SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

[Archived] Blackburn 1- 3 Newcastle

ihtd

• Replies 329
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Thing is Lechuck, most of the teams in the premiership will go through a patch where they play badly, but what they don't always have is the bad luck with refereeing decisions that we seem to have had. Play badly or not, one decision can lose you a game. I feel like we have lost games where other team sin our position haven't, purely because of refereeing decisions.

Oh come off it. We put in a terrible performance (on the back of several poor performances) and all you can do is criticise the officials/laws of the game.

We're in the position we are now because some players are not playing well enough. These are the same officials and rules of the game that we used when we finished sixth last season. Interesting that you didn't dig up that 'transfer window' topic last season when we were doing well, isn't it? :rolleyes:

Stop whining about everything else. If you have to play the blame game then at least aim it in the right direction - the players and the management. If they were doing the jobs they are capable of doing then you wouldn't be moaning about the rest.

I don't think anybody on here is excusing the performance in the first half, or more correctly the last 20 minutes of the first half. But face facts. In the last 4 games we have had 2 players dubiously sent off with straight reds when other teams, Portsmouth and Middlesboro to name but two in the same period, have had far more blatant "goalscoring opportunities" players yellow carded. We have a squad stretched to breaking point through injury and to throw in unwarranted 3 match suspensions to that ain't going to help.

Bit of a concern that for the second game running Hughes has had to make two substitutions at half-time. Reminds me of Souness slightly who never seemed to know his best team and made changes at half-time many times. Not that I'm comparing them too much but instead of solely blaming the players I must say that some of the team selections this season have baffled. MGP is poor yet keeps playing and looking tired. Why not try Peter just for a couple of games and at least let MGP have a breather? The Nonda and Benni partnership has looked about as potent as a neutered gerbil for some time so who start today...Nonda and Benni. There are times to play 4-5-1 but we seem to be just going for 4-4-2. We all know Mokoena can't play as a central midfielder in a 4-4-2 yet when Savage was injured Hughes played him there...and we lost the Prem games while our central midfielders were overrun.

Hughes has proved to be a very good manager for the club so far and we are lucky to have him but some of his decisions recently have been baffling. Now I'm not trying to suggest I know better than Sparky as I don't but hopefully he will make changes in the future if things aren't working. Neither playing MGP all the time or Nonda/Benni up front seem to be working. Hughes needs to come up with a Plan B as we can't just wait until the transfer window - it is still quite a few games away yet. Another worry - Todd back in today. We aren't a club that can easily afford to ostracise players from the squad yet wasn't this his first league appearance since the first week of the season? Isn't that cutting off our nose to spite our face somewhat?

Do others think these are these valid concerns or not? It's easy to form knee-jerk reactions after a defeat but I think some of these issues have been slowly boiling away for a while.

Ah well...Europe next up! For the first time in our history European games are actually a nice break from the league!

Your concerns are certainly valid. I think that Hughes wants to play to his own style and in his own system, despite not having thw quality or depth to do so. Maybe that is a flaw in his managerial ability? Maybe that it's niaivity from a lack of experience? He is a superb manager, but maybe too stubborn. If he was backed by the board, we wouldn't be in this position.

As for Todd, well I'd have played him over sacrificing the ability of the team to get back into the game - I think Hughes was certainly right in playing him. If he wants back in, then this is his chance.

Further edit: I also agree that Peter should be played ahead of MGP. But I certainly understand Hughes's desire to stick with the tried and tested and those with more experience when you are in a position like this. It is somewhat of a gamble to play the youth team when you are a few points off the relegation zone.

Edited by tcj_jones

All season there has been discussion about referee's , i don't think we have had bad referee's most just seem to be crucial decisions at times that affect the outcome of the game

Portsmouth Todd sending off penalty that never was

Chelsea Terry Penalty

Sheff Utd Penalties

Bolton Goal that wasn't, Penalty that wasn't

West Ham Offside, then corner from an handball by them

Villa Handball & penalty for them but not for us later

Spurs Tugay sending off and penalty

until the last two home games, when I think Bennett was very one sided and today Gallagher was very poor against the rovers

I didnt get to todays game, or Wednesday's game against Charlton, and have had to draw conclusions from the radio commentary and comments posted here by members who attended the matches.

You can therefore disregard the following comments if you like.

We cannot continue to blame injuries or referees and linemen for poor performances.

I now know how Fulham supporters felt a couple of weeks ago, On Wednesday night and the first half today, the team never turned up.

I can accept defeat when the team put in an effort, but from what Ive heard and read there are to many players that arent prepared to battle for the cause.

I said it in another topic.

In the current crop of players do we have the players prepared to battle it out. Where are the Flitcrofts and Shorts. I hope Im wrong but will the likes of Benni, Zurab and Nonda have the bottle when things turn pear shaped. Neil is already packing his bags to jump ship in January and Pedersen hasnt got the bottle even when things are going ok.

Without being pesimistic and we get into the religation dog fight how many of the current team would you want in your corner. More so how many of them have the bottle or experience to battle it out.

Spurs Tugay sending off and penalty

The penalty to spurs was just a penalty, granted a dodgy one! The mido handball was the worse decision of the game!

Ref's don't seem accountable for their blatently bad decisions, not to mention the countless offsides assistants get wrong. I'm not saying it is an easy job but if they get them wrong then shouldn't they face some action in whatever way shape or form.

just read Hughes comments for the game, and for the first time I'll allow myself to have a go at him.

positives ?! what positives ??? We're being thumped left and right by every below-average team, yet again "decisions" didn't go our way, luck, and of course my favorite "we'll be ok if we play like this...", etc, etc

Well this is how it goes at Rovers. The reffs will always hate us, "lady luck" ain't gonna comeback no matter how long we wait, as Souness can atest. Things aren't going to change by themselves, and we can take our "positives" to the Championship the way we're going.

I think he and a lot of the players need to realize just how serious the situation is getting, and that drastic changes are needed.

4-5-1, gentlemen (and ladies), it's the future. We need points and we need them now - there's no point trying (and failing) to play football when you don't have the team to do it (be it through a lack of activity in the transfer window, the reluctance to drop underperforming players, or indeed injuries).

It's sad to see, but this season is about survival right now. Bring back Mokoena into the spoiler role and let's grind out some results.

Thought Derbyshire did okay, well he looked a lot better than Nonda anyway.

Gray was terrible today, maybe its not his fault he's losing his pace at his tender age. But Milner beat him with ease on numerous occasions, once he even had to run around Mickey and he still got to the ball first.

Eleven men first half = complete rubbish

Ten men second half = Worked hard and could have got at least a 2-2 out of the game

We are becoming a second-half team.

Oh yeah and some credit must go to Pedersen today who actually did something. ;)

Having just caught a few moments on MOTM, it's clear the first goal was not offside, the second possibly was offside and Henchoz only deserved a yellow at the most. But we were 2-0 down by then so I doubt it made much difference.

I hope Hughes bringing on Derbyshire at HT is a sign of things to come.

It's about time that some of these complacent first team 'untouchables' got their due treatment and were axed.

BUT please - no recourse to 4-5-1. Our defence isn't strong enough to play such a cagey 1-0 aspiring game. Even with the 'great' Mokoena patrolling in front of them.

Edited by rover6

First goal was not offside as many in the Riverside thought. Second goal was also Ok even though Hughesy didnt like it. Henchoz`s red was debatable; could have been a yellow but ref was correct in terms of the laws. Derbyshire was OK at best ; looked lightweight but maybe worth a place on Wed.Nonda was awful and has lost interest.Mcarthy is a class player who needs some service but I agree is offside too often.

Just seen the sky extended highlights. No complaints with the first goal at all, he was just level. However the second goal it is 100% a foul on Micky Gray and then to follow that there is no doubt Taylor is active and in an offside position.

Then the sending off is another patetic ref following the law to the letter rather engaging his brain and using common sense. Not only is there no intent, he wins the ball and that is not a clear goal scoring opportunity!

How did we not get something out of that? Second Half performance was top draw!

Goal is out of the top draw, the punch by the letter of the law, which we all know Mr Gallagher works to, should have been a straight red and i thought even without a replay that the handball was very clear and should have been picked up by the assistant.

Edited by modes98

Oh come off it. We put in a terrible performance (on the back of several poor performances) and all you can do is criticise the officials/laws of the game.

We're in the position we are now because some players are not playing well enough. These are the same officials and rules of the game that we used when we finished sixth last season. Interesting that you didn't dig up that 'transfer window' topic last season when we were doing well, isn't it? :rolleyes:

Stop whining about everything else. If you have to play the blame game then at least aim it in the right direction - the players and the management. If they were doing the jobs they are capable of doing then you wouldn't be moaning about the rest.

Where did I say that we didn't put in a terrible performance? Read the post first Le Chuck.

Referees decisions have cost us this season. Watching 'Brough against Wigan tonight and the ref Steve Bennett, gave Wigan a pen for the 'Brough player bringing down the wigan forward as he was about to head the ball home. Red card? No, why not?

Well?

Okay, first things first.

I thought we were very unlucky in the 1st half not to at least score one, whilst Newcastle had three chances and scored two. (IIRC) We were obviously guilty of terrible defending for both goals, neither of which were offside as far as I could see - and the overrated Martins had one of his on-days. I still think he'll disappoint over time, but today he was excellent!

Second half - a lot better. Finally a goal from Gamst again, and what a goal it was. Let's hope he can build on from this, 'cause after his goal his overall game improved dramatically!!

Mickey Gray - AWFUL, just awful! Milner skinned him time and time again, and this led to the second goal - luckily not more. Milner looks like a real prospect btw, I wasn't aware he was that good. The sending off was a bit strict, but after seeing it multiple times I can se how someone (more precisely mr.Gallagher) can justify his actions. Even though Henchoz managed to head the ball, it was still there for Martins to take into his stride, and Ooijer was too far away to stop him. Then Henchoz landed on Martins' feet whilst tugging his shirt, so fair enough - we've certainly seen worse decisions.

Derbyshire: Glad to see someone with that much pace and good work ethic come through, but he'll need a few hours in the gym, he was brushed off way too easily. (also, a bit too eager to ask the ref for help)

Good to see him get a shot though, it was a different choice by Sparky.

I thought Savage had a terrible 1st half, mistimed tackles and lost the ball one several occasions - but he improved in the 2nd and helped us take control of the game again.

All in all, a decent performance - the result is a bit flattering for Newcastle - but they put their chances away and we didn't: Simple as that!

Where did I say that we didn't put in a terrible performance? Read the post first Le Chuck.

Referees decisions have cost us this season. Watching 'Brough against Wigan tonight and the ref Steve Bennett, gave Wigan a pen for the 'Brough player bringing down the wigan forward as he was about to head the ball home. Red card? No, why not?

Well?

Wouldn't bother with Le Chuck's comments Den as I am sure he/she is a ref the way he/she is arse licking to them at the moment - seems to be conned into this oh its a foul the guy must be sent off bag of crap.

Sorry, folks we where crap and there is nobody else to blame except Sparky and the players - forget the 2nd half it was TOO EFFIN LATE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Anyway, going back a few posts I'm with Jammy on this - through the prick on the pitch and my own stupidity (I saw red)I nearly had my season ticket taken off me I was close to going over the barrier today after that decision. After the altercation of the damn steward (only doing his job I know ) I had had enough and just waited underneath until they opened the gates - I was off, wasn't bothered whether we won lost or drew from that point - my enjoyment of the game had been lost and is wearing very thin at the moment.

At the moment I am totally ###### off with so called ' rules' and interpretation bollux co-incided with the no-contact whatsoever game that the FA nearly lost another Fan today.

Fancy a Guinness Jammy, Abbey's paying :lol:

First goal was not offside as many in the Riverside thought. Second goal was also Ok even though Hughesy didnt like it. Henchoz`s red was debatable; could have been a yellow but ref was correct in terms of the laws.

Was he?

The law states "prevented a clear goal scoring opportunity"

There is no way at that distance ANYTHING is a clear goal scoring opportunity.

Edited by stuwilky

Thought Derbyshire did okay, well he looked a lot better than Nonda anyway.

Gray was terrible today, maybe its not his fault he's losing his pace at his tender age. But Milner beat him with ease on numerous occasions, once he even had to run around Mickey and he still got to the ball first.

Ever since Gray came to us, he has struggled when playing against a winger. Yesterday was just another example.

Was he?

The law states "prevented a clear goal scoring opportunity"

There is no way at that distance ANYTHING is a clear goal scoring opportunity.

you can rile at refs all you like but the simple truth is that based on that 1st half performance rovers did not derserve anything.

infact so poor have rovers performances have been lately even they have deserved very little

how many more times is Hughes going to come out and blame the ref rather than his players?

It has become a recurring theme this season

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.