BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

[Archived] Blackburn 1- 3 Newcastle

ihtd

how many more times is Hughes going to come out and blame the ref rather than his players?

It has become a recurring theme this season

I haven't read any post, where the poster is excusing the performances, but referees decisions have gone unfairly against us this season - and those decisions do change games.

• Replies 329
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Bit of a concern that for the second game running Hughes has had to make two substitutions at half-time. Reminds me of Souness slightly who never seemed to know his best team and made changes at half-time many times.

Thanks for making me feel a little better. The current disappointments are nothing compared to the days of regularly donating the first half to the opposition before 'correcting' the line-up at half-time. Good ol' Souey!

BTW - I think it's unfair to be critical of Derbyshire. He was playing in an unfamiliar position in difficult circumstances. I don't think even the player himself would claim to a midfielder. Bearing in mind some of our first team luminaries, eg, Ooijer and Gamst were pretty dire in their first few games - there's more than a little hope that Derbs will get better with games.

Finally - I wish we had signed Milner when Newcastle were stupid enough to be looking to offload him in the summer. Something tells me they won't be selling now. Then again, they refused to sell him in the end when he was all but out - so maybe it wasn't realistic.

Edited by rover6

The first half was only as bad as the City and Wigan games, only this week the other team actually managed to score a couple-Martins goal was a stunner. Second goal was awful, esp mickey Gray who had a 'mare all afternoon.

Some bad, bad omens yesterday, home supporters arguing with each other in the Jack Walker near me (not 1864!)

And the very noticeable booing of a home player, Lucas Neill. Reminds me too much of the last relegation season.

Sending off was predictable, Henchoz is slow and was limping as well so when he got skinned he hauled his man down. Upto then, I thought he was our only performer.

Like Capt Kaos, at this point I had given up and no longer cared what was going to happen next. I was a big joke.

Second half, Pedersens goal was brilliant and set the half up for a stirring comeback. But with ten men, after 75 minutes they started to flag and tiredness took over, understandably.

By the way, MGP got the Peter Jackson man-of-the-match award.

Finally, how many times do the opposition score when the goalie comes up at the end to try and save the match? Never, except against Rovers! (Not paranoid honest!)

PIE WATCH

We have a winner! Finally got to try the Meat and Potato. After my initial disapointment at the price, and the integrity of the case, the taste and texture of the filling made it this writers choice of BEST PIE IN THE GROUND.

Nearly lost the last bit as MGP scored whilst I was still eating it!

Since I moved from the Darwen End though I have missed the Ewood Bakery :(

Did anyone else notice that we may have had a penalty for a handball with 2 minutes to go? They didn't show it on MOTD.

That's hardly a shocker is it. They're as biased as anyone. Listen to the pundits..for Tugay's off and pen against Spurs it was "That's the law. They can't have any complaints" For Pearce's sending off for Fulham only the next week it's "The laws wrong and need to be changed" It makes me sick.

When we've been playing well and deserve a result the refs have robbed us and now we are going though a poor patch. Between those two factors we now have a relegation scrap on our hands. If the refs had been fair we'd be mid-table going through a bad patch. As it is were near the bottom and in trouble.

Bad play by the Rovers, true, but bad decisions by the refs, too, IMHO.

Some bad, bad omens yesterday, home supporters arguing with each other in the Jack Walker near me (not 1864!)

And the very noticeable booing of a home player, Lucas Neill. Reminds me too much of the last relegation season.

It may sound daft considering the team performance is the most important thing but this is what worried me most yesterday. It's always a really bad sign when the home support argue vociferously with each other. At HT there was a good 3-4 minute ding-dong between a lady and three men. It was the usual "Why don't you support the team when they're struggling" "They get paid ££££ and look at the *@+?&*^ they produce" type row. The man and woman who berated the team I hadn't seen before, whereas those who were defending the side are regulars in my spot.

Past experience tells me we are one poor performance away from the crowd turning on the team, which is always a very, very serious indicator of where we are headed.

The first of thiers was contestable for offside - had it been us I am sure it would have been.

Their second is clearly offside, backed up by one of my colleagues at work who loves giving me stick. For him to agree and say we are getting a bum deal from officials recently is quite something.

Again MOTD didn't show most of the incidents against us (Lucas Neill getting punched, the disallowed goals, penalty claims).

The blame lies with the players, but even so, when the ref is so against you (and anyone who has been to Ewood for any of the last four games with working eyes will tell you they have been), you can't help but wonder what might have been on an even keel.

Nothing anyone defending the refs has said is in any way convincing, and I doubt will convince me that they haven't been (more) biased (than usual) recently.

The second half performance is cause for hope, but right now I can see a return to 4-5-1 coming at least until we have any joy in the transfer window.

For me, yesterdays defending was diabolical. For thier third, I understand why Brad went upfield, but why were the only two players to get a tackle in Tugay (again) and Savage?

Agreed Ozzie.Rovers fans arguing loudly amongst themselves,many just stood in silence with a bewildered expression.Horrible memories of 98/99 come flooding back.

Was he?

The law states "prevented a clear goal scoring opportunity"

There is no way at that distance ANYTHING is a clear goal scoring opportunity.

When I saw it in real time my feeling was a red. The speedy Martins was clearly away with only the goalie in front of him. It has to be a goal scoring opportunity surely. Henchoz has lost what pace he had and the opposition know to get him isolated one on one. I think other incidents like yesterday will reoccur.

On the point of the fans behaviour I sit in the Riverside and there is a nucleus of about 3 or 4 idiots who run up to the wall at every opportunity to rebuke the linesman. I too thought he was wrong but I have to admit that he was spot on with his decision on the first goal. I am prepared to hold my hand up, will the idiots? The officials have a difficult job and more often than not they get it right. I am sure it would help reduce the tension inside a ground if we were allowed to see contentious decisions on the big screen at halftime or whenever but I dont think the clubs are allowed to do it yet.

For me, yesterdays defending was diabolical. For thier third, I understand why Brad went upfield, but why were the only two players to get a tackle in Tugay (again) and Savage?

I was quite scared that Martins would be brushed by either of them, and the subsequent fall/dive would earn Tugay or Savage another red card.. It was a blessing he scored instead of earning a red card for either of our central midfield players

Reverting to 4-5-1 would not doubt make us harder to beat. But question: If we were to fall behind could any one on here see us coming back from behind to win?

I cant for the life of me see any goals in this team at all and that is the major worry. 4-5-1 would no doubt make the goal scoring problem even worse.

Whilst the EFFORT in the second half was commendable, the truth of the matter is at 2-0 down when henchoz was sent off it was game over, like has been said it reminds me to much of the 98/99 season. The players seem to have believed the hype surrounding there tremendous season last year, and the fact is, we are not a top ten team far from it. What we have is 2 extremely lazy strikers who don't seem to understand the offside rule.

Unsure myself whether henchozs tackle merited a red card, but can see why gallagher produced it in the spur of th moment, the truthis though had Henchoz remained on the pitch we would have lost 3/4-0 so it did us a favour really.

That was a sickener.

Watching it with a bunch of Geordie ship workers didn't help either.

First off- it was actually a cracking good game. The attempts on goal statistics were Rovers 13, Newcastle 16, which shows it was a real end-to-end open game and the corner count was Rovers 7, Newcastle 4.

Everyone is forgetting that Rovers made a bright start and were on top for 20 minutes with a five minute spell they caused mayhem in the Newcastle defence, Benni had a goal chalked off and Given made an excetional save (one in the second half was even better).

The killer first half statistic was on offsides- Rovers 5, Newcastle 0.

Everyone of those 5 was Benni- everyone except the "goal" was avoidable and destroyed a great goal scoring chance. I'll forgive him the disallowed goal as he timed his move for the initial pass to perfection- problem was Nonda intercepted before playing it through in a single movement by which time Benni had gone offside and finished beautifully. However, chucking away five excellent attacking moves because Benni got his bearings wrong (or forgot to look) hurts at this level.

When Newcastle got on top we had no answer. Sky didn't show any angle to make a definitive assessment of the rather offside looking Martins for the first.

We were being ripped apart before Gray was pinioned to the floor in the set up which two players went for when the ball was crossed. Even then, the ball back had harmlessly gone back across the face of goal until MGP deliberately handled at the back post setting it up neatly for Taylor to slot home!

Henchoz certainly fouled but the red looked harsh given where it was.

Second half we pulled ourselves together and what a lovely right footed strike by MGP. GIVE THE LAD CREDIT.

Immediately afterwards, Derbyshire was through with "just" Given to beat. He looked up for a pass along the six yard box, saw nobody but still passed instead of having a go! If we'd scored two in two, we would have gone on to win.

The officials might even have seen the punch thrown by the Newcastle player.

Concluding thoughts:

Hughes did right with his half time double substitution. He needs to practise first halves though.

Derbyshire would struggle if he were not facing the third choice players in one of the worst defences in the Prem- lets be realistic.

Benni would be a cracking player if he got his offsides right.

Last season our midfield could dominate games- not this season. Combination of Reid missing and the rest being sussed out.

We are in heaps of trouble if the opposition runs strongly and quickly at our defence. How quick is Warnock?

Edited by philipl

Paul

Can you post the dates and indicate home or away as well. Ta!

:brfc:B)

Has Lee banned you? :D

Nancy (H) 19.45 13/12

Reading (A) 15.00 16/12

Arsenal (A) 15.00 23/12

Liverpool (H) 15.00 26/12

Boro (H) 15.00 30/12

Peel you a grape Mick?

Has Lee banned you? :D

Nancy (H) 19.45 13/12

Reading (A) 15.00 16/12

Arsenal (A) 15.00 23/12

Liverpool (H) 15.00 26/12

Boro (H) 15.00 30/12

Peel you a grape Mick?

I've never bothered with links to the Rovers site because you have to register but yours worked!

Thanks anyway.

:brfc:B)

Another defeat against mediocre opposition - a very worrying trend developing here.

Another worrying trend is laying blame on poor refereeing decisions (I feel a lady luck coming on). I hope that behind the scenes Mark Hughes and his staff are accepting that there are severe weaknesses in the team and concentrating their efforts on putting them right.

I think they should start with the fact that we can't defend, we can't score goals, and our midfield is none too clever either. Thank heavens for Brad Friedel.

Oh happy days!! :(

had Henchoz remained on the pitch we would have lost 3/4-0 so it did us a favour really.

That's my impression too, and part of the reason why I left the ground feeling strangely optimistic. I'm sure I wouldn't if the halves had been the other way round! As mentioned on the Todd thread, the defence looked so much more secure with him there. For everyone having a go at Neill, lay off - yes, his forward passing was poor but a couple of times in the first half he was (rightly) having a right go at the players in front of him, I would guess cos they weren't moving and giving him a passing option. Certainly looked that way to me. Result - a lump forwards (pun intended) that the opposition pick up.

To those saying the sending off didn't change the result, fair enough IMHO, like NNN says it might even have helped, but let's have a look at this season's reds..............

Neill at Portsmouth - can't complain

Todd at Portsmouth - rescinded

Tugay (h) to Spurs - iffy

Henchoz (h) to News - iffy

add that to the dodgy penalties against and tell me we've had a fair balance of decisions. Perhaps not every penalty or red card has changed a result but no question we'd have a few more points with even breaks. Makes a lot of difference when you're in the position we are.

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.