mido's "handball" and tell me if you were a ref which would YOU give as a penalty. This is the inconsistancy in the game. People throw their arms up at the "conspiracy theory" but there is something perhaps it's not intentional but something happens to these refs when we get 'em. For some reason they decide it is OK for every 50-50 decision should be given against us. Another good example, Bert and Mido wrestling a bit for the ball Bert starts to win Mido knows it so flops to the ground (he's way bigger and stronger) but Bert had positoin and won the right. What happens free kick Spurs. They score from the free kick, which thankully was disallowed but it is the smaller things like this that happen week in and week out that ticks me off.

Ref's are going to miss decisions but when there is a pattern in a game one has to question why.

It's almost like the ref's are thinking no one cares if I make a few decisions against lil ol Blackburn but if I upset one of the big dogs I'll get berated in the media.

How did I manage that?

Edited by USABlue

Up front it was all wrong. I'm starting to wonder whether Nonda is just a fair weather player - plays well with the sun on his back but goes missing in the cold and the wet. He was just awful today. No movement, no strength, no hold up play, no work-rate, no skill. No good. I was a big fan when he first joined but I'm starting to lose patience with him. McCarthy wasn't much better to be honest but at least he shows the odd brilliant flash here and there, enough to make you think he might score soon.

We are not scoring because we keep playing in cross after cross from the wings to two forwards who will not / cannot head the ball. Yesterday of numerous occasions neither of em even attempted to meet a cross. We need to supply them differently as per the disallowed goal, and if not then Nonda is due a spell on the bench in favour of Jeffers.

Hopefully the Tugay red card will be overturned now that the appeal is being launched as it was a rotten decision by whichever one of the officals was responsible. Despite all the disappointment over the red card however, we seemed to play our best stuff of the match when we were a man down.

The Mido incident was definitely a penalty, however - intentional or not, his arm affected the flight of the ball in the area. How can that not be a penalty?

Edited by Radagast

If you remember that's more or less exactly what Graham Poll admitted in the "big club bias" thread I started.

Although I didn't think we were particularly hard done by yesterday, I thought the handball given against Ooijer away at Villa Park was ridiculous.

The clearest example I can think of is the Carling Cup semi against the red scum at the theatre of merchandising the other year. Two absolutely identical "handballs" neither of which were penalties in a month of Sundays.

The one against Zurab, ref couldn't blow fast enough. The one against Rio, ref never even looked twice.

Ref's name errrrrrrrrrrrrrrr..................... Graham Poll. :huh:

the bottom line is we got 1 point, cheated by the ref's and we have stopped a run of 4 defeats.

the attitude of the players was excellent when we went down to 10 men, we showed a lot of fight and spirit which i think has been missing from a few games recently and we didn't fold and bury our heads in the sand.

mido is crap, i'm so glad he didn't sign for us, what a waste of money!!!

tugay should win the red card appeal, awsome goal also.

i don't know what gray has been eating/drinking last week but he was quality, keep that up and his name will be first on the team sheet.

roll on holland!!

Hopefully the Tugay red card will be overturned now that the appeal is being launched as it was a rotten decision by whichever one of the officals was responsible.

I can't actually see us having any joy with an appeal because there was contact, it was a foul, and if Tugay was the last man (I wasn't at an angle to be able to see that) it was technically the correct decision.

Although I think in this particular instance the ref should certainly have used his discretion and not sent him off.

Interesting how if it happens to Rovers its ok, but if it happens because of Rovers its cheating...

Also interesting how you had to go back a year to find something bad about rovers, and yet something like this happens every game against Rovers and its perfectly ok. Were not a cheating team, and its been over a year since something rovers did something wrong like this. Anyway, i still think it was a foul on pederson anyway, agree with the guy before. It would have been or should have been a penalty if pederson didnt put it in...

Look again Bellamy. I think you'll find that Pederson was being fouled at the time. Carr (I think) was clearly pulling him back otherwise Pederson would almost certainly have got his head on it.

Bowyer (who, for the record, looks nothing like Carr) was ahead of MGP so I'd like to know how he can pull him anywhere other than towards the ball. If that's a foul then football really is turning into ballet. They're barely touching. And Kuqi shouldered the ball to him anyway.

Yes it's bloody annoying and yes we've had far more bad luck than good luck this year. But lets not pretend it doesn't happen. There are plenty of occasions where referees haven't given the opposition penalties, some of which have been very clear cut. Chelsea at home last season for example. Of the three appeals one was stone-wall and another could have gone either way.

I can't believe we didn't get the penalty yesterday but we were unlucky and I don't think we have much to worry about at all. I'm far more concerned that we aren't creating many chances for our forwards than I am worried that referees want us out of the league for some reason.

There are plenty of occasions where referees haven't given the opposition penalties, some of which have been very clear cut.

Agreed. Of all teams United were denied a stonewall penalty on the stroke of half time last week when Saha was bundled over from behind.

I'm sure the RFW would have had plenty to say about it had they not gone on to win.

And me too.

Gavin Peacock is surely a Spuds fan.

probably holds a grudge, pretty sure mark hughes replaced him in the chelsea side and he was flogged to QPR the following season.

i've heard he's a born again christian. if his is, i hope he went to confession this morning.

Tugay's goal was unreal, that will be hard to beat for goal of the season. I didn't see the penalty decisions that were and were not given or the red cards. But from what I've read, Tugay's was a penalty but didn't deserve to be sent off, Mido should have been penalised for handling the ball and Spurs seem extremely upset with Ghaly's red card. I'm still disappointed that we didn't win and the goals from our forwards seem to have dried up.

I noticed after we went down to 10 that Oojer seemed to play in front of Henchoz and step up at times into midfield. Was he doing that before the penalty?

As Scotty argued, Henchoz got pulled over to the left but Tugay should never have had to be the last man. Where were the other defenders?

And indeed it was ironical that Tugay did track back as our centre midfield often doesn't!

Interesting how if it happens to Rovers its ok, but if it happens because of Rovers its cheating...

and yet something like this happens every game against Rovers and its perfectly ok.

It seems the only way we'll ever win games is if we score three or four, putting the game well beyond the reach of the opposition and the referee. :ph34r:

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.