BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

[Archived] David Bentley

Blackburn star David Bentley is keen to sign a new deal at Ewood Park.

Rovers boss Mark Hughes intimated last week that he was looking to offer Bentley a new contract to ward off potential suitors. Bentley has been in fine form this season for Rovers and the club are looking to reward him with a new improved contract.

The player's agent Robert Segal revealed talks were ongoing between both parties and that Bentley was happy to extend his stay at Blackburn.

"There is ongoing discussions going on regarding David's contract," Segal told skysports.com.

"I think there is a willingness from both sides to reach an agreement. Blackburn said they would reward him with a new contract if he did well and they are now doing what they promised they would. David is happy at Blackburn and I believe the deal could be a one-year extension to his contract."

Sky Sports Report

Excellent News for Rovers and well done for Hughesy sticking with the midfielder.

How the days of an England manager visiting Ewood Park to watch Blackburn days, are not too far away!!!

:rover:

• Replies 142
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Yes but in the world of footballers' wages he's still not going to be earning mega-bucks and his performances have improved enormously so I reckon I'd rather we paid him it and kept him happy at rovers than get stingy over it and risk losing him.

• 2 weeks later...

Oh dear, I knew I shouldn't have had those extra beers today, I was sure I was reading about Reid. The fact he signed his contract last summer didn't get strike me as suspicious either :lol:

Sorry guys :wstu:

btw that arrows supposed to point at me

Not gonna drink tomorrow I promise :)

• 1 month later...
Bentley has got balls to sign a new deal with us, thus kissing his England chances goodbye for the next couple of years.

Not certain I agree with you except that Maclaren is blind to players from the provines unless they come from 'Boro. Chant starts "If Downing plays for England so do I", chant ends.

The reason Bentley has progressed this season is that he is guaranteed to play every week, that wasn't the case at Arsenal so he wouldn't have got a chance there. Sorry, I forgot wonderkid Walcott got a place in Germany without playing for the Gooners. Chant starts "if Maclaren manages England so do I", chant ends. I know Sven picked the team but I noticed that Maclaren was involved in the German fiasco.

Anyway, I'm delighted he's signed an extension, if Man U come after him they will need to dig out their cheque book. I'm confident that John Williams will have ensured that any minimum fee is realistic for the Rovers.

As for Bentley's England chances, they will improve when smiling Steve gets the bullet. That might be sooner than expected if Tel Aviv proves to be a failure.

Why is that true? Micah Richards, Joey Barton, Konchesky, Andy Johnson, Ben Foster, Chris Kirkland are all at similar or lesser clubs but have recently been in the england squad. Seems more players from small teams are breaking in nowadays.

Why is that true? Micah Richards, Joey Barton, Konchesky, Andy Johnson, Ben Foster, Chris Kirkland are all at similar or lesser clubs but have recently been in the england squad. Seems more players from small teams are breaking in nowadays.

Agreed. The big problem for Bentley is that his best position is right wing and currently we have loads of right sided players: Lennon, Gerrard, SWP, Dyer, Milner, Jenas, and J Cole can play there. Beckhma couldmake a comeback too. While Bentley has recently been playing better than many of these it would be hard in my opinion to really argue that he was a better allround player than any of those apart from perhaps Jenas and Milner.

Its going to be a pretty tough scrap for him to get a place.

I'd say he's got a great chance of (and deserves) an England call up, and what's more, I think he'll get it.

I admit that there is strong competition from that list of players but he is a better crossed of the ball than all with the exception of Gerrard (who should be in the centre anyway).

SWP - off form, Lennon has bags of skill and a few caps under his belt. Dyer was played off the front man in the last game and Milner/Jenas.....well they're just not good enough yet. Joe Cole - when fit - will hopefully be raiding down the left.

If we're playing direct attacking football as England do when they're playing well, Bentley would fit right in. Imagine how many Peter Crouch would score (and how many more he'd miss!) with Bentley's crosses.

Archived