BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

[Archived] City Want Sven

When Jack was first buying at Ewood, lists like that MEN article regularly appeared linking Rovers to every player immaginable.

Don't think this will come to anything but I have seen the following reported in unrelated articles;

The FA have written to the DTI (or whatever it is called now) asking for help in deciding what is fit and proper re football club ownership.

The anti-money laundering unit have written to their Thai counterparts asking if there is anything they need to know about the money used to buy Citeh.

The Thai authorities have said they will stop the Citeh take over.

£50m may seem a big budget but if it also includes wages for the players bought then it is adequate to keep Citeh up and not a lot more. Don't forget the list of players Citeh have lost- they need a bunch of basics putting in place to keep them in the Prem before the blue mooners dream on.

• Replies 280
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Sven was in a London restaurant discussing players with 5 or 6 football agents on Monday night so that's where this has come from. The list is genuine but is no more that a casual wish-list put together by agents that are trying to flog players. No conversations have taken place.

Unfortunately the usual suspects at Rovers (Benni, MGP and Bentley) will always appear on these lists as their agents are hell-bent on getting them a big move.

from the article "But I would categorically say the chances of Shaun going back to City, with Eriksson as their manager, are very, very slim. Majorly slim in fact."

so thats him signing next week then :lol:

I do hope City aren't going to become a Northern Spurs.

They need to be very careful. If they come into the transfer market and spend money like water with such a dodgepot owner they might easily end up as the Lancastrian Leeds.

They need to be very careful. If they come into the transfer market and spend money like water with such a dodgepot owner they might easily end up as the Lancastrian Leeds.

Or West Ham! :D

I guess it'll depend on who they get in though, I do hope it all backfires on them. They do seem to throwing their cash around, but then so do Wigan as they are getting in a lot of new players in too!

If anyone could give me one good reason why Mark Hughes would go to City I'd be panicking with the best of them, but I can't think of a single one. The cash the manager's supposedly about to be given would only begin to build a competent team at City who scarcely have a player of any real ability left. The club has been so badly run that there must be enough dead wood left around for the whole country's bonfire night. They don't have European football this season and probably not for several seasons unless they get very lucky. They go through managers at a rate of knots because they demand success. The board are not going to be 100% behind the manager, because there's so much uncertainty around at the moment. There are lots of disadvantages to working at a small unrecognised club like Rovers but I can't see a move to City doing any managers CV any good for a while yet. Of course, we all know people do irrational things at times but Mark Hughes has never struck me as being prone to that kind of thing, and going to City from Rovers would defy all logic.

No smoke without fire, and the Guardian and MEN are probably more reliable than the other rags.

Be interesting to hear Sparky’s response next week when/if asked whether Man City approached him

As things stand, I can't envisage any reason why Hughes would want to leave at this point as it appears he is in a position to take things forward next season.

Perhaps if he had concerns about the future under a new regime here?

It may have something to do with him slagging off the president in the papers the day after the title win and also telling the players that it would be his last game in charge! Not to mention the president blames him for losing Beckham to LA Galaxy.

Oh no, will they come after Sparky?

I CAN see just one little crumb of comfort in that scenario: at least Sparky is very unlikely to come poaching our players if he goes to Real Madrid. We can't say the same if he goes to any club in the Prem. :ph34r:

If anyone could give me one good reason why Mark Hughes would go to City I'd be panicking with the best of them, but I can't think of a single one. The cash the manager's supposedly about to be given would only begin to build a competent team at City who scarcely have a player of any real ability left. The club has been so badly run that there must be enough dead wood left around for the whole country's bonfire night. They don't have European football this season and probably not for several seasons unless they get very lucky. They go through managers at a rate of knots because they demand success. The board are not going to be 100% behind the manager, because there's so much uncertainty around at the moment. There are lots of disadvantages to working at a small unrecognised club like Rovers but I can't see a move to City doing any managers CV any good for a while yet. Of course, we all know people do irrational things at times but Mark Hughes has never struck me as being prone to that kind of thing, and going to City from Rovers would defy all logic.

It seems perfectly plausible to me when you consider the mentality of football managers. They all believe their own publicity and think they can do anything. Rovers are an over-achieving club with a small fanbase, City an under-achieving one with a large fanbase. Hughes will be convinced that we are over-achieving because of him and there's no reason why he can't do the same at City. All things considered, an over-achieving City will probably do better than an over-achieving us. Exactly the same as Fat Sam going to Newcastle.

I for one am worried.

True... Hughes said it himself that we over-acheived last season (when we finished 6th). I am sure he finds it a great challenge here but he must also be thinking he may need to move on to fufill his own ambitons. Only this January Hughes said he needs investment or he would not be able to take us much further.

With Man City he would:

Have more money to spend on players

Be able to attract higher quality players (and work with them)

Have more chance of breaking into the top 4-5

Be able to awake a sleeping giant and receive national praise (leading to an even bigger job)

He is never going to move straight to Man Utd from Blackburn (or this would be very unlikely unless he pulled off something amazing like top 4 finish, or FA/UEFA cup double).

I just think there was something in the rumours. As I said previously, hopefully he is asked next week if he was approached by Man City because I would be intrigued to hear his answer.

John, you really do have a very unrealistically rosy view of Man City.

With Man City, he would have a squad with no backbone and chunks of flesh missing,

No European football in prospect so unableto attract better players

An unknown quantity in charge with huge ???s hanging over whether he will even be free to attend games

No stadium and part of the attendance mortgaged

Inferior training and off-field facilities

SGE's first task is to ward off certain relegation.

He is never going to move straight to Man Utd from Blackburn (or this would be very unlikely unless he pulled off something amazing like top 4 finish, or FA/UEFA cup double).

I don't see why not . Ferguson isn't going anywhere for at least a few seasons . If Hughes consistently keeps us punching above our weight his UTD credentials would more than make up for lack of top Euro experience . I should think UTD fans would welcome the British type of managerial continuity - Hughes gas sufficient gravitas I reckon .

John, you really do have a very unrealistically rosy view

Philipl calling someone else out on looking at something in an unrealistically rosy way. All I need now is a marriage proposal from SAR and I'll have seen everything :lol:

I know you lot are total depressives but what has been unrealistically rosy about my postings about Rovers?

Which players we have not wanted to leave apart from Bellamy (and we would have kept him but for Cisse breaking another leg) have we lost?

Has Hughes left Ewood?

Has the Rovers transfer policy been a success? (is the squad stronger now than it was when Souness was here?)

Have we paid over the odds for many players?

Are the club's finances in a decent position? Decent enough to be able to cut ticket prices by 25%?

Are the results on the field in terms of top half of the richest league in the world, Cup semi-finals and European football pretty good or what?

Compare and contrast that with the lunacy being written about the steaming pile of effluent at Eastlands being a threat to us. The ? over Thaksin is not going away in much of a hurry. The likeliest scenario there is that the UK will find a way of letting Thaksin invest his dosh in Citeh's debts but how much of the stash will be left unmolested for transfer activity will remain an open issue. SGE will create a little Sweden and Citeh will survive in the Prem playing some pretty stuff but mostly pretty turgid stuff.

Archived