BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

[Archived] Charlton Preview

Bentley's a serial diver and I don't like it either. And has he ever passed to Bert on the overlap?

Still, I suppose with our currently limited means, we have to accept flaws in all our players

Both of those were fouls. First one he jumped out of the way of the tackle, but he didn't make a meal of it, if you'd like him to leave his leg there and risk possible injury then fine. Second one he threw himself over the leg, that has and will always happen. He made the most of a foul.

• Replies 172
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Both of those were fouls. First one he jumped out of the way of the tackle, but he didn't make a meal of it, if you'd like him to leave his leg there and risk possible injury then fine. Second one he threw himself over the leg, that has and will always happen. He made the most of a foul.

So you'd be quite relaxed if Bent had done the same and got Bert sent off?

Bentley dives at least once in most games. Thatcher sent a telegram announcing the first challenge; if Bentley was as good as he thinks he is, he would have been off and away leaving the thug looking like the oaf that he is.

I thought the second one was a booking (even though Bentley played for it) but the first one was harsh on Thatcher. If you start booking players because 'they could have injured him if he had left his leg there' then I'm sorry but that's not what football should be about. You should book a player when they have made a foul not for a tackle that could have resulted in a foul!

Bentley does tend to play act a bit and I don't like it. I hate it when players of other clubs do it, and it would be most hypercritical if I turned a blind eye to our own players doing it.

The first yellow card Thatcher received was a clear yellow card, although he didn't touch Bentley the intent was there, i think Bentley went upto the Ref and told him not to book him but he had already made up his mind.

And the second yellow was the easiest decision in the world. I still don't know why he had to go into Bentley like that, because to be honest Bentley was going nowhere.

Yes, Bentley does dive sometimes, but who doesn't???

So you'd be quite relaxed if Bent had done the same and got Bert sent off?

Bentley dives at least once in most games. Thatcher sent a telegram announcing the first challenge; if Bentley was as good as he thinks he is, he would have been off and away leaving the thug looking like the oaf that he is.

Tripe, utter tripe. Thatcher charged into Bentley for the first and quite reasonably Bentley jumped out the way, he actually ran to the ref to ask him not to book him but to no avail. Clearly you'd rather see him hold his ground and suffer serious injury. Second one he was hacked to the ground and it made no a jot of difference what he did as it was as blatant a booking as you'll ever see. I'm convinced some people just want to whine regardless, if they can't moan about the score they'll pick non-existent faults about our players instead.

Happy with the result in what was a strange game with some crusty goals but who cares, always a treat seeing us hitting a few goals in.

Regardless of the first booking if you are stupid enough to dive in for the second tackle like Thatcher did you deserve to go.

Operation Ewood all went a bit wrong for the charlton massive! :lol:

Thatcher suffers in part for his horrific reputation. The first yellow wouldn't have happend imo if it had been someone else as it could have been viewed as simple mistiming. The fact that Thatcher has a record of going out to actively hurt players made the refs mind up for him.

On that score he only has himself to blame.

And Bentley does dive. Im sure Sparky doesn't like it, and hopefully over time it will peter our.

Thatcher suffers in part for his horrific reputation. The first yellow wouldn't have happend imo if it had been someone else as it could have been viewed as simple mistiming. The fact that Thatcher has a record of going out to actively hurt players made the refs mind up for him.

On that score he only has himself to blame.

And Bentley does dive. Im sure Sparky doesn't like it, and hopefully over time it will peter our.

As long as he gets away with it, it will never peter out. It is down to MH to tell him in no uncertain terms to cut it out!

He then got up straight away and I would agree that he went to the ref asking for Thatcher not to be booked. I'm always wary of judging players for avoiding challenges. If they don't make a meal of it then it is difficult to be critical of them for doing it.

Bumped into a few charlton fans on the way home at charnock richard services (it took me till 18.00 to get to the m65) one of them said "Not content enough with the full members' cup you had to go relegate us as well!" Had a bit of a chat with them and they were alll grand lads. Personally, I hope they stay up and wigan and west ham go down.

Someone needs to have a word with Bentley, I did not like his antics for the Charlton player to get sent off. We whine enough about divers we don't nee one of our own.

That is absolute garbage! (can't use stronger words than that on here, mores the pity!)

The firts Bentley jumped to get out of the way and even told the ref that. The second there's no reason why thatcher needed to go in like that and caught him well and good. He was already walking when the ref showed him the yellow let alone the red.

I know people from blackburn like to whinge, but if you want something to whinge about, what about our pathetic singing? 6000 charlton fans outsinging us in our own backyard! Boom boom boom gerrineterum boom boom!

Guest shoppybrfc

Emerton was poor defensively, he couldnt even control Thomas, but Bret was great going forward.

Roberts technique and first touch is still awful, and his both his shots were poorly hit, a better keeper would have saved both. Roberts poor shooting and finishing wont help next season if we want to be top 6.

But he didn't just jump out of the way. His legs went horizontal and he landed in a heap, doing an excellent impression of having been scythed down.

so bents would of been better to not get out of the way and have his legs broke?

if roberts had gone down when fouled in the first half we would ((well maybe knowing the refs)) have had a pen.

which would you prefer ?

I'd also really like it if someone pointed out to Benni that when a high ball is lumped up to him, falling over rather than either jumping for it or staying on his feet is NEVER (repeat ad nauseam) going to be a free kick. He looked like my friends' baby, who's learning to walk, today- repeatedly being on his backside with his arms out. All we didn't get was the crying.

We were much better when Derbs came on- mainly because he had a focus- which was to get the ball in the back of the net- however it had to be done. He wasn't trying for artistic impression, merely foot, ball, goal. Which had been sadly lacking to that point.

I have to say that I don't think I've ever come away from an emphatic win so cross. I just felt that the front (ish) 3 of four thought they were already on their holidays, or too good for the match. In the end (against 10 men) they were. But for a while it was close.

Oh no I'm agreeing with you again Jan :rolleyes: especialy waste a space McCarthy and what would appear quite a few people did also on Saturday - but there where others who didn't - sorry folks but he does my head in regardless of the goals - not being able to jump or even do the simplest things is an absolute joke -and bar his little flick on Saturday for the goal - What else did he do? Think Derbyshire showed how it should be and then nearly did it again a couple of minutes afterwards.

Considering we played with the equivalent of 9 men all the match all match (McCarthy hardly existent - Bentley and MGP in bits) scoring four was some achievement. especially when my sceptic powers worked wonders - yet again just as I spoke to the lad behind us saying that we would probably give the Addicks a goal ( he had 4-1 with Roberts first goal) Warnock steps in with his superb attempt at an own goal and we do our usual gratuity payment to the opposition.

So we role on, happy with the result but lets not gloss over the fact we never had to get out of first gear due to Chorlton and the Wheelies being so poor, even after we contrived ( yet again) to help the opposition into scoring. Play like that next week and Newcastle will think its Ewood again for the past two seasons.

Looking at who the other teams have to play I would say we will probably end up where we are now despite the blow of the trumpet - the claret and blue has put a stop to that.

Benni is paid to score goals, and he's scored 21 of the little blighters... end of!!

Ward used to work hard, would you rather have him back!!!

Some people amaze me. It's the type of player Benni is, it's already been noted that he works a lot harder now than he ever has in his career. It's also his first season in the prem, give the boy a chance for gods sake.

I disagree he's our best of the last 12 years (Sutton and Bellers were better I thought) but it's ridiculous to see Benni getting the stick he is. He's a bit out of form at the moment and not so involved in the games but he's the best finisher we've had since Shearer. I'm happy with one moment of magic a game and 21 goals in a season, we all should be... Bentley is getting some stick as well but he put some good crosses in on Saturday. If Benni or Bentley leave we'll miss them like hell next year. Some of the stuff on here is embarrasing...

He's definitely up there as one of the best strikers we've had in the last 15 years. I agree it is ridiculous how much stick he is getting. You need to remember this is probably the most physically demanding league in Europe and he has played nearly ever match this season, he's probably physically knackered. I bet he's never worked so hard in his life! Hopefully he stays and we can make another top quality addition to the striking department to share the goalscoring workload.

if you want a striker to run around in circles then ask for dickov back!

benni is a laid-back player. that's just his style. :tu:

to quote that varnish chap ron seal...benni does exactly what it says on a strikers tin...SCORES FRIGGING GOALS !!!!!!

There are some right moaning b@$tard$ on here. We strolled to a 4-1 win against a bad team after giving them an equalliser. What do I read on here: McCarthy is useless (20+ goals not counting), Bentley is a diver (15+ assists not counting), MGP is a puff, Emerton can't defend, Roberts can't trap a bag of sand, the crowd wasn't big enough, the pies were cold, blah blah blah.

For Pete's sake can you not enjoy a win? If you want to watch hard working football go to any non-league game, those lads give their all, don't dive, put in hard tackles, don't care about the crowd size but the ony downside is that it's crap to watch.

Archived