BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

[Archived] Mccarthy

He has been diving quite a bit. Benni certainly goes to ground easily. I've thought this for a while but Saturday's was just the most blatant attempt at cheating by him, not a one-off.

It might be all the rage in Portugal but most people don't want to see anymore of it here.

Yes I 100% agree with you FLB. We all complain bitterly about other teams and their cheating players, so it is only fair and logical that that we should condemn any of our own players that resort to these sort of tactics.

Come on Sparky; have a word with our players and let them know that this kind of thing will not be tolerated.

Most offsides against

1 McCarthy (Blackburn) 39

2 Bellamy (Liverpool) 31

3 Corradi (Man City) 28

4 Bent (Charlton) 27

5 Drogba (Chelsea) 24

These are the latest stats for offsides in PL games through Dec 17.(If Bellamy were here with his 31 we'd really have a label regarding offsides strikers.)Don't you all recall that Andy Cole was perpetually offside?(it seemed that way to me many times and a look at the stats from his final year bears that out)

In 03/04 final stats:

Most offsides against

1 Angel (Aston Villa) 78

2 Cole (Blackburn) 69

This to say that some strikers seem to make their living pushing the envelope of being off/on with the timing of their runs and where they play off the defenders shoulders.Benni ,it seems ,chooses to live dangerously in regards his positioning and will probably continue to do so.However,this doesn't make him poor striker.While he hasn't scored as many as Egil (he scored 13 goals in his 81 app for Rovers) as USA supposed earlier his strike rate is commendable 9 goals in 24 matches.To underscore what an important player Benni has been for us this year:we have not lost a game in which Benni scored this year in all competitions and long may that stat stand.Sparky made a quote somewhere today I read that Benni can be a 20 goal scorer and I hope he's right.

Simon Garner was the guest expert on Radio Lancs on Saturday and in his postmatch analysis was very complimntary about Benni. He said that he plays his game on the shoulder of the last defender and it is his style.On Saturday he was unlucky with his second "goal" which should have stood. He got it wrong on the third but the first was just a follow through off the keeper.

Mmmm I must be the only one seeing it. No creedence lent to the quality and timing of the ball in to him theory? Or is Benni another crticism bulls eye for Rovers fans?

Watch some of them and think about it. If McCarthy had staying onside as his primary focus he would never have got close to the balls that were played in, not in all cases but some, like the two goals that were disallowed, had he stayed onside the ball would have sailed past him.

Then we'd all be calling him lazy for not going for it

I'm with you on this. For the goal that stood, it was significant that Neill hit the ball first time, and even then Benni was only marginally onside. If Neill had taken a touch first Benni would have been yards off. I think his offsides are a price we pay for that fact that most of his goals have been effectively 1-on-1 with the keeper, which he usually puts away with aplomb. Nine goals before Chrimbo will do for me thank you very much.

Just two observations:

The timing between the players is still being worked. Once they understand eachother, McCarthy won't be offside as often.

One way to avoid offsides is to go to the line and cross. I rarely see that happening.

And Bellamy's record is far worse in offsides per minute.

Just two observations:

The timing between the players is still being worked. Once they understand eachother, McCarthy won't be offside as often.

One way to avoid offsides is to go to the line and cross. I rarely see that happening.

In the premiership, Man Utd aside, it is extrmely rare for wingers to cross from the byline, you much more see crosses from deepish or abou 10 yards from the byline. Not sure why, it never really seems the game plan for most teams.

In Rovers case in particular we certainly are not going to see much of that as none of our wingers seem to have the required pace. Saying that Bentley accelearation for the goal was phenomenol, but not something he has employed often.

In the premiership, Man Utd aside, it is extrmely rare for wingers to cross from the byline, you much more see crosses from deepish or abou 10 yards from the byline. Not sure why, it never really seems the game plan for most teams.

In Rovers case in particular we certainly are not going to see much of that as none of our wingers seem to have the required pace. Saying that Bentley accelearation for the goal was phenomenol, but not something he has employed often.

Nah, the fullback was wrong footed, and then gave up on the play. He'd have had to stop, turn and then go - all the while Bentley was going full speed. Only Cashley and a few others would be able to do that.

The answer is to put the ball into the space between the keeper and the defence quicker and with less deliberation. There is nothing more frustrating for a striker than to move into a great position and to not get the ball until you are marked up tight again.

Just two observations:

Funny (NOT) how the only player who seems to have worked this out is going to be gone come january time more than likely!! :(

Just two observations:

exactly right. benni, like the others on the list, is bound to be flagged offside a lot as he plays on the shoulder of the last defender.

there are times when he needs to be more perceptive and aware, but it's harsh to be too critical.

anyway, he's a long way to go before he emulates the 'offside king'- egil ostenstadt (and he DIDNT play on the shoulder).

Having seen Benni's "dive" again it does appear that there was some contact...so not as much a dive as it appeared so my reaction was a bit over-the-top. Despite the touch it doesn't look inevitable that he has to throw his arms up like a big girl and try and make the most of it however. Otherwise it might have been a case for a pen...but instead he made such a meal of it that we had no chance.

I was more upset about Benni's dive than I was any of his offsides. I hope Hughes gives him a roasting, it was poor poor poor. I don't wantto see my team playing that way. If I recall he still had a chnce of doing soething with the ball when he went to ground.

Let's nip this in the bud Sparky.

USA, They showed it again on Sky from a different angle. Even Andy Gray commented that Benni had been slated up and down the country but in actual fact it was a little harsh.

At the end of the day Sonko clipped his ankles and it made him fall. The only dissapointing thing was the way he threw his arms up in the air, he was however clipped and was unable to stay on his feet.

I think it might've been given if McCarthy didn't simulate simulation - if you get my drift.

I doubt it somehow. It's ok to fall over when clipped but then just get back up and get on with it. I really, really hate it when players fake it to con the referee or opposing players. It was embarrassing to me when he went down like that, there's just no need for it. If he was clipped and went down and the ref wasn't going to give it, fair enough, get back up and play on.

I'm also really tired of players who mouth off at the officials everytime something goes against them. The sooner they start to book/send off players who says anything to referees the better. Only captains should be allowed to approach the referee when something happens, instead of the mob of players you get these days. They are grown men, but you wouldn't know it by the way they act would you?

And me.

*Wonders which one was Jan*

Hang on, are you guys saying that was actually anything resembling a penalty? Their player didn't seem anywhere near Benni by the time he went down. Honestly, the other angle shows contact?Damned conspiracies!!

Archived