Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

[Archived] Blackburn 1- 3 Newcastle

ihtd

• Replies 329
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

It's so annoying.

The other week David James blatently took out the striker (can't remember who) making no attempt to play the ball and gets a yellow card.

And then Tugay gets sent off for accidently taking somebody out, when Friedel was still on the line.

Shocking irregularities

Edited by BuckyRover

It's so annoying.

The other week David James blatently took out the striker (can't remember who) making no attempt to play the ball and gets a yellow card.

And then Tugay gets sent off for accidently taking somebody out, when Friedel was still on the line.

Shocking irregularities

Bucky I certainly agree with both examples that you've listed. How Tugay didn't get his ban overturned was a joke. However I think that the Henchoz one was more or less right (certainly at least a yellow) and didn't hold any hope of a reprieve. I think we would have all been pretty annoyed if it had been a striker of ours and their defender in the same situation and he hadnt have got sent off.

As for consistency and us getting a break or two...well that's a different matter!

Bucky I certainly agree with both examples that you've listed. How Tugay didn't get his ban overturned was a joke. However I think that the Henchoz one was more or less right (certainly at least a yellow) and didn't hold any hope of a reprieve. I think we would have all been pretty annoyed if it had been a striker of ours and their defender in the same situation and he hadnt have got sent off.

As for consistency and us getting a break or two...well that's a different matter!

Its to do with part of the rules on appealing red cards. You can only appeal against making contact, not as to if you are the last man or not. Like Tugays it had no chance of success.

B)-->

QUOTE(Ste B @ Dec 12 2006, 16:42 ) 467222[/snapback]

Its to do with part of the rules on appealing red cards. You can only appeal against making contact, not as to if you are the last man or not. Like Tugays it had no chance of success.

You spelt some of that wrong.

It should say "you can only appeal if you are not playing for Blackburn Rovers. Like Tugay's it had no chance of success."

B)-->

QUOTE(Ste B @ Dec 12 2006, 16:42 ) 467222[/snapback]

Its to do with part of the rules on appealing red cards. You can only appeal against making contact, not as to if you are the last man or not.

Who actually makes up these idiotic rules?

Do they actually try to get more bizarre and outlandish with each one for no apparent reason?

Bring back Esther Rantzen. I''ve got a new bunch of pathetic jobsworths to bring to her attention.

Someone's winning bets on how long they can make us swallow this tripe, surely...

...they do stipulate that.

They shouldn't though - I'm sure the majority of away fans in the boxes behave perfectly fine but it's just a few that spoil it from time to time. Same with away fans in home areas...as long as they behave reasonably and don't taunt the home fans.

Usually I'm more disgusted with the over-the-top and often violent reactions from some of the home support which is often unnecessarily harsh. The fans complaining about Noel Brotherston's son and his friend and getting them manhandled and kicked out despite being Rovers fans just for the crime of taking a picture says it all. Is such a response really necessary? A quick chat and it would most likely have been sorted out. Shame some can''t seem to handle a goal against the team like an adult but have to lash out. They weren't taunting anyone...they were taking a picture of some footballing superstars - CALL THE POLICE! :lol:

On the other hand there was the Man City game so I do realise why some are so against any away fans at all in home areas. As long as Rovers ask them to not smack the windows and taunting fans might work, well if they threatened to fine if they did it might anyway. :P

Not that it was perfect in the old days (despite what some might say)...football violence involving Rovers has been going on since Victorian days! ;)

Edited by FourLaneBlue

there were people fighting in the BBE after the game on Saturday over why MGP was given the MOTM award. Ended with 7 police surrounding one guy and a lad (who had been foul mouthed and annoying as hell all the way through) being led away by his mates with his nose pouring with blood and ever so slightly bent! Must admit it was slightly amusing to those stood watching :blink: not that I'm condoning it mind. Shows how petty arguments can get out of hand in an environment such as the match.

Edited by key76

Because I'm a girly woose!!! I sit in my office with a heater on (winter or summer- the air-conditioning makes it too cold).

I whine when the temperature drops below sub-tropical and my house's thermostat is set at 28 degrees.

I'm probably responsible for global warming all on my own!

You must have been struggling towards the end of the Krakow game then. It certainly chilled down there at dusk.

Even if i had the money to buy a box i wouldn't purchase one, mainly because i much prefer to be in the stands with the true loyal fans and not with the up them selves business people who couldn't care less about the club.

You sound daft gazsimm. "business people who couldn't care less about the club"? Rover's best ever supporter built his own private suite for goodness sake! Why do you think that you are more of a "true loyal fan" than Jack Walker?

I would guess that most of the directors are classed as quite good supporters too yet how many of them do you see on the BBE? What about the 500 club? After the likes of Burdie, John Pittard etc more dedicated supporters than them would be hard to find. Trying to be seen as some sort of embittered working class hero who is more valuable to BRFC than anybody else is a poor attitude to adopt.

No surprises here:-

Henchoz Appeal Verdict

I don't think we had any valid grounds for appealing with either the Tugay or Henchoz sendings off.

You could probably argue with some justification that the law in this area is an ass but in both instances under the letter of the law the referee was in my view correct or at worst both decisions were open to interpretation. There's no way the decisions were definitely wrong.

We should have held our hands up on these and taken our punishment. We might be starting to be seen as serial timewasters at the FA and get knocked back when we've got a really valid case.

Talk of there being some sort of conspiracy against Rovers is utter tosh imo. Although does anyone else feel referees have been a tad less sympathetic since Hughes was quoted in the press about complaining to referee's chief (Keith Hackett?) about general levels of officiating?

B)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Ste B @ Dec 12 2006, 16:42 ) 467222[/snapback]</div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->

You spelt some of that wrong.

It should say "you can only appeal if you are not playing for Blackburn Rovers. Like Tugay's it had no chance of success."

Errr...........how come Andy Todd's (perfectly valid) appeal was upheld after the opening game of the season at Portsmouth then?

I don't think we had any valid grounds for appealing with either the Tugay or Henchoz sendings off.

Stuff the letter of the law Simon, most of them we know are definitely left open to the referees interpretation. I still think that to send a person off the offence must have been intentional and Tugays was most definitely not intentional as the trip was with the foot that he had tucked under his leading leg. Football is played at a wicked pace now and to brandish red cards for something so obviously unintended is farcical and prob one more reason for supporters feeling that referees are against them and voting with their feet.

We should have held our hands up on these and taken our punishment. We might be starting to be seen as serial timewasters at the FA and get knocked back when we've got a really valid case.

Yep, that's one perspective Rev. Another is that these incidents get seen by the 'powers that be' and they wouldn't pay em much attention otherwise.

You sound daft gazsimm. "business people who couldn't care less about the club"? Rover's best ever supporter built his own private suite for goodness sake! Why do you think that you are more of a "true loyal fan" than Jack Walker?

I would guess that most of the directors are classed as quite good supporters too yet how many of them do you see on the BBE? What about the 500 club? After the likes of Burdie, John Pittard etc more dedicated supporters than them would be hard to find. Trying to be seen as some sort of embittered working class hero who is more valuable to BRFC than anybody else is a poor attitude to adopt.

yes but i pay hard earned cash to go and watch Rovers home and away unlike some of these numpties, most of them are just there because it's a freebi and probabley don't even support Rovers.

Jack Walker never watched a game in the box, he was always in the stand like a true fan

Stuff the letter of the law Simon, most of them we know are definitely left open to the referees interpretation. I still think that to send a person off the offence must have been intentional and Tugays was most definitely not intentional as the trip was with the foot that he had tucked under his leading leg. Football is played at a wicked pace now and to brandish red cards for something so obviously unintended is farcical and prob one more reason for supporters feeling that referees are against them and voting with their feet.

You have it spot on there - I know a number of Rovers fans who no longer go as they feel the standard of officiating is so poor that it takes the pleasure out watching football. Though I still go - I do agree with the sentiment - how many times have we been the recipients of bad refereeing. I am not saying it is a conspiracy against Rovers - more the small clubs in the EPL. Referees are only human - and the pressure they get, via the press, from high profile clubs like United - must pray on their minds during the split second decision making during a match. Add to this increased vocal support from better supported clubs - again you have to be a very strong character not to be occasional swayed by the shout of "Penalty" from the Kop etc.

It's so annoying.

Shocking irregularities

so flaming true but its been going like this for us for 2?3? seasons now...

Errr...........how come Andy Todd's (perfectly valid) appeal was upheld after the opening game of the season at Portsmouth then?

He won the appeal because the replays showed he made contact with the ball. Nothing to do with being last man or not.

B)-->

QUOTE(Ste B @ Dec 14 2006, 18:08 ) 468007[/snapback]

He won the appeal because the replays showed he made contact with the ball. Nothing to do with being last man or not.

Yes, but Tris was implying we could not possibly win an appeal because we are li'l old Blackburn Rovers.

There's undoubtedly a huge bias, subconscious or otherwise, from refs in favour of the "big four" but in terms of being one of the other sixteen clubs, to suggest we get treated less favourably than anyone else is rubbish imo.

On Radio Lancs today MH said he was pleased with the quality of EUFA refereeing, in that, unlike in the Premiership, the refs are making decisons based on what is happening rather than the reputation of the club.

MH says that Hackett admitted this might be the case in the Premiership.

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.